PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with bump-fire?

Meplat
02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok, I know (or think I know) that anything that has a component that pulls the trigger for you is a no-no. But what about a device that does not attach to the gun but aids the shooter in being able to pull the trigger, with his own finger, repeatedly and quickly?:43:

Lateralus
02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Like?

Last time I checked it went down like this:

Rubber band: Federal time-out

Bump stick: waste of ammo.

dreyna14
02-20-2009, 12:11 PM
What's the deal? It's fun, that's what.

bohoki
02-20-2009, 1:17 PM
the rubberband technique is just to aid in trigger resetting

it is a waste of ammo

but i unloaded cases of $100 wolf ak ammo
now it is just economically unfeasable for me anymore

there is a threshold where i wont bump i guess it is 25 cents a round

and i just cant quite bump my 10/22
25e2YTJkCRg

p7m8jg
02-20-2009, 1:39 PM
I took a rifle class where the instructor had us "bump-fire" the trigger on our semi-auto's just for fun. I really couldn't tell you if I did it right or not.

Yes, it was a waste of ammo.

Yes it was hecka fun. :thumbsup:

fairfaxjim
02-20-2009, 1:50 PM
Fun and frugality are seldom members of the same sentence.

I have noticed fewer posts on bump firing since the price of ammo headed for the sky. :)

JimmyD
02-20-2009, 2:47 PM
Bump firing my ruger PC4 - best way to burn 3 dollars in a second!!!
dQo26BuxTnE

God Bless The Mauser
02-20-2009, 6:14 PM
I have tried it a few times and it was fun. Lately I have been trying to conserve my ammo and make my shots count so I don't do it anymore.

Saigon1965
02-20-2009, 6:18 PM
Indeed -

Fun and frugality are seldom members of the same sentence.

I have noticed fewer posts on bump firing since the price of ammo headed for the sky. :)

Lateralus
02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Ok, I know (or think I know) that anything that has a component that pulls the trigger for you is a no-no. But what about a device that does not attach to the gun but aids the shooter in being able to pull the trigger, with his own finger, repeatedly and quickly?:43:

Im still waiting for what the OP was thinking about. He clearly isnt talking about plain ol' finger in the belt loop bumping. I want to know what device he is talking about. Rubber band? No no. I dont want to see anyone go to jail because of a syntax issue.

motorhead
02-21-2009, 8:52 AM
fun
wastes ammo
area fire at best, usually only directional.

Meplat
02-21-2009, 9:40 PM
The OP doesn't really know what he is thinking. I "discovered" bump fire when I was 16 and broke the finger on the trigger rule when I let an M-1 carbiean down at my side and relaxed my grip. Ten rounds later I was thanking god that I still had all my toes!! Full auto fire is only useful in certain very narrow tactical scenarios. But it can be a lot of fun to play with, especially in .22 Rimfire.

Bump-fire is less accurate and more wasteful than true full auto fire (witch is bad enough). I guess that I'm just wondering if a method can be found that makes it more practical, accurate and safe, and still be lawful.:confused:

Im still waiting for what the OP was thinking about. He clearly isnt talking about plain ol' finger in the belt loop bumping. I want to know what device he is talking about. Rubber band? No no. I dont want to see anyone go to jail because of a syntax issue.

AlexBreya
02-21-2009, 9:47 PM
Anyone who can do it is very talented in my eyes. tried with AR15, couldn't have it generate enough recoil to reset the trigger.

ETD1010
02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
It's extremely wasteful of ammo....... but that doesn't mean it's not fun to do once and a while :D

andrewj
02-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I noticed when I owned Fab 10's that I would essentially never bump fire becuase it was such a pain in the *** to reload those bastards. But once I got a different lower with a bullet button config, it changed things slightly. Now I always like to finish off the day by bump firing through a mag. End with a bang.

Seesm
02-22-2009, 1:35 AM
i can't afford to do it.... :(

maxicon
02-22-2009, 9:57 AM
I used to bump-fire my SKS back in the day when ammo was dirt cheap. It's a heckuva lot of fun, and guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

The barrel gets hot really fast, so I wouldn't do too many clips in a row, as I didn't want to wear the barrel too fast.

ohsmily
02-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Like?

Last time I checked it went down like this:

Rubber band: Federal time-out. No, it isnt. It is the legal equivalent of a hellfire or other trigger actuator. Illegal in CA though.

Bump stick: waste of ammo.

see above.

The rubber band trick does not create a machine gun.

This DOES make an illegal machine gun. http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/3777/stringtrick1ev.jpg

vwynn
02-22-2009, 10:17 AM
LETS BAN RUBBER BANDS!

Spyder
02-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Hell, rubber band has the word BAN right in it! MUST be illegal! :D