PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, what's the deal with the attitude at Gun shops..?

flatovercrest
02-21-2009, 3:42 PM
Really, is the markup that big on firearms that gun shop owners and employees can get away with rudeness and zero customer service?
In my area there 5 major gun shops and 3 more in another area I frequent in San Diego. The attitude of the people that work sucks in all of them.
Noone approaches you when you are looking at stock, everyone looks depressed, you call asking for a specific brand handgun and they say "no, we don't have it", then you decide to drive there anyway and they have many of that gun you called in stock, etc.
I'm a business owner and damn, in a moment of recession like this you try to accomodate, take care and make ANY deal happen..(and luckily for me it's working).
What's the deal at gun stores..?

DedEye
02-21-2009, 3:45 PM
Seriously, this topic gets covered every week.

I don't know why shops are like this; the ones I go to aren't.

flatovercrest
02-21-2009, 3:49 PM
Seriously, this topic gets covered every week.

Sorry mate, just trying to understand. Wasn't aware of other topics on the subject. I check this webpage only occasionally.

paintballergb
02-21-2009, 3:51 PM
Honestly I think they profile you. I am a fairly sharp dresser and when I walk into gun shops like that they treat me almost like I don't belong but the times I dress with some camo and stuff then all the sudden I am treated like at equal. That's just in my experience

Quint
02-21-2009, 3:59 PM
Honestly I think they profile you. I am a fairly sharp dresser and when I walk into gun shops like that they treat me almost like I don't belong but the times I dress with some camo and stuff then all the sudden I am treated like at equal. That's just in my experience

Gotta sorta agree with that notion. Recently picked up a nice 44 Tracker from an ol' timer's shop. Probably could have saved a dollar or two, if I'd bought from somewhere else. But, he wasn't about selling me the latest, most tacti-cool items on the market.. unlike a few other local shops. Just straight talk, no BS, and good solid answers... and wasn't afraid to look something up if he wasn't 100% sure.The extra dollars were money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Even dropped alot more coin for some reloading equipment and supplies.

5150Marcelo
02-21-2009, 4:04 PM
Honestly, I buy my guns and accessories online now (even with the fees, its still cheaper), and also do my shopping here on CGNs too. Its much easier to deal with you fine folks than have to deal with some stuck up snobby ***holes at the local gunshops. Im done with them.

Viper49
02-21-2009, 4:06 PM
We have the same problem at the Bayarea South as well. Is the luck of the draw. Targetmaster West got the good, bad and ugly, Irivington are good, Sportmsnd Supply are good, gun exchange are generally good and the New reeds are good. Is not just your area. Just boycot the bad and shop with the good.

jksupplyco
02-21-2009, 4:07 PM
It a pretty common complaint amongst gun owners.. Its beyond me why its like that.. Trust me, markup ain't THAT good...

If I ever get like that.. Somebody call me out on it..

1lostinspace
02-21-2009, 4:10 PM
You mean the I am God you are nothing attitude?

DedEye
02-21-2009, 4:11 PM
Sorry mate, just trying to understand. Wasn't aware of other topics on the subject. I check this webpage only occasionally.

It happens. I have no answer for why this industry attracts some of the worst people ever involved in customer service.

It a pretty common complaint amongst gun owners.. Its beyond me why its like that.. Trust me, markup ain't THAT good...

You're turning into Wes. I am calling you out. :p

Army GI
02-21-2009, 4:22 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that gun shop employees are probably not natural salesmen. Sales is an afterthought. "Hey, I like guns, why not open a gun store!"

In most other instances you have a salesperson, who has good people skills, who is not particularly attached to whatever he or she is selling, just learn about whatever it is they are selling to keep their job. Selling, customer satisfaction, and working that commission is their first priority. "You want me to sell shoes? I'll sell shoes. Want me to sell vacuum cleaners? I'll sell vacuum cleaners!"

You usually don't see people who haven't been raised in a gun culture, much less have never shot a gun before, apply for a job as a gunshop salesperson.

As as a side note. I think I'd make a great salesperson for a gun shop. I have good people skills and lots of patience. And I certainly don't have a holier than thou attitude.

Saigon1965
02-21-2009, 4:25 PM
All the above and 100 other reasons -

WINGEDSWORD
02-21-2009, 4:36 PM
I'm in the Los Angeles Area. I am fortunate to have 3 oustanding shops within a 40 minute drive. Gunkings Armory in Glendale(Closest) Fort Courage Armory in Simi Valley and Bain and Davis in San Gabriel(Farthest). But I also have to put up with some shops that are so bad, attitude wise or policy wise, that I won't shop there, at all. 1.Martin B.Retting. Expensive, snobbish
attitude. 2. Turners in Reseda. terrible attitude, take forever to answer the telephone.(if they do)3. Big 5 Make their own rules on waiting period, poor ammo selection.4. Gun World in Burbank. OVERPRICED, arrogant and just plain rude. Went in there, just after Christmas to do a PPT. Was told to wait until all other customers were done. If someone came in AFTER me, that I would be behind THEM! Told the counter man where He colud go and left!

jksupplyco
02-21-2009, 4:36 PM
You're turning into Wes. I am calling you out. :p

If you catch me in Crocs, I'll do myself. :D

Mssr. Elegantť
02-21-2009, 5:54 PM
Guys who open gun shops should be required to watch this old film first...

http://www.archive.org/details/MantoMan1947

:p

jmf_tracy
02-21-2009, 5:59 PM
if you think gun shops are bad, try dealing with the high end rifle builders.

xxxx
02-21-2009, 6:02 PM
I'll tell you why they're weirdos or rude:

A) They weren't able to become a cop (I beyt you it was psyche reasons)
B) They never went to college (ask them how long they've been behind that counter)
C) They are pissed you interrupted them while they were making up more lies about how they were once a Navy Seal.

MontClaire
02-21-2009, 6:10 PM
Most if not all of these shops are owned and ran by hobbyists and not businessman hence the outcome.

JTROKS
02-21-2009, 6:11 PM
Some of the shops I've visited that has friendly employees have been Irvington Arms in Freemont, J&R Sports Supply in Livermore, City Arms in Pacifica. I've worked at a gunshop before and my boss wasn't the most friendly guy around, in fact he can be considered a redneck in most dictionaries. There are days that he'll entertain most folks, but his threshold level for BS is not very high. I suppose gun shop employees are people too, they have bad days and good days you just have to roll the dice. :D

swerv512
02-21-2009, 6:14 PM
i've bought firearms at three shops close to SF. I was treated more than "fairly" the first time i went into all three. However, nothing makes a salesperson more cheerful than repeat business. I've noticed that once I become a familiar face, the more open storeowners and workers get. I make sure i formally address whomever i speak to. I dont ask "dumb questions"- yes, people- there are such things. i patiently wait my turn. i dont assume that just because i'm standing near a counter that i am next to be served. i find it better for most salespeople to approach me when they're ready rather than when i'm ready. People (including those at gunshops) have good and bad days. recognize that although you are there to more than likely spend some of your hard-earned cash, these folks are really doing you a service.
my $0.02

Fjold
02-21-2009, 6:29 PM
If you catch me in Crocs, I'll do myself. :D

LMAO! :thumbsup:

CSACANNONEER
02-21-2009, 6:34 PM
if you think gun shops are bad, try dealing with the high end rifle builders.

The few I know treat me like an equal. Or, at least like a potential high dollar sale. Of course, I first met them at competitions so it's different than some voice on the phone or lookie-lou who wandered in off the street.

kurac
02-21-2009, 6:44 PM
I got some lame tude the other day when I walked in a shop. There were three boobs behind the counter and one asked me if there was something I was looking for. I said sure, do you have a registered magnum? this was followed by a dumb look from all three, some chuckles and at least one rolled his eyes. So I asked if any of them knew what that meant, all three shook their heads and said no, so I said well I guess that means you don't have one. I then proceeded to look at consignment rifles.

Jorge
02-21-2009, 6:48 PM
I went to a gunshop just north of san diego that had horrible service to say the least. After entering I saw a gentleman behind the counter standing and reading a magazine. I greeted him and his only response was "mmm" not even making eye contact or so much as to look in my direction. I then asked him if they had a Glock22 in stock.
His response was "look through the glass counter, if it aint there we aint got it." keep in mind this guy has even taken his eyes off his magazine the entire time. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but that kind of stand-offish attitude really made me feel unwanted so I just left.

hoozaru
02-21-2009, 6:54 PM
Did PPT at one store in Costa Mesa today, very friendly staff.

Corbin Dallas
02-21-2009, 7:06 PM
No matter what industry you frequent, there will be people who you just cannot deal with. Gun stores are no exception.

With that said, Turners, El Cajon Gun Exchange and DGM are the lowest on my list. If I see something for sale at a good price I may buy it, but new items I'll buy from other locations.

Cal Police Equip, Royal, Ironsights, ASC and Gusslers are top of my list.

SoCalGuns are in the middle.

I give most sales people the benefit of the doubt, there are good people and there are bad people. Find a sales person that treats you well and with respect and stick to that person.

Just my .02

JTROKS
02-21-2009, 7:08 PM
One more gunshop that has some very nice folks is River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento. Although I went there for a PPT, they were very helpful and cheerful. The one employee was explaining to a NOOB what's best for an all around pistol, and I'd say he was tactful and very sincere about his opinion. One thing that I've learned is to never keep an attitude when there is a must have gun on the glass display. I don't care if the guy is rude, but if he has a nice gun for cheap and I end up taking it home it's a plus for me. If I don't buy it I'm not about to tell the gunshop that they are selling it cheap. :thumbsup:

tankerman
02-21-2009, 7:18 PM
Imagine if you had to deal with the all the think-I'm-super-intelligent-know-it-alls from CGN everyday, combine that with low paying retail sales people and you have a recipe for the "Perfect Storm"

Kid Stanislaus
02-21-2009, 7:26 PM
Geeze, I frequent about 7 or 8 shops between Fair Oaks and Turlock and the only one I feel is a real dud is Ronning Arms in Modesto. I make it a point to not come off like a cocky know-it-all and I don't bother the help unless there's something I really want or want to know.

elrcastor
02-21-2009, 7:47 PM
I got some lame tude the other day when I walked in a shop. There were three boobs behind the counter and one asked me if there was something I was looking for. I said sure, do you have a registered magnum? this was followed by a dumb look from all three, some chuckles and at least one rolled his eyes. So I asked if any of them knew what that meant, all three shook their heads and said no, so I said well I guess that means you don't have one. I then proceeded to look at consignment rifles.

what is a registered magnum?

xxxx
02-21-2009, 8:03 PM
Geeze, I frequent about 7 or 8 shops between Fair Oaks and Turlock and the only one I feel is a real dud is Ronning Arms in Modesto. I make it a point to not come off like a cocky know-it-all and I don't bother the help unless there's something I really want or want to know.

YOU ARE A CUSTOMER - YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO COME OFF AS ANYTHING! I am sick and tired of people making excuses for these peoples behavior. Whether it be shooting ranges or gun shops - there is no excuse to act like some of these people do.

When I go into a clothing store I am cocky, I am a know-it-all, I know what kind of jeans fit me best, even if the sales person brings me out a boot cut.

I have heard so many B.S. excuses, next thing I am going to hear is - "They have a dangerous job" - No one forced them to work at a gun shop/shooting range.

I personally think there should be a thread about gun shops/ranges to avoid, reasons being:

A) If you take a new shooter there it will leave a VERY bad taste in their mouth
B) If we do not give them business they will be forced to hire people who are decent people.
C) FUD

Off the top of my head I did a CalGuns search for a shooting range that I know is very unprofessional, very rude, employees make racial remarks, and full of FUD. The owner (or manager) of that range decided to post here to "defend" his range - this is what he had to say:

Maybe if you didn't act like a know it all, holier than tho, little punk the guys at the range would treat you better. I do find it rather amusing that everyone on staff has the same opinion of you.

Folks,

Here's a guy that lives in a nicey nicey nicey neighbor hood and thinks he's real special because mommy and daddy have a few bucks. He expects the world to cater to him at the drop of hat. He's an arrogant and condecending 20 year old little punk who can't even pruchase a handgun, but seems to be a self appointed expert on guns and shooting.

Typical Internet wennie.

Moreover, you seemed to have a very negative opinion of me even before the "UZI" event as you put it. I remember seeing you around the shop and never even had word one with you. So, whats up with that?

The truth be told we don't suffer fools and if you act like an idiot you'll be treated like one. Little punks like you expect the world to conform to you needs and when it doesn't you throw a hissy fit and take the the Internet because you're not man enough to do it face to face. You rant and vent because some one hurt your overly sensitive half man sissy boy feelings.

Like I said before, Poor Baby.

Dude you need to grow up and toughen up.

Over.........................

Fred (A-hole)

Let's rock.

www.wct.4t.com

What peeves me even more is this guy is still a member here - he was not banned for his behavior. PEOPLE LIKE THIS HAVE NO PLACE IN THE CALIFORNIA SHOOTING COMMUNITY. If you want to live out in a trailer 300 miles away from anyone in the south then go ahead, but people like that hinder CA gun rights.

I think there should be a list of gun shops/ranges to avoid on this forum - it would help the California gun community out a lot. What new shooter would want to deal with the kind of person who I quoted above?

So tell me - why don't we have something like that? We have enough BS to deal with, when we go to the range we should not have to deal with this personal BS.

I am disappointed in the fact that people still use these establishments due to proximity or after they've been in there 10 times the employees don't hassle them AS MUCH.:mad::mad::mad:

Some places have bad policies, one example I can think of is LAX where they man-handle your firearm through a window, I have never seen a sign that says;

WE ARE GOING TO TREAT YOU LIKE CRAP IF YOU:
A) Are new to shooting
B) Look "thuggish"
C) Act cocky
D) Act like a know it all

The name of the range that I am speaking about above is Sharpshooters in Southern California, go do a CalGuns search and see what comes up. Why are we supporting this? It took me less then 10 min to find 2 different members reporting open racism and the same quality of "customer service"

mcsoupman
02-21-2009, 8:32 PM
I am new to handguns as some of you have seen. I made it a point at my local FFLs to say that up front. 3 local shops were great Mayfields, Breco, and McCormics. Mayfields had a guy that was excellent, took his time with me and showed me everything I asked about. Only problem there is the last 2 times I came in they were uber busy. But that means everyone else likes them too I guess. The local range was great and easy going for me. They were a little short but not rude. I could see how they would be tense though with noobs like me or other idiots that don't pay attention and could really do something dumb. Thankfully no problems so far.

xxxx
02-21-2009, 8:34 PM
I am new to handguns as some of you have seen. I made it a point at my local FFLs to say that up front. 3 local shops were great Mayfields, Breco, and McCormics. Mayfields had a guy that was excellent, took his time with me and showed me everything I asked about. Only problem there is the last 2 times I came in they were uber busy. But that means everyone else likes them too I guess. The local range was great and easy going for me. They were a little short but not rude. I could see how they would be tense though with noobs like me or other idiots that don't pay attention and could really do something dumb. Thankfully no problems so far.

By that logic could you also see how a kindergarten teacher would beat her students? They signed up for the job, no one held a gun to their head.

caldude
02-21-2009, 8:40 PM

+1 I'd like to know the answer to this one also. I've never heard that term.

swerv512
02-21-2009, 8:49 PM
Start the "Gunshops To Avoid" thread...

Army GI
02-21-2009, 8:51 PM
+1 I'd like to know the answer to this one also. I've never heard that term.

google:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_161_27/ai_95120536

22popnsplat
02-21-2009, 9:02 PM
Why in hell would you want to treated as equal with a gunshop employee/Owner ? \

ke6guj
02-21-2009, 9:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_27

The Smith & Wesson (S&W) Model 27 is the original .357 Magnum revolver and was first produced in 1935; production ceased in the 1990s. The Model 27 was built on Smith and Wesson's carbon steel, large N-frame, was available at various times with 3 1/2", 4", 5", 6" or 8 3/8" barrel lengths and had adjustable sights.

When first introduced by Smith and Wesson in 1935 it was known as the .357 magnum Registered Magnum. The model was essentially a custom order revolver. Barrel lengths could be had in quarter inch increments from 3.5" to 8.75" in length. In addition to the different length of barrels available there were different grips, front sites, triggers, hammers and finishes available. Each Registered Magnum came with a certificate of authenticity.

lioneaglegriffin
02-21-2009, 9:15 PM
YOU ARE A CUSTOMER - YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO COME OFF AS ANYTHING! I am sick and tired of people making excuses for these peoples behavior. Whether it be shooting ranges or gun shops - there is no excuse to act like some of these people do.

When I go into a clothing store I am cocky, I am a know-it-all, I know what kind of jeans fit me best, even if the sales person brings me out a boot cut.

I have heard so many B.S. excuses, next thing I am going to hear is - "They have a dangerous job" - No one forced them to work at a gun shop/shooting range.

I personally think there should be a thread about gun shops/ranges to avoid, reasons being:

A) If you take a new shooter there it will leave a VERY bad taste in their mouth
B) If we do not give them business they will be forced to hire people who are decent people.
C) FUD

Off the top of my head I did a CalGuns search for a shooting range that I know is very unprofessional, very rude, employees make racial remarks, and full of FUD. The owner (or manager) of that range decided to post here to "defend" his range - this is what he had to say:

What peeves me even more is this guy is still a member here - he was not banned for his behavior. PEOPLE LIKE THIS HAVE NO PLACE IN THE CALIFORNIA SHOOTING COMMUNITY. If you want to live out in a trailer 300 miles away from anyone in the south then go ahead, but people like that hinder CA gun rights.

I think there should be a list of gun shops/ranges to avoid on this forum - it would help the California gun community out a lot. What new shooter would want to deal with the kind of person who I quoted above?

So tell me - why don't we have something like that? We have enough BS to deal with, when we go to the range we should not have to deal with this personal BS.

I am disappointed in the fact that people still use these establishments due to proximity or after they've been in there 10 times the employees don't hassle them AS MUCH.:mad::mad::mad:

Some places have bad policies, one example I can think of is LAX where they man-handle your firearm through a window, I have never seen a sign that says;

WE ARE GOING TO TREAT YOU LIKE CRAP IF YOU:
A) Are new to shooting
B) Look "thuggish"
C) Act cocky
D) Act like a know it all

The name of the range that I am speaking about above is Sharpshooters in Southern California, go do a CalGuns search and see what comes up. Why are we supporting this? It took me less then 10 min to find 2 different members reporting open racism and the same quality of "customer service"

I’ve been to LAX they didn't molest my gun. (maybe it’s a discretionary decision? :confused: ) as for sharpshooters the only reason I go there is to do a FFL transfer (this experience wasn't bad I dealt with a black guy he seemed nice enough he even let me hold a Les Baer 1911 to get a feel for its quality. *didn't want me to dry fire it though*). I know a lot of gun stores around LA probably aren't the best so I buy my stuff online. Got my rifle from Gilberts in KY and I plan on buying my handgun from SniperPX in PA.

lioneaglegriffin
02-21-2009, 9:18 PM
Start the "Gunshops To Avoid" thread...

Lets get McCarthyian on the A*ses make a Black List.

bluthandwerk
02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I buy from the shops where the people in them treat me well. The three shops here in the Bay Area where I've purchased guns are City Arms in Pacifica, J&R in Livermore and Tabor's in San Bruno. In all three shops the employees (or owners, I seem to often deal with them) are courteous, low pressure, and patient. In none of those 3 shops have I ever felt unwelcome, or like I was wasting someone's time. I'm happy to pay a bit more for things because I feel like I am appreciated.

I have been in a few shops before where I felt that the staff could use some help with their customer service skills, and I don't buy from them.

I also have to say that I've gotten great service (over the phone and online) from Riflegear, Ranier, JK, and even Del-ton (actually, their CS reps are great).

WINGEDSWORD
02-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Another Bad report on Gun World. Just happened today. A good friend of mine went into Gun world, today. I advised him not to, but he said that It was convenient. He has purcased 3 handguns from them and recommended 3
other people who purchased from them They were VERY rude to him and told him that the "Paying customers come first" When They finally got around to him, it took 30 minutes! The most it has ever taken me, at a good gun shop was fifteen! He stated that he will NEVER go back there, for anything! I wish more people would stand up and go to a GOOD SHOP. Gunkings Armory is only a couple of miles from gun world, But worlds away in attitude!

kap
02-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Try walking into a gun shop dressed in nice slacks, shirt and tie sometime. Your experiences may vary, but I find service to be a little more prompt and courteous.

One Shot, One Dropped
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Try walking into a gun shop dressed in nice slacks, shirt and tire sometime. Your experiences may vary, but I find service to be a little more prompt and courteous.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I would get prompt service if I was wearing a tire, but how, exactly, do I put one of those on?

Rukus
02-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Try walking into a gun shop dressed in nice slacks, shirt and tire sometime. Your experiences may vary, but I find service to be a little more prompt and courteous.

I don't know about you, but I typically do not like dressing up for very many occasions. Dressing up to walk in to a gun store is VERY far from being on the top of my list of things to do. Why perpetuate this type of mentality? A customer is a customer regardless of the fact they are wearing a tie or not.

Jujak
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Ammo bros at times can have horrible service.
A few of the guys there have horrible attitudes.
I purchased my XD9 from them and aside from them telling me to fill out the dros paperwork, the guy that was helping me did not want to answer any questions i had about the firearm. When i did ask a question, he would give me the "are you an idiot" look and would basically brush off my questions.
The times that i had good customer service was when i actually was helped by one of the store owners.

kap
02-22-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't know about you, but I typically do not like dressing up for very many occasions. Dressing up to walk in to a gun store is VERY far from being on the top of my list of things to do. Why perpetuate this type of mentality? A customer is a customer regardless of the fact they are wearing a tie or not.

I know that some people deplore dressing up. I know many people who find ties to be the bondage of modern society. I just happen to go to the gun shop after work, so I am usually dressed up. I am not advocating for dressing up to go to the gun shop, rather relaying my experience. I did find the response that I received very interesting.

People are people regardless of what they look like, but how they look affects the way we treat them no matter what you think. If I walk into a room dressed in a shirt and tie I know that people will treat me with a certain level of respect regardless of who I am. They will listen attentively if I am well spoken even if they do not agree with or understand what I am saying. If I walk into a room disheveled, with jeans around my butt, my underwear showing and a t-shirt, I guarantee I will not be perceived the same way. Ideally people are people and customers are customers, but realistically we have eyes and ear and brains and experiences that help us evaluate and make decisions about situations. Realistically, looking nice means getting treated nicely and looking like crap means ...

HCz
02-22-2009, 2:11 AM
Imagine if you had to deal with the all the think-I'm-super-intelligent-know-it-alls from CGN everyday, combine that with low paying retail sales people and you have a recipe for the "Perfect Storm"

+1 This is the most concise way to describe what happens. It takes two to tango. There are customers who think they are 'entitled' to wholesale price, and there are know-it-alls who lack social skills working behind the counter. From customer's perspective, those behind the counter are generally idiots, and from behind the counter, those who walk through the doors are more likely a tire kicker.

dasmi
02-22-2009, 5:27 AM
If you're in San Diego, drive out to Alpine and see Doug at Hi-Pass sports. He doesn't have a lot of stock, but if you want something, he can get it, and his prices are good. Plus he's an all around good guy.
http://www.hipasssports.com/
Also, Royal Loan, a pawn shop in San Diego, is a great place. Friendly, helpful staff. http://royalloan.net/

dasmi
02-22-2009, 5:30 AM
Oh, also Hiram's guns in El Cajon, another good place.
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html#hrg

Greg-Dawg
02-22-2009, 6:31 AM
We are becoming our own worst enemies. Sad.

cineski
02-22-2009, 6:36 AM
Once you've been to Martin B. Retting in Culver City, all other grumpy gun shops will look amazingly nice. There are 4 people at Retting that are decent. The rest are incredible *****s. There's a guy with curly silver hair (Bruce??) that is literally one of the meanest men I've ever met. LAX does molest guns. There was an Israeli kid that used to work there walking around looking like a commando and every time I'd bring my non Glock firearm in he'd open the case and "tuck my gun into bed" before giving it back to me. It's amazing what unhappiness does to a person's attitude.

mcsoupman
02-22-2009, 6:52 AM
By that logic could you also see how a kindergarten teacher would beat her students? They signed up for the job, no one held a gun to their head.

What? Was this even posted to the right thread?

Max-the-Silent
02-22-2009, 7:26 AM
Poor customer service/unprofessional attitude is the rule rather than the exception in all retail businesses today.

When I find a business that has good people working there, I tell the manager and/or owner, I keep coming back, and they can look forward to me visiting around Christmas time with a red envelope for the store's employees to have lunch on me.

Don't focus on the bad ones, encourage the good ones.

kermit315
02-22-2009, 7:37 AM

What? Was this even posted to the right thread?

Yes, it was posted to the right thread. His point is that nobody forced them to open a gunshop. How would you react if your kids kindergarten teacher verbally abused or ignored your children because they were aggravated?

Look at it from another perspective: if you took your car in for warranty work and the service writer was "a little short" with you, would you run to the internet and praise them, or would you be pissed off that they have an attitude with a paying customer in the first place.

As xxxx said, nobody forced them into this business, and if they cant cut it, maybe they should cut out.

grim1U
02-22-2009, 8:19 AM
"...With that said, Turners, El Cajon Gun Exchange and DGM are the lowest on my list. If I see something for sale at a good price I may buy it, but new items I'll buy from other locations.

Cal Police Equip, Royal, Ironsights, ASC and Gusslers are top of my list.

SoCalGuns are in the middle..."

Were in the same stomping grounds and I could not agree more with you.

strangerdude
02-22-2009, 8:20 AM
Whenever I buy a gun I just go in and say " I want that, let's start the paperwork" most employees I have encountered are know it all's. There was this A-hole that worked at Redondo Turners and his co-workers would cheer him on when ever he was rude to a customer, they found it to be real amusing. But he was probably an A-hole because he was in his late 30's and working a crappy job! Also when my dad ordered a gun online and had it sent to sharpshooters in Torrance they gave him attitude for ordering online.

cryptkeeper
02-22-2009, 8:28 AM
Royal Loan was good to go. I also didn't have any feelings of apprehension with So Cal Gun either. I especially liked Bright Spot Pawn (need to go back there sometime). I walked into Rifle Gear and they were cool too. The worst place I've ever been is probably The Shootist. I remember walking in there with my dad and one of the antiques in there (the employee, not the guns) looked at us, sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. I'll never go there again. I think these shops act like this because people still continue to go to them. As xxxx has said, we shouldn't support this. If we got this attitude in any other industry, such as at a bank, or a restaurant, we'd never go back but for some reason, we tolerate from the industry we all love the most. I've always wondered how I'd get treated if I was a cop and came in, in uniform to some of these places, or better yet, an ATF agent with my badge around my neck and gun against my waist.

DVLDOC
02-22-2009, 8:32 AM
I went to a gunshop just north of san diego that had horrible service to say the least. After entering I saw a gentleman behind the counter standing and reading a magazine. I greeted him and his only response was "mmm" not even making eye contact or so much as to look in my direction. I then asked him if they had a Glock22 in stock.
His response was "look through the glass counter, if it aint there we aint got it." keep in mind this guy has even taken his eyes off his magazine the entire time. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but that kind of stand-offish attitude really made me feel unwanted so I just left.

let me guess... Duncans at San Marcos?

Kern 44
02-22-2009, 8:40 AM
A lot of gun store employees I know consider themselves big gunners. There are a lot of *****s into guns.

-----

xxxx
02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
We are becoming our own worst enemies. Sad.

We have been for a while, there is plenty of things I dislike about LAX Shooting Range (parking, the man handling of my guns) but the employees are normal civilized human beings. Walking into LAX Shooting Range is like walking into a Gym, whether it is your first time or your hundredth time - no matter how you act (as long as you are safe) they will be polite to you and treat you like a part of a civilized society - maybe that's why you see SO MANY new shooters there - and the employees are more then wiling to answer any "stupid" question. So in that respect I give them a thumbs up.

My favorite FFL is Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside - An elderly friend of mine, her husband just died and she wanted a rifle, she lives in Riverside and I went all the way there because of their reputation alone to transfer her a .380 pistol and a 9mm rifle I had laying around. We ended up talking to the guys there for around 20 min after the transfer - they were closing up the shop and let us out the back entrance. After I asked about AR-15's they had they gave me a PAMPHLET stating laws and facts about the BB/MMG/Mag Lock. More then great people - I just wish they were closer, the only place I do transfers now is Turners simply because they are decent.

It seems to be the nicer the area a gun shop/range is - the more inappropriate the employees are.

I have pretty rough skin so the weirdo employees don't bother me too much, I know if I am going to introduce a person to shooting there are some places to avoid at all costs, if I was going to introduce a person to golfing and they asked an employee at the driving range, "What's the difference between a Nine and a Putter?" and the employee responded in a rude harsh manner - guaranteed they would not have a pleasant experience that day.

Sadly these guys get away with it due to the fact that in CA we don't have many choices and especially right now everyone is buying up guns and going shooting. So I feel it is our duty to try to change this, and make the sport of shooting not so different from other sports - such as golf.

As for me making a thread about "Guns Shops/Ranges to Avoid" - I personally believe I am not "seasoned" enough to make a good list - I think this should be a community effort. There is a difference between inappropriate behavior, safety issues, pet peeves (LAX and their man handling), high prices, and FUD.

I always expect FUD, even when I go shopping, for some reason Seven jeans are $300 and Levi's are $30 now the employee will come up to me and try to sell with some FUD.

Everywhere has differ prices - we can shop around, but I always like to handle something before I buy it, especially a firearm.

Safety issues is a big concern but most places are pretty good.

Inappropriate behavior is inexcusable in any business - and just because they have the "market cornered" they feel like they can treat people like that and give shooting and gun owners the stigma of "weirdos."

slick_711
02-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm a bit bored with the FFL bashing we see constantly on CGNs. And then you guys start a thread wondering why some FFLs don't like us? How regularly do CGNs members make blanket statements about gun store employees being idiots, or about FFLs being bad shops? What did you expect that would generate on the other side? :confused:

I work at a San Diego FFL. I drop hints at it occasionally, and a few CGNs members know that, but I think this is the first time I've out and said it (for two reasons). One, because of the CGNs perception of gun store employees being idiots. And two, because I dislike it when people I don't know at all come in and drop the "oh, I'm from CGNs, can I get a ...." No you can't have 60% off. No I can't give you free stuff. I'm sales staff/rangemaster... I don't get that good of a discount myself, and I'm paid hourly. If you come in when we're not completely slammed and tell me you're on Calguns and introduce yourself, I enjoy meeting you guys. And often times, I try to do a little something on prices for you. But I only have so much room to work with said prices, so don't come in and feel entitled to it; because you simply are not.

Furthermore, I send people to CGNs regularly. I try to answer questions as best I can, and when it comes to 1911s/ARs/Glock/Sig I'm pretty well squared away. But if we're too busy, or I don't know the answer, I say "Hey, this is where you should look, and then next time you're here we can talk more." On more than one occasion, I've done that, come home and researched the customer's question when I had the time, and then it has been ME that answered the question I sent them here to ask.

I don't know S&W as well as I'd like to, especially their older stuff. I had a young man ask me about a "registered magnum" a month or so ago, and I didn't laugh at him (the guy next to me may have), but I'll admit I gave him a funny look. I had never heard of one until this thread prompted me to research it. I apologize to that gentleman (whether he is the poster in this thread or not). However, you have to admit it sounds like something from a movie or video game. And since it's not, why walk away and be upset? You could have just as easily explained what it was. I guarantee you I would have said "oh wow, that's neat. I didn't know about those, but let me talk to some of our other employees, they have safes full of old S&Ws." Nonetheless, I apologize for your experience (if it was at my shop).

By the way guys, I'm not an idiot. :o I very much enjoy surfing CGNs, and do so daily. I also know the CA gun laws very well, and when I don't know them, I admit it and I look it up. The shop I work at doesn't have the best prices, and I wish I was in charge so I could find better sources for the items and thus lower our prices, but our markup is not THAT high, and it's a standard % on all firearms. So perhaps we're high on some things (we got a bad deal on them but we did it so we would have them for you to come kick the tires on...). We're the lowest in town on other things (the stuff we deal factory direct on).

But then, my boss has to pay my wages. He has to pay the lease on the building. He has to pay to maintain the range. He has to pay all the misc bills. He has to pay lawyers fees. He has to pay permit/license renewals. And a number of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. So you'll just have to understand that we can't sell guns at the prices that topglock.com does, when their whole existence consists of three guys in a garage in a gun friendly state, and they go Glock direct because they move such high volume. Just a heads up next time you come in and gawk at price tags... what we pay for a Glock = what topglock sells them for. Knowing that, how can you expect us to sell them for that amount and keep the doors open? And Glock is just an example, sadly that applies to a lot of products.

I'm normally a very friendly guy and try to help everyone the best I can. That said, I do get bored with tire kickers if they're not interesting to talk to. If I show you 5 different guns you have no intention of buying, and you don't even have a cool story to tell me in the meantime, you can't fault me for losing interest in helping you. Especially when there is a customer waiting behind you that wants to buy something. I also have days I'm a bit stressed, I have two jobs and work 7 days a week most weeks. Add in a few other factors, and sometimes I'm not so happy go lucky, but I will say now that I do a damn good job of not abusing customers when that's the case.

I have a whole bunch of other things I'd like to put out in public, but when I started this post my intention was just the first paragraph so I've already spoken beyond my desire. And I bounced around in my post adding things, so I apologize for the lack of flow. :o

CGNs is my home on the internet, it's the first website I go to when I pick up my laptop. But you guys could stand to see both sides of things sometimes (and a handful of you do).

Edit: Hmm, I think I was reading this thread and the "Overheard people speaking poorly about CGNs" thread at the same time. So this may be a reply to both, but I'll just leave it here.

FatOnCoke
02-22-2009, 11:03 AM
It's the guns that are making them feel superior at the shops!
They are normal if you talk to them outside the shop on other subjects. Take them out of their comfort zone.

Most of the people working at gun shops just like guns not because they like customers or selling guns. Itís like you enjoy burgers and would like to work at Burger King. You might not like the people eating there.

Thatís what I think! It's certainly not their pay, education, or intelligence or I would have felt like a king every time entering Turners.

halifax
02-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm a bit bored with the FFL bashing we see constantly on CGNs. And then you guys start a thread wondering why some FFLs don't like us? How regularly do CGNs members make blanket statements about gun store employees being idiots, or about FFLs being bad shops? What did you expect that would generate on the other side? :confused:

I work at a San Diego FFL. I drop hints at it occasionally, and a few CGNs members know that, but I think this is the first time I've out and said it (for two reasons). One, because of the CGNs perception of gun store employees being idiots. And two, because I dislike it when people I don't know at all come in and drop the "oh, I'm from CGNs, can I get a ...." No you can't have 60% off. No I can't give you free stuff. I'm sales staff/rangemaster... I don't get that good of a discount myself, and I'm paid hourly. If you come in when we're not completely slammed and tell me you're on Calguns and introduce yourself, I enjoy meeting you guys. And often times, I try to do a little something on prices for you. But I only have so much room to work with said prices, so don't come in and feel entitled to it; because you simply are not.

Furthermore, I send people to CGNs regularly. I try to answer questions as best I can, and when it comes to 1911s/ARs/Glock/Sig I'm pretty well squared away. But if we're too busy, or I don't know the answer, I say "Hey, this is where you should look, and then next time you're here we can talk more." On more than one occasion, I've done that, come home and researched the customer's question when I had the time, and then it has been ME that answered the question I sent them here to ask.

I don't know S&W as well as I'd like to, especially their older stuff. I had a young man ask me about a "registered magnum" a month or so ago, and I didn't laugh at him (the guy next to me may have), but I'll admit I gave him a funny look. I had never heard of one until this thread prompted me to research it. I apologize to that gentleman (whether he is the poster in this thread or not). However, you have to admit it sounds like something from a movie or video game. And since it's not, why walk away and be upset? You could have just as easily explained what it was. I guarantee you I would have said "oh wow, that's neat. I didn't know about those, but let me talk to some of our other employees, they have safes full of old S&Ws." Nonetheless, I apologize for your experience (if it was at my shop).

By the way guys, I'm not an idiot. :o I very much enjoy surfing CGNs, and do so daily. I also know the CA gun laws very well, and when I don't know them, I admit it and I look it up. The shop I work at doesn't have the best prices, and I wish I was in charge so I could find better sources for the items and thus lower our prices, but our markup is not THAT high, and it's a standard % on all firearms. So perhaps we're high on some things (we got a bad deal on them but we did it so we would have them for you to come kick the tires on...). We're the lowest in town on other things (the stuff we deal factory direct on).

But then, my boss has to pay my wages. He has to pay the lease on the building. He has to pay to maintain the range. He has to pay all the misc bills. He has to pay lawyers fees. He has to pay permit/license renewals. And a number of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. So you'll just have to understand that we can't sell guns at the prices that topglock.com does, when their whole existence consists of three guys in a garage in a gun friendly state, and they go Glock direct because they move such high volume. Just a heads up next time you come in and gawk at price tags... what we pay for a Glock = what topglock sells them for. Knowing that, how can you expect us to sell them for that amount and keep the doors open? And Glock is just an example, sadly that applies to a lot of products.

I'm normally a very friendly guy and try to help everyone the best I can. That said, I do get bored with tire kickers if they're not interesting to talk to. If I show you 5 different guns you have no intention of buying, and you don't even have a cool story to tell me in the meantime, you can't fault me for losing interest in helping you. Especially when there is a customer waiting behind you that wants to buy something. I also have days I'm a bit stressed, I have two jobs and work 7 days a week most weeks. Add in a few other factors, and sometimes I'm not so happy go lucky, but I will say now that I do a damn good job of not abusing customers when that's the case.

I have a whole bunch of other things I'd like to put out in public, but when I started this post my intention was just the first paragraph so I've already spoken beyond my desire. And I bounced around in my post adding things, so I apologize for the lack of flow. :o

CGNs is my home on the internet, it's the first website I go to when I pick up my laptop. But you guys could stand to see both sides of things sometimes (and a handful of you do).

Edit: Hmm, I think I was reading this thread and the "Overheard people speaking poorly about CGNs" thread at the same time. So this may be a reply to both, but I'll just leave it here.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Very well put, slick.

xxxx
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM

I made no mention of FFL's speaking poorly about CalGuns - in fact I always heard FFL's say good things about CalGuns. You guys jumped to the conclusion I was speaking about FFL's - I was speaking about the ordinary Joe.

slick_711
02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I made no mention of FFL's speaking poorly about CalGuns - in fact I always heard FFL's say good things about CalGuns. You guys jumped to the conclusion I was speaking about FFL's - I was speaking about the ordinary Joe.

No, my mistake, there is a different thread about that, and I was reading both at the same time without realizing it. I tab too much. :o

So my post was a mixed response to both. Sorry if that confuses things a bit.

titus7
02-22-2009, 1:00 PM
Its gotta be everywhere even before the election Ive gotten that attitude everywhere I have been. Even when you know more about what you are talking about than they do. Its like they have a bad case of small man syndrome, or because they work in a gun store and have an FFL that they are above and beyond. sorry to rant but after spending a lot of money at various places I would have figured that they would have some sort of respect for ya. That is why I have also resorted trying to buy everything online.

cortayack
02-22-2009, 1:25 PM
Some of the best service I got was from Rednecks in the south, calling to purchase a rifle, told them I was from CA, and never had a problem....LOL!

Anyways, I just went to a gun shop to get some .357 and customer service sucked....I went in to purchse 75$ of 357 and walked out spending nothing...
I've been in that shop twice and that will be the last time. What sucks is they are close. But I won't spend money where I'm not welcome.....

Funny thing about it is my friend did business with this shop, when they had a friendly well liked sales person working there. The owner let him go because "As the owner put it, you are too friendly with customers" then b*tches now he lost $4000 a month after he fired him...

xxxx
02-22-2009, 1:56 PM
Some of the best service I got was from Rednecks in the south, calling to purchase a rifle, told them I was from CA, and never had a problem....LOL!

Anyways, I just went to a gun shop to get some .357 and customer service sucked....I went in to purchse 75$ of 357 and walked out spending nothing...
I've been in that shop twice and that will be the last time. What sucks is they are close. But I won't spend money where I'm not welcome.....

Funny thing about it is my friend did business with this shop, when they had a friendly well liked sales person working there. The owner let him go because "As the owner put it, you are too friendly with customers" then b*tches now he lost $4000 a month after he fired him...

Yup - it seems like all the weirdo rednecks are shipped off to CA to work at gun shops/ranges.:D

daBluman
02-22-2009, 2:09 PM
I have noticed this also. We have a shop in Yuba City that has a bad reputation concerning customer service.

WINGEDSWORD
02-22-2009, 4:13 PM
I think that I have posted fairly. I have posted about the good gun shops
as well as the bad ones. In the good ones, it hasn't mattered whether I went in in Sport Coat and tie,(which I have done) Or jeans,combat boots and a leather jacket.(Which I have also done.) My treatment has been courteous, friendly and helpful. And the bad ones, I have never posted based on only one incident. It takes two or three to really set me off. But what has really torqued me is the rants of a couple of people who have claimed to be gunshop employees, justifying their rude behavior. In fact one was so ignorant
that he only emphasized the other posts.(He claimed to work for Turners) And in most cases these self-justifying clods have made blanket attacks on CGN members. Well, if they don't like it here, LEAVE! As for myself, on the whole I have found CGN members to be friendly, helpful and knowlegable.
Those who lacked knowlege, have courteously asked for help. I appreciated Slicks' post. He presented another view, in a courteous friendly mannor. Kudos, Slick.

gunslinger387
02-26-2009, 2:56 AM
If you're in San Diego, drive out to Alpine and see Doug at Hi-Pass sports. He doesn't have a lot of stock, but if you want something, he can get it, and his prices are good. Plus he's an all around good guy.
http://www.hipasssports.com/
Also, Royal Loan, a pawn shop in San Diego, is a great place. Friendly, helpful staff. http://royalloan.net/

Your right Doug is a great guy my last few purchases were from him and will continue to be. He is a one man shop so call ahead to make sure of the hours or if he is at a shoot.

fallbrook79
02-27-2009, 6:32 AM
i placed an order with lan world and expected to wait.When i ordered she could not tell me when they were going to get them but check on your order anytime.ok thats sounds good so i email about 4 weeks later asking the status of my order and saying thank you for your time and chris emails me back saying hes getting some in in a week but it goes first in first out. then goes on to say that "we ship as fast as you can" and "if you can't wait let us know" to me that came off rude when they have 1600 dollars of my money the least they can do is keep you posted.and why say check anytime if they get mad when you do.if me checking on my order is so much trouble they need to hire some one to do it with out attitude and give some specifics its not like they dont have any business.i wont be ordering any more from them but will wait this order out.we need to remember who treats us like this when the rush is over.

ncmavtgun
02-27-2009, 8:48 AM
Another Bad report on Gun World. Just happened today. A good friend of mine went into Gun world, today. I advised him not to, but he said that It was convenient. He has purcased 3 handguns from them and recommended 3
other people who purchased from them They were VERY rude to him and told him that the "Paying customers come first" When They finally got around to him, it took 30 minutes! The most it has ever taken me, at a good gun shop was fifteen! He stated that he will NEVER go back there, for anything! I wish more people would stand up and go to a GOOD SHOP. Gunkings Armory is only a couple of miles from gun world, But worlds away in attitude!

Gun World definitely has some of the worst employees. They definitely do have one of the best selections, but wayyyyyyyy overpriced. Only shop there if you have no patience and find something you really want.

Does GunKings have a good selection? Last time i went there was about 7 years ago when it was stilll called King's Gun WOrks and they had nothing but rifles and a small selection of handguns.

390 Mach I
02-27-2009, 1:40 PM
Iron Sights and National Police Supply are 2 very good shops in North County.

:thumbsup: to both Chris and Sean!

noluv4hoes
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
i went to a couple of shops in san diego and also el cajon and the best experience i had was at royal loan. ken the owner and maria were very helpful and they gave me a good deal on a colt commander. i will definitely be a return customer.

CAL.BAR
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
i placed an order with lan world and expected to wait.When i ordered she could not tell me when they were going to get them but check on your order anytime.ok thats sounds good so i email about 4 weeks later asking the status of my order and saying thank you for your time and chris emails me back saying hes getting some in in a week but it goes first in first out. then goes on to say that "we ship as fast as you can" and "if you can't wait let us know" to me that came off rude when they have 1600 dollars of my money the least they can do is keep you posted.and why say check anytime if they get mad when you do.if me checking on my order is so much trouble they need to hire some one to do it with out attitude and give some specifics its not like they dont have any business.i wont be ordering any more from them but will wait this order out.we need to remember who treats us like this when the rush is over.

Better yet - try and cancel that order and watch them charge you 3% to get your own money back! Happened to me.

510dat
03-26-2009, 2:19 PM
That said, I do get bored with tire kickers if they're not interesting to talk to. If I show you 5 different guns you have no intention of buying, and you don't even have a cool story to tell me in the meantime, you can't fault me for losing interest in helping you. Especially when there is a customer waiting behind you that wants to buy something.

Wrong attitude.

I don't have a lot of money, so when I drop several hundred dollars on anything, I research it to death, and then I check out my options in person. It's just like buying a car. I may want a 9mm, but there's a lot of 9mms out there, and I want to handle a good selection to see what I like in my hand.

I will buy, but I'm not going to buy today. Not every store has everything I want to look at. Say I want to handle an XD, an HK, a Khar, etc etc. If your shop only has two out of the five guns I'm considering, I'm not going to buy on the spot; I'm going to three or four shops to see who has what, and what kind of service I get.

If you're bored helping me out, I'm not coming back to your shop.

Your attitude today affects my spending in your shop next week, understand?

jpknox
03-26-2009, 2:39 PM
Fowlers Gun Shop in orange county is the worst. I went there and stood in front of the gun i was going to purchase while all the employees ignored me. I was on my lunch break so i was dressed in a nice shirt and slacks. I was not helped so i bought my gun elsewhere. I have been in there since with the same experience.

leitung
03-26-2009, 2:40 PM

If I can ever get a damm job so I can do another AR build, I will come up and make an inspection.. :thumbsup::p

I take my money to gun stores with good customer service. Just like anything else I buy, such as auto service, and regular everyday items.

Then there are some stores like Fry's where it's a toss up, somedays I get really good service, and then there are somedays I get terrible service.

Greg-Dawg
03-26-2009, 2:46 PM
I went there and stood in front of the gun i was going to purchase while all the employees ignored me.

Next time get your voiced heard while you're there, it wouldn't hurt to hear customers demand service once in while. It's not being rude, it's being aggressive....be aggressive, be, be aggressive.

swerv512
03-26-2009, 3:02 PM
this thread lives on and on...
everyone's going to have a different opinion of each shop. just because you may drool on a particular gun in the showcase, wouldnt necessarily equate to having any interest in PURCHASING a particular firearm. I've had positive and negative experiences in shops. the negative ones were mostly because i didnt get the attention i felt i deserved. no one ran from behind the counter to massage my back while i racked the slide of countless firearms- only to walk out the store empty handed. the best way i've LEARNED to get attention is to buy stuff- not necessarily everytime (although the reason i go to shops is to buy stuff- its not my fault if they dont stock what i'm looking for). show them your appreciation for the SERVICE they provide you by stating your needs and allowing them to serve you. PATIENCE is key.
whew...

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
03-26-2009, 3:21 PM
I just purchased a sig from river city gun exchange in sacramento and I found they had great service, I am by no means a gun expert and the people behind the counter were very helpful, they have my business from now on:thumbsup:

luchador768
03-26-2009, 3:29 PM
Yesterday I purchased two guns in San Diego, one at Turners (Ruger mk. III, Hunter) in and out in less than 20 min., treated well the whole time. And a stainless 10/22 at American Shooting Center, 15 min. and great customer service there as well. I have had good luck at all gun stores so far. I worked the other side of the counter for a while so I know what gun store employees are up against some times. Back when California was a freeish state and EBR's and AK's were behind every gun counter, we had a jackoff that would come in once a week and do the whole "Plasma rifle" scene from Terminator. EVERY WEEK!!

Lancear15
03-26-2009, 3:35 PM

While I agree the low pay is a big factor it still doesn't explain the elitism these "low payed" sales people display. I disagree that there are very many "think-I'm-super-intelligent-know-it-alls from CGN" in most gun shops. from what I see most people there are pretty clueless, customers and workers alike.

I started DROS on a handgun this week. The guy that was helping me kept telling me in his I'm greater then you way, 100 different reasons why he couldn't do what I was asking of him. I told him "well then I need a can do person" he got the manager and my purchase was soon done to my satisfaction.

epic4444
03-26-2009, 3:35 PM
its sad the way some of them treat you and how you see others who are just beginning to learn about firearms get talk down to because of it...but its guys like JKsupplyco and are great guys to deal with !!!

Bill92869
03-26-2009, 3:39 PM
Some gun shops have knowledgeable and helpful staff. Many others have hourly employees that don't know much about guns and have an abundance of attitude. I don't tolerate these morons, I get in their face and let them know what I know and what they don't. Then I make it a point to let the management know. I figure this way the store has an opportunity to correct a problem. On the other hand I guess I could just ignore it and complain several months down the road when the store is closed and forgotten.

tpuig
03-26-2009, 4:00 PM
I've been in a half dozen stores (SF Bay area) in the last couple weeks looking for large rifle primers and powder. Kind of a needle in a haystack, but...

MV Gun Vault - Very busy, but always polite and helpful.
Tabors - Super friendly, very helpful. Had the primers!
Imbert & Smithers - very friendly, polite, helpful.
Irvington Arms - very friendly, polite, helpful. They were helping customers but got to me right away when done.
Reeds - friendly and polite, super busy and took care of me when done.
Kerley's - friendly and polite, very helpful. (had powders!)
Sportsman's Supply - Crazy busy, super friendly and helpful.
And every time I've been in City Arms, I've gotten the nothing but great service.
Maybe it's me, but if you're patient and ask a relatively intelligent question, we've got some great places around here.

swerv512
03-26-2009, 7:47 PM
I've been in a half dozen stores (SF Bay area) in the last couple weeks looking for large rifle primers and powder. Kind of a needle in a haystack, but...

MV Gun Vault - Very busy, but always polite and helpful.
Tabors - Super friendly, very helpful. Had NO primers!
Imbert & Smithers - very friendly, polite, helpful.
Irvington Arms - very friendly, polite, helpful. They were helping customers but got to me right away when done.
Reeds - friendly and polite, super busy and took care of me when done.
Kerley's - friendly and polite, very helpful. (had powders!)
Sportsman's Supply - Crazy busy, super friendly and helpful.
And every time I've been in City Arms, I've gotten the nothing but great service.
Maybe it's me, but if you're patient and ask a relatively intelligent question, we've got some great places around here.

fixed...
first rule about the fight club...

Ricimon
03-26-2009, 7:52 PM
We have a shop here in Santa Rosa: Helms House of Guns. The owner is a great guy- helpful and knowledgable. Yet the heavyset goon with the glasses (anyone that knows Helms knows who I mean) is an arrogant a* s. I know many people who will no longer shop there because of this one guy. I don't get it why he's still there. Knucklehead guy makes bad shopping experience

bsg
03-26-2009, 8:15 PM
in the 1980s i used to go to a gun store in the industry/la puente area called "e mark felix." his dad was a retired engineer and would be sitting on a stool no matter what time you came in. mark and herb were quite a pair. we became friends over the years. you could go into that shop with absolutely no money and not be made to feel uncomfortable. mark had something to say about anything and everything and it didn't matter if you agreed with him or not because being in a gun shop there were certain very important things you had in common. it was known for being a cop shop but the clientele was very diverse; colorful characters were always in stock. food runs were common and shooting the dumpster with the air cannon was done on a typical visit. mark was an intellectual, yet even stupid people felt comfortable there.... i don't know whatever happened to the old school gun shops; it seems something is missing now and in most "gun stores" it is all about macho wannabees at the counter with a "spend and go" attitude toward the public. well, it is a different world- but it is so pronounced at the places where we purchase our firearms today.

bsg
03-26-2009, 8:54 PM
actually i believe the business card said "discount guns." there was no store name on the door! it was actually in a little industrial complex.

MAC USMC
03-26-2009, 9:21 PM
Let them know when you feel they are out of line. No store can operate if customers quit coming throught the door.

Try California Police Equipment at El Cajon & Marlborough in San Diego. (619) 280-1199. Yeah, they sell to the general public. They will beat everyone else on ammo prices as well as firerms. They have 5.56mm in stock as well as .45 auto. Just got some today. Good folks work there.

randy
03-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Why is it nobody talks about the morons that walk into a gun shop? The guy that comes in with his friends and wants to show them how much he knows and how many guns he has.

He wants you to pull out your stock so he can feel it and pass it around and tell his friends he has that one. That's ok once maybe even twice but after that you are a TWM. Time Wasting Moron.

The "Professor" is the guy that starts to quiz the guy behind the counter on different guns or calibers, or guns in movies. I was in a gun store once when one of the "Professors" came in and started in on the counter guy about OLL's, and something else I don't recall. The counter guy took it for a few questions then gave the guy a quick responce to one of his stupid questions and shut him down.

Or the customer that takes up your time looking at guns he has no intention of buying from you but wants to handle them before he buys it on line.

Walk into a gun shop after a TWM or Professor and I can see why their attitude is a bit off.

Do customers know more than the GSE? Some do, some don't, some think they do. Which customer are you?

ErikTheRed
03-27-2009, 12:20 AM
The chubby fella at Ammo Outlet in Yuba City absolutely KILLS me........ the guy is too damn fat to get up off his lazy butt, so when you ask to look at something, he just zings himself around behind the counter on his wheeled office chair--- he ain't gettin' up for NOBODY. And because the guy is such a grouch, I like to stop in once in awhile and ask to look at several different boxes of ammo just for entertainment, watching his portly self zip back and forth across the floor as I say, "Ok, now can I have another look at those Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded in .270 Win?" :)

Its great fun.

flatovercrest
03-27-2009, 8:55 AM
funny thing about this thread..you can tell the difference between "customers" and "gun shop owners/employees" by reading their posts..

StudioDison
03-27-2009, 9:49 AM
We have three gun shops in Bakersfield that I have been to. My favorite is
2nd. Amendment Sports. They are top notch, I really enjoy stoping by there. theres another one that I have been to thats fairly friendly and the third I really dont care for. I got alot of attitude when I asked about Bullet Buttons. So thats my experiences.

kkun
03-27-2009, 10:52 AM
I've only been in a few shops down here in SD but I've had mixed experiences. Some employees have been very friendly and respectful while some others are the opposite (probably profiling me) at the same exact store. I can't gauge their knowledge/experience since I am not experienced myself. Though a pattern that I do see by all the gun salesman I've encountered thus far is that if they are busy with one customer, they completely ignore my existence. I understand that you are focused on your one customer at a time which is fine by me (I would want the same attention as well), but an acknowledgment that you will get to me shortly/as soon as you can would be nice. Just something that I remember when doing retail, as to not let potential customers just hanging. My next encounter will be with Gussler's to sign some papers, from what everyone on here has been saying, it should be an enjoyable experience.

swerv512
03-28-2009, 4:05 PM
Threads like these are pointless. If you're not happy with the service at a particular place- DONT GO BACK. plain and simple. Sharing a bad experience may or may not help someone else out because everyone will have their own experience. Are you of of those people who feel wronged, but don't say anything about it when it happens- only to go home and post about it?

Mason McDuffie
03-28-2009, 4:21 PM
Threads like these are pointless. If you're not happy with the service at a particular place- DONT GO BACK. plain and simple. Sharing a bad experience may or may not help someone else out because everyone will have their own experience. Are you of of those people who feel wronged, but don't say anything about it when it happens- only to go home and post about it?

I disagree. I think threads like this show new people to the sport that they are not alone. I remember first going into a store and being talked down to and thinking "okay, I guess I just have to accept it." Now that i have a little more experience going to different shops I know that there are shops out there that still believe the customer is top priority.

By sharing these horror stories and talking about them it sets a precedence that maybe, just maybe shop owners will get the hint and switch stuff up. I for one cant get enough of reading about these places. My only thing is I cant figure out how these guys who obviously poison a shop are still kept on staff. Amazing.

Well, I'm just glad that after all my searching for a good shop to patronage I found J&R's out in Livermore. Randy and his crew are awesome!

gotgunz
04-02-2009, 1:27 AM
The chubby fella at Ammo Outlet in Yuba City absolutely KILLS me........ the guy is too damn fat to get up off his lazy butt, so when you ask to look at something, he just zings himself around behind the counter on his wheeled office chair--- he ain't gettin' up for NOBODY. And because the guy is such a grouch, I like to stop in once in awhile and ask to look at several different boxes of ammo just for entertainment, watching his portly self zip back and forth across the floor as I say, "Ok, now can I have another look at those Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded in .270 Win?" :)

Its great fun.

Give him a break; he is the retired sheriff of Sutter County... if he doesn't feel like getting off his *** I am certain his long tenure in service to the citizens of the county (not to mention all the ccw's he issued and dealing with the Juan Carona trials) is enough reason to become somewhat 'lazy' as he ages.

Soldier415
04-02-2009, 2:08 AM
I'll add my 2 cents in here.

To answer your question...I don't know what the deal is. It boggles my mind.

As most of you know, I work for Bullseye (even though ive been gone on deployment since Oct '08), I brought Bullseye on to calguns and have dealt personally with a large number of you.

I think the single biggest problem with shops is a lack of strong and inspiring leadership at the owner/manager level.

Let's look at the definition of leadership: The process of influencing others by providing purpose, direction and motivation with the objective of accomplishing the mission and bettering the organization

what any business or organization needs in order to excel in their field is leadership that has a vision of what they want to accomplish, and what the end state will look like. That leader must also be able to articulate his vision to his subordinates, inspire them and have them "buy in" to the vision and see their individual part in it. He must then give clear tasks, conditions in which they will be completed and the standard to which they will be performed.

He then has to lead by example.

If a manager or head of the shop does not love guns, love what he is doing and love the people he is interacting with...his staff will not either and will consciously or unconsciously emulate him.

I try to lead by example. It is not hard, because when I am at bullseye I love what I am doing. I look forward to opening up the shop in the morning and look forward to the people I will be seeing. New shooters, old shooters, experts, beginners, idiots, geniuses, preppy kids, thugs. Each and every one of them has a different dynamic, and I can teach something or learn something from each and every one of them.

I routinely pull 5,6,7, 8 guns out of the case and work with people for as long as needed to find the weapon they are looking for. Doesn't bother me if they don't end up buying it that day, they were able to get on the right track to getting the gun thats right for them not the gun that is right for the salesman. And they usually come back because they are treated like they MATTER.

I have had people pull me aside after watching me drop what I was doing to spend 30 minutes happily explaining in detail the differences between pistols (semi-auto and revolver) and the different pistol calibers after someone renting a gun to shoot for their first time said, "This is a really stupid question...but"...and tell me they appreciated someone taking the time to help new shooters instead of writing them off as stupid.

I know a fair amount about firearms and their application, but I have learned so damned much more from talking to customers and asking THEM questions when they know something about a weapon they are looking at that I don't.

In addition to strng leadership beng a problem, finding good staff is also tough too.

The people I want working for me are those that love guns, love talking about guns, love talking to people, pay attention to detail, and genuinely WANT to be the best at what they do.

When Bill asked me to help him out at Bullseye part time, I accepted without hesitation because after being a customer for 6 years...I felt at home at the place and saw that the atmosphere there was one that met with my visions of how to do business.

I will be the first to admit, we are FAR from perfect...we **** up from time to time. When i mess up, i'll be the first to admit I am wrong and work to do everything I can to make the situation right.

Sometimes, the situation cannot be made right...all I can do then is give the other party a sincere apology, and my word as a man that I willdo what is necessary to fix the problem so it does not happen to someone else.

I think I jumped around a bit in what I was trying to say, but I think I made my point.

phantomson9
04-02-2009, 7:57 AM
Hey guys, everyone is giving their stories and talking about the experience in some shops so i thought i would throw mine in the mix. I havent even bought a handgun yet, def. going to. Just getting my research in first. Anyway, i went to a shop here in Burbank, i wont say which one but its the one that is over priced. Anyway i have been in there 3 times in the last 2 weeks to look show my Fiance what im looking at what i want to shoot what have you. She loves to shoot as well. In the 3 times i have been in there, i have got exactly 1 head nod from an employee, thats it. No words nothing. Now i understand they are busy they are trying to sell as much as they can, but a little "hey hows it going" or "you guys need help" never hurt any body, In fact i really wanted to see the Sig 226R they had in the case, but i guess not. Anyway if you want to know which shop im talking pm me and ill tell you but i dont want to out them here. Maybe not everyone has had such bad experiences there. Granted im young looking have a beard and i rarely ever have my baseball hat off, but that doesnt mean im not going to buy. Just a little piece from me thats all. Thanks guys

By the way just wanted to say how awesome you guys are, you really have helped in making a smart and meaningful decision in my first handgun perchase.

cineski
04-02-2009, 8:06 AM
You, sir, have just found the catalyst for most problems in the world today.

I think the single biggest problem with shops is a lack of strong and inspiring leadership at the owner/manager level.

Soldier415
04-02-2009, 8:15 AM
You, sir, have just found the catalyst for most problems in the world today.
True. I get frustrated often seeing the lack of leadership with "testicular fortitude" in all areas.

I see it a lot here in afghanistan too, drives me bat**** crazy.

Calling people on it has got me in a bit of trouble from time to time...but oh well.

HK Dave
04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
It's funny... it depends on the gun store.. I agree that i think gun stores profile you...

I've never had attitude at a Turners but in other places like for example... Ammo Bros...

If you don't speak their language and use "brother" in half your sentences, it's like you don't belong there.

If you're confused as to the difference between 308 and 7.62, it's like they think you're mentally retarded.

Go to places where people are nice to you.

Rich at Turners norwalk is an incredibly nice person that will go out of his way to help you... however... Turners is low on firearms.

popndrop
04-02-2009, 8:29 PM
I'm sure someone has already said this - but I really can't stand the misinformation that gunshop guys spew out of their pieholes as though they were walking encyclopedias. I had a call just the other day to a shop where the guy who answered proceeded to tell me that I as an individual couldn't send out a firearm to another FFL without using an FFL - false. Then he said it was perfectly fine for me to send a rifle to another individual without the use of an FFL...also untrue.
It's an unfortunate thing since most guys probably don't know the real truth - they'll take the "Expert" advise from the schmuck behind the counter. I happen to have heard enough "Expert" advise that I know to check everything myself.
Another thing that pisses me off is who guys in the shop always like to crap on the stuff they don't have in stock...and how they all seem to push the crap guns with higher margins that they do have in stock (read XD's).

One last thing - attitude. As though since they work around the guns, then they must own all of them, therefore they have more guns, and also more experience...I probably own more guns than most gun shops have in inventory - if not in number at least in value...and I'd guess that a lot of guys on here are in the same situation.

J-cat
04-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Then he said it was perfectly fine for me to send a rifle to another individual without the use of an FFL...also untrue.

Actually, you are permitted to lend a firearm to another for sporting purposes.

cousinkix1953
04-03-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm in the Los Angeles Area. I am fortunate to have 3 oustanding shops within a 40 minute drive. Gunkings Armory in Glendale(Closest) Fort Courage Armory in Simi Valley and Bain and Davis in San Gabriel(Farthest). But I also have to put up with some shops that are so bad, attitude wise or policy wise, that I won't shop there, at all. 1.Martin B.Retting. Expensive, snobbish
attitude. 2. Turners in Reseda. terrible attitude, take forever to answer the telephone.(if they do)3. Big 5 Make their own rules on waiting period, poor ammo selection.4. Gun World in Burbank. OVERPRICED, arrogant and just plain rude. Went in there, just after Christmas to do a PPT. Was told to wait until all other customers were done. If someone came in AFTER me, that I would be behind THEM! Told the counter man where He colud go and left!
Does BIG 5 make up their own waiting period rules for C&Rs too? Nothing illegal about selling 50+ year old military surplus rifles out the door. No law against selling your WW2 souvenir to another bard member face-to-face either.

Maybe these BIG 5 idiots shouldn't even be allowed to sell firearms. They remind of EBAY trying to ban stuff not prohibited by any laws either...

CSACANNONEER
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Does BIG 5 make up their own waiting period rules for C&Rs too? Nothing illegal about selling 50+ year old military surplus rifles out the door. No law against selling your WW2 souvenir to another bard member face-to-face either.

Maybe these BIG 5 idiots shouldn't even be allowed to sell firearms. They remind of EBAY trying to ban stuff not prohibited by any laws either...

Here you are wrong! Big5 has an FFL so, they are REQUIRED BY LAW to DROS all post 1898 firearms and make you wait the ten days. This holds true with any sale by any FFL in Ca. The only exceptions would be sales to LEOs with a letter from thier dept. or, if the firearm is a C&R long gun and the buyer has a valid C&R FFL (or better) AND a COE. But, since I used to work in a gunshop, please don't listen to me. Actually, I was the guy behind the counter who would give advise and state that any advise from anyone who worked in a gun shop or any LEO should be taken with a grain of salt. It's always up to the individual to learn and understand the laws!

As far as ebay goes, it's their company and their policies. As much as I don't like them, I'm happy that I still live in a country where a bussiness owner has the FREEDOM to choose how they want to run their bussiness. If you don't like how a bussiness is run, you still have the FREEDOM to choose not to do bussiness with them!

ke6guj
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Here you are wrong! Big5 has an FFL so, they are REQUIRED BY LAW to DROS all post 1898 firearms and make you wait the ten days. This holds true with any sale by any FFL in Ca. The only exceptions would be sales to LEOs with a letter from thier dept. or, if the firearm is a C&R long gun and the buyer has a valid C&R FFL (or better) AND a COE. +1 on that.

Ron Powell
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Sir,
I agree with what you are saying.
Now, if you would give us a try, I think you will find we treat anyone with great respect...in other words.. treat others as you would like to be treated.
Let me explain how we work
Buy joining our membership for $99 anyone can buy at cost! We sell only new merchandise with full manufactures warranty.
If you need a price on any item, please let me know.
Please give us a try. See if you are not treated like you should be treated.
Thanks,

Ron Powell, CEO
REAL GOLD SPORTS,INC
318 343-7194
www.realgoldsports.com

MontClaire
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
most ffl's are not businessman, no business education if any. they are hobbyists. so treat one just like they treat you. dont commit to purchase and stare at gun for an hour and ask every possible little detail untill he says: are you gonna buy? then say, yeah sure, just not from your store you rude bastard. works everytime.

WFAInc
04-03-2009, 2:57 PM
To the op. Our number one priority is customer service. We always approach our customers and ask if they have any questions. I would hate to think to lose a customer over bad customer service.