PDA

View Full Version : A tear in my eye

11Z50
02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Today, I met my admin assistant at a Sweet Tomato's in Fresno for a lunch. As we paid, I handed over my CC, and the guy at the register asked for ID, which is cool. I keep my VA ID in the little window in my wallet since I have to show ID more to them than anybody else, and it is a Gov't picture ID.

The 20-something guy at the register made it a point to thank me for my service. I was surprised, caught a bit off guard, and thanked the young man for his consideration.

I had a nice lunch meeting with my admin person, and then went to the parking lot, sat in my Tahoe for a minute and realized that six years ago this day, I was sitting in a HMMWV on the Kuwait-Iraq border, waiting on the hostilities to begin. I thought of the four thousand plus Americans that have lost their lives in the war on terror since then. I thought of those I soldiered with, and wondered if they are doing okay. I thought of the young man in the restaurant, and I prayed he would never have to experience the horror of war.

One of the best things a citizen can do is to simply thank a vet for his service. We don't want parades, big shows, ceremonies, or anything else. A simple "Thank you for your service" means more than all of that.

old-trapper
02-16-2009, 10:32 PM
THANKS......................................

69Mach1
02-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing, and thank you for your service.

ivanimal
02-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Thank you for my continued freedom.

jlh95811
02-17-2009, 1:11 AM
While I greatly appreciate all that you have sacrificed to do what you've done for your country I must disagree with this statement.

We don't want parades, big shows, ceremonies, or anything else. A simple "Thank you for your service" means more than all of that.

You may feel this way but it seems many other do not. So speaking for veterans as a collective does not work well with this statement.

What about the guys who got all pissed off about them putting out that eternal flame due to the high cost?

Here is what I think Vets should get:
Full pay for one year after relief of duty to help get themselves reintergrated into society. Or for life if injured during service.
Free Mediacal care for 3 years if healthy and for life if injured during service.
Free 4 year university to be started within 2 years of relief of service. If they choose to use this grant for school they should be given full pay if taking classes full time.

Here is what I think they should not:
Multiple parades paid for with more taxpayer dollars.
Free college for children(not sure if this one actually happens or not but I've heard about it in some capacity)
Free medical for life even though they are perfectly healthy.
Overly expensive memorials.(please don't misunderstand thinking I mean none at all)

Note These Are NOT Complete Lists.... Just a sampling of what comes to mind.

Please do not think I am against Vets and/or current Service Men and Women. They are in my prayers always.

I simply think that in a time when our economy is in the dumps we should not be spending money that is not an absoulte necessity.

snypr
02-17-2009, 5:04 AM
Thank you 11Z50!!!

jmlivingston
02-17-2009, 5:47 AM
Free college for children(not sure if this one actually happens or not but I've heard about it in some capacity)

Some states provide this, usually as a benefit to members of the National Guard or as a a benefit to disabled vets.

chris
02-17-2009, 11:12 AM
i had a similar experience at a gas station a week or two a go. a complete stranger at the gas station saw my Iraq War Vet sticker on my back window and shook my hand and thanked me. and i have to tell ya that makes my day everytime it happens.

snypr
02-17-2009, 3:06 PM
Chris, thank you too!

Beelzy
02-17-2009, 3:08 PM
You know, a lot of folks really do appreciate the Service by yourself and others. Some just don't show it in a way you can see.

For every one person who actually thanks you, there's a dozen more nearby
that don't say anything but think to themselves how lucky they are to have
rights that are protected by you. I have seen them, they have that blank
stare that is in your direction. Watch for it next time. ;)

Oh......lest I forget.........Thank You! :D

97F1504RAD
02-17-2009, 3:20 PM
I try to make a point of thanking all Veterans and Active Duty folks when ever i find out that they have or are serving our country.

Thanks to you for doing so.

11Z50
02-17-2009, 4:25 PM
I think this war will last a long time, and it amazes me that so many young men and women continue to step up to the plate and take their turn. My unit was one of the first to mobilize after 9-11, and that will be 8 years ago this year!

When I go to the VA hospital I see many young faces there for treatment for their wounds. One can see a quiet respect between the latest generation of warriors and those who served in previous wars. I try to smile and shake hands with others since I know it feels awkward, but there is very little small talk and no "war stories" being exchanged.

It makes me feel proud and sad at the same time when someone thanks me for having served, since it always brings back memories. Now that I am one of the protected, when I see a vet or a soldier returning home, I look them in the eye, offer my hand, and thank them for their service. I do this because I know how much I appreciate it, and it is the least I can do.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-17-2009, 7:10 PM
Thanks Toby for your service.

mapleleafup
02-17-2009, 7:43 PM
My boys make sure to shake every veterans hand they get a chance too. in the market, the mall doesnt matter. They love to shake ww2 veterans hands because they generally give them candy after lol. So thank you too all the service men on this forum.

jlh95811
02-17-2009, 7:53 PM
Some states provide this, usually as a benefit to members of the National Guard or as a a benefit to disabled vets.

Not sure why in the case of National Guard but in the case of injured Vets it surely makes my list.

ZirconJohn
02-17-2009, 8:14 PM
11Z50; Thank you Sir, much respect to you.

Great story, great post, thank you for sharing.

pdq_wizzard
02-17-2009, 8:21 PM
Thank YOU!!!

jmlivingston
02-17-2009, 9:34 PM

Not sure why in the case of National Guard but in the case of injured Vets it surely makes my list.

Recruiting/retention tool, it's thought of as a state-provided benefit to the state militia. I think it was up in Michigan where I saw this, where Michigan NG troops were offered free or reduced tuition at Michigan schools. I think they called it the ACE program. I don't remember the details, it was 20 years ago when I was TDY up there.....

John

iRIGHTi
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
God Bless ALL OUR TROOPS! No matter where or when.

A Soldier's Prayer

Almighty Father, Whose Command is over all and Whose Love never faileth,

let me be aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will.

Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty

in purpose and in deed, and helping me so to soldier and to live

so as to stand unashamed and unafraid before my fellow soldiers,

my loved ones, and Thee.

Protect those in whose love I live.

Give me the will to do the work of a man and to accept my share

of responsibilities with a strong heart and a cheerful mind.

Make me considerate of those entrusted to my leadership

and faithful to the duties my country has entrusted to me.

Let my uniform remind me daily of the traditions

of the Service of which I am a part.

If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith;

if I am tempted, make me strong to resist;

if I should miss the mark, bestow upon me courage to try again.

Guide me with the light of Thy truth ~ and keep before me the life of

Him in Whose example and deliverance I trust.

In the name of my Lord,

Amen.

~ Authored by an unknown World War II U.S. Navy Serviceman ~

B-Onebag
02-22-2009, 7:21 PM
I had a nice lunch meeting with my admin person, and then went to the parking lot, sat in my Tahoe for a minute and realized that six years ago this day, I was sitting in a HMMWV on the Kuwait-Iraq border, waiting on the hostilities to begin. I thought of the four thousand plus Americans that have lost their lives in the war on terror since then. I thought of those I soldiered with, and wondered if they are doing okay. I thought of the young man in the restaurant, and I prayed he would never have to experience the horror of war.

One of the best things a citizen can do is to simply thank a vet for his service. We don't want parades, big shows, ceremonies, or anything else. A simple "Thank you for your service" means more than all of that.

I agree 100%. When I enlisted I had all sorts of reasons for doing it. College, travel, a job with actual benefits. After two deployments in three years your reasons for serving start to evolve into "I serve and fight today so that tomorrow my children and their children won't have to."

11Z50:

As one of those young guys I do look up to the men and women that have preceded me. When things get bad there's always a griper. When that happens I usually think back on all the folks that have come before and how they got through their hard times. Then it hits me. It's crazy that someday some random guy might be thinking about how we handled the situations we're in today.

Colt
02-22-2009, 8:52 PM
My younger son arrived CONUS today from the Sandbox (not home yet, but soon). He said they had a group of Vietnam Vets lined up to shake their hands. He was quite moved by their service and their willingness to say "no vets will ever come home and be ignored." He made a point to comment about how many had purple heart ribbons. He was grateful to them, and vice versa.

We should thank all vets every chance we get.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-22-2009, 9:10 PM
Thank you friend.

sytfu_RR
02-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Thank you for your service sir!

lcpl. huynh
02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
My younger son arrived CONUS today from the Sandbox (not home yet, but soon). He said they had a group of Vietnam Vets lined up to shake their hands. He was quite moved by their service and their willingness to say "no vets will ever come home and be ignored." He made a point to comment about how many had purple heart ribbons. He was grateful to them, and vice versa.

Which unit was your son deployed with?

Jamez
02-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I go to American River College and I get it a lot from students and faculty when I wear my Veterans Club shirt I made and when we have fund raiser bbq's. (I'm the President of the ARC Vet club)

Colt
02-23-2009, 6:07 AM
Which unit was your son deployed with?

He was deployed with Army, 812th MP Co (combat support). First part of tour they were attached to 1st Marine Division in Fall***h and then they joined with 1st Cavalry up in Mo**l.

lcpl. huynh
02-23-2009, 9:01 AM
Thats nice, I was deployed with 1/2 in Habbaniya, Rawah, and Sahl Sinjar. We also just got home. I had to spend a few days in Lejeune with them to demobilize before flying back to my home unit, 23rd Marines, San Bruno yesterday.

DVLDOC
02-23-2009, 9:13 AM
I thought of those I soldiered with, and wondered if they are doing okay.

+1 bro... I think about this quite often especially when I go to Camp Pendleton....

DVLDOC
02-23-2009, 9:18 AM
He said they had a group of Vietnam Vets lined up to shake their hands. He was quite moved by their service and their willingness to say "no vets will ever come home and be ignored." He made a point to comment about how many had purple heart ribbons. He was grateful to them, and vice versa.

I wasn't also expecting this type of appreciation when we just got off the plane coming from Iraq in 2004. They were nice enough to let us use their cellphones to call our relatives to let them know that we are home... I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT...

SanSacto
02-23-2009, 9:22 AM
Great story! Thank you for your service!

GenLee
02-23-2009, 9:25 AM
Thank you for your service.

ghostwong
02-23-2009, 9:48 AM
Sir!! Thank YOU for all you have done for this Great Country! My wife, and my daughters of 8-6-4 are better for your devotion.

B-Onebag
02-25-2009, 6:11 AM
Yes the Maine greeters were always awesome coming home from the sandbox. The good folks there all volunteer their time and money to make you really feel like you're headed the right direction. Most of them are Vets from all different services and all shake your hand and say good luck and take care on the outbound trips. They're right there waiting when you're flying back through thanking you for your service and welcoming you home.

chris
02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
when i got home from Iraq the Vietnam Veterans of America welcomed us home with all kinds of food and sodas and such. it made me feel so good. since the guys were crapped on when they returned home from Vietnam it's a great feeling that they are makin DAMB sure it won't happen to this generation of Vets. i thank all the Vietnam vets when i encounter them and thank them for they are truly making us vets feel very welcome when we return.

Sig357
02-25-2009, 1:37 PM
Thank you 11Z50 for your service and patriotism. And thanks to all the men and women who have served and are currently serving in our armed forces. And last but not least the soldiers that have lost their lives fighting for the freedoms that so many take for granted.

THANK YOU:patriot:

glockwise2000
02-25-2009, 3:31 PM
Thank you for the service. You are a hero:thumbsup: