PDA

View Full Version : Gun Free School Zone map for CA

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
In response to discussions about this map kinda threadjacking another thread, I am starting it here to keep that one cleaner.

I am friends with the person that is doing the map, I will be passing along any comments or suggestions about it to him.

http://www.0xdecafbad.com/gfsz has Google Map integration and is trying to get all the schools that qualify in the state of California plotted on the map.

Currently it only has private schools due to a lack of a suitable source for charter and public schools. He has contacted the Dept of Education for the state to try to get an address listing of all the missing schools.

This map is a work in progress, its also the first one he has done so expect bugs to be present.

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be passed on to the author of the page.

KWA-S
02-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Cool map. For the public schools, you might have to go district to district.

Do you have plans for including universities/colleges? Maybe as a different color (seeing as a different law prohibits protection on university property)?

Piper
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I think it's still useful. It gives you a general idea where all of the schools are. Unfortunately, it also gives a madman the location of all of the free fire zones that are available in an area. And that's really what our childrens and grandchildren's schools are.

mblat
02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Well.....
I appreciate the effort, but like you said - it is truly inpomplete. Missing schools my kids used to/currently go to

DDT
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Well.....
I appreciate the effort, but like you said - it is truly inpomplete. Missing schools my kids used to/currently go to

It doesn't have any public schools yet, they're working on that. It is a great idea and I know there were a couple other, similar projects out there if you care to search.

alexander
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Great. Mandatory open carry detour required to pass through Santa Barbara.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17806&stc=1&d=1235420857

dilligaffrn
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17806&stc=1&d=1235420857

San Marcos High and La Cumbre Jr. High will probably overlap 101 as well...

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Wow, about 6 zones in my area, so I'm guessing with the public schools added to this OC is a no go for me unless things really improve on the CCW front. :(

Dmitri76
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
For those zones that overlap a freeway, or simply in an area where you do not live, or visit often - Would you be expected to "reasonably know" that you are within 1000 ft of a school ?

CCWFacts
02-23-2009, 1:06 PM

Basically any urban area is going to be like a maze of school zones.

Actually, that's good for us. If it were reasonable and practical to bear arms without violating this law, maybe the law would be more defensible. As it is, anyone who lives in an urban city in this state can show that he would have to be spiderman (climbing on rooftops and the sides of buildings) to be able to stay out of safety-free mass-murder zones school zones.

megavolt121
02-23-2009, 1:17 PM
Can he migrate this map over to Google Earth and share the map, that way you don't lose any of the features of google maps. For example, I noticed immediately on his site, I lost all capabilities of using my scroll wheel to zoom.

Librarian
02-23-2009, 1:19 PM
School zones are K-12, so Universities and Colleges don't need the 1000' zones labeled; but without CCW it's not usually legal to bring a gun onto campus.

Similar Google Earth image, with .kml file marking some of the 600+ things Google recognizes as a 'school'.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj284/Librarian_bucket/SF1000circles.jpg

Usual qualifications: not all schools marked, 1000' is approximate, circles centered on the lat/long Google has as the street address rather than the property boundaries.

And, as I remember doing this, I realize I did put in SF State, so a couple of those circles at the south end of 19th avenue in this pic really shouldn't be there.

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 1:22 PM
I always knew SF was diseased by leftism. This picture proves it.

Fate
02-23-2009, 1:41 PM
I saw a "Safe School Zone Bus Stop" sign the other day. :confused:

The city bus stop is outside of the 1000 ft. perimeter. I wonder how far around the bus stop the "school zone" applies. Might have to swing back by there some day and get a better look at the sign.

slappomatt
02-23-2009, 1:55 PM
I would be willing to give a list of public schools in my area. but it would only be a local area in SD. is there a blog or anything where we could post addresses to be added to the DB?

7x57
02-23-2009, 2:11 PM
Hmm, it doesn't show St. Elizabeth's Catholic school in Altadena, just about at Woodbury and Lake. I imagine that school qualifies as possessing the magic zone, it's something like K-8.

7x57

grywlfbg
02-23-2009, 3:15 PM
I always knew SF was diseased by leftism. This picture proves it.

Where "leftism" is described as "people who go to school"? What a terrible disease.

aemergin
02-23-2009, 3:22 PM
Hi, this is my first post here but thought I could share some data for the map (great idea btw!) ..

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/si/ds/pubschls.asp

There you can download the full database of all California schools - type, address, even has latitude and longitude if it helps. Also, those files are maintained and updated daily (supposedly) so if you could find a way to map it as your data for your google map .. it would be some extra code but worth it in the end.

Aemergin / Erik

DDT
02-23-2009, 3:56 PM
Hi, this is my first post here but thought I could share some data for the map (great idea btw!) ..

There you can download the full database of all California schools - type, address, even has latitude and longitude if it helps. Also, those files are maintained and updated daily (supposedly) so if you could find a way to map it as your data for your google map .. it would be some extra code but worth it in the end.

Aemergin / Erik

EXCELLENT first post!

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 3:56 PM
Where "leftism" is described as "people who go to school"? What a terrible disease. from what I've come to understand lately of schools, the two seem to go hand in hand around here. Other than that, I was implying that the map looks like it is covered by a pox. Considering that the pox indicates legal gun free zones, it is indeed a societal disease.

DDT
02-23-2009, 3:58 PM
Where "leftism" is described as "people who go to school"? What a terrible disease.

I totally missed the point too.

grammaton76
02-23-2009, 4:16 PM
Remember to pad ALL of those circles by a generous amount - if the circle is centered on the school and the school grounds are 1000 feet across, it does NOT mean that you may safely open carry on the sidewalk past the gates of the school unmolested. :) For safety's sake, it's a 1000' radius extending uniformly around the property line.

(Grabs popcorn to wait for the "crap, now you're creating a way that we should have 'reasonably known' we were violating a school zone!")

7x57
02-23-2009, 4:16 PM
It just occurred to me that homeschoolers have to declare themselves to be private schools. Do they then magically create a 1000' gun-free zone around their houses? Words fail to express how much that would suck.

OTOH IIRC you can have a gun on school grounds with the principal's written permission. Perhaps I should start the "Davey Crockett school of larnin' and marksmanship". As principal and beloved leader, I declare that no one is allowed on campus without a firearm. :43:

7x57

grammaton76
02-23-2009, 4:19 PM
Given that home schoolers aren't funded, I think they don't get counted. And there's no way to have "reasonably known".

Further complications arise from the concept of a home schooler's field trip - could that become a temporary roving school zone? Particularly if the family lives in an RV...?

7x57
02-23-2009, 4:23 PM
Given that home schoolers aren't funded, I think they don't get counted. And there's no way to have "reasonably known".

Of course they could not have reasonably known, but it probably would cost $THOUSAND to make the state admit that. It's a harassment tool.

Further complications arise from the concept of a home schooler's field trip - could that become a temporary roving school zone? Particularly if the family lives in an RV...?

Good God, the antis could set up roving squads to blanket an area with roving zones anytime they get win of an OC event. :chris:

Well, that's if they could bring themselves not to use gubmint funded education, anyway. :D

7x57

Cypren
02-23-2009, 4:53 PM
Good God, the antis could set up roving squads to blanket an area with roving zones anytime they get win of an OC event. :chris:

Well, that's if they could bring themselves not to use gubmint funded education, anyway. :D

No, no, you need to think of this like a proper card-carrying member of the far left. What's the only thing they hate more than gun owners? HOMESCHOOLERS! Those vile brats aren't being properly indoctrinated to worship the State and its bureaucrats, and they're costing teachers' unions and administrators their fair share of the government piggy bank!

How can we fix this problem? Easy!

Tell the homeschool kids there's an Airsoft match going on at location X where there's an open carry meetup going, and anyone with a gun is a fair game! :43:

...yeah, I have a twisted mind. :D

nick
02-23-2009, 4:57 PM
I think it's still useful. It gives you a general idea where all of the schools are. Unfortunately, it also gives a madman the location of all of the free fire zones that are available in an area. And that's really what our childrens and grandchildren's schools are.

The madmen are the ones who passed this law.

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 5:10 PM
Can he migrate this map over to Google Earth and share the map, that way you don't lose any of the features of google maps. For example, I noticed immediately on his site, I lost all capabilities of using my scroll wheel to zoom.

that should be enabled now, and the circle size is back to 1000 feet (although they are only octogons now to reduce the load of the app).

aemergin
02-23-2009, 5:13 PM
Did that database of schools do you any good? Will we see that incorporated in the future?

Aemergin / Erik

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 5:15 PM
I saw a "Safe School Zone Bus Stop" sign the other day. :confused:

The city bus stop is outside of the 1000 ft. perimeter. I wonder how far around the bus stop the "school zone" applies. Might have to swing back by there some day and get a better look at the sign.

Its a "safe school zone" not a "gun free school zone" the statute does not recognize these, although state law is free to make the entire state a zone of some type :/

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 5:17 PM

Aemergin / Erik

Thanks, will pass that along, that is the same site that the private schools came from. It seemed that the public ones were not as obvious to the creator of that page. The charter ones appear to only be in html format, which is less than suitable, so if anyone knows of a xls or csv or similar listing of charter ones then that can be done too.

Expect these to be added tonight.

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 5:22 PM
It just occurred to me that homeschoolers have to declare themselves to be private schools. Do they then magically create a 1000' gun-free zone around their houses? Words fail to express how much that would suck.

that is a question for debate, but many legislators indicated that yes, yes it does because of the way that the statute defines "school"

18 USC 921(a)
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Basically if you home school your kids you arent allowed to have guns in your house, and anyone that knows you homeschool and is within 1000 feet and not on private property or any of the other exceptions cant have them either.

Given that homeschool addresses are not disclosed however its hard to "know or reasonably should have known" that they are there.

7x57
02-23-2009, 5:24 PM
Basically if you home school your kids you arent allowed to have guns in your house,

This I very much doubt. IIRC the principal can give anyone permission to possess a gun on campus.

I guess I should track it down in the PC.

7x57

Timberline
02-23-2009, 5:26 PM
While the Google map application is a useful rough tool, its inherent weakness is the arbitrary polygonal radius it uses from a single lat/lon point. School yards are large, and often strangely-shaped. A proper GIS tool, such as provided by ESRI, which can project a boundary of 1000 feet from an arbitrary shape, might be the best source for accurate boundary maps handed out at gunshops and Police stations. The Google map will come close, but should only be used for "entertainment" purposes, as the current link advises.

It sure seems there's good cause for having the Authorities bear the cost of this (producing maps for handout), since they imposed the law on us.

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 6:23 PM
Its a "safe school zone" not a "gun free school zone" the statute does not recognize these, although state law is free to make the entire state a zone of some type :/ For 70%+ of the population the state is a no CCW zone.

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 6:46 PM
For 70%+ of the population the state is a no CCW zone.

it may be higher than that, I heard that 90% of the residents in CA live in urban areas, which generally are the ones that do not like CCWs because we should rely on the rampart and bart police to protect us :/

pullnshoot25
02-23-2009, 6:51 PM
THIS IS AWESOME! Great start, I commend your efforts!

Piper
02-23-2009, 6:57 PM
The madmen are the ones who passed this law.

Yeah well, you won't get an argument from me.

DDT
02-23-2009, 7:27 PM
Remember to pad ALL of those circles by a generous amount - if the circle is centered on the school and the school grounds are 1000 feet across, it does NOT mean that you may safely open carry on the sidewalk past the gates of the school unmolested. :) For safety's sake, it's a 1000' radius extending uniformly around the property line.

(Grabs popcorn to wait for the "crap, now you're creating a way that we should have 'reasonably known' we were violating a school zone!")

Actually if you have a local map on you when you are OCing it does create a situation in which you should have "reasonably known" this is EXACTLY why you DO NOT want to pad the circle. If you pad the circle by say 200' but you get stopped 100' into the circle you might be sort of safe but you have a reason to believe that you might be in violation. If you make the circles EXACTLY 1000' then just stay clear of the shaded areas you have taken reasonable measures to identify GFSZs and you also made conscious effort to obey the law. As long as you are out of the "red zone" you cannot be expected to have "reasonably known" that you were violating. Keep the circles exact and stay clear.

Dark&Good
02-23-2009, 7:43 PM
Excellent idea/initiative

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 8:27 PM
I was told that the data file for the schools is a bit messed up, there are missing gps coordinates, there are poorly formed lines, its just screwy, so it may not go up tonight but its being worked on as I write this (although I dont know for how much longer, it is getting late already).

So expect it soon, there is an additional 15,000 schools or so in that list, some are closed so they wont be added, but it will be 7-8 times more schools than is there now.

Librarian
02-23-2009, 9:16 PM
11,146 with lat/long data.

Since this is 'for entertainment', might as well use them all; some doofus DA is likely not to know or care about closed.

Yes, there are data problems.

Some lat/long pairs plot into the ocean or SF Bay. (Schools of fish?)

There are not enough dots on Concord the way I created them; since the .KML turns out to be exactly 10 meg, I wonder if I hit a limitation on the tool. But I threw out any lines without the lat/long, so maybe the Concord schools are in the couple hundred I left out.

But ...

SF, again

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj284/Librarian_bucket/SFschools.jpg

Los Angeles

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj284/Librarian_bucket/LASchools.jpg

I prefer the Maps version to the Earth version; much easier to share, and the actual satellite view is distracting, I think.

aemergin
02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Maybe try to use the GClientGeocoder.getLatLng() object in the gmaps API to convert the actual address string into a GLatLng .. then again you are pushing the geocode limit of 15k per day on a single view of the map.

Might be worth writing some code to run once a day - check the original (screwed up) data against a file you maintain - if there are any changes update your file. You can use the google maps API geocoding service straight through HTTP .. probably the easiest way to pull the lat/lng and dump it into your own file.

I'm not a real programmer, I just play one on the internet.

Aemergin / Erik

anony mouse
02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
He is converting based on address to get as many as possible. He also is doing open & merged only, not pending or closed. There should be about 15000 schools when its done, but the web server appears to be dead so this may have to wait until tomorrow.

aemergin
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
He is converting based on address to get as many as possible. He also is doing open & merged only, not pending or closed. There should be about 15000 schools when its done, but the web server appears to be dead so this may have to wait until tomorrow.

Awesome - I can't wait to start using it. One thing I was thinking about was maybe using a different color circle for public, private and charter .. some of those smaller schools can be hard to spot while driving, but if you see it on this map as a different color you might remember while driving through that area.

I know it won't be entirely accurate but at least there will be something that people can use to understand visually just how many schools are out there. Being able to plot a course to work or the grocery store while avoiding school zones might make people a little more comfortable with the idea of open carry if they aren't worried about locking/unlocking their firearm along the way.

Aemergin / Erik

anony mouse
02-24-2009, 1:10 AM
Awesome - I can't wait to start using it. One thing I was thinking about was maybe using a different color circle for public, private and charter

Someone else asked for this earlier, and while its entirely possible I dont think its high on his list of things to do right now. Its really easy to run out of colors given the various types of schools that are out there that qualify under the GFSZ legislation, and that can make some blend in a bit with the map, especially when it gets printed out. Red was chosen originally because it has a high contrast with most objects on the map, where yellow, green and orange can blend in with things like parks (green), roads (yellow/orange), and other features.

Because the State gets to decide what is and what is not a "school" for the purposes of the statute, anything CA Dept of Education lists should be counted.

The list of school types are (at least):
* Private
* Special Education School
* County Community School
* Youth Authority Facility
* Opportunity School
* Juvenile Court School
* Other County-Wide Programs
* Elementary School
* Single Elementary School in District
* Intermediate/Middle School
* Alternative schools of choice
* Junior High School
* K-12 School
* High School
* Single High School in District
* Continuation High School
* Community Day School
* State Special School
* Adult Education Center. (K-12 classes, usually for dropouts)

As a result you end up with a palette of colors that will either be harder to distinguish from the other schools or it will blend with road features.

aemergin
02-24-2009, 1:28 AM
As a result you end up with a palette of colors that will either be harder to distinguish from the other schools or it will blend with road features.

Maybe just two colors then? Public and "other" .. just so people take notice of something that might not be an obvious school.

Aemergin / Erik

anony mouse
02-24-2009, 2:08 AM
* Adult Education Center. (K-12 classes, usually for dropouts)

Actually this is a guess that its k-12 classes for dropouts, if anyone can prove that its not then they will be excluded from the list.

18 USC 921(a)(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

secondary means high school, not university afaik.

B.D.Dubloon
02-24-2009, 3:07 AM
Well for ****'s sake, you can't hardly carry anywhere in this state. It is messed up to think about, but this map makes me feel uncomfortably like a sex offender trying to find a place to live, except I just want to exercise my rights.

BDD

anony mouse
02-24-2009, 3:18 AM
Well for ****'s sake, you can't hardly carry anywhere in this state. It is messed up to think about, but this map makes me feel uncomfortably like a sex offender trying to find a place to live, except I just want to exercise my rights.

BDD

I think that was the idea with the legislation, it has nothing to do with protecting kids, the 1000 foot radius was more to make sure that you couldnt leave your house with a firearm, and basically make things confusing and problematic to the point that some people will just not have them because its too much of a hassle. At least that is my opinion on the matter, the whole notion that criminals, who by definition violate laws, are going to follow laws and thus gun control will work is insane. This is why in Feburary 2000 when Clinton had a study commissioned that showed that gun control == more crime (opposite of what he wanted) he tried to squelch that study, but it did cause the DNC to drop anti-gun as a requirement to be nominated just a couple months after the study came out, now its an individual choice in that party.

anony mouse
02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
The updates are going in now for the remainder of the schools, or at least what appears to be the remainders. The count is over 5000 now, so only 10k more to process and get added which should be done just after lunch time today.

Be warned that most browsers do not seem to like this much data, google's chrome handles it the best with a minimal slowdown when zooming and panning, firefox and IE both seem to lag a bit but they do work, zooming and panning is a bit painful though as more schools get added, so use the search bar in the lower left of the map to get where you want to go faster :)

obeygiant
06-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Thank you for bringing the site back online.

gravedigger
06-09-2009, 2:27 AM
Face it, the libs are going to plunk a "School" down every 500 FEET across the entire state as a back door means of banning the practical use and transport of guns. They'll call every home with a childcare license a "School" and it all boils down to the fact that the 1,000 foot rule has to be DEFEATED.

Liberty1
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Be sure to pass your final (or as final as reasonable to take a hint from the language of 626.9) to the CGF board and the "right people" for possible future use.

putput
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
As I suspected, I can leave the house for about a block and then, no matter which way I go, I have to lock everything up. Sucks! Thanks for the info.

Amacias805
06-25-2009, 8:50 PM
in my area its missing a few public schools

bigtoe416
06-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Wrote a script tonight to parse that public school data and do some calculations and spit out points for polygons which can be used to approximate school zones. You guys can find the script, initial public school data, and output in JSON format at:

http://github.com/khall/Map-School-Zones/tree/master

If this is useful to anybody I can definitely make modifications to do whatever might be cool.

Librarian
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Wrote a script tonight to parse that public school data and do some calculations and spit out points for polygons which can be used to approximate school zones. You guys can find the script, initial public school data, and output in JSON format at:

http://github.com/khall/Map-School-Zones/tree/master

If this is useful to anybody I can definitely make modifications to do whatever might be cool.

While this is an interesting technical challenge, I think the various attempts so far are sufficient.

The reason is all we need, as a 'consumer', is to have a good idea of the extent of the problem we face. For that purpose, circles and the incomplete list we're using is satisfactory.

Both the Federal and State laws have in their text the idea of 'knowing' one is in a school zone. If either government body is actually interested in enforcing this idiocy, it should be up to them to provide the detailed maps and the on-the-ground indications of school zones. Failing that, we ought to be able (with rueful acknowledgment of Theseus's situation) to defend ourselves on the 'How was I supposed to know?' line.

To actually accomplish a map, one would need the lat/long pairs for every corner on every property. The available data is the approximate lat/long of the street address of the school. In my neighborhood, the western boundary of one property is on a street, and the eastern boundary is the next street over - about 1200 feet away. A circle centered on that street address has its eastern half entirely within the school property.

With the available data, we just can't provide a good map, and it isn't our responsibility to do so.

stuckinhippytown
06-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Cool map. For the public schools, you might have to go district to district.

Do you have plans for including universities/colleges? Maybe as a different color (seeing as a different law prohibits protection on university property)?

HEy you can carry on campuses you just have to have permission from the dean or president im currently working on that with 6 other ccw ers

paul0660
06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Federal law prohibits transporting all guns in school zones unless they are unloaded and locked; our state law "does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the
person, in accordance with state law." So according to the state law, you can't UOC in a car as you usually would be able to, but you can have an unloaded unlocked longgun in the car as you drive by the school. If stopped with said longgun, would the LEO find a violation of the federal law even though the state law is not being violated?

MasterYong
06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Face it, the libs are going to plunk a "School" down every 500 FEET across the entire state as a back door means of banning the practical use and transport of guns. They'll call every home with a childcare license a "School" and it all boils down to the fact that the 1,000 foot rule has to be DEFEATED.

They can do that all they want. That's why I live in a "School-Free Gun Zone". Not as good as a "Free Guns School Zone" but ALMOST. :43:

boxbro
06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow, that map is scary.
It seems almost impossible to UOC without violating the law.

MasterYong
06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
This map has got to be EXTREMELY inaccurate. If you look at Eureka, CA- it shows there being like FIFTY public schools. There aren't. Plain and simple. I've lived here my whole life, and they just aren't there. I can see the one that's near me, but the map shows two others being near me that are not public schools. One of the two near me (near me as in within 2 blocks!) is a private catholic school, NOT a public school, and the other doesn't exist.

Oh well.

boxbro
06-26-2009, 12:52 PM
This map has got to be EXTREMELY inaccurate. If you look at Eureka, CA- it shows there being like FIFTY public schools. There aren't. Plain and simple. I've lived here my whole life, and they just aren't there. I can see the one that's near me, but the map shows two others being near me that are not public schools. One of the two near me (near me as in within 2 blocks!) is a private catholic school, NOT a public school, and the other doesn't exist.

Oh well.

IIRC, the law includes private schools.

Librarian
06-26-2009, 1:03 PM
You recall correctly - Federal:(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private
school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a
public, parochial or private school.
CA: (e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall
apply:
(1) "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a
public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten
or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000
feet from the grounds of the public or private school.

MasterYong
06-26-2009, 1:07 PM
IIRC, the law includes private schools.

dammit dammit dammit!!!

I coulda sworn it was public schools only. Well heck there could be a "private school" anywhere then couldn't there? What if it's so private there is no signage? How are you supposed to obey the laws?

I lock my handguns when leaving the house anyways, but the way the schools (if the map is correct) land around my house I literally am "boxed in". I CAN'T leave my home without driving through a school zone!

There goes my current CCW app. Fudge.:(

bodger
06-26-2009, 1:11 PM
Obviously, as posted earlier, this law is primarily designed to further erode the Constitutional rights of the people.
It's just depressing to see these maps and realize how easily we can catch a felony gun charge in a heartbeat.

N6ATF
06-26-2009, 1:15 PM
Wow, that map is scary.
It seems almost impossible to UOC without violating the law.

Or be found guilty without even violating the law as written (http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2690480&postcount=244).

Librarian
06-26-2009, 1:23 PM
There goes my current CCW app. Fudge.:(

? Why? At least according to the law (we'll ignore the issuer's "iron whim") CCW is a CA exception to the GFSZ. No particular reason for issuer to say 'hmmm, lives in one o'them thar school zones, no CCW fer him'.

badreligion
06-26-2009, 2:11 PM
You may have to add community colleges and adult schools to the map. Most of them offer GED and High School Diploma Classes, making them a K-12 grade school per the CA definition of a school. If I am wrong feel free to bash me.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
06-26-2009, 5:26 PM
Can this be edited? I can imagine that many CGNers would be willing to fine-tune the map in their area to be as accurate as possible.

Truly amazing: when a city literally puts schools 2050 feet apart. It's not possible for me to get to work without getting within 1000 feet of a school. I was plotting it out, and although it was a really awkward path, it was coming along. Then all of a sudden, right at the end, like a cruel video game, suddenly all roads to work were blocked by school zones. Let's see... the most promising path chugs along and then where I end up having to stop is.......

hm........

the DMV!

:rofl:

Vectrexer
08-16-2009, 7:21 PM
In response to discussions about this map kinda threadjacking another thread, I am starting it here to keep that one cleaner.

I am friends with the person that is doing the map, I will be passing along any comments or suggestions about it to him.

http://www.0xdecafbad.com/gfsz has Google Map integration and is trying to get all the schools that qualify in the state of California plotted on the map.

Currently it only has private schools due to a lack of a suitable source for charter and public schools. He has contacted the Dept of Education for the state to try to get an address listing of all the missing schools.

This map is a work in progress, its also the first one he has done so expect bugs to be present.

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be passed on to the author of the page.

Nice map. But seeing how I literally live across the street from a school I already depend the transit provision when transporting to/from the range.

Besides which if I ever thought some nut job was heading to a school with evil intent I would not hesitate to do all that was needed to eliminate any danger from daughter's vicinity. Being in a school zone would be the least thing on my mind at that particular moment.

KylaGWolf
08-21-2009, 11:17 PM
The map is very incomplete. I found several areas in the part of town I live in alone missing schools. Oh and a few in the mission valley area of San Diego are off too. This is why I say never just rely on just maps.

Librarian
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
The map is very incomplete. I found several areas in the part of town I live in alone missing schools. Oh and a few in the mission valley area of San Diego are off too. This is why I say never just rely on just maps.

Yes - start with incomplete data, that will happen; and of course, the shapes do not account for the actual outlines of the properties.

If the local districts are serious about enforcing this, they need to hire surveyors and put up signs around every qualified school. Failing that, the law is harassment.