PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide which one to let go?

RogueSniper
02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I need to thin out the Ranch. Without fully disclosing my entire stable of "girlfriends", I need to send some of them to a new home. How do I decide who can stay and who has to go?

What are your deciding factors?
Usefulness/Fun Factor
Size - petite through big boned
One of a kind/Twins/Triplets
Present market demand/Future market value
Too many of the same Caliber
Virgin/Too experienced
New kid/Old timer

Let's face it, we love them all. Feeding and maintenance usually isn't an issue. I reload, so making some obsolete round isn't a problem. Space, sure we can always make room for one more. But doggonit, I need to recover some cash/investment.

Help ...

Black Majik
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I vote for usefulness. We all have those few that just sit around collecting dust. These are different than the collectables, some enjoy owning rare guns that are difficult to find. I'm talking about the spare Glock 17, or the USPc when you primarily shoot the USPf.

Beelzy
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I throw them all up in the air and the one that hits me in the head gets sold.
:D

Kidding aside, I pick the ones that have the highest return and how often
they are shot. Ironically they usually happen to be the hardest to replace.

tgriffin
02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
These days....its fun factor since I shoot so rarely. That said, I also keep practicality/utility high in mind for self defense.

PorkLover
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
i say keep them all and stop bringing more to the stable.....

tlillard23
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
sell bone marrow, blood, sem-en whatever it takes....

aplinker
02-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Whatever I don't shoot I sell. It's that simple.

gwl
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
For me it was usefullness and cost to maintain (ammo wise)

Crusader
02-17-2009, 1:04 PM
Here's the order I go by to decide which to keep:

Usefullness
Sentiment
Fun

If a firearm doesn't fit in one of those categories, it's the first to go.

gunboat
02-17-2009, 1:07 PM
I think you answered your own question - You want to recover some of your investment -- therefore, what ever make you the most profit is the one -

Echidin
02-17-2009, 8:05 PM
I need to thin out the Ranch. Without fully disclosing my entire stable of "girlfriends", I need to send some of them to a new home. How do I decide who can stay and who has to go?

Eenie meenie minee moe, with all the "moe" going to me, of course. :)

1911_Mitch
02-17-2009, 8:10 PM
I decide which ones I cannot live without (i.e., 3-gun, target, SHTF, collector, etc..)

Then I decide which ones I cannot live without as a spare.

Then I decide which ones are left and which is the least useful, practical, etc..

considering, caliber (cost and cross compatibility), value (purchase cost and resale value), etc..

bplvr
02-17-2009, 8:17 PM

What are your deciding factors?
Usefulness/Fun Factor
Size - petite through big boned
One of a kind/Twins/Triplets
Present market demand/Future market value
Too many of the same Caliber
Virgin/Too experienced
New kid/Old timer

Let's face it, we love them all. Feeding and maintenance usually isn't an issue. I reload, so making some obsolete round isn't a problem. Space, sure we can always make room for one more. But doggonit, I need to recover some cash/investment.

Help ...

If you have one that is under 40 that is petite and likes to
shoot big bore send her info my way. She must like dogs and camping. No golddiggers femi-nazis ,or libs.

kermit315
02-17-2009, 8:48 PM
I never sell a gun that I like. If there is something about it that I just cant get past, then I will sell it.

I have sold 3 guns in my life. A Ruger P89, a S&W Sigma .380, and another firearm (I use that term loosely) that I will not disclose. The only one I regret is the Ruger, because I needed the money.

RedDawn
02-17-2009, 8:55 PM
My criteria is pretty simple. The gun that gets the least range use and is not hard/rare to replace at a later date. If its value is <$250, then it is exempt from sale.

sorensen440
02-17-2009, 8:56 PM
I have a rule against selling but if I were in a tight spot I would make my choice based on usefulness and ease of buying again in the future

Rogerbutthead
02-17-2009, 9:22 PM
About 10-12 years ago - I sold some of my guns.

I regret selling them. Money comes and goes.

I can't say for a certainty that the guns will keep being for sale.

Eric, selling that L1A1 still burns my arse to this day.

Don't sell any unless you have no other choice in raising money.

Thefeeder
02-17-2009, 9:46 PM
1) I do not sell anyting I can't replace
2) I start at the bottom of the pile ( common shooters)
2) All sale funds go towards something better or want more

bill104
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I've never sold anything, well there was this one thing 20 years ago, I gave the wife to her boyfreind, been happy ever since.

RogueSniper
02-19-2009, 8:26 PM
LOL! :D