PDA

View Full Version : NRA -- Worse than telemarketers

valleyguy
02-22-2009, 3:23 PM
Is anyone else here getting called daily by the NRA about something or other? My friends, family, and work combined don't call me as much as they do.

I'm really starting to regret joining them this past year -- I value my privacy, peace and quiet at home, and don't appreciate all of their calls and solicitations. They have my membership fees, and that's all I plan to donate for the next two years -- it's a hell of a lot more than anything I gave to any other non-profit group in the past 10 years, so they should be happy.

If they want to correspond with me, do it through the e-mail alerts, I read those, and act on them. I really don't appreciate the daily phone calls that interrupt my life, and I'm pretty mad they aren't responsive and respectful of this.

Anyone else in this boat?

razorx
02-22-2009, 3:28 PM
You actually gave them your real phone number? Better update that asap to a number that is less "objectionable"...

hoffmang
02-22-2009, 3:35 PM
It's very easy to ask them to stop phone or physical mail. Just call them up.

That way you can stay on the email list and avoid the telemarketing and direct mail while saving them money and time by not bugging you.

-Gene

Shane916
02-22-2009, 3:54 PM
This should also reduce the phone calls:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

paintballergb
02-22-2009, 3:54 PM
Yeah I feel you. They don't call me a lot but send a bunch of mail. I am a 21 year old in college with a part time job and a huge list of things I want to buy. I can't donate anything right now.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-22-2009, 4:01 PM
i is a life member for te last 3 years and was a regular member for the previous 20yrs and have never had them call me......

valleyguy
02-22-2009, 4:15 PM
I don't mind the direct mailings, or getting on catalog mailing lists (I think of that as a service), but calling during my day multiple times and during dinner is just uncalled for. I've let them know already I don't want any calls, but haven't gotten a response yet (we also told one of the callers, but to no avail).

BroncoBob
02-22-2009, 4:36 PM
I get the direct mailings and email notices. Doesn't bother me. In regards to calls, if I don't reconize the number or who is calling they get the answering machine.

BigDogatPlay
02-22-2009, 4:42 PM
I've been a member for over 30 years... never once a phone call. I would like to reduce the marketing mail though, that seems to be growing in volume. Got yet another insurance offer last week, so I think I'll send them an e-mail and tell them to save their money and not market to me.

Rickfifty
02-22-2009, 4:46 PM
I've been a member for years. Never got a call. I don't mind the mail or email, since I open it when I want. I also like the catalogues.

eflatminor
02-22-2009, 4:50 PM
I'm an Endowment member. I've been part of the NRA for many years. NEVER got a phone call.

otteray
02-22-2009, 5:01 PM
Never gotten an NRA call.
Sure it's not someone riding on their coattails?
Unauthorized so-called police and fire dept. charities do it all the time.

Pugster
02-22-2009, 6:21 PM
Give NRA a call and tell them that you don't want their "promotional" material. I did it and they will understand. I haven't had any calls or unwanted mailings since I did it.

berto
02-22-2009, 7:49 PM
Never been called. Rarely get mail from them.

TonyM
02-22-2009, 8:35 PM
It's very easy to ask them to stop phone or physical mail. Just call them up.

That way you can stay on the email list and avoid the telemarketing and direct mail while saving them money and time by not bugging you.

-Gene

+1

A few years back they called me and I politely told the person that I was better reached via email as I rarely answer the phone if it's CallerID is a number I don't know. They removed me from the list and mailings. Now I get emails only. Even the ILA mailings that I often donate to are email only.

Peragro
02-22-2009, 8:42 PM
I've never received a call from the NRA. I'm a yearly member at this point (looking to upgrade to life one of these days). I do get various emails from them and they have saved me some money on rental cars and such.

Now I do get numerous phone calls from Kern Country Sherrif's association. At least once a month for their yearly fund raiser.

valleyguy
02-22-2009, 9:31 PM
All I know is that I keep on getting these daily calls with the caller ID of "NRA", and when we finally did answer the phone, they wanted to talk about gun issues/voting/calling your rep, etc. We had made it clear we didn't want to be called again, I even sent a complaint through the NRA site, and bing, there they are again today. I guess I must just be "lucky." ;)

packnrat
02-22-2009, 11:05 PM
all the marking trash in the mail, and all request for more and more cash,
that it one of the reasons I will not belong to the club any more.

it is more like you pay them to mass market you then any thing else.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-23-2009, 6:06 AM
all the marking trash in the mail, and all request for more and more cash,
that it one of the reasons I will not belong to the club any more.

it is more like you pay them to mass market you then any thing else.

I was unhappy about all of the mailings sent by the NRA too.

So I called the phone number on the back of my membership card and asked them to stop sending me the mailings. Now I don't get anything except the magazine every month.

I know this solution has already mentioned a few times in this thread and in every other "The NRA sends me too much mail" thread, but I figured I would post it again anyway

grammaton76
02-23-2009, 3:42 PM
I've never been called by the NRA, personally. Of course, this may also be because I don't maintain a land line.

7x57
02-23-2009, 4:25 PM
I've never been called by the NRA, personally. Of course, this may also be because I don't maintain a land line.

I bet they've never telegraphed you, sent you smoke signals, or messaged you by gravity waves or neutrino emissions either!

That you *know* of...

7x57

grammaton76
02-23-2009, 4:29 PM
The NRA sends me thoughtwaves constantly, if we believe the old "I Am The NRA" slogan about all NRA members... :)

tankerman
02-23-2009, 5:00 PM
I've been a member for years and never received any calls. Instead of beatching about it, do something about it. Start by using your brain.

If complaining about the NRA was your goal, you were successful. Good for you:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Quint
02-23-2009, 5:10 PM
If complaining about the NRA was your goal, you were successful. Good for you:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happily left the NRA after numerous calls each ending with "Stop spamming me, phoning me, and sending me things I don't want", went unheeded. I gave them 2 yrs.. fair amount of time I think.

After they gave me the whole," The 2nd Amend. would be overturned, and it'll be all YOUR fault!" guilt trip... I happily walked away.

Proudly not a member of the NRA anymore

FastFinger
02-23-2009, 5:15 PM
Upon receipt of my membership package I sent the following letter:

"Recently I joined the NRA for the first time. I’m proud to help the fight to protect our rights and freedoms.

But in order for me to continue my membership I need you to honor one of my rights, the right of privacy. I request that the NRA not share any of my personal information with any 3rd party, not a single one. Not term life insurance, not another political action committee, no one and no entity.

Furthermore I request that the only material the NRA is to send me is the publication “The Rifleman” and one, just a single one, membership renewal reminder towards the end of my current membership.

I also request no phone calls or emails.

If this request can not be honored, please take this as my cancellation notice once my current membership has run its course."

Haven't heard "peep" from them since.

tankerman
02-23-2009, 5:25 PM
Proudly not a member of the NRA anymore
I'm glad you're "proud" and the only "proud" person in this thread that claims to have not been able to get them to stop calling. You should be "proud" of yourself.

Quint
02-23-2009, 5:32 PM
I'm glad you're "proud" and the only "proud" person in this thread that claims to have not been able to get them to stop calling. You should be "proud" of yourself.

And quite unapologetic for it too. :thumbsup:

Mikey
02-23-2009, 5:48 PM
The NRA or the CRPA never call me.

If I wasn't so happy about not being tele-marketed, I'd be insulted..

Rudolf the Red
02-23-2009, 8:44 PM
I have gotten so much mail from the NRA since 1990 that I ended up a Benefactor Member.

I guess all that 14 cent postage over the years added up in the black against the freaking mint I have given them. :eek:

Now they want me to join some uber level of membership where they debit you a fixed amount monthly. Comes with some special trick uber beltbuckle every year.

Beltbuckle? :confused:

For that kind of coin NRA, I want the jacket. NOT flashy. Subdued, at least part leather, and black. I have proven my worthiness, now give me more for my money. More than a patch and a sticker.

(Hell, I would settle to just breathe the air in Heston's gun room.)

(BTW, If you haven't seen Charlton Heston's gun safe/room, google it.)

NotSoFast
02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm on the National Do Not Call registry. I don't get those calls.

valleyguy
02-24-2009, 9:52 AM
I'm on the National Do Not Call registry. I don't get those calls.

The National Do Not Call registry (which I'm sure most of us are on, including me) only applies to commercial solicitations from companies you do not have an existing business relationship with. It's doesn't apply to Nonprofits (I don't believe, could be wrong) or companies you do business with already (like the Phone company or the cable company).

However, the auto warranty scammers that fish for info lately (I know you've all gotten these calls lately) are in violation, but won't leave their company name when you try to figure out who they are.

valleyguy
02-24-2009, 9:54 AM
I've been a member for years and never received any calls. Instead of beatching about it, do something about it. Start by using your brain.

And you left a post full of bile and acid, good for you as well :thumbsup: - judging by the replies here, other people have my issue, and since it's a discussion board, I have a right to bring up the topic, no? Your comments are not constructive. The first fragment of a sentence was, the rest wasn't, and was bordering on a personal attack. It certainly wasn't called for, and is detracting from the civil discussion we are having.

tankerman
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
And you left a post full of bile and acid, good for you as well :thumbsup: - judging by the replies here, other people have my issue, and since it's a discussion board, I have a right to bring up the topic, no? Your comments are not constructive. The first fragment of a sentence was, the rest wasn't, and was bordering on a personal attack. It certainly wasn't called for, and is detracting from the civil discussion we are having.Sniffle, sniffle

geeknow
02-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Is anyone else here getting called daily by the NRA about something or other? My friends, family, and work combined don't call me as much as they do.

I'm really starting to regret joining them this past year -- I value my privacy, peace and quiet at home, and don't appreciate all of their calls and solicitations. They have my membership fees, and that's all I plan to donate for the next two years -- it's a hell of a lot more than anything I gave to any other non-profit group in the past 10 years, so they should be happy.

If they want to correspond with me, do it through the e-mail alerts, I read those, and act on them. I really don't appreciate the daily phone calls that interrupt my life, and I'm pretty mad they aren't responsive and respectful of this.

Anyone else in this boat?

Yep, me too. I value and appreciate their work. I send $ from time to time, with no return address. I did not renew my membership because of the deluge of donation requests for this, that, and the other. I hope they change this policy. I believe that there are much better ways to stay in touch with your base without making them feel like a hand is always on their wallet.

Glock22Fan
02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Either ask them to take you off their "promotions" list or get a "round file."

The NRA does too much good work for you all to leave just because you can't deal with the mail -- it is called cutting off your nose to spite your face. I get far more begging letters from other organizations, some of which I occasionally support and some of which I ignore.

geeknow
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Either ask them to take you off their "promotions" list or get a "round file."

The NRA does too much good work for you all to leave just because you can't deal with the mail -- it is called cutting off your nose to spite your face. I get far more begging letters from other organizations, some of which I occasionally support and some of which I ignore.

They do good work. That part has not been debated in this thread. What is being debated is whether they send too much stuff. Some think they do. Some think they dont. Some have suggested methods for paring down the mail and other promotional materials. Some have suggested that the cost to participate is more than they are willing to bear. All points are equally valid as the OP was merely asking what others thought.

To clarify my point. I CAN deal with the mail. I CHOOSE not to. Further, I have stated, that once this situation improves, the door to rejoin remains open.

DDT
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Also, if you have no intention of responding to a mailing by sending money you are also saving the NRA money to spend elsewhere by asking them to stop the mail solicitations.

valleyguy
02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I personally like the mailings -- I just hate the phone calls. It looks like so far they may have finally gotten my name on their "do not call" list, but we'll see.

As I mentioned earlier, I support them for what they do, but the phone calls, especially when they are persistent in the face of being asked not to call, are very counterproductive.

mikehaas
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
If you don't want to deal with solicitaions from our NRA, no problem, tell them you don't want to receive them and they will stop. They respect your privacy.

So why not give them some respect? WHY TRY AND CASTIGATE OUR NRA IN FRONT OF GUN-OWNERS FOR DOING WHAT THEY *MUST* DO - RAISE MONEY? Our NRA has no product. They have no "thing" to sell and make a profit from. Our NRA NEEDS to depend on the donations of it's members to operate.

And our NRA only raises about $250 million/year - a paltry sum for all that must be done and is done. All hunter education, all safety education, all elections, all campaigning, all lobbying, for the 50 states and nation too, all salaries (the Board doesn't get paid BTW) - is what our NRA asks you to help with.

And it's OK if you don't want to help, but WHY TRY TO MAKE OUR NRA LOOK BAD? I remind you that the gun-owning community is going nuts with fear of Obama and his Democrats, and yet you want to complain about them calling you and soliciting you, AN NRA MEMBER, for money.

NRA, please keep doing what you're doing!!! You can call me day or night (and they do.)

Some give their lives in defense of freedom. Other get upset if their dinner is disturbed.

A former NRA president explained it to me once. Do you know why NRA does so much member calling and direct mail? BECAUSE IT WORKS. I suggest we'd all be a lot more unhappy if it didn't.

valleyguy
02-24-2009, 3:23 PM
I guess it's pointless to try to have an unemotional discussion with some people --

I said I didn't like getting phone calls at home, even after letting them know it was not ok, and opined that this was an issue that could alienate others who had the same experience (and then several others echoed this experience and viewpoint). We didn't insult your religion or question your God.

A good grass roots organization understands effective marketing techniques and listens to the feedback of its members, especially those its trying to get money out of. By calling me on a nightly basis for 2 weeks, even after I asked them not to, they lost money. There's a reason why there was all this furor about possibly outlawing telemarketing and creating the National "Do Not Call" List -- Most people hate phone call solicitations. It's an antiquated form of DR marketing, heavy-handed, and frankly, a waste of time in this electronic age, when I've already made it clear that I am fine with them sending me e-mails, which is my preferred form of communication.

Our criticism is constructive, not destructive -- Slamming all of us for "daring" to speak our minds about what bothers us is not constructive, nor is ignoring input that could make being an NRA member more rewarding and less about me getting phone calls in the middle of my dinner. Most people are polite enough to know that calling during dinner time is rude -- maybe the NRA should take note of this.

If this is your NRA that is calling me repeatedly, night after night, and ignoring my requests to be taken off the list, then I suggest you change, because you are achieving the opposite of your intent (and possibly violating federal law), and your statements above do nothing to further the cause you are heralding. In fact, you seem very arrogant and "we can do no wrong" in your attitude. Not what I want to hear from an organization I'm supporting with my money, or who is trying to get my support.

slappomatt
02-24-2009, 3:35 PM
that reason is why I am no longer A member. I know I should be.... but they are worse than the homeless. CHANGE!!!...

tankerman
02-24-2009, 4:49 PM
You must be refering to yourself then. Or did you forget your original post? Or emoticon?

Time to take your ball and go home.
I guess it's pointless to try to have an unemotional discussion with some people --

wellerjohn
02-24-2009, 5:24 PM
First thing I do when signing up for anything is lie about my phone number, they have my email if they need to contact me. :D If they spam me they get added to the junk mail file, to easy.:D

valleyguy
02-24-2009, 7:37 PM
You must be refering to yourself then. Or did you forget your original post? Or emoticon?

Time to take your ball and go home.

My emoticon expressed my displeasure and frustration with the situation, but there wasn't a heck of a lot of ire in my post. So far I only see two people getting emotional and slamming people here -- you and mikehaas. The rest of us were/are having a mature conversation.

Thanks to all who contributed (for or against), and who kept it civil. I'm proud to be a NRA member, I just hope they'll stop calling me during dinner (or at all).

tankerman
02-24-2009, 7:54 PM
I've never been able to appreciate people whining about things they have control over.

Takes more effort to complain than to fix the problem.

So to me, complaining about something you have control over is nothing more than a way to get some attention.
My emoticon expressed my displeasure and frustration with the situation, but there wasn't a heck of a lot of ire in my post. So far I only see two people getting emotional and slamming people here -- you and mikehaas. The rest of us were/are having a mature conversation.

Thanks to all who contributed (for or against), and who kept it civil. I'm proud to be a NRA member, I just hope they'll stop calling me during dinner (or at all).

valleyguy
02-24-2009, 8:27 PM
I've never been able to appreciate people whining about things they have control over.

Takes more effort to complain than to fix the problem.

So to me, complaining about something you have control over is nothing more than a way to get some attention.

It's a discussion forum, so odds are people are going to talk about things in their life, relating to the topic at hand (guns in California), or even off-topic. If you have a problem with that, I think maybe you're in the wrong place, because I see a whole heck of a lot of threads of people showing off their guns, asking questions, planning get-togethers, etc. -- all things that seem to fit your definition of "getting attention." For some reason you have singled me (and another poster) out as someone doing something out of the norm -- I think that would be classified as a "personal attack" under forum rules.

I wanted to know if anyone else had the experience I had with the NRA, and whether doing something about it (which I did, if you had bothered to read my posts) helped at all. Having taken action, I then expressed my frustration at the situation, and informally asked for other insights into the situation.

Interestingly, some people did have my experience, and some never got a single call from the NRA. Exactly the kind of info I was asking about, and the very point of why I brought up my thread. I have plenty of things to deal with in my life without "looking for attention" here -- if you notice, this is the first thread I've started or posted in in some time, and I did so after the 14th call I had gotten from the NRA in 10 days. I also appreciated the feedback others had about how I could further act to resolve my situation.

Your comments, however, have been nothing but negative and baiting/trolling to those of us having an earnest discussion here. I'm really not sure why a moderator hasn't stepped forward to intervene (they sure do jump in when it's about something they care about), but I've seen others get dinged by them for far less baiting than you did. Not sure if you got up on the wrong side of the bed or didn't take your antidepressants today, but you've got a real bad attitude and your grumpiness is not suited for this thread when everyone else seemed to be able to express their opinion without making personal attacks.

If anything, it was you who seemed to want our attention and to make your presence felt on the discussion. Your comments (please go back and read what you wrote) seemed designed only to provoke a reaction, detract from the conversation, and belittle the opinions of others. Congrats, you succeeded.

Mods, is this along the lines of how you would like conversations to go? I understand (and have participated) in such heated or petty banter in the off-topic forum, but here in the 2nd Amendment forum, on an opinion I don't think is very controversial, I didn't expect trolling to go on so long unchecked, especially since I have been warned of a ban for less when it was me antagonizing someone.

tankerman
02-25-2009, 3:49 PM
Tomato, tomahto, potato, potahto.

What you call a "mature conversation", sounds like whining and complaining to me. Your last post bolsters my opinion.

geeknow
02-25-2009, 4:32 PM
Tomato, tomahto, potato, potahto.

What you call a "mature conversation", sounds like whining and complaining to me. Your last post bolsters my opinion.

And this post achieves what? If you dont like the topic, or the OP, you can choose not to participate. If you DO choose to stay and participate, please remain on topic and civil. That is all the OP is asking.

N6ATF
02-25-2009, 4:58 PM
You actually gave them your real phone number? Better update that asap to a number that is less "objectionable"...

If they are worse than telemarketers, the old number will remain in the system. That's seems to be a basic rule - never delete a live number.

berto
02-25-2009, 5:51 PM
How about this- don't join the NRA but send an anonymous donation in the amount of any membership fee you would have paid for if not for the spam?

You stay off their grid and you still contribute to fighting the good fight.

yellowfin
02-25-2009, 5:57 PM
I can't blame them for needing money, but as I've said several times on here they need to make it by suing the opposition for it.

tankerman
02-25-2009, 6:19 PM
And this post achieves what? If you dont like the topic, or the OP, you can choose not to participate. If you DO choose to stay and participate, please remain on topic and civil. That is all the OP is asking.This is coming from a guy that started a now deleted 10 page Spam/Advertising/trolling thread.

geeknow
02-25-2009, 6:22 PM
How about this- don't join the NRA but send an anonymous donation in the amount of any membership fee you would have paid for if not for the spam?

You stay off their grid and you still contribute to fighting the good fight.

this is what i've done since i chose to let my membership go. works for me.