PDA

View Full Version : Question about air rifles

SonicDonkey
02-20-2009, 3:05 PM
Does anyone know if (or where I can go to find out) shooting an air rifle in the back yard of a residence is legal? Of course all saftey precautions would be in place such as a target trap for the pellets to prevent strays from leaving my yard. This is a typical residental location in Sacramento County.

Thanks in advance

Saigon1965
02-20-2009, 3:09 PM
It is illegal in most cities - Have to go and find the PC for it -

pullnshoot25
02-20-2009, 3:12 PM
According to the cop I talked with, it is an "its ok until someone complains" thing. It depends a great deal on where you are living at the moment though.

Get a break barrel gun and you'll be fine.

SonicDonkey
02-20-2009, 3:29 PM
I have shot one of my older break barrel guns in the yard before, using all precautions and no one complained but I do have good neighbors. But today I just bought another one, Crossman Storm XT I figured I would ask a bit before I got too excited and sighted it in this weekend.

Thanks
Will use caution and look a bit for the local PC

sd_shooter
02-20-2009, 4:11 PM
Get a break barrel gun and you'll be fine.

How will this help?

Most break barrel air guns I've seen are also high power (+1000 fps) which would mean they are louder. The little pump guns are very quiet.

adamsreeftank
02-20-2009, 5:05 PM
Call the local PD or Sheriff.

Most cities have local ordinaces against it, and you can get in some trouble if you get caught. Rural cities generally will allow it.

Spearo
02-20-2009, 5:18 PM
If you are caught, it could land you a felony I believe.
However, like someone said, if your neighbors don't complain... it is kinda hard to get caught.

postal16
02-20-2009, 5:54 PM
i shoot in my garage and basement

motorhead
02-21-2009, 9:08 AM
check you muni codes. disregard anything specifying "firearms". cops are your least accurate source and should be asked only if information is not available elsewhere.

pullnshoot25
02-21-2009, 9:54 AM
How will this help?

Most break barrel air guns I've seen are also high power (+1000 fps) which would mean they are louder. The little pump guns are very quiet.

My Sheridan C9 is a loud little sucker. Shooting CB longs out of a .22 is quieter than my C9. IMHO, break barrels are quieter than my C9.

DDT
02-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Just get a suppressor for it.

otteray
02-21-2009, 2:40 PM
.32 Long Colt with a .310 top lubed lead ball and a couple of grains of Bullseye out of lever action rifle is far quieter than an air gun.
Actually works with a .45-70 caliber, too.:thumbsup: Still, very deadly.
But ya can't do that in most cities either.
Years ago, I rigged up an old double barrel SxS spring loaded pop gun to fire a 40 gr cast lead ball.
No noise except for the spring and bullet impact.
Accurate and bounces off a fence at 25 feet.
Probably illegal to do now, as well.
Shoot your air guns inside, with a good pellet catching box trap.
http://www.babymd.net/aa_improved_silent_pellet_trap.htm

ChaparralCommando
02-21-2009, 2:53 PM
You'll need to check for local projectile ordinances. Many cities have them, but if you don't live in the city proper you are probably OK.

Can'thavenuthingood
02-21-2009, 3:16 PM
Way back there in time, 1950's we had those pop guns where we'd cock it using the lever like on a Red Ryder. Then stab the barrel into the dirt and get a nice slug of Minnesota loam and shoot each other with it.

Little brother was always walking around with ears full of dirt or a smudge on his forehead. He's still not faster than a speeding dirt clod.:D

Growing up out there in the country before gameboys and Howdy Dowdy.

Vick

SonicDonkey
02-22-2009, 9:02 PM
Well, I did some online checking with the local City and PD, all I could find was a reference to bow's and cross bows, nothing about air rifles. Since the last thing I would want to do felony or misdamenor for that matter what do you think the next step would be? I could go to the PD station and ask around but doubt unless I get to speek to the Chief I will get a positive answer or one at all. Maybe City Hall and ask for local civil code info???

Thanks

Can'thavenuthingood
02-22-2009, 9:04 PM
Call the DA's office, he'd prosecute if its valid charge.

Vick