View Full Version : Particulars of US serviceman owning / registering an 'assault weapon' in CA?

02-17-2009, 7:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there is an exemption for US servicemembers stations in CA, with their home of record being outside the state. The exemption allowing / requiring that they be allowed to register an otherwise forbidden EBR.

I'm digging around the CA DOJ Firearms pages and I'm shocked, shocked that this is difficult to find.

I have an acquaintance in the USN who is attending a service training school in FL right now and will be getting stationed somewhere in central coastal CA in a couple months. He called to ask about the plentiful rifles he's finding there, and I recalled this exemption that would allow him to legally bring such an arm into the state. Or at least I think I recall such a thing. So what say you?

02-17-2009, 7:47 PM
Military Assault Weapons Permit allows Military personel being stationed in CA to bring in any rifles theyve owned prior to coming to the state. Contact the DOJ and theyll send him the paperwork. Its a one shot deal, one chance to register everything they are bringing, no addidg to it once you have it. It does not allow one to bring in any standard capacity magazines.

02-17-2009, 8:06 PM

More googling turned up a CalGuns topic I didn't find thru using our own search tool -

Lots of good details in there.
I'll get the data to his asap, he's got about 8 weeks or so before he comes to CA.

02-17-2009, 9:15 PM
Yolanda is no longer with the DOJ unfortunately. Very courteous and professional woman she was.

Her replacement, is fortunately, just as friendly and helpful.
I'll see if i can find her contact info, I believe its Tracy Chen but I need to dig up some documents and will post it when I can.

Word of advice, have him bring AWs that can be converted to NON AW status once he EAS, resigns commission, or whichever.
For example, I have a bunch of AR lowers, that are OLL, which means when I EAS I can slap on a bullet button and inform the DOJ that they are no longer AW and compliant with state regs.
however, I also have a mak-90, which is unfortunately on the AW list, so I'll have to properly sell it outside of the state before my permit expires.

Also, see if your friend has any handguns that are not on the safe list which he might like to collect, and might like to sell later if he decides he no longer wants them. Ya know?