PDA

View Full Version : What is the best place to buy high end 1911?

Eastbayguy
02-19-2009, 9:30 AM
Les Bauer, Wilson Combat, etc, locally (Bay Area) or online
As my manager is about to shell 2-3K on his home defense gun . I did my part searching through calguns.net, but did not find it.

Black Majik
02-19-2009, 9:32 AM
Les Baer specific, these two are the most recommended. I'm partial to Sporting Arms, but John at Proload has his followers too.

www.sportingarms.com

www.proload.com

Tyrone
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Some people have pros and cons about various gun shops and this neither a endorsement nor a disapproval but just to let you know what I have seen. I have no problem with either shop and have purchased from each.

Canyon Sports in Martinez has Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and Les Baer. I believe they are CQB, Special Forces & Cobra Carry, and Premier II &TRS respectively. They also have Springfield Armory and 1 or 2 Kimbers.

Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito has Ed Brown Special Forces, Nighthawk Talon, and a Les Baer.

Bullseye in San Rafael has a couple of Wilson Combats and I believe an Ed Brown. They also have S&W perf center, Dan Koenig, Kimbers, and others.

gbp
02-19-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.sviguns.com/

go to the gun builder option or better yet call and they will build him what he wants

Black Majik
02-19-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.sviguns.com/

go to the gun builder option or better yet call and they will build him what he wants

Not in California...

The handgun must be on the approved handgun list.

greybeard
02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
www.jrguns.com (http://www.jrguns.com) in Livermore carrys Nighthawk custom

sorensen440
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah they usually have a few in stock as well

SacramentoTDI
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM

+1 They have 4 or 5 Wilson Combat right now.

Riodog
02-19-2009, 3:00 PM
Not in California...

Barsto Barrels builds on the SVI frame and they are Calif. approved.
Give Irv a call and he'll fix you up. About $2500 if I remember correctly.

www.barsto.com
Bar-sto Precision Machine...(760) 367-2747
Rio

E. Fudd
02-19-2009, 3:46 PM
Les Bauer, Wilson Combat, etc, locally (Bay Area) or online
As my manager is about to shell 2-3K on his home defense gun . I did my part searching through calguns.net, but did not find it.

Does Les have any relation to Jack Bauer? :) Just messing with ya...

Also check with Irvington Arms. Reed's Indoor Range might also have some...

If your manager is not an experience shooter, he might be better off getting something like a Glock, XD, or M&P and spend the difference in training and ammo.

Also there is always the chance in a HD gun that it might be confiscated post SD shooting. Maybe he'd get it back, maybe not. Another reason for looking at quality standard service pistols that could be considered expendable in such a scenario.

Of course, if he's loaded, then it's not such as issue... :D

Eastbayguy
02-19-2009, 3:51 PM
We are going to visit City arms next week. I'm trying to convince him
to buy 2 handguns, HK USP 45 & Kimber Desert warrior. Will see.

gbp
02-19-2009, 3:57 PM
Not in California...

They have a california model. In fact the gun in my icon is directly from sv.
You can read about it here http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
and just look up Strayer Voigt

come on now

Black Majik
02-19-2009, 4:02 PM
They have a california model. In fact the gun in my icon is directly from sv.

I was referring to having a gun built from SVI. Unfortunately, the only 2 we can buy are the ones on the list. A gun custom ordered from SVI wouldn't qualify since it's not CA approved.

E. Fudd
02-19-2009, 4:05 PM

A gun a month is all we ask.... :thumbsup:

gbp
02-19-2009, 4:06 PM
not true
the gun in my icon is a complete double stack sv
basically you order what you want they ship a cal model to you , you ship it back for modification all perfictly legal

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=107225

Black Majik
02-19-2009, 4:15 PM
not true
the gun in my icon is a complete double stack sv
basically you order what you want they ship a cal model to you , you ship it back for modification all perfictly legal

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=107225

I think we both misunderstood each other. With any 1911, you can always send it back to the manufacturer to get it later modified to your standards. However, having it custom ordered initially to your specifications from the manufacturer cannot be DROSed since it's not on the CA approved list.

Nice gun btw. :thumbsup:

NineteenElev3n
02-19-2009, 4:23 PM
Get a Nighthawk Custom 1911. You can get one at The Last Gun Shop in Napa.

One Shot, One Dropped
02-19-2009, 9:35 PM

I love my warrior, but the DESERT warrior isn't CA approved.

ccriderss
02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Bullseye In San Rafael has Wilson Combats in stock all the time and he seems to get more in all the time. seems like he has everything from the CQB on up.

sorensen440
02-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Bullseye In San Rafael has Wilson Combats in stock all the time and he seems to get more in all the time. seems like he has everything from the CQB on up.
Yeah if you dont mind the price bullseye does seem to have a lot of stock

ccriderss
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
true, true... they are a bit pricey.... if u haggle a bit, u can get them marked down a bit.

Tunis
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I got my LB PII from John @ Proload. He is one of, if not, largest LB distributor in the US. I got mine for less than $1300, but that was a few years back when he used to run monthly specials.

Max-the-Silent
02-20-2009, 6:18 AM
Does Les have any relation to Jack Bauer? :) Just messing with ya...

Also check with Irvington Arms. Reed's Indoor Range might also have some...

If your manager is not an experience shooter, he might be better off getting something like a Glock, XD, or M&P and spend the difference in training and ammo.

Also there is always the chance in a HD gun that it might be confiscated post SD shooting. Maybe he'd get it back, maybe not. Another reason for looking at quality standard service pistols that could be considered expendable in such a scenario.

Of course, if he's loaded, then it's not such as issue... :D

It's a certainty if it's a fatal.

I own all sorts of high-end 1911's and other top quality custom (Novak BHP, ASP etc) pistols.

My HD pistol is a Glock 21.

Word to the wise.

JTROKS
02-20-2009, 7:35 AM
Old West Gun Room in Cerritos has a few Ed Browns.

Shenaniguns
02-20-2009, 8:01 AM
Les Baer specific, these two are the most recommended. I'm partial to Sporting Arms, but John at Proload has his followers too.

www.sportingarms.com

www.proload.com

+1 :thumbsup:

kamagong
02-20-2009, 8:15 AM
The local place with the probably the best selection is Canyon Sports. They regularly have Baer, Wilson, and Brown guns in there. I even saw a Guncrafter Industries Model 2 in the case once.

They're not the best place to buy a high end 1911 though, I don't think any local place is a good option. If your boss already knows what he wants tell him to look online. He'll save hundreds of dollars that way.

bear
02-20-2009, 9:42 AM
Canyon Sports seems high priced, and somehow they just irk me every time I go there, some kind of mild insult or something. I almost always walk out upset with them, which is really sad, they are my closest dealer.
They guys up in Vallejo, Triple A or something like that, can get anything you want, but CityArms in Pacifica is where I'd suggest to get a high-end 1911. But I've only gotten a low-end one from them, myself. When I can afford the Executive Elite, that's where I will go.