PDA

View Full Version : Allowing AW registration to bail-out CA?

dieselpower
02-18-2009, 5:12 PM
Has the topic of opening up the AW registration to aid California's budget problems been talked about here? Has any one brought this idea up to Sacramento?

50,000+ firearms at $50 per = 2.5mil, and I think 50K is on the low side.

USMC_2651_E5
02-18-2009, 6:16 PM
They're more likely to charge you $50 as a disposal fee.

hoffmang
02-18-2009, 6:20 PM
Yes. There are strategic reasons why permits may not be a good short term thing. Also at this point, BoF is wholly against permits so far.

-Gene

nick
02-18-2009, 6:29 PM
Why would we want to bail out CA when it's getting a much needed lesson in cause and consequence?

dieselpower
02-18-2009, 8:05 PM
I agree the people in sac needs a kick in the sack, but the State needs $$. They are going the wrong way. Giving LEO pink slips, Closing FD sub station, leying off teachers, all this leads to more crime and years of tears.

-=FLAME SUIT ON=-
-=Sheilds to full power=-

I am willing to submit to an AW yearly license. I will pay $100.00 per year to be allowed to buy like the rest of the country does. The day I do not renew my AWL, I must either sell the firearms, remove them from the State, or install devices (BB / MMG / B16....). If I dont have an AWL when buying a AW, I must pay for the background check, ($60, with LEO finger printing) wait till the check comes back good, then I get to pay $100.00 for a year AWL.
I also get to buy an hand gun like LEO does! I want that 4" Colt Python!

-=Mr Scott, give me full power...this is gonna hurt=-

ke6guj
02-18-2009, 8:10 PM
right now, with CA not freely issuing permits, there are equal protection issues that can be argued in court to get it all overturned. But, if they do issue permits, then that takes aways some legal manuverings for our side with Nordyke coming due soon.

And for $100 per year, I don't want just AWs and roster exemptions, I want the full monty. Forced CLEO sign offs and all the good permits from CADOJ :D

outersquare
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes. There are strategic reasons why permits may not be a good short term thing. Also at this point, BoF is wholly against permits so far.

-Gene

heh sounds like you are going for straight up overturning the ban

daves100
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
CCW permits i would be willing to pay 100 a year:thumbsup:

AYEAREFIFTEEN
02-19-2009, 9:15 AM
I'll take a machine gun, short barrel shotgun, and short barrel rifle permit for $100 a year. ;)

CAL.BAR
02-19-2009, 9:32 AM

I'm a political realist. I'd be thrilled with AW permits and pay to play with just about anything else (SBR etc.)

My .02 - KA will NEVER EVER give back AW's

99sparks
02-19-2009, 9:38 AM
Has the topic of opening up the AW registration to aid California's budget problems been talked about here? Has any one brought this idea up to Sacramento?

50,000+ firearms at $50 per = 2.5mil, and I think 50K is on the low side.What would the total $ be if they said… $200 for 5 years… pass background… safety shooting class… get full auto and toss in CCW for good measure?

6172crew
02-19-2009, 1:18 PM
The NRA wont back any kind of registration, I asked at a meeting once.:)

hoffmang
02-19-2009, 1:21 PM

With a fall back position of going for permits, It seems we should take a swing or two at the main event first.

-Gene

artherd
02-19-2009, 1:44 PM
We very well may not have to play the whole permits game...

nic
02-19-2009, 1:46 PM
We very well may not have to play the whole permits game...

All these cryptic comments from you bweise, and hoffmang make me REALLY wish I was in the know WRT things that are going on right now.

chris
02-19-2009, 1:58 PM

and i don't support any type of registration either. no compromise on this issue. we have lost to much to cave into such bait if offered it will only entice those who wish for confiscation to do so at a future date.

on a side note. only way for permits to be issued and in written in the law that permits issued will not be used for registration purposes and cannot be used for confiscation. now that is truly a long shot no matter how you slice it. but a guy can wish right?

i do not trust this state when it comes to our RKBA. i would like to see the whole AWB go down in flames.

Gryff
02-19-2009, 2:07 PM
I was talking to someone at Irvington Arms about this last weekend. Assuming that the AW ban isn't overturned, a $200/AW tax stamp (like the Feds do for full-auto or SBRs) would been a nice increase in the State's coffers.

I'd hate to have to pay $200 for each AR that I buy, but it would be preferable than having to install bullet buttons or use 10/30 mags.

dieselpower
02-19-2009, 4:04 PM
"as a fall back position" I like the sound of that. Yes the full monty with the license. You are passing an extensive back ground check, and CLEO notification, not sign off.

N6ATF
02-19-2009, 4:15 PM
$50?
Governments will never tax a right when they can overtax it.

thegratenate
02-20-2009, 6:28 PM
Why not just price match the full selection of ATF stamps?
I'd do 4 bills for a can, 4 bills for SBR, and another 4 bills for 3 position safety. I'd have to walk to work, but I'd have a smile on my face.

Just imagine if we could get stamps across the board for nothing more than double the price paid in other states.

Oh, the whole CA AW thing is idiotic, but $200 for a CA "stamp" would probably fly, just as long as they throw in the rest at the same price.

Smokeybehr
02-20-2009, 8:27 PM
Why not just price match the full selection of ATF stamps?
I'd do 4 bills for a can, 4 bills for SBR, and another 4 bills for 3 position safety. I'd have to walk to work, but I'd have a smile on my face.

Just imagine if we could get stamps across the board for nothing more than double the price paid in other states.

Oh, the whole CA AW thing is idiotic, but $200 for a CA "stamp" would probably fly, just as long as they throw in the rest at the same price.

Since I've been without "toys" here in CA, I'd be willing to pay an extra $200 for cans, SBR, SBS, FA, etc. I'm already dreaming of a FA M4 with a 10" barrel and a Surefire, Gemtech or AAC can as an ammo sponge.

Gryff
02-20-2009, 9:00 PM
Since I've been without "toys" here in CA, I'd be willing to pay an extra $200 for cans, SBR, SBS, FA, etc. I'm already dreaming of a FA M4 with a 10" barrel and a Surefire, Gemtech or AAC can as an ammo sponge.

I'd just be happy to have a 16"-barreled AR with a 30-round detachable mag for the $200 stamp.

Jpach
02-20-2009, 9:20 PM
You guys would seriously compromise with these ***holes? You want to settle with them by giving them money to allow you to have a couple of cosmetic features? Do you really think that they wont spend the evil money you gave them on some BS program completely unrelated to important things like our education system or other stuff like that? I dont understand. Im fed up with this rediculous CA bull**** and will not settle for any AW registration. I cant wait for the day incorporation comes and the Right People will be able to stomp on the Right Things to make this a Right CA. Maybe Im just weird for wanting to be free :shrug:

greasemonkey
02-21-2009, 8:06 AM
no, Jpach, that doesn't make you weird. this is the most highly taxed, strictly regulated state in the union, which clearly is not working well considering how our recent budget "balance" went. AW registration would just be yet another tax/fee, which is exactly what we don't need. MORE TAXES DO NOT create more revenue for the state. the hypothetical $2.5mil or whatever it ended up being, would be that much money that we didn't spend on buying goods/services from other businesses.

money going to Sac is not used efficiently or effectively, why come up with more ways to funnel it up there??

outersquare
02-21-2009, 5:23 PM
With a fall back position of going for permits, It seems we should take a swing or two at the main event first.

-Gene

that is great you guys are taking no prisoners :43:

tommyid1
02-21-2009, 6:45 PM
no way im going to pay money for something that is my right in the first place.

CHS
02-21-2009, 8:40 PM
You guys seriously want to pay money and get permission to have the guns that 45 other states have by default?

Screw that. We fight this SH*T till it goes away permanently.

Stanze
02-21-2009, 11:49 PM
My sig FTW!

02-22-2009, 6:55 AM
Some seem to believe Americans paying their Government a tax to exercise their Constitutional right to defend themselves and their families is acceptable.

I am surprised these geniuses don't consider a Government tax on free speech.

Want to criticize Congressman X? You must pay $75 first. Have something against amnesty for illegal immigrants? $500 fee. Have an issue with the bail-out bill? That's gonna cost you: $3,000.

How about the right of free assembly? Want to join a forum like Calguns where people use the Internet to get together and discuss gun issues? You must have a permit and pay the Government $5 per month.

How's that sound to you guys? Hey, that's a great idea! California needs some extra cash added to the budget and we get to keep the right to assembly and to speak freely. Everybody wins!

Or do we?

thegratenate
02-22-2009, 6:01 PM
I see that there is already a system of tax stamps in place to license certain aspects of our 2A rights, if california were to follow the same model those "stamped" rights would be available to us in this state. It also seems out of place that in other states one is able to pay a fee and acquire such things as fully automatic rifles, short barreled rifles, and other devices that are regulated, but not banned, while in california we are unable to combine a pistol grip and detachable magazine.

If this state were to price match ATF stamps, I think that a nice amount of money could be made, and the right infringements would directly mirror those that are already in place at the federal level.

CHS
02-22-2009, 6:21 PM
and the right infringements would directly mirror those that are already in place at the federal level.

Uhhhh, no they wouldn't.

At the federal level you don't need permission and you don't need to pay any money to get a pistol grip + detachable magazine. In fact, you don't even need PAPERWORK at the federal level to obtain that style of firearm if it's a PPT.

Pthfndr
02-22-2009, 6:28 PM
So some of you say that you'd be willing to pay for a permit, or "tax stamp" like for a NFA firearm.

Did you know there are restrictions on moving a NFA device? Such as if you want to take it to another state.

To move weapons between states two rules apply. An individual
must get permission from ATF to move machine guns, short rifles,
short shotguns or destructive devices between states (or to
temporarily export them) before doing so. This includes taking
them somewhere to shoot them, or when permanently changing
residences.

So what if the CA .gov said, "Sure, to raise money we'll sell AW permits. Only they'll have restrictions. Like, you can't take it out of the city limits of the residence where it's registered without getting prior approval. There will be a $25 fee for processing the request".

Would you still want to have a permit system. Get real people. We fought the current AW registration process and lost the first battle. We're still fighting the war and you want to submit to a conditional surrender?

Smokeybehr
02-22-2009, 7:22 PM
I didn't say that I want to pay for AW permits, I want the RRAWB et seq. to go away.

I'd pay extra for NFA items as long as we could at least get them easily, as opposite of what we have now, which is a defacto ban on NFA items for private persons (not trusts).

tiki
02-23-2009, 6:26 AM
Where's the permit to practice your religion?
Where's the permit to have a trial by jury?
Where's the free speech permit?

No permits. No extra fees. No infrigements of fundamental rights.

Nessal
02-23-2009, 7:08 PM
I don't see it happening without the leftist claiming that it will sky rocket crime and criminals....and we know who runs CA.

AaronHorrocks
02-23-2009, 7:14 PM

NO GOOD can come from a list telling the government who owns what weapons, and where they are.

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 7:22 PM
Where's the permit to practice your religion?
Where's the permit to have a trial by jury?
Where's the free speech permit?

No permits. No extra fees. No infrigements of fundamental rights.
1. Zoning for churches.
2. Attorney fees--try having any shot of winning without big $$$
3. Access fees to air/bandwidth, FCC licensing, publisher's fees, income tax if you're a writer or broadcaster.

Fundamental rights are so infringed we can't see the light of day anymore.

bohoki
02-23-2009, 8:27 PM
the potheads are trying to get california to legalize it and tax it for the good of the state too

unfortunatly the gubmint isnt about to give up some control for security

N6ATF
02-23-2009, 9:26 PM
3. Access fees to air/bandwidth, FCC licensing, publisher's fees, income tax if you're a writer or broadcaster.

Fundamental rights are so infringed we can't see the light of day anymore.

Ham radio license is free, micropower FM and FRS doesn't need a license. The government only asserts authority once you want to make a business out of your free speech.

And they shouldn't even be doing that.

yellowfin
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
^ Business is one way to look at it; I look at it as effective free speech in that it's the speech that can make a difference with enough people. The best message on the air in total doesn't matter a hill of beans if only a couple thousand people ever hear it. Right now we are in a point of history where we are at war within our borders; the "professional" grade stuff is, well, like what's thought of as professional grade firearms what's needed to repel big problems and we've got some BIG problems on our hands.

saki302
03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
As far as federal money goes, if they re-opened th emachine gun registrations and made the tax stamp cost $5000-7500 for each new MG, they would rake in TONS of cash. I bet enough to make a huge dent in the deficit.

As far as CA goes- if they allowed people to pay $5000-10000 to make their vehicles smog-exempt forever (make it something of a limited mileage 'kit car' registration), that would rake in millions- and folks who rarely drive their modded cars (theft, reliability, and all) wouldn't drive them daily and park them everywhere either.

-Dave

N6ATF
03-16-2009, 4:30 PM
Don't give the traitors any ideas on how to tax our rights out of existence.

stormy_clothing
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
all california needs to do is enforce the laws and the deficit will go away.

I guarantee you if I walk across the parking lot to the rancho courthouse there will be at least 30-40 illegal aliens there.

the majority of them being in some combination of drunk driving, no license, no insurance, driving without headlights on and some form of collision.

those people will all plead not guilty and many will disappear. the wall at my post office is full of pictures of them wanted.

if I go to court it will cost me at least 1400 dollars in fines unless there is a miracle, not to mention the money I pay to my lawyers, taxes ect which california all gets pieces of.

try doing the math 40 people x 1400 dollars minimum x 270 court days a year. thats 15 + million dollars a year, from one court

and thats just for initial DUI try adding the rest of the stuff which most of them have.

thats just one example of money lost due to incompetence.

some people will say that at least they will get some money while totally ignoring how much money the rest of us pay to employ the extra officers, judges interpreters how much our insurance premium goes up because of these people not to mention the fact people have been killed numerous times just on the 2 corners next to where I live.

Deficits occur because people stray from real math, plain and simple. 1+1 is not still 1+1 if you have to add +1 gun tax to make it equal 2