PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Westend lately?

pottymouth310
02-18-2009, 9:15 AM
Has anyone been to Westend lately? How are the road conditions? I've never been there before and I'm planning to go there for the 1st time next week 23rd. I was wondering with all the rains and all, if the range is assessable with a regular car or is a truck more appropriate? Is it dirt roads or paved all the way?
thanks for the tip....

hoozaru
02-18-2009, 9:20 AM
I was there last thanksgiving. Not sure what it looks like now with all the rains. But definitely bring a truck or SUV, dirt roads aren't that bad.

retired
02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
You may have to cross a creek to get there. It is right off of the main road after you get on the dirt road. I went there once a couple of years ago and it was going pretty fast. I wasn't sure if my Dodge pickup was going to make it since I didn't know how deep it was.

Well, after the Mercedes Benze E class car drove thru it, I figured I could make it also.:D.

Did you know that Lytle Creek Firing line is only about 7 miles up the road and it is open to the public every day but Tue/Wed. when they are closed. It is not a membership place and they have about 5 separate ranges. You might want to try it if you don't like West End. Just a fyi, not knocking WE.

hoozaru
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, after the Mercedes Benze E class car drove thru it, I figured I could make it also.:D.

last year, a friend of mine took his Subaru WRX with us to WE, he actually made it but said he will never do that again.

retired
02-18-2009, 1:06 PM
last year, a friend of mine took his Subaru WRX with us to WE, he actually made it but said he will never do that again.

Wait a minute, I thought those things are used in road rally races all over the world and that's what they are made for. A couple of years ago, one of the car mags (I think Car and Driver) did a 10 best test and the WRX STI won on the dirt road part.

pottymouth310
02-18-2009, 9:31 PM
Wait a minute, I thought those things are used in road rally races all over the world and that's what they are made for. A couple of years ago, one of the car mags (I think Car and Driver) did a 10 best test and the WRX STI won on the dirt road part.

I guess that means "the road was that bad"....

CamW
02-21-2009, 8:25 PM
I was out at West End today shooting a match, the road going in is in pretty good shape, a few wet spots,nothing to worry about. A guy with a Honda Civic made it in with no problems, just go slow and watch out for the bigger rocks.
However if we get any significant rain on Monday, it might be a different story.