PDA

View Full Version : Can you transport a firearm via public transportation?

tb0n3
02-23-2009, 8:03 AM
If you buy a firearm, say a rifle or a handgun, at a gun shop and place it in a locked gun carrying case with no ammo can you take that with you on a city bus or in a taxi?

prod39
02-23-2009, 8:10 AM
Why couldn't you ?
I would expect quite a few questions, especially from " transit police" though.
My 2 cents, (not an xpurt)

dfletcher
02-23-2009, 8:20 AM
You would think a city that promotes public transportation to the extent San Francisco does that they would be more than happy to see gun owners using the system and not clogging up the freeway, right? Still, I'd like to be around when someone enters the Emarcadero BART station with their drag bag on the way to the Davis St range - what do you think the public and BART PD response would be?

nick
02-23-2009, 8:22 AM
The public probably won't notice. The BART PD, on the other hand, they'll probably kill you.

sorensen440
02-23-2009, 8:23 AM
I would be discreet about it.

berto
02-23-2009, 8:25 AM
I have before on SamTrans, BART, and AC. I went from store/range to home. Pistol was inside a locked hard case which was inside a locked backpack. Nobody was the wiser. It's harder to be discreet with a rifle but a guitar case or even a rifle case inside a large box or bag should be fine. FedEx makes long plastic bags for shipping skis that should be able to cover a rifle case. I'll send you one if you want.

IllTemperedCur
02-23-2009, 8:35 AM
This is California, you probably already know the answer to that question.

When I was stationed in Alaska in the 80s, I went to a gun show in Anchorage via city bus (living in the barracks at the time, saving for a car). No purchases, just doing the looky-loo thing. This doofus from my unit bought a flintlock rifle (a very nice Hawken rifle) and tried to walk onto the city bus without a case. He was just walking down the street to the bus stop with the rifle over his shoulder. The driver scolded him for not getting a case at the same time (mainly for abusing a nice rifle in the freezing rain), put the rifle behind the driver's seat for safety and let him on the bus.

I love Alaska.

pacifico
02-23-2009, 8:45 AM
I've transported a number of my handguns home from the gun shop via public transit (SF Muni.) Never had an issue, but I did have them locked in cases with no ammunition, magazines out and in a separate container, all inside of a large backpack. I'm always much more aware of my surroundings when I take a gun home like this.

For rifles I always have a friend pick me up. I don't own a car.

DedEye
02-23-2009, 9:29 AM
I would be discreet about it.

+Everything.

Use a backpack for handguns or a guitar case for long guns.

Flintlock Tom
02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
The BART PD, on the other hand, they'll probably kill you.

Oh, puh-leeze, what evidence do you...oh! Never mind.

Jason762
02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
This is California, you probably already know the answer to that question.

When I was stationed in Alaska in the 80s, I went to a gun show in Anchorage via city bus (living in the barracks at the time, saving for a car). No purchases, just doing the looky-loo thing. This doofus from my unit bought a flintlock rifle (a very nice Hawken rifle) and tried to walk onto the city bus without a case. He was just walking down the street to the bus stop with the rifle over his shoulder. The driver scolded him for not getting a case at the same time (mainly for abusing a nice rifle in the freezing rain), put the rifle behind the driver's seat for safety and let him on the bus.

I love Alaska.

Me too, where else would you find a gunshow without beef jerkey and at a high school! :thumbsup:

Missing it already.

CSACANNONEER
02-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Whatever happened to the 15 year old who was showing off his MAC type gun on the bus? train?

BTW, the whole no ammunition or ammunition locked in a separate container thing can be done to CYA but, there is no law against transporting ammo in the same container as a firearm!

CSACANNONEER
02-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Me too, where else would you find a gunshow without beef jerkey and at a high school! :thumbsup:

Missing it already.

Beef is expensive in Alaska! Also, since most Alaskans jerk their own meat, there's not much of a market for pre-jerked meat there.

DDT
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
most Alaskans jerk their own meat,

Gotta have a hobby for those cold winter nights I guess. :D

AaronHorrocks
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
In the Late 1950's/Early 1960's my uncle's aunt had purchased two dummy M1903 rifles, and was denied entrance on busses in California.

It sure made it hard to get those gifts to those young boys!

tb0n3
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for offering you advise and thoughts. Today I'm planning on taking the OCTA bus, I live in OC, to a gun store and might buy me an assault rifle before the government makes that illegal. It's already bad enough the CA red tape but I'm thinking about getting an AK-47. I use to own one before moving to CA, it was a bulgarian SLR-95 and I'm guessing it wouldn't have been allowed in CA so I hate that I sold it but I probably didn't have a choice. I don't have a guitar case so I'm gonna have to see what they have for sell for gun cases and get one of those and I'll take some small paddle locks with me incase it doesn't have locking latches. If the bus driver asks me what's in it I'm not sure what to say.

fairfaxjim
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
The public probably won't notice. The BART PD, on the other hand, they'll probably kill you.

Are you simply jesting, or are you late for a protest march (followed by a riot) in Oaktown? :)

Jason762
02-23-2009, 1:24 PM
Beef is expensive in Alaska! Also, since most Alaskans jerk their own meat, there's not much of a market for pre-jerked meat there.

:rofl: That came out so wrong ha ha!

CSACANNONEER
02-23-2009, 1:25 PM
:rofl: That came out so wrong ha ha!

I'm sorry. I call 'em like I see 'em. I really don't want or need to know if or how it came out.