PDA

View Full Version : If you could only get one handgun...

TJ01
02-22-2009, 7:40 PM
Hi guys, total noob here.

This is my first post. A friend recently introduced me to the wonderful world of firearms, and I've been doing a lot of research the past few months, and I'm getting ready to buy my first gun. Thing is, it will probably be my last so I want to make this purchase count. (anti-gun family, all that good stuff) So far I've shot 9mms and a Glock .45 semi-auto.

Anyway, I was originally deciding between a CZ SP-01 or a Browning Hi-Power. (I haven't shot either.) However, recently, I was intrigued by the Smith & Wesson 627 with the 5" barrel. Aesthetically, I prefer revolvers, and I like the simplicity aspect, and the 8 shots on that model seems nice. I also like that it is more versatile in that you can shoot 2 types of rounds with it. However, I haven't shot a revolver, and I haven't shot a .357 or a .38 special. I have heard that a .357 is probably a better round for HD than the 9mm--assuming you hit your target. Needless to say, I'm conflicted.

I plan on using the gun for range/recreation and home defense, should it ever come to that. I guess the easy answer would be for me to rent a .357 revolver at a range, shoot it, and see if I like it. But until I can find a friend to accompany me to the range, I'll bide my time posting online. ;)

I was wondering what people's thoughts on these are, as well as what the .357 load is like in terms of felt recoil. I've read it is kind of a sharp feeling, so I'm wondering if that will be uncomfortable for range use, or if maybe the heft of the gun will dampen it somewhat. (keep in mind I'm a new shooter :) )

Also, if anyone has recommendations as to a good gun store in LA that would be awesome. I was thinking about going to the Turners in Pasadena. I also read good things about Bain and Davis in San Gabriel in another thread. I just wanted to get some info before I go into a shop and make a fool of myself with my lack of knowledge :o

Thanks,
TJ01

hamster
02-22-2009, 7:53 PM
I'd get a 9mm. Ammo is cheap compared to revolver ammo. In terms of HD, 357mag will make you deaf if you fire that indoors not to mention the muzzle blast making you blind if you fire in low light. 9mm is more controllable for quicker follow up shots, you have more capacity, and with cheaper ammo you'd hopefully be more proficient with your weapon with more practice. As for differences in recoil, if my sister at 100 pounds can handle a 357mag, and enjoy shooting it, then just about anyone can.

gumby
02-22-2009, 8:17 PM
What Hamster said!

Kingofthehill
02-22-2009, 8:18 PM
Don't bother with Turners Pasadena... normally i would say SURE... but their EMPTY right now... nothing in the cases... i was at Bain and Davis's about a week ago... decent selection in stock and had a good selection of used guns too..

if you find yourself in the area try Oak Tree gun club in Newhall or Uncle Pauls in Ventura... good selection still at both.

If i had to choose 1 firearm it would be something in a .40 caliber... cheaper than .45's and not AS common and most places i go to during this time of "Hoarding", still have .40 on the shelf's.... So i would say a CZ 75b in .40 cal or maybe a Sig Pro in .40 cal... both fantastic guns and crazy accurate.

JOe

AlexBreya
02-22-2009, 8:20 PM
why not a .45 1911? and a .22lr conversion kit? amazing^2

Black Majik
02-22-2009, 8:22 PM
The only # I would need is: (480) 804-1911

TheBundo
02-22-2009, 8:33 PM
I found the revolver ammo easier to find locally during the rush. Frankly, I think a revolver is better as a first gun. In my case, I've stuck with them all my life

tortoisethunder
02-22-2009, 8:43 PM
First of all if you go into a gun store and they make you feel stupid or intimidate you because you are new...walk out and take your business somewhere else. I am tired of walking into gun stores where the employees talk down to POTENTIAL LIFETIME CUSTOMERS just because they are new! We have all been in your state. Take your business where you feel comfortable. I really like Fort Courage in Simi Valley.

A revolver I would recommend: Smith and Wesson 686 plus. Reason...7 rounds, shoots 38 special or 357 magnum. The recoil with this gun will be ok even loaded with 357. Ammo is fairly reasonable and a proven target and home defense round.

A pistol or handgun I would recommend: Any one that feels good in the hand, points with your arm, and your fingers can reach the magazine release, safety, and trigger finger RESTS on the trigger guard.

Just remember as a newbie in the gun store:
1. Make sure the gun is unloaded (they will check before they give it too you)
2. Only point the gun in a safe direction
3. Never put your finger on the trigger, unless you ask the salesperson if it is ok to dry fire to check the trigger feel.
4. Be confident and ask questions if you are not sure...most sales persons will be happy to show you functions and feature.

Good Luck and welcome. This sport can be quit addicting, and most likely you will end up with just more than ONE HANDGUN!

glockman19
02-22-2009, 8:55 PM
The only # I would need is: (480) 804-1911

That is some expensive work on top of the gun. Beautiful but expensive. Have you shot a gun smithed by Ted Yost? is it worth the investment? What base model would you have them upgrade? I have an extra Kimber :D how much better do you think he can get my Custom II to shoot? It's already more accurate than I am and makes one ragged hole at 12 yards.

TJ,
IMHO If you like revolvers look into a S&W 686 4" or Ruger GP100 or SP101 revolvers.

BTW, It won't be your last gun :D

Black Majik
02-22-2009, 9:01 PM
That is some expensive work on top of the gun. Beautiful but expensive. Have you shot a gun smithed by Ted Yost? is it worth the investment? What base model would you have them upgrade? I have an extra Kimber :D how much better do you think he can get my Custom II to shoot? It's already more accurate than I am and makes one ragged hole at 12 yards.

TJ,
IMHO If you like revolvers look into a S&W 686 4" or Ruger GP100 or SP101 revolvers.

BTW, It won't be your last gun :D

Unforunately I never have, but if I only get one gun, sure, why not? :)

Maybe I hang out at LTW too much, but I secretly drool at all those guns there... Of course, it'll have to be from a S70 base gun or WWI Repro... (we're assuming we can NeRF guns too right? :D)

comandante costello
02-22-2009, 9:04 PM
CZ SP-01 is a great choice for your "only gun". In quotes, because trust me, it will not be :). Even better choice for a first gun.

If I could only have one gun, an SP-01 would be high on the list, unless I wanted to carry it concealed as well. Since you're in LA though that shouldn't be a concern. It is a perfect range gun though, and great for home defense as well. It's big and heavy, so it will soak up recoil and is also very accurate, so it's a great first gun in that it will be pretty easy to shoot and really inspire confidence.

Definitely stick with 9mm unless you have lots of money to spend on ammo, then I'd look for a .45. Don't worry about lack of power with 9mm though, it's more than adequate.

TJ01
02-22-2009, 9:05 PM
Thanks for the quick replies so far!

Is there a significant difference between the S&W 686 vs the 627?

I was considering the SIG P226 or P229, but I read a few places, that bang for buck, they may not be necessarily worth the higher price compared to the CZ 75 SP-01. I've shot the P229, it was nice, haven't shot the others.

Synergy
02-22-2009, 9:16 PM
Go to a range, some require two people to rent and try out as many handguns as possible. Insight allows you to rent a gun and swap it out as many times as you want. Find what fits, what recoil is good for you.

My choice is a 1911, its solid, served our military for close to 100 years, is simple to strip, my 12 year old daughter can do it with her eyes closed. Has the undeniable power of the .45 ACP. Ammo is a little more expensive, but if you dont plan on shooting tons, its worth it for home defense.

http://www.insightrangeinc.com/

JTROKS
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Ruger GP100 w/ 6" barrel in stainless. Will last forever.

Saigon1965
02-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I thought it would last forever - Until UPS "lost" it -

Ruger GP100 w/ 6" barrel in stainless. Will last forever.

AndrewMendez
02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P, really nice gun with interchangeable hand grips. Where do you live? Me and a couple buddies go to Burro Canyon in Azusa about 2 times a month and would love to have you check out a couple different guns!

NotSoFast
02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
The nice thing about revolvers is they have less tendency to jam. If it misfires, pull the trigger again. My next purchase will be a .357 revolver, probably a 4" barrel. I haven't narrowed it beyond that yet though. lol

A324
02-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Browning Hi-Power Mark III

jmf_tracy
02-23-2009, 8:16 AM
CZ P-01

Mr. Beretta
02-23-2009, 6:46 PM
Beretta 92F/FS! :thumbsup: