PDA

View Full Version : Tax on consignment gun?

xxdabroxx
02-16-2009, 9:10 AM
Do you have to pay sales tax on a consignment gun? Is it like a ppt or what?

randy
02-16-2009, 9:16 AM
Yes you have to pay tax on a consignment gun.

xxdabroxx
02-16-2009, 9:23 AM
DARN... you should only have to pay tax on the part of the sale that the FFL takes. The other part is like a PPT right.

Kingofthehill
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
you get to pay tax just like you bought it new from them... on the whole price.

Only advantage to consignment is that they don't go against your 1/30 rule... otherwise its just like buying new.

JOe

xxdabroxx
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
so i could buy another pistol today, the day i pick up the first one theoretically.

Sig556
02-16-2009, 9:00 PM
If it's a consignment, you should be able to buy as many as you want. I think the one gun a mounth only applys to new and used gun from a gun store.

mymonkeyman
02-16-2009, 9:35 PM
you get to pay tax just like you bought it new from them... on the whole price.

Only advantage to consignment is that they don't go against your 1/30 rule... otherwise its just like buying new.

JOe

And off-roster handguns.

CSACANNONEER
02-17-2009, 4:54 AM
Legally, you have to pay sales tax on almost anything you buy. This includes garage sales, craigslist, private party gun sales, etc. The fact that most people do not pay or collect the tax doesn't maen that it is legal. It's just very hard for the state to enforce and collect these taxes. Given our states current finacial trouble, this could change. I can just see a tax collector going to garage sales to collect the sales tax owed to the state.