PDA

View Full Version : self defense for wife at work (public school)?

!@#$
02-22-2009, 6:33 PM
well she can't pocket carry a BUG so that's out.

i need something she can carry at all times on campus. i'm thinking FOX labs or SABRE OC spray.

is this legal to carry on campus of a public school?

what is the legal size limit for OC spray in CA?

thanks for the help.

BigDogatPlay
02-22-2009, 6:36 PM
Most vendors will not sell anything larger than MKIII (2.5 oz) size to non LEO.

Many districts have policies in place of no weapons of any kind at any time on school property. You should start with a thorough review of the district's employee handbook which can and will supercede state law.

Decoligny
02-22-2009, 6:44 PM
If they have an absolutely no weapons policy, then consider having your wife take a self defense class that teaches how to use a cane. Then just say that her knee has been bothering her.

It is a very effective weapon that nobody pays any attention to.

Fantasma
02-22-2009, 6:51 PM
If they have an absolutely no weapons policy, then consider having your wife take a self defense class that teaches how to use a cane. Then just say that her knee has been bothering her.

It is a very effective weapon that nobody pays any attention to.

......With a knife that sticks out from the end with the push of a button :D

Decoligny
02-22-2009, 7:00 PM
......With a knife that sticks out from the end with the push of a button :D

And the accompanying felony charges. :(

Fantasma
02-22-2009, 7:09 PM
And the accompanying felony charges. :(

......Wife Safe & Alive.

!@#$
02-22-2009, 7:10 PM
......Wife Safe & Alive.

that's why i was pushing for the BUG...

RRangel
02-22-2009, 7:12 PM

Just in case you were not aware, it is illegal to sell spray in anything larger than 2.5 oz in California to other than law enforcement. It's the same kind of victim disarmament thinking as gun control.

CSDGuy
02-22-2009, 7:16 PM

Many districts have policies in place of no weapons of any kind at any time on school property. You should start with a thorough review of the district's employee handbook which can and will supercede state law.
I would definitely recommend searching the employee handbook for "no weapons" policies. If there are, her options are simple.

If she carries something that I can carry on a K-12 campus, and she gets caught, she can get disciplined and possibly fired.

The policies can NOT supercede state law (it's a supremacy thing) but they CAN be more restrictive to those that are subjected to it (students and employees of that school/school district) than to those that aren't (the rest of the public).

Seesm
02-22-2009, 7:16 PM
GLINCA!! (Gay laws in CA) I just made that up... Haha

pullnshoot25
02-22-2009, 7:18 PM
Titanium chopsticks- can't ban utensils and everyone has an Asian fetish...

A larger coin purse- you can call it the "***** slap" (my idea, for the record!). Also, very inconspicuous in a purse...

Sjambok- no bans against whips. Get the real rhino hide one for ultimate concealability, though it is probably more of a car/out-and-about weapon.

Cane/Staff- can't go wrong with those. Some are even sharpened for the purpose of self-defense, just hide it under a rubber tip.

Cold Steel Sharkie

Cold Steel Kubotan

That's all I am coming up with...

CSDGuy
02-22-2009, 7:20 PM
that's why i was pushing for the BUG...
If it weren't for the laws that basically disarm the public in school zones, the BUG wouldn't be a bad idea. If she got caught, she'd have a 626.9, a 12025, and a 12031 problem. A CCW would eliminate all those, but she could still get fired for violating policy.

MAILMAN187
02-22-2009, 7:20 PM
GLINCA!! (Gay laws in CA) I just made that up... Haha

I'm not supprised......

AngelDecoys
02-22-2009, 7:22 PM
Just to add. Things to have her think about.

1. If there is a 'red drill' or whatever they call it at her school, does she have an adequate 1st aid kit in the classroom?
2. Can her door be locked from the inside? Can she lock it and does she have something heavy she can use to barricade the door stopping entry?
3. Is there a phone/intercom in her classroom if she needs to send/receive a message?
4. Presumably in the case of a lock down, the kids would be away from the doors and windows. Are the window's covered (with student work) or are they open so anyone walking by can see in?
5. The following borders in the grey area, but if she goes to the range after school, then she has a reason to 'temporarily' store a firearm in the trunk of her car. Not in the classroom, but maybe close enough for accessibility if a need arises.

Shane916
02-22-2009, 7:23 PM
No need to worry. Those are drug and gun free zones.

truthseeker
02-22-2009, 8:13 PM
Just in case you were not aware, it is illegal to sell spray in anything larger than 2.5 oz in California to other than law enforcement. It's the same kind of victim disarmament thinking as gun control.

So buy 5 of them and you have 12.5 oz.

sv_1
02-22-2009, 8:48 PM
You can buy bear spray at your local REI. But of course this is not for use on humans;)

DDT
02-22-2009, 9:04 PM
maybe she could get lucky and "find something" that was planted or hidden in the office if needed in a real emergency,

WORST IDEA EVER.... You seriously recommended this for a classroom?

Dont Tread on Me
02-22-2009, 9:15 PM
Mike Janich just released a good DVD on improvised weapons:

http://www.staysafemedia.com/product.php?proid=76

Cato
02-22-2009, 9:59 PM

I saw some Bear pepper spray for sale at Turners, it must have been as large as a can of hair spray.

Cato
02-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I work in a public school. The key is to avoid dangerous situations or situations that can become dangerous. You don't really have any right to self defense there.

shooterfpga
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
the original suggestion for oc spray is probably the best bet. its something most women already have in their possession. but i wouldnt put it past the school board in firing someone for self defense.

Seesm
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm not supprised......

You may not use it out load ever, but you WILL think it...

So don't be "surprised" when this happens... :)