PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances at getting a CCW in OC?

exon111
02-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm 18 years old and I value my right to keep arms for the purposes of self defense. Therefore, I would like to apply for a CCW permit in OC. Normally you have to be 21 to legally own a pistol, but through an interfamily transfer, a pistol can be legally registered to an 18 year old. If I apply for a CCW in Orange County, what are the chances of my CCW application being approved? I have two somewhat legitimate reasons for needing one. First, I recently became and EMT and may work for an ambulance company that responds to dangerous areas. Second, I own a medical supply company and often deliver thousands of dollars worth of medical equipment to locations I'm unfamiliar with. I also travel with large sums of cash to purchase medical equipment advertised on craigslist (I buy and sell AEDs). Could I use these as reasons for needing a CCW permit?
Thanks in advance!

DDT
02-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Your chances of getting a CCW in OC right now are near zero. Do a search here about the issue. The new sheriff is actively revoking CCW permits from law abiding citizens because she doesn't believe in an armed citizenry.

exon111
02-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Your chances of getting a CCW in OC right now are near zero. Do a search here about the issue. The new sheriff is actively revoking CCW permits from law abiding citizens because she doesn't believe in an armed citizenry.

Didn't the county supervisors put an end to that already? Last I heard, things were improving. Is that no longer the case?

DDT
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
sadly, no longer the case. And never really was, just lots of posturing.

Gonna have to go out and exercise that new right to vote in 20 months.

azn_wrx
02-16-2009, 1:21 AM
You really should read the threads about the new sheriff in this forum.

CSDGuy
02-16-2009, 1:51 AM
The chances of you (the OP) getting a CCW in OC right now are about zero. First primarily because of your age. At 18, you haven't had enough of a track record as an Adult to satisfy the Sheriff that you will likely be very responsible with a concealed handgun. Never mind that you can purchase a rifle or shotgun. Since you're still under 21, you can't purchase ammuniton for that handgun by yourself. It's not illegal for you to possess, just for you to purchase (or a dealer to sell to you).

As a brand new EMT (fun profession, might I add) your travels into dangerous areas will not qualify you for a CCW. Most employers will also not authorize you to carry a handgun on the job... and CCW issuers would likely requre an authorization letter from your employer if you were to carry it on the job.

The "Large Sums of Cash" may work, but you're going to need documentation of carrying the cash - such as frequency of carrying the cash. The "transportation of valuble equipment" would likely not work unless you can show that it's a high value deal that puts you at significantly greater risk of being robbed.

Under the current Appointed Sheriff, if you were to be issued a CCW, it would likely be limited/restricted to those times when you are actually actively carrying the cash for the purpose you gave.

Your biggest hurdle is your age. It is what it is. Just be "Effin" careful. I've been a Paramedic for a while. Being an EMT is a fun ride... but depending upon who you work for, it can be really fun or it can be a drag. Never, EVER do anything that will jeopardize your certificate. Your employer could just be looking out for number one... and knows that EMT's are very easily replaceable. Guess where that can leave you? Also, never let your cert expire. It can quickly get expensive to get it renewed if you do...

Tarn_Helm
02-16-2009, 4:29 AM
I'm 18 years old and I value my right to keep arms for the purposes of self defense. Therefore, I would like to apply for a CCW permit in OC. Normally you have to be 21 to legally own a pistol, but through an interfamily transfer, a pistol can be legally registered to an 18 year old. If I apply for a CCW in Orange County, what are the chances of my CCW application being approved? I have two somewhat legitimate reasons for needing one. First, I recently became and EMT and may work for an ambulance company that responds to dangerous areas. Second, I own a medical supply company and often deliver thousands of dollars worth of medical equipment to locations I'm unfamiliar with. I also travel with large sums of cash to purchase medical equipment advertised on craigslist (I buy and sell AEDs). Could I use these as reasons for needing a CCW permit?
Thanks in advance!

Your chances are zero.

Read here if you haven't already: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=152048

wildog8812
02-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I believe that you still must be 21 to get a CCW, even if you have a handgun legally through an inter-family transfer. Plus even if you were 21, there is less than a 1% chance you would get one thanks to the new Sheriff.

DDT
02-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Since you're still under 21, you can't purchase ammuniton for that handgun by yourself. It's not illegal for you to possess, just for you to purchase (or a dealer to sell to you).

That's news to me. Care to elaborate?

CSACANNONEER
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Play Lotto, the odds are better.

vrand
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Play Lotto, the odds are better.

sad but true :xwing:

azn_wrx
02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
That's news to me. Care to elaborate?

The law clearly states vendors are not allowed to sell pistol ammunition to people under the age of 21. Vendors can sell rifle ammunition in pistol calibers to people under the age of 21 but older than 18 if the vendor believes the person will be using it in a rifle.

DDT
02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
The law clearly states vendors are not allowed to sell pistol ammunition to people under the age of 21. Vendors can sell rifle ammunition in pistol calibers to people under the age of 21 but older than 18 if the vendor believes the person will be using it in a rifle.

I didn't know that, guess that's what I get for not being a handgun owner before I was 21.

For those interested it is 12316(a)(1)(B) (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12316.php)