PDA

View Full Version : What American police officers say about gun ownership

RRangel
02-21-2009, 7:42 PM
Surprise surprise, or maybe not.

The San Diego Police Officers Association polled it's members about gun control on the 5th May 1997 and published the results in their official newsletter, "The Informant".

Note that the actual questions asked are stated here to prevent confusion. Anyone who has taken a survey knows the pitfalls of vague or misleading questions. I know I certainly do.

1.....Do you support an assault weapons ban? NO - 82.1%

2.....Do you support a limitation on magazine capacity? NO - 82.2%

3.....Do you support a law-abiding private citizen's right to carry a concealed weapon? YES - 84.9%

4.....Do you believe that armed, law abiding citizens are a threat to you as a police officer? NO - 87.8%

5.....Have recent gun laws (weapons ban, magazine capacity limits, and increased waiting periods) reduced violent crime in your area? NO - 94.2%

Eat that Paul Helmke.

http://community2.myfoxdfw.com/_What-American-police-officers-say-about-gun-ownership/BLOG/191211/78592.html

Saigon1965
02-21-2009, 7:43 PM
Oh I do enjoy the 5th question's answer -

CavTrooper
02-21-2009, 7:47 PM
Poll from 1997.

It would be interesting to see the answers to the exact same questions today.

RRangel
02-21-2009, 7:52 PM
Poll from 1997.

Very true. I think it's important though because perceptions can be wrong. Especially in light of the fact that the banners always like to quote law enforcement, that and I don't like to miss a chance to poke gun banners in the eye, even if it's 1997. :)

CavTrooper
02-21-2009, 7:55 PM
Very true. I think it's important though because perceptions can be wrong. Especially in light of the fact that the banners always like to quote law enforcement, that and I don't like to miss a chance to poke gun banners in the eye, even if it's 1997. :)

Its a poll of San Diego police officers from 1997, you want to poke anything anywhere, you need more current information.

Kid Stanislaus
02-21-2009, 9:35 PM
The fly in the oatmeal is that when these VERY SAME police officers get promoted to Ch-O-Po they do a 180 and suddenly decide that issuing CCW permits is a bad idea. Who gives a fly'n rodent's posterior what the flatfoot on the street thinks about it. The PROBLEM is with the people who have the power to issue but refuse to do it.

tyrist
02-21-2009, 9:40 PM
The fly in the oatmeal is that when these VERY SAME police officers get promoted to Ch-O-Po they do a 180 and suddenly decide that issuing CCW permits is a bad idea. Who gives a fly'n rodent's posterior what the flatfoot on the street thinks about it. The PROBLEM is with the people who have the power to issue but refuse to do it.

Because if he issues them the city council will fire him? That might have something to do with it.

1911su16b870
02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Because if he issues them the city council will fire him? That might have something to do with it.

And if he doesn't issue them to the city council, they will fire him! :D :D

CCWFacts
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I've just been having an email dialog with the mayor of one of the most liberal cities in America about CCW. He said no one had ever brought up the topic with him and he would look into it. In fact he said it's the strangest question he's ever been asked. Well, now it's on his radar and when a CCW question comes up, he'll know that there are some people in his city who do want the chief to start issuing to us ordinary Joes.

I think this issue is way way below the radar and police chiefs often go on their own assumptions about it. I also had an email dialog with a city council candidate for this same ultra-liberal ultra-Democratic city and she said that she's strongly pro-CCW and would bring it up when she gets on the council. And she's a leading candidate; she will probably win. It's not some kooky write-in candidate.

I think if city councils heard from their constituents more on this issue, their police chiefs might want to take a more nuanced stance on it....

It's up to you! Contact your city council reps, especially during their campaigns.

Kid Stanislaus
02-22-2009, 10:18 AM

And you can bet your booty he won't even stand before the city council and try to make the case for CCW. It shouldn't be all that hard to make a reasonable arguement for pro-carry.

Max-the-Silent
02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Poll from 1997.

The polling could reflect whatever results you'd want to achieve based on what agency was polled.

My best swag is that the numbers would be similar m/l if my department was polled.

nicki
02-23-2009, 1:18 AM
If you are going to discuss CCW permits in front of a city council, I would suggest asking the council to please explain how the chief's current policies comply with Art 1 sec 7b of the state constitution which says no citizen or class of citizens shall be granted a privilige or immunity that is not granted on a equal basis to everyone else.

Don't just focus on guns, expand the issue.

It is best if you get a group, preferably woman and minorities.

Ultimately we need to copy what they are doing in Orange county in every county.

Nicki

WokMaster1
02-23-2009, 8:06 AM
If you are going to discuss CCW permits in front of a city council, I would suggest asking the council to please explain how the chief's current policies comply with Art 1 sec 7b of the state constitution which says no citizen or class of citizens shall be granted a privilige or immunity that is not granted on a equal basis to everyone else.

Don't just focus on guns, expand the issue.

It is best if you get a group, preferably woman and minorities.

Ultimately we need to copy what they are doing in Orange county in every county.

Nicki

Nicki, you're asking too much from your city council folks. That's way above their heads. All you'll get is the "deer in the headlight" look on their face,.....Huh!:D

DDT
02-23-2009, 9:06 AM
Nicki, you're asking too much from your city council folks. That's way above their heads. All you'll get is the "deer in the headlight" look on their face,.....Huh!:D

That's exactly the goal. If they see the headlights they may try to get out of the middle of the road before the semi takes them out.

I think that working through the City Council would be much better than through a board of supervisors since the City Council employees the Chief of Police but the Sheriff is an elected office. (i.e. it is easier to apply political pressure at the city level.)

rrr70
02-23-2009, 9:27 AM
I've just been having an email dialog with the mayor of one of the most liberal cities in America about CCW. He said no one had ever brought up the topic with him and he would look into it. In fact he said it's the strangest question he's ever been asked. Well, now it's on his radar and when a CCW question comes up, he'll know that there are some people in his city who do want the chief to start issuing to us ordinary Joes.

I think this issue is way way below the radar and police chiefs often go on their own assumptions about it. I also had an email dialog with a city council candidate for this same ultra-liberal ultra-Democratic city and she said that she's strongly pro-CCW and would bring it up when she gets on the council. And she's a leading candidate; she will probably win. It's not some kooky write-in candidate.

I think if city councils heard from their constituents more on this issue, their police chiefs might want to take a more nuanced stance on it....

It's up to you! Contact your city council reps, especially during their campaigns.

Don't tell me it is San Francisco.:TFH: :D

Meplat
02-24-2009, 1:45 AM
That's exactly the goal. If they see the headlights they may try to get out of the middle of the road before the semi takes them out.

I think that working through the City Council would be much better than through a board of supervisors since the City Council employees the Chief of Police but the Sheriff is an elected office. (i.e. it is easier to apply political pressure at the city level.)

Didn't work here. Electing the right sheriff did.:thumbsup:

DDT
02-24-2009, 6:20 AM
Granted a good sheriff is better in some ways, it is a victory for a larger number of people but the problem can instantly re-appear with the election of ONE PERSON. Our rights should not be protected by such a thin shield. If you go one city at a time it can at least be made into an ordinance which would require a vote on the council to change and won't hinge on a single person's whim.

zoid52
02-24-2009, 2:18 PM
Cops are NOT your friends.

DDT
02-24-2009, 4:32 PM

Speak for yourself; some are my friends and some are my family and some I really don't like.

eta34
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Yawn.

bohoki
02-24-2009, 10:49 PM

not when you are a suspect