PDA

View Full Version : Mags marked for Law Enforcement only

smf37
02-22-2009, 9:45 PM
I tried looking for it but I am not sure of the answer. A buddy of mine asked if I knew if he could use Magazines that are marked for LEO and Military only? He has a couple and some one at a range the other day told him he could not have/use them as a civilian.

Is this true?
If he has had them before the ban, does it matter?

Also, since I am on the subject... What about other equipment like the EOTechs that are marked LEO?

:confused:

CSDGuy
02-22-2009, 9:54 PM
If he legally owned the magazines before the California "large capacity" ban came into effect, or if he otherwise legally acquired them here in California after the ban, there should not be any issues with owning the magazines.

smf37
02-22-2009, 9:58 PM
If he legally owned the magazines before the California "large capacity" ban came into effect, or if he otherwise legally acquired them here in California after the ban, there should not be any issues with owning the magazines.

Yes, he had them before the ban, and hasn't ever had a problem till now. So there is no other issue with them being marked LEO?

Blue
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, he had them before the ban, and hasn't ever had a problem till now. So there is no other issue with them being marked LEO?

Full cap mags made AFTER 1994 normally have those markings. The fed AWB ended in 2004, and those magazines hit the civi market. The only problem is that CA's AW ban started in 2000. So unless he was an LEO back then how'd he get them before/after the ban?

Philthy
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Full cap mags made AFTER 1994 normally have those markings. The fed AWB ended in 2004, and those magazines hit the civi market. The only problem is that CA's AW ban started in 2000. So unless he was an LEO back then how'd he get them before/after the ban?

Hypothetically, he could have used a repair kit containing parts stamped with "LEO only" to repair a legally possessed magazine.

smf37
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Good question, I didn't ask? I stay away from anything high cap so I know very little about the subject. I was just trying to help him get it figured out.

Blue
02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Hypothetically, he could have used a repair kit containing parts stamped with "LEO only" to repair a legally possessed magazine.

Yep :thumbsup:

arcticsilver997
02-23-2009, 9:23 AM
Also, since I am on the subject... What about other equipment like the EOTechs that are marked LEO?

Any info on the EOTech LEO label? Should I block it out?

Guns R Tools
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
If his name is Leo then he is golden. :D

People buy stuff marketed for government all the time. No worries on EOTech.

TZL
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
as others have said....markings don't mean anything.....it all depends on the legality on which it is owned and the application on which it was used

Josh3239
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Like what Blue said, when the Federal AWB was enacted it banned the manufacture of high capacity magazines. Companies that continued to manufacture high caps, did so for government or LE agencys and some of them stamped their magazines to show. The Federal AWB is dead, stamped LE bodies don't mean anything anymore.

natedogg1777
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Exactly. I'm sure there are a lot of used magazines on the market that were made in '94-'04, but are now being used as parts to rebuild magazines. The markings themselves mean absolutely nothing as long as they were acquired legally.

DedEye
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Any info on the EOTech LEO label? Should I block it out?

No, it means nothing.

CSACANNONEER
02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
If his name is Leo then he is golden. :D

People buy stuff marketed for government all the time. No worries on EOTech.

BWO may have a different take on "US Property" markings.

leelaw
02-23-2009, 3:11 PM
BWO may have a different take on "US Property" markings.

There's a bit of a difference between "Law enforcement/military use" and "United States Property" markings.

One implies ownership, the other implies that the item is/was restricted somehow in the past or during the present.

Timberland
02-23-2009, 8:58 PM
Anyone who tells you somthing is illegal at the range generally is a moron. Seriously, people who tell other people what to do are A****, advice is one thing, but spreading ignorance is annoying

AlexBreya
02-23-2009, 9:03 PM
if eotechs were illegal, i would throw a fit, you can get a sharpie and write "for law enforcement only" on anything

Max-the-Silent
02-24-2009, 6:30 AM
I an't speak for any department but my own, but absent some type of criminal activity on the part of the individual, LEO markings on a magazine aren't an issue.

Tons of LEO mags have been dumped as used on the civilian market post 2004, and it's reasonable to believe that some of those magazines have been used for spare parts.

smf37
02-24-2009, 1:07 PM
Thanks guys. I will let him know

drunktank
02-24-2009, 3:40 PM
What gun is your friend shooting smf37?

smf37
02-24-2009, 8:22 PM
What gun is your friend shooting smf37?

Glock 22