PDA

View Full Version : Why can't they all think this way

10fcp
02-22-2009, 12:41 PM
February 22, 2009

Bill Filed To Ban Microstamping Of Guns
posted February 20, 2009

Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, has filed legislation that would ban the sale of “microstamped” firearms and ammunition, calling them an infringement on the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

California has passed a law mandating microstamping of firearms, “and I predict that Tennessee will pass a law banning it,” Sen. Jackson said.

Called the “Second Amendment Protection Act,” the bill would outlaw sale of firearms and ammunition that are laser-engraved, or microstamped, to identify the buyer of the firearm or ammunition after it has been shot.

“This process does little to track criminals, but it does a lot to eclipse our Second Amendment right to bear arms,” Sen. Jackson said.

Microstamping would lead to the establishment of a registry or database of gun-owners who are guilty of nothing more than owning a gun, the senator noted. “A firearm registry is a preamble to gun confiscation. And the law-abiding American gun owner would have to pay the added costs it would incur.”

He said the legislation "points out that microstamping would do little to fight or solve crime" because:

Most guns used to commit crimes are purchased illegally, many of them stolen, so a microstamp ID would be meaningless.

Microstamping can easily be removed from a firearm with simple tools.

Most guns do not eject shell casings, which is where the microstamp mark is found.

Microstamping wastes money that could be used on proven crime-fighting methods that give results.

“Just last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that each citizen has a constitutional right to bear arms,” Sen. Jackson said. “But we have to be diligent if we are to protect that right.

“Microstamping is meaningless technology that threatens the Second Amendment.”

Sen. Jackson filed the legislation Feb. 12 as Senate Bill No. 1908. If passed, it would amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Sen. Jackson represents Dickson, Giles, Hickman, Humphreys, Lawrence and Lewis Counties.

DNA
02-22-2009, 1:00 PM
The only scary part of this thread was this "Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, has filed legislation that would ban the sale of “microstamped” firearms and ammunition, calling them an infringement on the Second Amendment right to bear arms. " Being that microstamped firearms are supposed to be the only ones legal.... a ban on them would also put a halt to new firearms sales...

Although hey, microstamping is for all intents and purposes is, dead.

Racefiend
02-22-2009, 1:04 PM
Most guns do not eject shell casings, which is where the microstamp mark is found.

I'm all against microstamping and all, but it does erk me when I see our side spreading FUD. That should be saved for the gun nazis.

Apostolos
02-22-2009, 1:23 PM
California has passed a law mandating microstamping of firearms,

:confused:

RRangel
02-22-2009, 1:29 PM

Yes, it's law. Only it might be a decade before they can implement it. It was an addition to the "not unsafe" handgun list, remember?

deleted by PC police
02-22-2009, 1:32 PM
I'm all against microstamping and all, but it does erk me when I see our side spreading FUD. That should be saved for the gun nazis.

Maybe he believes that most guns are revolvers.

ke6guj
02-22-2009, 1:35 PM
The only scary part of this thread was this "Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, has filed legislation that would ban the sale of “microstamped” firearms and ammunition, calling them an infringement on the Second Amendment right to bear arms. " Being that microstamped firearms are supposed to be the only ones legal.... a ban on them would also put a halt to new firearms sales...

Although hey, microstamping is for all intents and purposes is, dead.

The legislator in question is from Tennessee, and the law would be to ament TN law, not CA law.

Yes, it is CA law.
12126. As used in this chapter, "unsafe handgun" means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, for which any of the following is true:
(b) For a pistol:
(7) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 12131, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions. The Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph. The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 12090 and 12094. However, there are patent restrictions on microstamping which should prevent the law from going into effect.

Apostolos
02-22-2009, 1:35 PM
Yes, it's law. Only it might be a decade before they can implement it.

Wow! How'd I miss that one? Bummer.:(

So when it is implemented, it will be the end of all firearms and ammunition in the state (with the exception of the elite I'm sure)? What companies are going to retool for that?

I'll have to do a little searching on the forum to find out the details.

God Bless,
David

ke6guj
02-22-2009, 1:36 PM
Maybe he believes that most guns are revolvers.Maybe in TN, the majority of handguns are still revolvers?

ke6guj
02-22-2009, 1:38 PM

So when it is implemented, it will be the end of all firearms and ammunition in the state (with the exception of the elite I'm sure)? I'll have to do a little searching on the forum to find out the details. What companies are going to retool for that?
It would be the end of new handgun models being added to the Roster that didnt microstamp. You'd still be able to buy and sell existing handgun models that were already on the roster. Just like Glock can't add an entirely new model to the roster due to lack of magazine disconnect (forget about similar models like the SF frames), but can continue to sell the existing listed models.

Apostolos
02-22-2009, 2:05 PM
Well, a few minutes on the search function told me everything I needed to know about the subject, e.g., patent issues, intellectual property, etc.

Hopefully the Roster will be done away with and microstamping will be thrown out with the bathwater.

God bless,
David

Meplat
02-22-2009, 2:56 PM
Are you sure you are correct in your assumptions? Cartridge revolvers have been in production for 150 years.

Meplat
02-22-2009, 3:00 PM
All you need is an FFL with a file or a moto-tool.:43:

So when it is implemented, it will be the end of all firearms and ammunition in the state (with the exception of the elite I'm sure)? What companies are going to retool for that?

I'll have to do a little searching on the forum to find out the details.

God Bless,
David

BroncoBob
02-22-2009, 3:10 PM
Can law makers be micro stamped?

Racefiend
02-22-2009, 6:51 PM
Are you sure you are correct in your assumptions? Cartridge revolvers have been in production for 150 years.

Well, according to the usdoj, there are more requests for semi-automatic handgun traces than there are revolvers, so one would assume they are used more often in crime. TN could be different, though. Either way, a statement like that should have had an accompanying reference. No data reference = FUD in my book.

DDT
02-22-2009, 9:22 PM
Can law makers be micro stamped?

Not advised, the brain to stamp ration would be too small.

7x57
02-23-2009, 4:01 PM
T
However, there are patent restrictions on microstamping which should prevent the law from going into effect.

Urk. It just occured to me that it would probably be fairly trivial for, say, George Soros to purchase the patent(s) and put it in the public domain or otherwise donate it in a way acceptable to California.

7x57