PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapon de-registration timeline?

psssniper
02-20-2009, 9:20 AM
Has any CalGunner de-reg'd an AW?

In your letter re: de-reg, how did you word your request? (PM me if you want)

How long did it take to get confirmation from our friends in Sacramento?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

RP1911
02-20-2009, 9:27 AM
De-register as in no longer in possession or?

Call DOJ and get the address you need to mail your request letter from the nice lady that will answer the phone. You will need to write a letter indicating make, model and serial number. You will also need a copy of your driver's license (notarized) to mail with the letter.

Took about 10 days for confirmation.

TRICKSTER
02-20-2009, 9:36 AM
Why would you want to "de-reg" your assault weapon. Per DOJ you can't re-register it if at some later time you change your mind. "Once the registration is canceled, you can never replace the characteristic(s) that make it an assault weapon, or you will be in possession of an illegal weapon." Unless you want to sell it in state or pass it on to a relative, I don't see any benefit in de-registering it.

DDT
02-20-2009, 10:18 AM
It would be good to know the specifics of the case.

Not that it changes how you go about de-reging but some here might be able to help you reach whatever results you are looking to achieve without losing your rights as an AW owner.

LOW2000
02-20-2009, 5:17 PM
Why would you want to "de-reg" your assault weapon. Per DOJ you can't re-register it if at some later time you change your mind. "Once the registration is canceled, you can never replace the characteristic(s) that make it an assault weapon, or you will be in possession of an illegal weapon." Unless you want to sell it in state or pass it on to a relative, I don't see any benefit in de-registering it.

So if you kept it in the same configuration as it was at the time of de-reg, then wouldn't it stay legal based on that definition?

psssniper
02-20-2009, 6:20 PM
De-register as in no longer in possession
De-reg as in, "lets sell the darn things" :)

Why would you want to "de-reg" your assault weapon.
Because in this particular case, money is needed more than reg'd AW's.

Per DOJ you can't re-register it if at some later time you change your
mind.
This ain't my first BBQ son

Unless you want to sell it in state
Bingo

It would be good to know the specifics of the case
Friend is broke, needs money....bad. I am helping de-feature and sell as he is an internet retard

So if you kept it in the same configuration as it was at the time of de-reg, then wouldn't it stay legal based on that definition?
No, de-reg on these particular guns is based on "features" not "names" Once you change those features and de-reg the gun, per the law, that's it, you can never go back. Basically the Calif laws suck as far owning, shooting and transporting reg'd AW's so who cares, de-reg and sell the bastards.

Fjold
02-20-2009, 6:49 PM
He would have to sell it to an LEO or out of state and either way he won't get a premium for it because they are common in both areas. He could probably sell off the upper and the accessories here in State and make as much money.

Gregchico
02-20-2009, 7:22 PM
I tried to de-reg my AB10. I sent the letter, no response for a month. Got a phone call request for pictures of what I did to be emailed to the Special Agent. A month later they wanted to inspect the pistol in person to "make sure" I did what I said I did in writing and in pictures.

Long story short, I got tired of dealing with DOJ and now have my paperweight back together again in AW status.

Maybe if I get hard up for funds I will try again, but this time was not a fast or easy transaction.

Seesm
02-21-2009, 1:08 AM
Sell all the parts except the lowers... They are valuable to the person who owns them and are WORTHLESS to anyone else in Ca. except a Leo right?

DDT
02-21-2009, 8:02 AM
Specifically what weapon are we talking about here?

If the weapon is listed specifically as an Assault Weapon in California code there is NO LEGAL CONFIGURATION for the weapon in California. If he has a Colt AR-15 or any other "listed" weapon he will have to disassemble to legally sell in CA.

As others have said, your friend can likely get as much or more for the weapon as parts without a lower in California than he will get for the complete gun in a free state. Keep the registered lower and then, when times turn around for him he will be able to re-build the weapon as a registered assault weapon with all the evil features he likes.

MP301
02-21-2009, 9:52 AM
Specifically what weapon are we talking about here?

If the weapon is listed specifically as an Assault Weapon in California code there is NO LEGAL CONFIGURATION for the weapon in California. If he has a Colt AR-15 or any other "listed" weapon he will have to disassemble to legally sell in CA.

As others have said, your friend can likely get as much or more for the weapon as parts without a lower in California than he will get for the complete gun in a free state. Keep the registered lower and then, when times turn around for him he will be able to re-build the weapon as a registered assault weapon with all the evil features he likes.

I agree! keep the part with the SN # (lower) and sell the rest. He wont make any more selling the whole gun in another state and cant sell it in CA....