PDA

View Full Version : My Walther P22-CA Target - Range Report 2/28/09

Gio
02-16-2009, 7:20 PM
Here are a few pics of my newly acquired Walther P22-CA Target. I just got it last night after the 10 Day Jail Period, not even 24 hours after picking her up I already had it torn down and modded a little bit ;)

I buffed the feed ramp using some 150 Grit sandpaper and also did the hammer on the part that strikes the firing pin. I have been looking online and saw that P22's generally are a toss up of good and bad reviews. So I looked for those bad things people complain about and to my disbelief my pistol came out flawless. None of the little problems mentioned are there or any signs of it. I bought the pistol used form another CalGunner and it had 1,200 down the pipe. Looks like avidone took good care of her, and there was little or no gun powder residue build up anywhere. I totally took it apart, except for getting into the trigger assembly and fire control area. The ejector and everything looks good, so I tightened up the screws which were loose and added some blue loc-tite as well. So upon re-assembly I lubed her up and everything seemed to go back on smoothly except for getting the rod and recoil spring back on lol. I finally figured out how to do it with the Target Model, I have only seen tear down vids and info for the Standard Model.

Here are a few cruddy pics, tried to get better detail:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/eastbaysti/IMG_1904.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/eastbaysti/IMG_1907.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/eastbaysti/IMG_1908.jpg

Thanks for looking, feel free to leave any comments or questions ;)

-Gio

SanSacto
02-16-2009, 7:38 PM
For a .22LR, the thing looks bada**! If you don't mind, keep us posted with some range reports and how it eats up different ammo! I am still trying to decide between the P22 and the Ruger Mark III.

Gio
02-16-2009, 8:21 PM
Thanks d00d, will do. Just need to find time to get out to the range. I have my now finished and unfired AR's as well to try out. Also have my slightly modded Kimber to try as well.

-Gio

Gio
02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Well took her out to Panoche Hills yesterday along with my AR22 Build. Whoever said they were not good for target shooting is dead wrong. We were shooting at a fence post that had been knocked down and stripped of the fence wires. Post was no wider then 2" I say and we were able to hit it from 50/60 feet out repeatedly with both the P22 and AR22 setup. Not that it is the same as shooting a paper target and getting some nice tight groups but to me that impressed me pretty good. Made swiss cheese out of a milk contaiiner we found up there and took home to recycle afterwards. Overall it is a nice little addition to my little collection of Firearms I started building Nov 11th 08 ;)

-Gio

Gio
03-03-2009, 2:11 PM
For a .22LR, the thing looks bada**! If you don't mind, keep us posted with some range reports and how it eats up different ammo! I am still trying to decide between the P22 and the Ruger Mark III.

So far I have used Winchester Wild Cat, Remington Thunber Bolt and CCI Mini Mags. It did okay with the Win and Rem, but the CCI went flawless. I have also seen a vid on youtube where a guy is using Remington Hollow Point 550 Value Pack and it worked well, I will be trying that next time I visit Wally World or a sports store that carries it for a decent price.

I bought my P22 used from another member here and I think it is a good pistol, but I would go for the Ruger instead. I wanted a 5" barrel and something easy to use. Also the price was not bad, I know Ruger's are a little more then the P22's.

-Gio

supermario
03-25-2009, 11:55 PM
So far I have used Winchester Wild Cat, Remington Thunber Bolt and CCI Mini Mags. It did okay with the Win and Rem, but the CCI went flawless. I have also seen a vid on youtube where a guy is using Remington Hollow Point 550 Value Pack and it worked well, I will be trying that next time I visit Wally World or a sports store that carries it for a decent price.

I bought my P22 used from another member here and I think it is a good pistol, but I would go for the Ruger instead. I wanted a 5" barrel and something easy to use. Also the price was not bad, I know Ruger's are a little more then the P22's.

-Gio

I try to use CCI Stingers all the time, those work great in my Walther22, actually work great in all 22's.

triggerhappy
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Nice Walther! I tried to get the target model, but was told Kalif. said no. No complaints, though, I got the standard, anyway. I plan on spending alot of time with the kids this summer using as much ammo as possible.

BTW, do you find one kind of ammo better than another for these?

OK, so I'm lame. I just re-read the above posts, so thanks for the input guys :)

Gio
03-26-2009, 5:35 PM
Nice Walther! I tried to get the target model, but was told Kalif. said no. No complaints, though, I got the standard, anyway. I plan on spending alot of time with the kids this summer using as much ammo as possible.

BTW, do you find one kind of ammo better than another for these?

OK, so I'm lame. I just re-read the above posts, so thanks for the input guys :)

I have not tried the Stingers yet as they are a little more in price, and I do not think HP is that great to shoot anyways.

The brand I like the best as of yesterday is CCI Blazer, pretty much the same thing as CCI Mini-Mag but a non-coated lead bullet.

Only gripe I have about my P22 Target is that I get the sights nice to where I am getting tight groups then it either moves or I am moving and it goes somewhere else. But it does not keep going in the same area, oh well call it user error then!

-Gio

triggerhappy
04-08-2009, 7:31 PM
Funny you should mention that. I am an amazing shot, but it seems that all my guns are really bad at keeping on target.

cdtx2001
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I bought my P22 when they first came out. I liked the idea that you could change the barrels out. That was a lot of fun at the time until Kalifornia figured out it was a no-no design. Mine got sent in and modified to comply. It's still a good shooter and I've never had any problems with any kind of ammo I've shot through it, especially the Remington golden bullet stuff.

FeuerFrei
04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Great little pistol!
Accurate and fits small handed shooters.
I got one for the kids to shoot and they adapted to it quickly.
Ammo... I usually shoot subsonic CCI and Remington subsonic.
Keep it clean, lubed properly and it will run just fine and be very accurate.
Enjoy!

crimsonv
12-10-2009, 3:52 PM
I have owned one since new and had to send it in for the cal refit(worst thing ever) and once I got it back cannot hit a target with good grouping. I have to send it back in for them to tighten the barrel properly do to the fact that front sight is located on the front stablizer which in turn is tightend to the barrel sleeve which moves just enough to move the front sight out of wack with each shot. I can move the barrel sleeve with my hands!! Other than that love the thing but don't shoot it very often do to frustration

Canute
12-10-2009, 7:20 PM
I have the three inch version and have only taken it out once. I can't say that I impressed myself but still like the gun nonetheless. It doesn't help that the range I was at won't do anything shorter than 25 yards.