PDA

View Full Version : Min length for a RAW

goober
02-19-2009, 7:19 PM
According to the CA AW ID Flow Chart, if a rifle is a registered AW, then the 30" min total length with folding stock folded (if present) is not an issue; if its a RAW, it's OK.
Is this the case, or am I misreading it?
Or, is a length < 30" not important in determining AW legal status in this case, but violates another code that is not AW-specific but renders the rifle illegal?

LOW2000
02-19-2009, 7:21 PM
Falls under SBR laws. Registered AW does not trump NFA.

ke6guj
02-19-2009, 7:25 PM
26" OAL in its shortest fireable configuration is the limit for any rifle or shotgun, except for a semi-auto centerfire rifle that is not an RAW.

goober
02-19-2009, 7:25 PM
Falls under SBR laws. Registered AW does not trump NFA.
But I thought NFA is federal and they measure w/ stock extended?
Or is it CA SBR law that trumps RAW in this case?

goober
02-19-2009, 7:27 PM
26" OAL in its shortest fireable configuration is the limit for any rifle or shotgun, except for a semi-auto centerfire rifle that is not an RAW.
I thought it was 26" for non-centerfire and 30" for centerfire? Sorry guys, guess I'm mixed up.
And I HAVE read and searched.... just having a senior moment maybe....

Perhaps if I understand you right the min length for a semi-auto centerfire RAW is 26"?
And for a semi-auto centerfire non-RAW 30"?

DedEye
02-19-2009, 7:28 PM
But I thought NFA is federal and they measure w/ stock extended?
Or is it CA SBR law that trumps RAW in this case?

In this case, both.

California measures with stock folded, so the minimum overall length for a registered AW with a folding or telescoping stock must be 26" with the stock folded.

Federal law has the 26" length requirement with the stock extended.

Since compliance with California law matters in California, you'll be complying with both length requirements if you meet the California requirement.

ke6guj
02-19-2009, 7:28 PM
Federal law measures with stock extended. As long as it is 26" fully extended, you're safe federally.

CA law measures with stock folded/collapsed. If it is still fireable and under 26", then CA considers it an SBR, per CA law. Even though it would not be an SBR under federal NFA law.

ke6guj
02-19-2009, 7:30 PM
I thought it was 26" for non-centerfire and 30" for centerfire? Sorry guys, guess I'm mixed up.
And I HAVE read and searched.... just having a senior moment maybe....

CA law is that all rifles and shotguns have to be 26" OAL. Then, the AW regs add in the 30" requirement for semi-auto centerfire rifles that aren't RAW. Just those have to be 30", nothing else.

goober
02-19-2009, 7:34 PM
In this case, both.

California measures with stock folded, so the minimum overall length for a registered AW with a folding or telescoping stock must be 26" with the stock folded.

That's what I was hoping to hear....Thanks! :D
Asking b/c i have a RAW MAK90 that I was considering putting an underfolder on, and doing so will give me an OAL of 27" folded...
And yes, I'm good on 922r for changing from a "sporting" to a "non-sporting" style, fed-wise...
So, guess I'm clear to install it if I want to.
Thanks again guys.

goober
02-19-2009, 7:35 PM
CA law is that all rifles and shotguns have to be 26" OAL. Then, the AW regs add in the 30" requirement for semi-auto centerfire rifles that aren't RAW. Just those have to be 30", nothing else.
Now I get it. Sheez.