PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign letter to ed CCTimes, 2/16

DocSkinner
02-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Karen Arntz got a letter in about more and tougher gun laws, including how America supports an assault weapon ban.

CC Times seems to publish a lot of their letters. maybe if enough write, as this one is so easily picked apart, they might better understand that there are MNAY of us that stand opposed to her point, and their support of it.

My letter is below:

I always love when writers contradict themselves and their own argument. Monday's 'tougher gun laws' letter is a perfect example. Karen Arntzen starts by pointing out how the "ILLEGAL gun trafficking" (her words, my emphasis) is a key to stopping violent crimes both in Mexico, and in our local area. Couldn't agree more! Firearms are not the problem, it is who has those firearms (less than 1% of all private firearms are used in a crime each year).
But then she contuinues by stating we need more laws and tougher laws. Uhm, to make this illegal gun trafficking more 'illegaler'? If the trafficking is already illegal and still prolific, obviously what is needed is greater ENFORCEMENT to stop the already illegal activity. More laws that will also be ignored by the criminals, and overlooked by their communities and the judicial system are not the answer. Enforce the laws, punish the criminals, and stop the crimes.

tcrpe
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Karen Arntz got a letter in about more and tougher gun laws, including how America supports an assault weapon ban.

CC Times seems to publish a lot of their letters. maybe if enough write, as this one is so easily picked apart, they might better understand that there are MNAY of us that stand opposed to her point, and their support of it.

My letter is below:

I always love when writers contradict themselves and their own argument. Monday's 'tougher gun laws' letter is a perfect example. Karen Arntzen starts by pointing out how the "ILLEGAL gun trafficking" (her words, my emphasis) is a key to stopping violent crimes both in Mexico, and in our local area. Couldn't agree more! Firearms are not the problem, it is who has those firearms (less than 1% of all private firearms are used in a crime each year).
But then she contuinues by stating we need more laws and tougher laws. Uhm, to make this illegal gun trafficking more 'illegaler'? If the trafficking is already illegal and still prolific, obviously what is needed is greater ENFORCEMENT to stop the already illegal activity. More laws that will also be ignored by the criminals, and overlooked by their communities and the judicial system are not the answer. Enforce the laws, punish the criminals, and stop the crimes.

With approximately 250,000,000 firearms, and approximately 400,000 gun crimes, yep, a little more than .0016 gun crimes per gun per year.

Now, many of these are repeat uses of the same gun, so it's way less than 1%, say 0.16% assuming that each gun crime is committed with a different gun.

So it's safe to say the number would be less than 0.15%.

Swiss
02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
FYI, here's the original letter in the CC Times:

Tougher gun laws needed now
Letter to the Editor
Posted: 02/05/2009 12:00:00 AM PST

Tougher gun laws

The Times editorial, "Stop illegal gun flow" (Jan. 30) outlines the problem of illegal gun trafficking through California to Mexico.

But as a solution. it put forth a vague long-term call for cooperative effort by the United States and Mexico. This ignores the more realistic solution of strengthening U.S. federal gun laws now.

Illegal guns are not just fueling drug wars in Mexico, they are fueling drug wars in Oakland, Richmond, San Francisco and every other city in the Bay Area.

Local law enforcement is all too aware that illegal pipelines from Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada gun shows keep Bay Area gangs and drug dealers armed to the teeth.

Although California has the nation's strongest gun violence prevention laws, illegal gun trafficking undermines progress toward stopping the gun violence epidemic in our state. It is simply too easy for gun traffickers to arm dangerous criminals because of weak laws at the federal level.

Election polls show the American people support stronger gun laws including: background checks, handgun registration, assault weapons bans and eliminating gun show loopholes. If we strengthen our federal laws, there will be fewer gun violence victims in California.

Karen Arntzen
Pleasant Hill

Amtzen is the California chapters coordinator of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

SwissFluCase
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
How many members does the Brady campaign have? We need to find out that info, and then continually remind everone that they are speaking for a *very* small minority in this country. I rememeber when the National Organization Women was called out by their critics for having only 4000 members. They never really recovered from that. While I don't offer an opnion on that example, I think the same tactic would against the Brady Campaign.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

CalNRA
02-16-2009, 4:08 PM
How many members does the Brady campaign have? We need to find out that info, and then continually remind everone that they are speaking for a *very* small minority in this country. I rememeber when the National Organization Women was called out by their critics for having only 4000 members. They never really recovered from that. While I don't offer an opnion on that example, I think the same tactic would against the Brady Campaign.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

but they got Sylvester Stallone!!!!

yellowfin
02-16-2009, 4:31 PM
but they got Sylvester Stallone!!!! So not only do they have fewer people, they can't even get tall ones.

SwissFluCase
02-16-2009, 4:32 PM
but they got Sylvester Stallone!!!!

They can keep him.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

CapS
02-16-2009, 4:46 PM
"Local law enforcement is all too aware that illegal pipelines from Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada gun shows keep Bay Area gangs and drug dealers armed to the teeth."

WTF? This can't be true. Which local law enforcement? Where does this information assertion come from?

Regulus
02-16-2009, 4:48 PM
They can keep him.

+1

We have Chuck Norris

PonchoTA
02-16-2009, 4:58 PM
+1

We have Chuck Norris
and Ted Nugent! :D

rrr70
02-16-2009, 5:03 PM
WTF? This can't be true. Which local law enforcement? Where does this information assertion come from?

From being stupid and smoking huge ammounts of dope.

hvengel
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM

Regards,

SwissFluCase

It is my understanding that the Brady Bunch is already aware of this issue and has consistently refused to release any information concerning the number of members in their organization.

Cypren
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
and Ted Nugent! :D

Given his behavior and confused, ranting editorials, I think he falls squarely into the category of gun owners who are our own worst enemies. :(

He's certainly not someone I'm proud to share a hobby with.

rrr70
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
It is my understanding that the Brady Bunch is already aware of this issue and has consistently refused to release any information concerning the number of members in their organization.

Are they tax exempt?

freonr22
02-17-2009, 12:23 PM
yes they are a 501c i believe, does this mean we can get the data?

dreyna14
02-17-2009, 3:55 PM
Where the hell do they get the idea that "tougher" laws and more regulation will do anything? They already admit to CA having very strict gun laws, but that it's done little to prevent anything. These people are so horrendously stupid that I don't think any form of rational argument will convince them that they're not even remotely right.

timdps
02-17-2009, 7:11 PM
Local law enforcement is all too aware that illegal pipelines from Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada gun shows keep Bay Area gangs and drug dealers armed to the teeth.

So if they are aware of this problem, what is law enforcement doing about it and why are we not hearing about large crackdowns on CA gunrunning? Should be a major effort...

If gunrunning is the problem, it seems to me that the Brady people should be concentrating on supporting law enforcement in their efforts instead of attempting to turn large classes of people into criminals.

thegratenate
02-17-2009, 8:02 PM
They don't want to take guns from the criminals, they want to take our guns, or make us criminals.

For all that they care the criminals can keep their guns, if there are no armed citizens able to defend themselves, the criminals will be in no danger at all.

LOW2000
02-17-2009, 8:32 PM
Drug dealers and gangs armed to the teeth? Then put an express lane in for the death sentence for gang members convicted of murder. Chemical castration for those convicted of rape. Make the consequences high and not simply a badge of honor for those committing these crimes and you will see a reduction in both repeat and first offenders.

AggregatVier
02-17-2009, 8:55 PM
The Brady Campaign having Sylvester Stallone is like the German bragging to Winston Churchill that Germany had Italy as an ally. Churchill replied, "We had them last time - now it's your turn."