PDA

View Full Version : Illinois just took one more step toward RTC

Piper
02-18-2009, 7:26 PM
While our "progressive" state continues to stagnate on the RTC issue, Illinois just took one more step forward. This is brand new info., so I suspect that NRA news will post it as soon as some news service puts it up.

I don't want to say I told you so.....on second thought, yes I do.

DDT
02-18-2009, 7:31 PM
want to tell us what they have done?

Piper
02-18-2009, 7:36 PM
want to tell us what they have done?

The powers that be in Illinois voted 11 to 1 in favor of pushing for a shall issue law. But again, this is all preliminary.

510dat
02-18-2009, 7:37 PM
Which powers? What vote? do you have a web link?

Fjold
02-18-2009, 7:39 PM
It's like pulling teeth sometime, sheesh!

Communications major?

G17GUY
02-18-2009, 7:41 PM
cliff notes?

kermit315
02-18-2009, 7:42 PM
I cant wait. tagged to watch.

CCWFacts
02-18-2009, 7:45 PM
Note that California had a shall-issue bill that passed the full Assembly back in 1998 (?). We've clearly moved backwards since then. Now it seems unthinkable to imagine a CCW reform bill. But IL has had some attempts. They basically want to change their existing FOID system into a CCW system. Smart idea.

kermit315
02-18-2009, 7:54 PM
thats cool, I already have a FOID. Hope they have reciprocity.

DDT
02-18-2009, 7:56 PM
The powers that be in Illinois voted 11 to 1 in favor of pushing for a shall issue law. But again, this is all preliminary.

I want to know who on the Illinois NRA chapter board voted against this.

Or did you mean different "powers that be?"

If you have troubles getting your point across please just post a link to a story.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-18-2009, 8:41 PM
My head hurts now...:wacko:

Theseus
02-18-2009, 8:47 PM
My head hurts now...:wacko:

You should probably stop doing this then....Just a PSA.

:banghead:

dfletcher
02-18-2009, 8:48 PM
thats cool, I already have a FOID. Hope they have reciprocity.

It's been a long time since I was invited to not return to college at SIU Carbondale, but what I recall from living there and nearby Herrin, an FOID is a Firearm Owner ID card and was extremely easy to obtain - I would call it "shall issue" in the manner it was handed out, it was for purchase and ownership only, no CCW use. I can't recall 100% if it worked for long guns and handguns, but I believe it did.

I would be wary of a system that replaces a very easily obtainable, but of limited use, gun permit (FOID) with a CCW permit only that may invest in some local or state official the ability to deny or set restrictions. A CCW "shall issue" system in addition to the easily available FOID would be just terrific - but an end to the FOID with replacement by a CCW type permit only would indicate diligence.

Wouldn't surprise me if the upstate folks tried to be a bit slippery on this sort of thing. If this passes and is a good bill, it will be because of the downstate folks and I wish them the best of luck.

rayra
02-18-2009, 9:19 PM
It's like pulling teeth sometime, sheesh!

Communications major?

'hmpf, must be a journalist'
'how do you know?'
'can't communicate worth ****'

/apologies to Monty Python

LOW2000
02-18-2009, 9:38 PM
Here...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=0367&GAID=10&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=40583&SessionID=76&GA=96&SpecSess=0

DDT
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks Low.

Piper
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I have about as much information as the rest of you. I caught the tail end of what Cam Edwards was saying on NRA news, but what I did catch, he said that a state government body in Illinois voted 11-1 to begin the push toward shall issue. What I would suggest, and I'll do the same, is run NRA news and listen to the late breaking. Or you can just wait until the AM and check out the news then. This was more of a heads up than anything substantial.

DDT
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Ah, so it was on Cam & Company this evening? That's cool, I usually listen while doing the dishes but didn't do dishes this today!!!

Glock22Fan
02-19-2009, 7:55 AM
Assigned to Agriculture & Conservation Committee

Seems like a stange choice.

ilbob
02-19-2009, 9:37 AM
Seems like a stange choice.

its basically the same bill that gets introduced every year. and gets the same treatment every year.

dfletcher
02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Interesting read on the bill, there doesn't seem to be any substantial landmines. Not certain, but the underlined paragraphs on page 29 seem to strike down the Chicago ban?

Piper
02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
its basically the same bill that gets introduced every year. and gets the same treatment every year.

Yeah, I did some searching and noticed that its been introduced more than once. I think that says something about people in Illinois. Eventually, if its been introduced enough, it will pass. Contrast that with people in California doing it once in '98, and then giving up.

kermit315
02-19-2009, 5:06 PM
It's been a long time since I was invited to not return to college at SIU Carbondale, but what I recall from living there and nearby Herrin, an FOID is a Firearm Owner ID card and was extremely easy to obtain - I would call it "shall issue" in the manner it was handed out, it was for purchase and ownership only, no CCW use. I can't recall 100% if it worked for long guns and handguns, but I believe it did.

I would be wary of a system that replaces a very easily obtainable, but of limited use, gun permit (FOID) with a CCW permit only that may invest in some local or state official the ability to deny or set restrictions. A CCW "shall issue" system in addition to the easily available FOID would be just terrific - but an end to the FOID with replacement by a CCW type permit only would indicate diligence.

Wouldn't surprise me if the upstate folks tried to be a bit slippery on this sort of thing. If this passes and is a good bill, it will be because of the downstate folks and I wish them the best of luck.

FOID is good for both handgun and long gun. The only real difference between FL CCW and IL FOID is that in Florida, you have to submit a fingerprint card, the fee is higher, and you have to have proof of training. You still provide the picture, fill out the application, and mail them a check.

Replacement of FOID with CCW would be great, I just dont know if that will come or not.

CCWFacts
02-19-2009, 5:31 PM
FOID rules are a lot looser than CCW permit rules, basically anywhere. There was a funny story a couple years ago about a ten-month-old Bubba getting a FOID (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6662213.stm).

I'm sure that wouldn't fly with CCWs. Maybe they would need to make it as an endorsement on a FOID or something.

But anyway, that bill is DOA. I'm glad someone is introducing it but it is not expected to pass.

LOW2000
02-19-2009, 5:55 PM
Yeah, I did some searching and noticed that its been introduced more than once. I think that says something about people in Illinois. Eventually, if its been introduced enough, it will pass. Contrast that with people in California doing it once in '98, and then giving up.

Thats exactly the method the Anti's have been using for years. You just need to get lucky once and its pretty much there forever.

kermit315
02-19-2009, 6:38 PM
FOID rules are a lot looser than CCW permit rules, basically anywhere. There was a funny story a couple years ago about a ten-month-old Bubba getting a FOID (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6662213.stm).

I'm sure that wouldn't fly with CCWs. Maybe they would need to make it as an endorsement on a FOID or something.

But anyway, that bill is DOA. I'm glad someone is introducing it but it is not expected to pass.

Which rules are looser, besides the age requirement and training. It is the same background check without the fingerprint run that I already mentioned would have to be added.

Basically, anything that would prevent you from getting a FOID would prevent you from getting a CCW.

And, depending on how deep involved in all that corruption Madigan is, this could be a comer. Maybe not this year, but next.

CCWFacts
02-19-2009, 9:54 PM
Which rules are looser, besides the age requirement and training. It is the same background check without the fingerprint run that I already mentioned would have to be added.

It's much less stringent to get the FOID than a CCW in almost any state. The differences are:

Training

FOID requires none of them, CCWs (in almost every state) requires them; it's a big difference. I'm sure if they actually were going to use FOIDs as CCWs they would need to add those things into it.

And, depending on how deep involved in all that corruption Madigan is, this could be a comer. Maybe not this year, but next.

With that horrible governor gone, there's room for some progress I guess. I hope they can. But Wisconsin is a lot more pro-gun than IL and WI has been struggling for years to pass a CCW law. WI will probably need to get rid of Doyle somehow before it can happen.

kermit315
02-20-2009, 9:22 AM
It's much less stringent to get the FOID than a CCW in almost any state. The differences are:

Training

FOID requires none of them, CCWs (in almost every state) requires them; it's a big difference. I'm sure if they actually were going to use FOIDs as CCWs they would need to add those things into it.

With that horrible governor gone, there's room for some progress I guess. I hope they can. But Wisconsin is a lot more pro-gun than IL and WI has been struggling for years to pass a CCW law. WI will probably need to get rid of Doyle somehow before it can happen.

besides the age requirement and training. It is the same background check without the fingerprint run that I already mentioned would have to be added.

I had already mentioned those differences.

Like I said, I dont think it will pass this time either, but give it time and a few more bad apples out of the assembly, and I think it has a shot, especially after incorporation which will come, sooner or later.

I have a feeling Hot Rod is going to start talking about all his "friends" , and some more house cleaning is going to happen.

yellowfin
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
^ Hopefully he'll take Daley down.

kermit315
02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I think that will be one name that is spit up, as well as at least one Madigan. Hopefully both of them though.