PDA

View Full Version : DOJ Operation of Law form question

giarcpnw
02-18-2009, 2:59 PM
My grandmother passed away. Left me her hand gun. My uncle, as executor of her estate, sent it to me. I have the Operation of Law form here to fill out but I'm just a bit unclear as to what I'm putting in the "how possession was obtained" box.

The instructions say: "Enter the condition under which you obtained the handgun (i.e. as an executor of an estate, as a trustee in bankruptcy, as a secured creditor)"
I am none of these. I am direct family and it was bequest to me. Can anyone clarify what i'm putting in the box so this is clear for the DOJ?

I appreciate it.

Craig

DDT
02-18-2009, 3:03 PM
bequest.

ViPER395
02-18-2009, 3:29 PM
Funny how everytime someone asks this question in a new thread, there's a new answer... :confused:

giarcpnw
02-18-2009, 3:48 PM
Well, is "bequest" a new answer? More to the point, is it the right one?

Librarian
02-18-2009, 7:10 PM

The problem is that the form is used for several different, but related, things.

The "ACQUIRED FROM" block needs the name and the relationship - squeeze it in there, you'll get a call from DOJ if you leave it out. Example: "Minnie Mouse, Grandmother"

"HOW POSSESSION WAS OBTAINED" can be lots of things. "Gift" for an intrafamilial transfer or "bequest" for an inheritance should be fine.

Meplat
02-18-2009, 9:08 PM
Sorry, Kick me off the forum if you want but my advice is just shut up and take it. Why should we help those who seek to take our rights?

Jpach
02-18-2009, 9:15 PM
I cant help you in your situation but I just wanted to say I am sorry about your grandmother

Librarian
02-18-2009, 9:47 PM
Sorry, Kick me off the forum if you want but my advice is just shut up and take it. Why should we help those who seek to take our rights?

Stipulating that the probability of any legal problems in this case is very low, and that the intention of the law is, at the least, non beneficent, how does it help to encourage behavior that reasonably could lead to problems in exercising those rights?

giarcpnw
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone! And thank you Jpach.

You know. If I still lived in Texas this would all be a moot point. But i chose to live here and as much as I, and probably all of us, hate to deal with the asinine laws of this state, not reporting this hand gun as a protest may sound like it's sticking it to the man, but in fact would put me in the position to have ALL my guns taken away in the event of a legal altercation regarding it.

So Meplat, I get what you are saying and I thought of it too but it's sadly not worth it. I just don't want to be an illegal "handgun importer." Even though through federal law, it just arrived at my door via fed-ex with no questions asked or FFl involved.

Craig