PDA

View Full Version : What grade do you give Jay LaSuer?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
*That other thread* about Jay LaSuer running for Sheriff in San Diego got me thinking. Some say he's anti-gun because of a screwball bill and a mess with the NRA a few years ago. Some say he's solidly pro-CCW and has a track record to prove it. So let's see if we can give him a CGN grade.

First, let me establish the spectrum.

Ok, an A rating would be... Carmen Trutanich running for LA City Attorney.

An F rating would be... Carolyn McCarthy, DiFi, Pelosi, etc.

From what I've heard about him I certainly can't put him in the same league as a Trutanich, but I certainly can't put him in the same league as DiFi, either.

Where on this spectrum does the rest of the CGN 2A forum place LaSuer?

sorensen440
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I dont think enough of us have researched it enough to have formed an opinion on it

Flintlock Tom
02-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Has the NRA officially endorsed LaSuer?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I know where you're coming from, but the other thread actually had a lot of information that I previously hadn't known about. Also I think a lot of the people who have negative things to say about him might be won over if he met a group of CGNers at the range and had an honest, open discussion about where he stands and the rough road of his past in regards to gun rights, and maybe even assuage some that, I donno, he's learned from his past and wants to move forward or something in cooperation with us.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Has the NRA officially endorsed LaSuer?

It's been said in http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=154314 that the NRA currently gives him an A despite a rocky relationship in the not-distant past.

DDT
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I think there might be a few CGNers in San Diego on the 28th who would dearly love to have him pay them a visit.

hoffmang
02-18-2009, 1:01 PM
It's been said in http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=154314 that the NRA currently gives him an A despite a rocky relationship in the not-distant past.

A simple assertion does not an 'A' create. I don't think NRA has issued a rating yet and I'm sure they haven't issued a rating in the SD Sheriff's race as they don't issue grades until after the ballot access deadline as candidates have a bad habit of not showing up for races.

As such, I think you're post title may be accidentally misleading.

-Gene

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 1:14 PM
A simple assertion does not an 'A' create. I don't think NRA has issued a rating yet and I'm sure they haven't issued a rating in the SD Sheriff's race as they don't issue grades until after the ballot access deadline as candidates have a bad habit of not showing up for races.

As such, I think you're post title may be accidentally misleading.

-Gene

You may be right, I'm looking around on the NRA website and for the life of me I can't find a rating for him.

Edit: Part of this may be due to him having a last name that isn't conducive to searches.

hoffmang
02-18-2009, 1:45 PM
Interestingly, the NRA's endorsement policy has this in it:

The endorsement process starts when the filing deadline for the election has been reached. The NRA contacts the City/County Clerk or Secretary of State office and obtains an OFFICIAL candidate list. The NRA staff then sends ALL candidates a questionnaire who then has a fixed amount of time to return the completed and SIGNED questionnaire to NRA staff.

The NRA affiliated gun clubs, hunting clubs and Members’ Councils may NOT endorse candidates for any elected office in the name of the NRA or the NRA Members’ Council. Members’ Council Officers and Committee Chairs may not issue personal endorsements that identify their Members’ Council position.

I'm pretty sure that NRA has not issued grades on anyone in this election yet and no MC should have yet.

-Gene

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 1:55 PM
Where'd the assumption come from that he gets an A from the NRA? From past elections?

hoffmang
02-18-2009, 2:08 PM
Where'd the assumption come from that he gets an A from the NRA? From past elections?

Dunno. My google-fu doesn't even find that.

it does find that LaSuer worked with the old CRPA to help try to cut a deal to ban internet ammo:
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2006/08/another_heads_u.php

With pro-gun friends like this...

-Gene

Flintlock Tom
02-18-2009, 2:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that NRA has not issued grades on anyone in this election yet and no MC should have yet.

This is correct. I am a member of the greater SD NRA members council and we have pointedly avoided "endorsing" or supporting any candidate until the described process takes place. Even our casual discussions are low-key and non-committal.

And, for the record, any comments I have made on CalGuns.net are my own personal opinions and in no way represent those of anyone else.

ar15barrels
02-18-2009, 2:19 PM
Where do I find this CalGuns rating system?
What's my rating?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 2:20 PM
Where do I find this CalGuns rating system?
What's my rating?

Right under your user name when you post... :thumbsup:

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 2:25 PM
LaSuer worked with the old CRPA to help try to cut a deal to ban internet ammo:

-Gene

:puke:

ar15barrels
02-18-2009, 2:25 PM
Right under your user name when you post... :thumbsup:

Crap.
It says I need a life. :o

Alaric
02-18-2009, 2:36 PM
Jay LaSuer DID NOT receive an A from the NRA.

He received an A+.

This was for his 2004 run for the 77th district Assembly seat.

http://www.nrapvf.org/ELECTIONS/State.aspx?y=2004&State=CA

Kestryll
02-18-2009, 2:44 PM
Just for the record the ratings listed in the poll are member opinions and not a 'Calguns Grade'.

Based on age, general condition and overall appearance the Official Calguns Grade would be: 'Select'

Due to age and the likelihood of being a bit tougher and having less marbling we can not rate him as 'Prime' or 'Choice'.

ar15barrels
02-18-2009, 2:46 PM
Due to age and the likelihood of being a bit tougher and having less marbling we can not rate him as 'Prime' or 'Choice'.

http://gouldon.com/ardsley69/Neil/NeilExpo/NEphotos/kobe_beef.jpg

Kobe Beef FTW...

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-18-2009, 2:48 PM
Just for the record the ratings listed in the poll are member opinions and not a 'Calguns Grade'.

Thanks for mentioning this, I should have. This isn't official in any way, it's just forum people who can be bothered to form enough of an opinion to select a choice. Utterly unscientific, and doesn't represent anybody or anything other than the opinions of those who took part. And maybe not even that.

7x57
02-18-2009, 3:00 PM

Holy Toledo, Calguns tracks that? My marbling is nobody's business but my waistband's! :TFH:

7x57

ar15barrels
02-18-2009, 3:02 PM
Holy Toledo, Calguns tracks that? My marbling is nobody's business but my waistbands! :TFH:

7x57

It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you. :TFH::TFH::TFH::eek:

7x57
02-18-2009, 3:02 PM
Dunno. My google-fu doesn't even find that.

it does find that LaSuer worked with the old CRPA to help try to cut a deal to ban internet ammo:

I found that too, and as the only way I can get Federal HST is by mail I am not too pleased.

Yah. :(

7x57

Kestryll
02-18-2009, 3:05 PM
Holy Toledo, Calguns tracks that?

I have extensive files....

And 55 gallon drums of BBQ sauce.....

ar15barrels
02-18-2009, 3:06 PM

That would go well at the next BBQ. :thumbsup:

tgriffin
02-18-2009, 3:08 PM
I dont think enough of us have researched it enough to have formed an opinion on it

What he said.

7x57
02-18-2009, 3:10 PM
I have extensive files....

:eek:

It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you. :TFH::TFH::TFH::eek:

True dat! :chris:

7x57, going to the gym tomorrow to reduce some of that marbling

Bentot
02-18-2009, 3:53 PM

Based on age, general condition and overall appearance the Official Calguns Grade would be: 'Select'

Certainly not road kill like some elected/appointed officials in Sacramento!:D