PDA

View Full Version : beretta 92fs owners,best bullet?

luisdeleon
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
was wondering what was th best round to for home defense and for target shooting? to be used in this gun, i picked up some winchester 115gr white box for target, but i don't know any better, my first gun.

thanks

luis

Dr Rockso
02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
was wondering what was th best round to for home defense and for target shooting? to be used in this gun, i picked up some winchester 115gr white box for target, but i don't know any better, my first gun.

thanks

luis

WWB is good for target shooting. There's plenty of others, as well. I buy whatever is cheap and has a brass case. Avoid the steel cased garbage like Wolf, aluminum case (Blazer) is okay, but I avoid that as well. For a self defense round get a box or two of JHP from one of the big name manufacturers. Shoot some of it to make sure it feeds reliably (it almost certainly will), then you're good to go.

Clodbuster
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Winchester 124gr NATO

sszeto
02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
HD - I loaded first round (in chamber) using Winchester Ranger +p+, and the mag is loaded with Federal HydraShok.
Plinking - Whatever cheap stuff you can find. Like Miwall reload, or WWB.

The Bacon Eater
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
I like ranger 147gr sxt, 147gr talon, gold dot 124+, and for range i like blazer brass or win. white box.

Clodbuster
02-19-2009, 12:41 AM
I will never understand the concept of why people shoot cheap ammo at the range, learning the point of impact of the cheap ammo at various distances, getting use to the recoil of the cheap ammo, and then taking the gun home and loading it with the good "ammo" as if it shot the same as the cheap ammo...for self defense no less.

Clod

cgseanp1
02-19-2009, 6:20 AM
I will never understand the concept of why people shoot cheap ammo at the range, learning the point of impact of the cheap ammo at various distances, getting use to the recoil of the cheap ammo, and then taking the gun home and loading it with the good "ammo" as if it shot the same as the cheap ammo...for self defense no less.

Clod

I will never understand why people like you don't understand why some people shoot "cheap" ammo at the range.. not everybody has a ton of money to burn.

geeknow
02-19-2009, 6:51 AM
like others have said, I too use 115gr fmj for plinking and practice. for HD, I prefer 147gr winchester sxt. I have shot a couple of boxes of the pricey stuff to see how it performed and was very pleased with the groups. However, at the price, it does seem like a waste to shoot high dollar ammo at low value targets, but it was nice to run a bit through.

gwl
02-19-2009, 6:52 AM
In my Beretta 92FS . . . For the range I use PMC 124gr, Magtech 115gr, Federal AE 115gr, Sellier & Bellot 115gr and Blazer (Aluminum and Brass) 115gr. Once in a while I'll fire a few boxes of Speer Lawman.

For HD, I have a ton of Hornady TAP 124gr.

Never had a problem with any of the aforementioned ammo.

My suggestion is try a small quantity first before buying in bulk. What worked in my Beretta didn't work so well in my friend's Beretta.

97F1504RAD
02-19-2009, 6:57 AM
I will never understand why people like you don't understand why some people shoot "cheap" ammo at the range.. not everybody has a ton of money to burn.

I agree I have been shooting WOLF for years out of all my guns including my Beretta and never had any issues what so ever. For plinking ammo it is the way to go.

Jonathan Doe
02-19-2009, 7:24 AM
I just shoot Winchester 147gr SXT for the range and home defense. They are pretty accurate ,too.

luisdeleon
02-19-2009, 7:45 AM
thanks guys for all your info.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Golden Sabers.

Steve G
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Cor-Bon 115gr JHP

realmswalker
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Clod

I can't imagine learning the point of impact at various distances will have any bearing on your home defense shooting. I would say most home defense shoots are from 10-20 feet. I don't think there would be enough variance in point of impact between any type of ammo at these close distances to matter.

As for recoil, once again the variance in a 115 grain 9mm and a 147 grain home defense round will throw someone off very much who practices often with cheap plinking ammo. Shooting technique and sight picture and the fundamentals will come in to play much more than ammo choice.

Clodbuster
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Please tell me what defense courses you have taken where the instructor says its fine to switch between different types of ammo in a weapon used for personal defense.
And knowing the point of impact has a lot of bearing. It means you are able to hit your target. Seen enough people step out of the range stall into an open field, and under stress, can't even hit a 5 inch plate from 15 feet with a full magazine, using the same ammo they used in the stall. And that plate is in full light and not moving.
Being able to shoot well means taking out as much variance in your training as possible.

You don't even have to shoot only $25 boxes of SXT ammo through your pistol for practice and training. Equivalent target ammo is available which comes close and costs less. Wolf and Miwall reloads, are not in that category.

Clod

I can't imagine learning the point of impact at various distances will have any bearing on your home defense shooting. I would say most home defense shoots are from 10-20 feet. I don't think there would be enough variance in point of impact between any type of ammo at these close distances to matter.

As for recoil, once again the variance in a 115 grain 9mm and a 147 grain home defense round will throw someone off very much who practices often with cheap plinking ammo. Shooting technique and sight picture and the fundamental will come in to play much more than ammo choice.

luisdeleon
02-19-2009, 1:34 PM
does anyone like the Fiocchi brand? i'm looking at Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Pistol Ammunition 9APBHP, 9 MM, Jacketed Hollow Point, 124 GR, 1280 fps. Muzzle Energy :451 ft lbs for home defence.

Jonathan Doe
02-19-2009, 2:08 PM
I have shot at the various distances with different ammo. Within 15 yards, I don't think there was much difference in the point of impact change if you use good factory ammo. Again, I only used American factory ammo in my guns, SXT, Win Subsonic, WinClean, Fed etc. Short distance less than 10 yard should see much of no difference. I just shoot SXTs primarily because I have access to those ammo. And SXTs do a good job.

1911su16b870
02-19-2009, 4:04 PM
IMO Every time you go to the range with your HD firearm, run the HD ammo through it first, then go on to the FMJ plinking stuff. After you get home and are done with cleaning then recharge the mags with new HD ammo.

realmswalker
02-19-2009, 7:19 PM
Please tell me what defense courses you have taken where the instructor says its fine to switch between different types of ammo in a weapon used for personal defense.
And knowing the point of impact has a lot of bearing. It means you are able to hit your target. Seen enough people step out of the range stall into an open field, and under stress, can't even hit a 5 inch plate from 15 feet with a full magazine, using the same ammo they used in the stall. And that plate is in full light and not moving.
Being able to shoot well means taking out as much variance in your training as possible.

You don't even have to shoot only $25 boxes of SXT ammo through your pistol for practice and training. Equivalent target ammo is available which comes close and costs less. Wolf and Miwall reloads, are not in that category.

Clod

Why do I have to have defensive pistol course training to know that a bullet shot at a home intruder is going to hit where you aim it at 20 feet wether you shoot him with wolf or ranger sxt ammo.

Everything you just said right there has to do with training, not with what type of ammo you use. If they cant hit the plate at 15 feet under stress, the ammo has nothing to do with it and they need to shoot more period, not shoot more with more expensive ammo. once again fundamentals will come in to play long before ammo selection at the range will. I can't even imagine using wolf ammo and good defensive ammo has any bearing whatsoever on how you would train for a home defense shooting.

once again we are talking very close distances where point of impact will be a non factor. this is a self defense shoot not a idpa match. Practice and training is what it's all about here.

I don't shoot alot, but I have had defensive pistol training, and wether i shoot someone in my home with hydrashocks or my own loads, those bullets are going to go where I aim.

Now when it comes to functionality and the quality of the defensive load, thats another story. I wouldnt use wolf for home defense but would I train cqb shooting with it? all day long my friend, and I would have confidence in my shooting when i got home and put the sxt's in the gun.

glockman19
02-19-2009, 8:15 PM
I mainly shoot 115 & 124 grain CCI Blazer Brass for practice with 124 grain Federal Hydra Shok for Home/Self Defense.

gdr_11
02-20-2009, 8:43 PM
I generally do my range shooting with Remington 115 JHP, and my home defense load is Remington Golden Sabre 147 JHP.

I do make it a point to shoot a couple of mags of the heavy stuff before I leave the range so I go away with the feel and zero of the load I will be relying on at home.

9mm is a lighter weapon, so I prefer the heavier bullet for better penetration. But, we are all just speculating until the rubber meets the road, after which the real question is whether Charmin is better than Northern.

joems
02-20-2009, 9:00 PM
MIwall 124gr

Clodbuster
02-21-2009, 8:41 PM
I like using Fiocchi in my .45. Haven't tried the 9mm, but the 230gr .45s have a little more kick than Winchester Q loads and runs reliably in my 1911 which is finicky on ammo. The ones I have were made in Italy. Don't know if the made in USA version is different.

Clod

does anyone like the Fiocchi brand? i'm looking at Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Pistol Ammunition 9APBHP, 9 MM, Jacketed Hollow Point, 124 GR, 1280 fps. Muzzle Energy :451 ft lbs for home defence.

Clodbuster
02-21-2009, 9:16 PM
Hitting a plate has nothing to do with getting ready for an IDPA match.
You either hit it or you miss it. When you miss, you have no visual clue if you shot too high, too low, too much to the left or right. Unlike a piece of paper where you see the bullet hole, and can compensate for follow up shots, you only have your training and your familiarity with your ammo's point of impact to adjust. Once you are "dialed" in and can consistently hit the plate, try switching to a completely different ammo and see if you can still hit it.

BTW, in our politically correct world, that "plate" represents a center of mass shot. Ending a confrontation as quickly as possible means being able to hit critical areas reliably, unless you believe you're the only one who brought a gun to a gun fight and can afford to be sloppy even at close range. In a high stress situation, expect your ability to hit critical areas to decrease by 50% from where you train. Then throw in that you are using ammo that you are not accustomed to, and you end up putting in a disadvantage to your ability to win a fight.

Ever seen the convenience store gun fight where the robber and the clerk emptied their guns across the 2 foot counter and missed? Extreme case, but I bet in their minds, both thought they were good with a gun, especially since the fighting distance was only 2 feet.

Clod

Everything you just said right there has to do with training, not with what type of ammo you use. If they cant hit the plate at 15 feet under stress, the ammo has nothing to do with it and they need to shoot more period, not shoot more with more expensive ammo. once again fundamentals will come in to play long before ammo selection at the range will. I can't even imagine using wolf ammo and good defensive ammo has any bearing whatsoever on how you would train for a home defense shooting.

once again we are talking very close distances where point of impact will be a non factor. this is a self defense shoot not a idpa match. Practice and training is what it's all about here.

I don't shoot alot, but I have had defensive pistol training, and wether i shoot someone in my home with hydrashocks or my own loads, those bullets are going to go where I aim.

Now when it comes to functionality and the quality of the defensive load, thats another story. I wouldnt use wolf for home defense but would I train cqb shooting with it? all day long my friend, and I would have confidence in my shooting when i got home and put the sxt's in the gun.

Clodbuster
02-21-2009, 9:17 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. :thumbsup:

Clod

Hmmm very interesting arguments.
Let me stir the pot some more. The poster asked what ammo is best for home defense and for target. Lets take another angle. The best can be determined with what you can readily buy and what you can afford to shoot often. No need to buy a box of $40.00 ammo, shoot it once and buy cheap stuff to practice with. When SHTF you will go into muscle memory mode and shoot the way you trained-with the cheap stuff. You have bought that $40.00 box of ammo years ago and have not used it because its expensive and now your life depends on it, are you really going to remember how it shoots? Shooting in the dark, high flash, low flash? Does this stuff shoot high, low, to the right? Not questions to be asking yourself when the fight is on.

Find a self defense ammo you like and shoot well. THEN buy several brands of lower cost ammo that matches it's bullet weight, recoil, flash and point of impact. Heck, that's why most of us are reloaders, to match the factory product at less of an expense so we can SHOOT more often and keep our skills honed.

Sideline Shooter