View Full Version : Single shot pistol exemption....?

02-22-2009, 9:41 AM
I am in the process of building my first AR pistol. As we all know CA is full of gun laws and hoops we have to jump thru in order to be a gun owner. In building an AR pistol, the use of a single shot sled makes the pistol exempt from the safe roster. My question is.... Can this also apply to handguns as well? If I make a slingle shot magazine for that "off-list" pistol, can it be DROSd as such??? :thumbsup:

02-22-2009, 9:44 AM
I think you'd have to remove the magazine release and fix that single shot mag into the pistol. Otherwise the gun itself isn't changed at all.

02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is the exemption to the Roster that you need to comply with.

(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

So, even if you run a zero-round SLED with a fixed-release, you still have to meet the minimum dimensions. And that may require an extended barrel. That is one major reason why at least one Calgunner offered on loan his rifle-caliber 1911 single-shot upper, to make length.