PDA

View Full Version : State Department Floating Ammo Import Ban

JohnnyBangBang
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
State Department Floating Ammo Import Ban

I got this in a email today from The Virginia Shooting Sports Association.

http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2009/02/state-department-floating-ammo-import.html

hawk1
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you Mr. Obama and especially those that voted for him. Many of them right here at Calguns...:thumbsup:

Friday, February 13, 2009
State Department Floating Ammo Import Ban

It looks like those who said the Obama Administration would strike while the iron is hot may have been correct, and the Administration may be doing it in a way that does not require them to even get a vote in Congress. In this morning's edition of the Shooting Wire, Jim Shepherd writes that Canadian officials have it on "good authority" our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.

Ammos listed for this rumored ban include the .50BMG, 7.62x39mm Soviet, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester, 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. Additionally, we're hearing that an expansion of this proposed ban might be broadened to include the 6.8mm SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP- among others.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance. Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.

Shepherd continues that there may also be a plan to ban exports on certain firearms to Canada from the US, resulting in the State Department hammering gun manufacturers, distributors and exporters in the United States while simultaneously making firearms -and ammunition - ownership and acquisition more difficult for Canadians.

Many in the pro-rights community have said since the election that Obama could circumvent Congress by using regulations in his various cabinet departments to attack gun owners. It appears that it may have already begun.

Dr Rockso
02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
No big deal, I don't use any floating ammo.

Dr Rockso
02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
By the way if you go and read the articles on Shooting Wire (2/13 and 2/18) these rumored changes would only affect ammo being exported from the US.

The intent of the story was simple - to let our readers know the United States Department of State was considering a ban on the export of US ammo in several calibers to Canada.

yellowfin
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I wonder what the last straw will be.

hawk1
02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
No big deal, I don't use any floating ammo.

See, this is the problem right here as quoted above.

As long as it doesn't affect you...

bassgruvn
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Seems to me that is the big problem with the whole country.

Dr Rockso
02-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Well who would it affect? Floating ammo seems pretty useless to me, all of the ammo I'm aware of sinks like a boat anchor.

By the way, the title of this thread is misleading, it should say 'export ban' instead of 'import ban'. No fault of the OP, but sounds like the VSSA misread the Shooting Wire article.

Cypren
02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Right now I'm trying to decide if you're all being sarcastic or if you really think there's such a thing as "floating ammo." Please, please tell me this is just a case of text not conveying inflection. :rolleyes:

Flintlock Tom
02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I think it's a case of not finding the "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon.

Dr Rockso
02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Right now I'm trying to decide if you're all being sarcastic or if you really think there's such a thing as "floating ammo." Please, please tell me this is just a case of text not conveying inflection. :rolleyes:
Ugh, I'm never making a corny joke on the internet again.

nat
02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

I got your joke.

Why are people getting upset about ammo export? The Canadians are strict about firearm stuff. What else is new?

yellowfin
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I got your joke.

Why are people getting upset about ammo export? The Canadians are strict about firearm stuff. What else is new?
This is about TPFI's regime being so hell bent on anti gun policies they won't even leave our neighbors alone. It's going for the first form of guns and ammo import/export restriction they figure they can get done. If left alone, it won't be the last.

Dr Rockso
02-18-2009, 1:03 PM
I got your joke.

Well if you read the article on the VSSA blog (linked by the OP and quoted in the 2nd post), it makes it sound like the US State Dept is considering banning the import of a bunch of ammunition. But if you go and read the articles at Shooting Wire, it turns out that the rumor was of the State Dept considering regulating what can be exported to Canada (and today's article (http://www.shootingwire.com/archives/2009-02-18) indicates that the whole thing is being denied by both the US and Canada).

Sadly I think this is how the next 4-8 years are going to go. It's sensationalism, as evidenced by the completely misleading headline and references to Obama. Sometimes I think there are people out there who want him to ban guns just so they can be proven right.

Cypren
02-18-2009, 1:08 PM

Sorry. I think it says something about the forum communities I've visited that I actually stopped to ask the question. *sigh*

elSquid
02-18-2009, 1:18 PM
This is about TPFI's regime being so hell bent on anti gun policies they won't even leave our neighbors alone. It's going for the first form of guns and ammo import/export restriction they figure they can get done. If left alone, it won't be the last.

It's nothing new. Unduly burdensome restrictions were in place during Bush's tenure as well. For example, getting any rifles/parts stamped "5.56" exported from the US into Canada is a giant PITA. Springfield M21/M25s were denied export permission. Many scopes require export permission as well.

It's funny in that in many instances it's easier to import certain types of firearms ( EBRs ***cough*** ) from China and Europe than from the US for Canadian civilian consumption.

-- Michael

Centurion_D
02-18-2009, 1:20 PM
Again thank you all who voted for nobama..you know who you are. You voted for change..your gettin' it!!!

Fate
02-18-2009, 1:45 PM
You voted for change..WE'RE gettin' it!!!
Fixed it for you.

DDT
02-18-2009, 1:47 PM

Don't feel bad I posted an onion video here and someone had the temerity to reprimand me for it because he was afraid people might not understand that The Onion was a parody site. They're the people who laugh 20 seconds late.

BTW: The reason this is BAD is because it will restrict trade for American ammunition makers. These companies will then move their production off shore where they can sell to the world market and that will:
A) kill American jobs
B) tighten up power availability for re-loaders
C) Create dependence on imported ammo that can then be restricted via duties etc.
D) slow development of new rounds in the States.

hill billy
02-18-2009, 1:47 PM
I wonder what the last straw will be.

I am with you but this is what I am afraid of. I can vividly recall thinking several years ago when folks were talking about 4.00 a gallon for gas, that if that ever happened, there would be riots in the streets. Sadly, America fell right into line. I am afraid for gun owners and hope we will not do the same.