PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to Active duty... How is Lejeune? :P

Requiem
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello, Marines and other servicemembers. This past year I've gone through my Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) and arrived at my unit in December. Thing is, things aren't going very well for me financially and I can't find a job that would suit my liking or make me happy. My current reserve unit is going through changes and things aren't really happening... they're kind of in limbo which means I'm kind of in limbo in the civilian world and at my unit. I loved being active duty as much as it sucked sometimes. When I was in pain I could smile and think "Why would I do anything different... I love this job." I want that again. I feel like nothing else could fulfill that need.

Another part of the story is that I have a bonus which ties me to my unit, but I have not received yet. I'm going to talk to a recruiter near me to discuss my opportunities and options come monday to see where that would put me and what life would look like if I could go active duty. IE if I would have a choice where to go (preferably Lejeune I think), if I would have a separate bonus, and all that other jazz.

And, as always, there's a girl involved . I've heard it time and time again from the lovebirds that want to marry their girls ASAP and have them live with them [then their lives turn to hell] to the more experienced who will say "Wait 'till you've got a deployment and at least CPL under your wing before you get married." Honestly, I'm sure some of you will say I'm stupid and what not, but she is another part of the story that I have to include because she's a huge part of my life (let it be known w'eve known each other for a few years now, she's not some random broad).
Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, I've thought about my options (Lejeune/Pendleton/Oki) and I think I'd prefer Lejeune if I had the choice for multiple reasons.

I would appreciate any/all advice or comments on the matter, both on Lejeune, my contract, etc.
Thank you, Marines
-Req

PS: I'm not making any drastic changes to my life in the next couple months. At least not till summer at the earliest if I ended up going through with this.

smokingloon
02-23-2009, 1:37 PM
Before I state my opinion, I want to ask some questions. I am not too familiar with the Reserve component as I did my time in Active.

What is your MOS currently?

How long have you been in?

Are you on a 6 year contract?

If you go active, how long will you have to be in that status?

What is your age?

lcpl. huynh
02-23-2009, 5:26 PM
You from 23rd Marines? Stay reserve if you can, trust me, you'll be deployed regardless, just you don't have to deal with as much bs that the active duty marines do, and you'll get BAH when you deploy as a reservist. If you decide to ignore me and go active anyways, go to Pendleton. I just got back from Lejeune yesterday, Pendleton is better, especially for your significant other.

Requiem
02-23-2009, 5:41 PM
If you decide to ignore me and go active anyways, go to Pendleton. I just got back from Lejeune yesterday, Pendleton is better, especially for your significant other.
Why do you say that?
Also, no I'm not with 23rd Marines. I'm with 4th Force.

Mos: 0321
Been in: 1 year as of this month
6-year contract: yes
I'm 18. Graduated HS at 16 in 2007.

dirtykoala
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
hard question. i got out of the marines in july 07, i have alot of opinions about lejeune, i hated it, the higher ups are way more uptight than pendleton, theres nothing to do out there, the weather sucks, your surrounded by hill billys (that dont like you)... i would do it all again in a heart beat. if i had never been there and i was stationed at pendleton, i wouldnt have missed a thing, and would have had a blast being in CA with all the things to do in san diego, but being out there was a great life experience. i want to go back and visit. i feel like going through the culture shock of the marines, and then the culture shock of being in north carolina really helped me. being an 03 though, you might hate life more than i did out there, its alot more jungle like, with the humidity and greenery. training on the mountains in ca sucked, but at least you can breath when you walk and you dont get monkey butt first thing in the morning when you go outside. with wind chill in NC, winter morning PT is about 5 degrees, and summer morning PT is about 80 plus the humidity. we had days where we were sent home because our shop got to 135 degrees inside. ill pm you my number, like i said, i have a lot of opinions about NC, give me a call if you want, its hard to type every point i would like to get across, and im sure youll have more questions than just "how is lejeune?"

smokingloon
02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I just want to say that if I knew what I know now and I was in your position, this is what I would do.

I would stay a reservist and ask to get activated in the reserve component. I hear they make more money. Don't know how true this statement is but wouldn't hurt to find out.

I would get out of the conus and experience the world. I was stationed at Pendleton for almost 4 years. I had my reasons at the time for wanting to stay in cali, but now regret it.

I have seen plenty of marines get married and divorced within their first enlistment. I have heard of many stories where marines in my unit meet some chick out in the clubs only to find out later that chick's husband is in iraq. If your girl means that much to you, just stay in the reserves. But seeing how you are an 03, you will be shipping out for a deployment soon.

Desert_Rat
02-25-2009, 8:36 PM
I enjoyed Lejeune while I was there in 95.
But however I enjoyed Pendleton way more.Being a Tracker the water was "better" a touch warmer. And there is more sun in so-cal 3rd Assault Amphib.Bn ramp is at Del Mar beach,so there was plenty "good viewing"
to be had in the summer,being that the public beach is across the street.
Others above have good points as well.
The only thing I recommend is not to jump into anything too quickly.Slow down(if you have time ha ha)and sort it out and make a calculated decision
Semper Fi

lcpl. huynh
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
What they all said

Semper Fi

BBrown
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
The pasture is always gonna be greener on the other side. That is a fact. I lucked out(depending on how you look at it) and got a chance to be stationed at both Pendleton, The Stumps, and Camp Lejeune. The Marine who said Lejeune Marines were more uptight was spot on. There is definitely a lot more Brass over there. Every base has its ups and downs. It won't mean a hill of beans what we say about them, because they are our opinions. Your mind needs to be focused more on going over to the suck. Garrison duty stations will be a blur when your op tempo picks up. As far as going Reserve or Active. Make that decison when it needs to be made. I got out because I sat down one night and I wrote down the good and bad things of being an active duty Marine. Obviously the bad outweighed the good, but that does not mean that it will not be right for you. As far as your girl. Marriage is not something you should rush into. Yes that is nice you have known her for years, and she loves you yadda yadda yadda. I have seen it and heard it before, unfortunatley it is the norm for things to go sideways when you come back and you are no longer the same person. This is just a fair warning. You have to ultimatley look at what is best for the both of you. Carting her to a duty station and leaving her alone while you go hunt the muhjcong is not their idea of a fun honeymoon. I could go on and on about this situation, but you need to sit down and make a list of your own, of the positives, and negatives. I hope you find your answer Marine.

Semper Fi,

gwl
03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
The pasture is always gonna be greener on the other side. That is a fact. I lucked out(depending on how you look at it) and got a chance to be stationed at both Pendleton, The Stumps, and Camp Lejeune. The Marine who said Lejeune Marines were more uptight was spot on. There is definitely a lot more Brass over there. Every base has its ups and downs. It won't mean a hill of beans what we say about them, because they are our opinions. Your mind needs to be focused more on going over to the suck. Garrison duty stations will be a blur when your op tempo picks up. As far as going Reserve or Active. Make that decison when it needs to be made. I got out because I sat down one night and I wrote down the good and bad things of being an active duty Marine. Obviously the bad outweighed the good, but that does not mean that it will not be right for you. As far as your girl. Marriage is not something you should rush into. Yes that is nice you have known her for years, and she loves you yadda yadda yadda. I have seen it and heard it before, unfortunatley it is the norm for things to go sideways when you come back and you are no longer the same person. This is just a fair warning. You have to ultimatley look at what is best for the both of you. Carting her to a duty station and leaving her alone while you go hunt the muhjcong is not their idea of a fun honeymoon. I could go on and on about this situation, but you need to sit down and make a list of your own, of the positives, and negatives. I hope you find your answer Marine.

Semper Fi,

:thumbsup: That's good advice.

dwa
03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
im not familiar with marine posts but if your looking at the corp as a career personally id go active. if your looking to get into the thick of things (this is my experience in the army i don't know what the corp does but id think it would be similar) when you deploy active would be the way to go. in my experience reserve units end up with the more menial missions with the tougher ones going to active. hope i could help.

ps the army gives bonus for going active i dont know if marines do but something to look into if they do.

NiteQwill
03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Does the Marine reserves have active duty positions like the Army Reserve? If so, look into that. Keeps you at home and less of an active-duty Marine.

As far as marriage. Get deployed first, trust me. A deployment will either make or break you and your marriage. You will not come back the same person (no one comes back the same person). When your mind is straight and you've seen the ****, decide then (both of you), if long time commitment is the answer.

I was a counselor for some time for all branches, I've seen 15 year marriages go down the drain due to a deployment; on the other side, I've seen marriages/relationships become stronger because of a deployment. YMMV

Requiem
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
"Corps", please... not "corp".

I appreciate all the advice gentlemen. I believe the Marine Reserve has Active Duty Special Work positions. But I don't think that'd keep me close to home since the Corps is sparsely populated compared to the Army.

My current take on things is I'm going to try to go to as many [military] schools I can (jump, SERE, etc.) and work my *** off in terms of MCIs to make CPL by December, or a little after that. In the civilian world have a part time job and reassess things once I have a little experience under my belt. The Marine recruiter I talked to said I wouldn't have a choice between the 3 Reconnaissance Battalions, I'd just get sent.

I want to thank you all again for the advice.

Requiem out.

Vapor
03-08-2009, 2:51 PM
Im also thinking about switching to active. My reserve units getting activated in a couple months and im gonna wait til after my first deployment so i can get a feel of active duty life. i suggest u do the same if u can manage til then. the one thing that kept me from goin active in the beginning is the possiblilty of getting stationed somewhere like lejeune or 29 palms. SD :)

sgtb
03-09-2009, 4:26 PM
north carolina sucks.... i was out there for a while.