PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question..

spekios
02-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Hello everyone, i am in the process of moving to the San Diego area from Ohio and im concerned with some of my guns. Im curious if i am allowed to have my WASR-10 (AK47 clone) in the state of California. On that note can i have my MPA-10 (.45 uzi clone) as well? Is there anything i must do to keep them? Im new to gun collecting so i apologize now for any lack of info you might need to assist me. Thanks in advance.

damon1272
02-23-2009, 2:02 AM
Some of the best info is listed at the front of the site as you enter. Here are the links below. Spend some time looking around and educating yourself as the configuration of your rifles is very important. That said, welcome to San Diego we have some good shooting spots out here.
http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm
http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf

FS00008
02-23-2009, 7:25 AM
Short answer, with teh WASR-10 IIRC all it needs is an monster man grip and 10 round or less magazines or a Raddlock. No idea about the MPA-10

eflatminor
02-23-2009, 7:52 AM
North or South? I grew up near Akron.

Welcome to the People's Republic. It's really going to suck for you living here as a gun owner, but take heart that you're on the front line of the right to keep and bear arms. If we fail, the country fails. Do your best to remain within all these inane laws but at the same time, I hope you are a tireless advocate for undoing bad laws and expanding what should have been a basic right all along.

rbgaynor
02-23-2009, 8:13 AM
Welcome to San Diego! As damon1272 said we've got some decent shooting spots down here. We've also got a pretty active competitive shooting scene as well. Calguns is a "must-have" for any firearms owner in California and there are lots of other good resources depending on where you interests lie.

DDT
02-23-2009, 8:14 AM
Here is the CPC regarding assault weapons http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php
Section 12276.1 of the California Penal Code is what you need to know regarding firearms features that will cause your guns to be classified as assault weapons in the great state of CA.

Do a search in the rifleman's area of this forum for lots of info on how people go about meeting these requirements.

The most common current method of meeting the requirements is using a magazine release mechanism that either requires a tool to do a mag drop or more permanently attaches the magazine so that you top load. There are also a number of options (e.g. monster man grips) to use your weapon without a pistol grip.

Also, there is a ban on importation of all magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. This includes handguns. You may need to trade some of your standard or high capacity magazines for neutered California legal versions before you enter the state. (unless you are law enforcement in which case the magazine law doesn't affect you.)

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 8:54 AM
Or you can just disassemble your magazines that hold over 10 rounds or keep them out of state with a friend or relative. I wouldn't get rid of them these days.

Glock22Fan
02-23-2009, 8:57 AM
Be ready for a culture shock. If nothing else, get the latest version of "Own a gun and stay out of jail (in California)" by John Machtinger and read it several times over. You can get it through Amazon.

Welcome to the pleasure dome!

DDT
02-23-2009, 9:02 AM
Be ready for a culture shock. If nothing else, get the latest version of "Own a gun and stay out of jail (in California)" by John Machtinger and read it several times over. You can get it through Amazon.

Excellent recommendation.

spekios
02-23-2009, 2:23 PM

Welcome to the People's Republic. It's really going to suck for you living here as a gun owner, but take heart that you're on the front line of the right to keep and bear arms. If we fail, the country fails. Do your best to remain within all these inane laws but at the same time, I hope you are a tireless advocate for undoing bad laws and expanding what should have been a basic right all along.

Im from the Dayton area so not too far off. But thanks to everybody for their fast responses to my questions. Sounds like Cali is a warzone on gunrights. In my opinion the politicians thinking in making and banning all these guns can only make crime go up because the only people who follow the laws are...you guessed it law abiding citizens.

Decoligny
02-23-2009, 4:19 PM

Welcome to the People's Republic. It's really going to suck for you living here as a gun owner, but take heart that you're on the front line of the right to keep and bear arms. If we fail, the country fails. Do your best to remain within all these inSane laws but at the same time, I hope you are a tireless advocate for undoing bad laws and expanding what should have been a basic right all along.

Fixed that for you.

Nodda Duma
02-23-2009, 6:41 PM
WARNING!! you are entering a Kommunist State, if you have lived here before you are aware. Kommiefornia, is not like rural Alaska where a LEO may just look the other way on a very minor violation. In Kommiefornia if you forget to bring back a library book they will destroy your credit. In Kommiefornia if you make a minor violation while hunting you are likely to have your car and guns confiscated, all this while if you are an illegal immigrant you are immune to investigation or prosecution for most crimes. An example of the Kommie nature of San Diego County- the County building department has recently set up satellite offices for spying on peoples property to find building code violations, these offices provide support for neighbors spying on neighbors.
good luck

Referring to California as a communist state tells me you've given up. If you don't like what this state has become, then work to change it instead of telling everyone you've given up. Or better yet open up a dealer's shop in another state so you don't have to ship legal firearms here. I trust the people who run California less than I trust my in-laws, but we are still living in the United States of America. To refer to either as a communist country is a slap in the face to the people who defend it or still believe in the principles of the republic.

Sorry if I'm getting bent out of shape over something so minor, but I love my country and that means ALL of it. My opinion aside, referring to this state as a communist country reflects poorly on our efforts to reverse the gun rights issue here.

-Jason

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 6:44 PM
^ It would perhaps then be more fair to say that it's run by communists. That's accurate.