PDA

View Full Version : Why do we "Bubba" out our AR's?

rumble phish
02-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Last time I was at the range I noticed how everyone and their brother with an AR had the guns all tac'd out with rails and lasers and lights and all these fancy Eotech Aimpoint red dots and fancy stocks and forward pistol grips and yadda, yadda, yadda.........

So I looked at mine and thought " WTF do I have a 4 rail hand guard? Why do I need the forward pistol grip when I always just use the front of the mag/mag well? While I don't have a flashlight on mine, I looked over and got a chuckle out of the guy a couple of benches down from me with his "Rambo" gun.

So I guess what I'm asking is why DO YOU put all that stuff on your AR when you'll never use it? Cool factor? I mean, yeah they do look pretty cool. That's maybe why I put the stuff on mine. I can admit it. I have a pistol grip and light on my Mossberg 500, but I see that as more useful.

After watching an old timer at the range break out his 20" old school Colt AR with no fancy stuff on I realized all the trick stuff I want will never help me become more proficient with my gun. I'm thinking I'm just gonna keep it in a basic configuration and shoot the hell out of it.

Adonlude
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I just love the flat top look. I have an ACOG on my flat top and hand guards on my quad rails. They serve no real purpose but I like it more than the plastic hand guards

technique
02-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I only put stuff on my guns I'm gonna use. With the exception of a few minor things such as..KNS pins, Enhanced trigger guard, and thats pretty much it.

bornInSD
Well I am still building my first AR but I am gonna put a forward grip on it and some form of red dot. This is for the cool factor but those two items are useful, now for the flashlight thats just extra weight and money. So I can also admit its for the cool factor but those are useful also. Anyways though to each his own, and if I had the money I would definately have the bubba'd M4orgery and the classic AR.

OutlawDon
Cause it's Tacti-cool.

tgriffin
02-15-2009, 10:17 PM
^ thats....just.....wrong.

NeoWeird
02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I've always said, and will continue to say, that nothing looks quite as sexy as a 601 when it comes to AR rifles and NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, comes sexier than a 607 when it comes to carbines or anything else for that matter.

The bells and whistles are nice, and they have their place, but most people never will need them. Still, I guess to most it's better to have and not need than need and not have. Personally, I think the IDF had it right with their 'tactical' carbines.

I also find it funny that you mention you don't have a flashlight on your rifle, even though that is one of the first things you should add. Not the absolute first, but within the top three or so. Just goes to show that while everyone is busy turning their rifle into the gun from Beverly Hills Cop 3, function goes out the door for 'tactical'.

B.D.Dubloon
02-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I put a cheap forward pistol grip on one of my guns and I am never going back. What a great and comfortable way to shoot. Plus I feel like I have quicker control over aiming. I got a cheap tac light on the forum here (only got it because it was cheap) and figure it will be nice to have when I am shooting up the campsite at night after a few knob and colas,:43:

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I think as long as you have less stuff than these guys, you are probably ok.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/1badar15ah6.jpg
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/24g6t1g.jpg

:D

andrewj
02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
B.R.D. is nothing new. AR's are money pits and we all know that but I personally dont think that railed handguards, flashlights, forward grips, and red dot sights are necessrily unnecessary or unreasonable "Rambo" features.

mydogsmonkey
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM

:D

just to clear something up but thats actually a well known guy in the flashlight world, he's one of the top up at Surefire, i'm sure many see him at the shot show, can't remember his name right now, and i've actually seen the original of that picture, it was still overdone with stuff but that has photoshopped stuff all over that just kills it

Ernest

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
thanks for the info. I just though the pic was over the top, so I snagged it when I saw it.

andrewj
02-15-2009, 10:47 PM

I like how hes got a rifle on his keychain... or is it a keychain on his rifle...

Trench Broom
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
I like going old-school - iron sights! I really don't care for all of the extra fluff - but a light would be kinda neat, maybe a laser too. Hmm....then I'd need some quad-rails......STOP. Take a deep breath. Ahhh.....that's better. :D

audihenry
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Same reason people buy $10,000 rims...

mydogsmonkey
02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
thanks for the info. I just though the pic was over the top, so I snagged it when I saw it.

no problem, just trying to make sure i inform people cause i see it used a lot:D
good thread though, i hope i keep my AR build simple

sugi942
02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
The real question is why not?

50CalAL
02-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I do have a quad rail on my S&W AR but only have a forward grip and bipod on there right now. Plan to add scope but that's about it. Don't want to get too crazy and add stuff I don't need.

I always liked the the flat top M4 style look though.

NeoWeird
02-15-2009, 11:49 PM
The real question is why not?

Murphy's Law going bonkers as you add stuff...

Hurt reliability and accuracy...

Snag factor and lack of concealability...

Bulk and weight...

Wasted money...

The fact that most people want the 'stuff' but not the price so they invest in cheap Chinese rip offs that functions worse than the factory part and even more awfully than the part they are mimicing...

The fact that 90% of the stuff added on isn't used at all, let alone properly when it is used...

Should I keep going?

MacDaddy
02-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Some are doing it to be tacti-cool. Or because buying and using toys is fun.

Some probably want a swiss-army knife that will have the right accessories available for a variety of SHTF/zombie situations. Sort of like a bug-out bag.

I'll admit, I'm doing it for both.

docsmileyface
02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I've got my weapons set up based on the ones I've used in the military, which happened to have rail systems, surefires, and optics. The only thing missing is a PEQ-15, but I don't see myself shelling out any money for one of those, ever.

My next (and last for a while, recently married with a baby on the way) is going to be a bare bones Model 723 clone using a CMMG 14.7" lightweight A1 upper, debating if I should order it now or if I'll still be able to get one in July when I come back....

SDgarrick
02-16-2009, 1:46 AM
An EOtech has enabled me to hit silhouettes at 300m offhand. Could I do it with iron sights? Probably, But the EOtech is easier on my eyes and lets me keep a field of vision.

JerryM
02-16-2009, 1:57 AM
Hey,

Remember the good old days? When the only cool thing your carbine had was the retractable stock?

Even then I had people say that it was not needed, nothing wrong with the rifle.

Then, somebody had the b*lls to put a bipod on their carbine. LOL. The humanity.

Before you knew it, all these cool little gadgets were available because of Spec Ops / Navy Seals / SWAT, etc needed them to do their jobs. Those guys had friends who were a bit jealous of the extra toys, and bought some.

Then the War on Terror super expanded manufacturing and everybody could afford it.

Although I would have never imagined that I would pay 100 buck for a freaking piece of aluminum LOL.

In the end, it is just a fun thing to do, an extension of the hobby. Unless you use the crap for work, varminting, etc.

I remember when I put a flashlight, a foregrip, a laser, an ACOG, and went on a patrol.

Next day, the only thing on my M4 was the flashlight and the sight LOL.

It is just fun to bubba your toys.

(^_^)

NeoWeird
02-16-2009, 2:07 AM
I got nothing against modifying guns. I guess it's a fine line.

Like the difference between turning a Model T into a hot rod and turning a Civic CRX into a lawn mower with take off clerance from ground control.

Stormfeather
02-16-2009, 5:07 AM
Hey,

Remember the good old days? When the only cool thing your carbine had was the retractable stock?
Even then I had people say that it was not needed, nothing wrong with the rifle.
Then, somebody had the b*lls to put a bipod on their carbine. LOL. The humanity.
Before you knew it, all these cool little gadgets were available because of Spec Ops / Navy Seals / SWAT, etc needed them to do their jobs. Those guys had friends who were a bit jealous of the extra toys, and bought some.
Then the War on Terror super expanded manufacturing and everybody could afford it.
Although I would have never imagined that I would pay 100 buck for a freaking piece of aluminum LOL.
In the end, it is just a fun thing to do, an extension of the hobby. Unless you use the crap for work, varminting, etc.
I remember when I put a flashlight, a foregrip, a laser, an ACOG, and went on a patrol.
Next day, the only thing on my M4 was the flashlight and the sight LOL.
It is just fun to bubba your toys.

(^_^)

Well, I use mine over here in the box right alongside DocSmileyFace, and hes correct, sight, flashlight, and thats pretty much all ya need. I agree its fun to bubba them out, I just try to make mine different that everyone elses. Over here though, where its all about work and not play, its a surefire m900 and Acog, other than that, the rest of my carrying weight is magazines.

Jonathan Doe
02-16-2009, 5:09 AM
All I have on mine is folding sights and EOTech 512. I don't need to put anything else on it. The gun becomes too heavy and defeats the purpose.

JohnnyRooks
02-16-2009, 5:16 AM
it's fun to do it. it's like playing barbie dress up on gun. lol

my next AR project would be KISS. i'm pretty much done playing with my other AR's. lol

Diablo
02-16-2009, 6:50 AM
It's you rifle. Add anything you want.

savageevo
02-16-2009, 7:44 AM
Its the same thing when someone ask me , Why do I have so much guns, Because I can and its my preference. When people start asking about why this and why that, it sounds like the government telling you what you can do. Remember this is America, not communist Cuba. I have to admit when I see someone have 30" rims costing 15k on a 2K caddy or truck I just laugh inside, Not go up to them and ask them why.:eek::confused::rofl2:

Jonathan Doe
02-16-2009, 7:50 AM
You can make your AR any which way you want to make it cool. But the OLL rifles can only shoot 10 + 1 rounds. Then what? Not cool. :mad: It will be okay if you have a registered AR and can use hi cap mags.

AJAX22
02-16-2009, 8:09 AM
I blame Airsoft

will227457
02-16-2009, 8:20 AM
yeah I dont get all the gear also, I would rather spend my money on ammo and range fees, or better yet a class to really learn the gun, if it dosent help me shoot better I don't want it.

that said it's not my money if guys want to hang gear on their rifle, more power to them.

Jonathan Doe
02-16-2009, 8:27 AM
A few months ago, I examined a entry tactical AR from a federal agency when they were involved in a shooting. The rifle had all the bells and whistles, vertical fore grip, rail, eotech, lights, laser, 2 stage trigger, etc. It weighed over 10 lbs, maybe close to 15 lbs. The 2 stage trigger was not adjusted right, and it was too light. I don't know why anyone need a gun that heavy for a tactical carbine.

theneko
02-16-2009, 8:59 AM
I still remember a post on arfcom a while back. In the photos section a guy posted a pic of his basic AR when he got it, then the one with all the gadgets on it (no key chain though). The first response was "it looks like it was dragged through a TAPCO catalog"...:rofl2:

I keep mine simple too - flat top with an optic (aimpoint). Add an ambi saftey and sling and I'm good to go. :thumbsup:

IGOTDIRT4U
02-16-2009, 8:59 AM
Last time I was at the range I noticed how everyone and their brother with an AR had the guns all tac'd out with rails and lasers and lights and all these fancy Eotech Aimpoint red dots and fancy stocks and forward pistol grips and yadda, yadda, yadda.........

So I looked at mine and thought " WTF do I have a 4 rail hand guard? Why do I need the forward pistol grip when I always just use the front of the mag/mag well? While I don't have a flashlight on mine, I looked over and got a chuckle out of the guy a couple of benches down from me with his "Rambo" gun.

So I guess what I'm asking is why DO YOU put all that stuff on your AR when you'll never use it? Cool factor? I mean, yeah they do look pretty cool. That's maybe why I put the stuff on mine. I can admit it. I have a pistol grip and light on my Mossberg 500, but I see that as more useful.

After watching an old timer at the range break out his 20" old school Colt AR with no fancy stuff on I realized all the trick stuff I want will never help me become more proficient with my gun. I'm thinking I'm just gonna keep it in a basic configuration and shoot the hell out of it.

If you can't master firing an A2 with iron sights, all that other crap is not going to make a bit of difference in real life except that you get to carry a heavier gun.

sorensen440
02-16-2009, 9:00 AM
nothing wrong with putting a rail a light and optics IMO

Blue
02-16-2009, 9:02 AM
They're kinda like Harleys, they all can look the same but the guy with the most money has the one with the most mods on it.

rumble phish
02-16-2009, 9:05 AM
WOW! My very first 4 pager! :laugh:

I appreciate all of your thoughts. I want to be clear on something though. I'm not trying to bash on anyone's preference to "bubba" their rig. Hell, I felt myself being pulled that way, too.

It just hit me when the Range Master asked a young guy if he ever has had a chance to use all the tac stuff he had on his gun and the kid sheepishly said "No. I just thought it looked cool". The RM just chuckled, shook his head and walked off.

I realized that I was gonna be that kid and I realized that all the stuff I was putting on my gun wasn't going to add any real advantage.

Anyway, I think a few guys understood what i was saying here. If you wanna do it, then by golly this is America and I say do it!. But for me, I think I'm gonna keep it light and simple.....

IGOTDIRT4U
02-16-2009, 9:07 AM
nothing wrong with putting a rail a light and optics IMO

That much makes sense, but when I see gobs of stuff on a gun that looks like a safe queen, I'm just saying...

sorensen440
02-16-2009, 9:09 AM
That much makes sense, but when I see gobs of stuff on a gun that looks like a safe queen, I'm just saying...

Yeah some people go overboard
IR illuminatators are just silly if you dont have NV

randy
02-16-2009, 9:25 AM
I spent yesterday shooting with about 30 other shooters at the X3 match in Piru. Other than optics I saw a few cheese grators (quad rails) otherwise the guns were all business. I guess the difference is some people shoot and use their stuff and others just polish the chrome.

1911su16b870
02-16-2009, 9:28 AM
IMO if it is your firearm, only used by you, with no intention on ever selling it or getting back what you have in it, go ahead and modify to make it work for you! Bubba-away!!! :D

biglou
02-16-2009, 9:52 AM
I've got mine set up based on the one I used in the Marine Corps. Triangle handguards, 20 in. barrel, iron sights, etc. Seems to work for me. This whole Ar thing has caused a niche in the market for fans of the mouse gun. It's a good thing. It keeps the economy rolling and everyone can dress up their rifle anyway they want. God Bless America !

IGOTDIRT4U
02-16-2009, 9:55 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but NV scoping is illegal in CA at this time, correct? So, having IR on the rail, really has no use. (or is it NV goggles are the only thing illegal?)

high_revs
02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Their money, not yours. They can do whatever they wish to it since it's their property. This is a fine line. We cannot be hypocrites when many in PRK are trying to take away our passion and our rights.

Blue
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but NV scoping is illegal in CA at this time, correct? So, having IR on the rail, really has no use. (or is it NV goggles are the only thing illegal?)

I think NV on a gun only applied to 1st gen NV or something weird like that. Don't quote me on it.

sorensen440
02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
NV scopes are illegal in CA but goggles and mono's are legal IIRC

SJgunguy24
02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I didn't Bubba mine but I did get a quad rail free float handguard. It allows more airflow than the H.G. that was on my upper. I also put the Magpul XTM covers so I don't get burned.....they look cool too.

SJgunguy24
02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
NV scopes are illegal in CA but goggles and mono's are legal IIRC

I thought scopes are legal as long as they are not equipped with an iluminator.

dieselpower
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I have the exact opposite thinking as most here.

When I hear the term, "Bubba AR15", I think of a 20"-24" flattop with a folding FSB, Tube FF, 10X50 scope, and a bi-pod. That's Bubba's hunting rifle.

In my thinking, "bubba" is a backwoods hunter who likes AR15s, and wants to use it that way. Which is fine. It has a sub MOA potential, semi-auto, and can be quite purdy.

The fact is, it is not a hunting rifle. Its was designed for the taking of human life in battle. If you asked Eugene Stoner to make you a hunting rifle, he would not have given you the AR15 platform. Hell, he didn't even want to give us the AR15, but was forced too.

Now given that is my line of thought on the matter. An AR15 is only as good and as useful as you need it to be.

YOUR AR15, needs to be configured as YOU need it. This is what the AR15 is.
IMHO and What I need are as follows:

20", Flat top, bi-pod, folding sights, 9X40 mil-dot, adjustable stock. This is for daytime long range engagement of threats when I have back up. This only needs a railed gas block and a bi-pod rail or attachment point.

16", Flat top, A2 standing rear sight, Standard FSB, CQB type optic, Flashlight, maybe a VFG, single and two point attachment places, battery storage, Bolt storage, 4 position stock. This is for close combat to medium range engagement of threats in daytime and nighttime. Needs a rail on the bottom, a rail on both sides: Right side for flashlight, left side for two point sling attachment, bottom is for VFG if needed. Flip sights are great, but I choose not to have to flip up a sight, I want it there when I need it. The flashlight is needed because I don't want to shoot what I can't ID. The stock is needed to adjust for what I am wearing.

16" A2, A2 stock. KISS. Daytime or nighttime engagement of threats close to medium range when I will shoot at anything that moves and kill it! The basic AR15 is everything needed for this task.

So is there is a need for the quad rails in my mind and when I see someone with everything and the kitchen sink hanging on their AR15, They must need it for something. I just wonder how long they can hold it up for :D

MolonLabe2008
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
rumble phish wrote:
Why do we "Bubba" out our AR's?

Because we can.

IGOTDIRT4U
02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I thought scopes are legal as long as they are not equipped with an iluminator.

I'll think I'll start a new thread. This needs to be worked out.

Capt. Speirs
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
An EOtech has enabled me to hit silhouettes at 300m offhand. Could I do it with iron sights? Probably, But the EOtech is easier on my eyes and lets me keep a field of vision.

+1, it is about the speed of the acquisition and target identification, whatever it takes for whatever situation arises, Laser, EoTech, ACOG, Surefire Lights, IR.

I think NV on a gun only applied to 1st gen NV or something weird like that. Don't quote me on it.

NV is not illegal in CA, except when hunting, I believe.

grammaton76
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I'll think I'll start a new thread. This needs to be worked out.

Short and simple answer... if your weapon-mounted NV device either does not magnify, or does not have an illuminator, it is not prohibited in CA.

Thermal IR is legal, as is a passive collector. You can mount an IR flashlight on your head if you want, just don't mount it on the weapon.

NeoWeird
02-16-2009, 7:26 PM
Short and simple answer... if your weapon-mounted NV device either does not magnify, or does not have an illuminator, it is not prohibited in CA.

Thermal IR is legal, as is a passive collector. You can mount an IR flashlight on your head if you want, just don't mount it on the weapon.

I think you are ALMOST dead on. It can not have an illuminator or be a magnified ELECTRONIC scope. IF you were to have some sort of conventional scope mounted behind or in front of a non-magnifying NV device, I believe, it would still be legal. Then again, I am not a lawyer or there may be case law against what I am saying and I could easily be wrong.

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

tankerman
02-16-2009, 7:45 PM
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.

SkatinJJ
02-16-2009, 8:27 PM
You say that like there's something wrong with being like a little girl playing dress up. ;)

For my little girl, I have a Barbie AR-15. I'll not waste $ on BUIS, so it's just the EOTech 1x sight with the 1 MOA dot. Otherwise, it's featureless. It's done in pink with white flowers and I want her to have the same fun as a kid with a gun like I had.

We have tea after shooting. I rather like my hat with the flower, think I'll wear it to work...

technique
02-16-2009, 8:31 PM
I bubba AKs too.....:D

SDgarrick
02-16-2009, 8:36 PM
You say that like there's something wrong with being like a little girl playing dress up. ;)

For my little girl, I have a Barbie AR-15. I'll not waste $ on BUIS, so it's just the EOTech 1x sight with the 1 MOA dot. Otherwise, it's featureless. It's done in pink with white flowers and I want her to have the same fun as a kid with a gun like I had.

We have tea after shooting. I rather like my hat with the flower, think I'll wear it to work...

That's quite thoughtful of you. I had my "own" gun when I was a young boy too.

Blue
02-16-2009, 8:38 PM
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.

:rofl2:

Sad but true!!

yellowfin
02-16-2009, 8:42 PM
Forward grips actually do help me shoot better than just holding the magwell--and except for 10/30's which I see as a bastardization and refuse to humiliate myself in making--in this state I'm not having much to grip there. Aimpoint/EOtech/whatever is a functional part of the system. They WORK. No squinting down and tunnel visioning on irons or traditional scopes like a 3-9x40. If I want to narrow my world into the tiny fraction of an inch and absolutely nothing else I'm not picking up a poodle shooter, sorry, just like if I want to hit a golf ball it isn't going to be with a tennis racket.

till44
02-17-2009, 4:57 AM
To each his own, find what works for you. I find that the more I train with a FVG and optics the quicker I get at target acquisition and follow up shots.

BroncoBob
02-17-2009, 5:17 AM
I thought it was to take a 6.5 lb rifle and make it 9+ pounder.

GrayWolf09
02-17-2009, 6:21 AM
I think the AR has 2 great appeals:

1) Every Tom, Dick, and Gray Wolf can swap out any of the parts, receivers, barrels etc. and trick it out any way he or she wants.

2) You can put a lot of lead down the barrel in a short period of time.

BTW I do not want an AR like I had in the military. I had the first generation M-16 and that thing hated me and all lefties.

What's wrong with looking good? Don't aesthetics matter?

:13:

forynot
02-17-2009, 6:55 AM
It’s the American way bigger is better but you can tell the noobs at the range from the guys who use there rifles for competition and hunting you see those guys (the noobs) coming a mile away with there rifles that only come out of the safe maybe three times a year to impress there friends I just look and laugh thinking… There’s the American dream in all its Glory:rofl2:

WokMaster1
02-17-2009, 9:28 AM

No wonder I feel like Jet Li in one of John Woo's movies everytime I touch my "M4".;):D

OP, think of it this way. It's AR owners way of stimulating the economy. :)

bohoki
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
yea i think tackleberry even has the sense to not put a bipod,fowardgrip,flashlight,laser,scope,holosight, holosightmagnifier,flip up backup sights, all at the same time

chris
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
i have rails, forward grip and flashlight. and i do take my kit to the range sometimes. i do not get to train like i did in Iraq at home. my unit is stupid like that so when i go to the range and i take my AR i train up a bit to keep the skill. it is a perishable skill. but yep there some guys that go pretty far.

but to each his own on this.

Charliegone
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, I pretty much use everything on my ar except for the phantom flash hider. God knows why I bought it. I just added some things on mine for ergonomics (like a cheek riser, forward pistol w/ rails, optics and back up sights).

lrdchivalry
02-17-2009, 8:13 PM
I think you are ALMOST dead on. It can not have an illuminator or be a magnified ELECTRONIC scope. IF you were to have some sort of conventional scope mounted behind or in front of a non-magnifying NV device, I believe, it would still be legal. Then again, I am not a lawyer or there may be case law against what I am saying and I could easily be wrong.

Originally Posted by California Department of Justice
468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

Just curious.. The above post by CA DOJ states that it has to both project an infrared light source AND be an electronic telescope in order to be illegal. If it is just a NV scope with no IR illuminator then it should be legal correct?

HonorThe2nd
02-17-2009, 8:50 PM
here's mine

andrewj
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
here's mine

I normally dont like to throw out the laugh out loud phrase very often but this time, LOL!

bill104
02-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm Happy with what I have, 16"Heavy Carbine, flat top, 6 Postion butt, with a bipod, ans since I can't see anymore I use a short range tac scope, and also have a sweet 22 3x12x40 rifle scope, nether of which is ever mounted at the same time :). really the only thing I use thets just for looks, is a 10-20 rd mag, just cuss in my opinion, those 10 rds mags look stupid to me, and because i like the 20 rd look, I just bought 3 10-30 mags, just for looks, other then that my ar is all about putting lead down range, so I could care less what any one thinks of it, as long as I continue to have tight groups from 25 yards to 500 yards I'm happy. so you guys keep tricking out your stuff cuss I like those cool pictures.

paintballergb
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I blame airsoft guns. You can buy one of them and it comes with all sorts of weird things. Adding stuff to your rifle IS cool........to a certain degree. Adding stuff=cool, too much stuff=tool.

rips31
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
some of the bells and whistles are necessary. i'm building a lightweight carbine for the woman and she's needs the 6pos stock for adjustment. she's not keen on the whole iron sights-thing (even though she can shoot well with irons), so eotech will most likely be the way to go for her. beyond that, she likes the thought of the forward grip, but isn't sold on it.

my spr has the quad rails, but i bought my upper off someone with those already installed. i only use it for the bipod. but i'd much prefer those smooth handguards with the tiny rail on the bottom for the bipod.

stag6.8
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I dont really care if the rifle is all tacticool....its thier money.....as long as they`re using all quality equipment on thier rifles...no chinese knockoff crap. also, If there spending all that money for all that gear, I would hope they donate a few bucks to the NRA and to the calguns foundation to help fight to get our rights like the free states back.

Seesm
03-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I say keep it simple and don't be stupid!!!

Josh3239
03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I use free float rails because the front sight is ugly and outdated. Plus the gas block is ugly too.

I use a vertical foregrip because it is a more natural way to hold it and allows better control of the rifle.

I use a retractable stock because I like having different options for the LOP. I have only used a full stock AR once for about a mags worth of shooting so I don't have much to compare it to.

I use an optic because I like it and it is easier to shoot with it.

Do you want to know why I like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and pistol grips to or have you decided against supporting the next AWB?

cesboze
03-09-2009, 9:10 PM
here's mine

Wasn't this the gun eddie murphy used in Beverly Hills cop 2? :D

herburt
03-09-2009, 9:25 PM
I STARTED with a plain jane AR, but I wanted to add a bipod and didn't want to mess up the sling swivel attachment point to do it. So I got a quad rail, then I got a scope. I am planning a build where I will have a light or a green laser of some sort with an eotech. If some guy had all of that on one AR I might question why, but I don't look at the guys with the plain ones and ask why. If you can outshoot the guys with all the doodads then more power to you.

Manic Moran
03-09-2009, 9:35 PM
I think an optic of some sort isn't really 'tacticooling' the rifle, it's just a shooting aid. I'm no fan of forward grips, I'm afraid, but if people find it's more ergonomic to shoot for them, go for it.

On the other hand, I'm only really tricking out one of my rifles. I'm putting a flashlight on it in addition to the optics. Most of my firearms are really just for the joy of shooting, but I've got one rifle set up for practical 'in case I really need a rifle' work. In which case, the light actually does, to my mind, have some uses.

NTM

CALI-gula
03-10-2009, 1:09 AM
So I guess what I'm asking is why DO YOU put all that stuff on your AR when you'll never use it?

I don't.

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Simply...becasue you can.

bohoki
03-10-2009, 2:24 PM
Simply...becasue you can.

hmm no i think it is like mount everest

because it is there

bowfin
03-10-2009, 7:31 PM
I think most people tend to overaccessorize due to lack of experience of what is worth the extra money, weight, and complexity.

When I started turkey hunting, I looked like some sort of refugee carrying all of his worldly posessions through the woods. Gradually, as I gained experience and had success, I shed equipment to the point that everything can fit in my pockets. Same thing with tackleboxes for fisherman. You carry the kitchen sink until you find out it has no practical use.

I think if most guys had to carry and maintain their AR "platforms" for a month in hunting or combat conditions, a lot of bells and whistles would come off.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Simply...because you can.

+1

Don't need a better reason than that.

devildog999
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I have a vertical forward grip because I have better control of the rifle. I can keep it tighter in the shoulder when shooting. I have an EOTech because it doesn't have to be magnified and is faster to adjust than iron sights. Also fast er target acquisition IMHO. I have a MIAD grip because I like the feel and grip better. I have rail covers for no snags, cuts or what not. The things on my rifle have a purpose. Didn't just buy them for the "cool" factor.

Lancear15
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
If you can't master firing an A2 with iron sights, all that other crap is not going to make a bit of difference in real life except that you get to carry a heavier gun.

So I guess all the troops in Iraq are just going for the cool factor with there fancy EOTech, ACOG and Surefires. Ask them if it makes a difference. My guess is you haven't talked to anyone who has been in modern day combat. IR lasers, IR goggles & scopes, cutting edge optics and high power light weight flashlights are 100% needed to open cans of whoop @$$ at the level our military does.

Some of us believe that being prepared for the most extreme situations might just get you out alive. This "crap" actually gives you a tactical advantage "IN REAL LIFE" and that is indisputable.

mecam
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Why do we "Bubba" out our AR's?

Cause hot chicks dig it and can help you get laid. :thumbsup:

ajaffe
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Have you ever used a forward vertical grip mounted where it is intended to be mounted? I was skeptical before I used one, and my offhand groups were improved a lot because the added control I had over my rifle kept my sight picture constant after recoil.
As far as red dots and Eotechs go, why not? Some of us have horrible eyes and they make things easier.

My ARs are set up with forward vertical grips, plastic handguards with a rail section on them, and with an electronic aiming device of some sort. I do not see this as overkill, but some do.
By the same logic, I do not see automatic weapons and suppressors as overkill, but some do. I do not see semi automatic weapons as overkill, but some do. I do not see bolt actions as overkill, but some do. See where I am going with this?

tankerman
03-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I use free float rails because the front sight is ugly and outdated. Plus the gas block is ugly too.

I use a vertical foregrip because it is a more natural way to hold it and allows better control of the rifle.

I use a retractable stock because I like having different options for the LOP. I have only used a full stock AR once for about a mags worth of shooting so I don't have much to compare it to.

I use an optic because I like it and it is easier to shoot with it.

Do you want to know why I like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and pistol grips to or have you decided against supporting the next AWB?
Is opening your rifle and loading it through the top, "a more natural way" as well?

ajaffe
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
No, but using a bullet tip to drop my mag isn't too far away.

tankerman
03-25-2009, 1:11 PM
No, but using a bullet tip to drop my mag isn't too far away.Some folks prefer more than 10 rounds at a time.

ajaffe
03-25-2009, 1:14 PM
Then you wouldn't be top loading would you?
I would much rather have my features and have to use a tool to drop a mag 3x as much as you than to not have my features and still not be able to use anything over 10 rounds since I was only 14 when high caps were banned.
Remember, some folks are still new to this sport and enjoy the same things differently than you do.

Monte
03-25-2009, 4:39 PM
I think the AR has 2 great appeals:

1) Every Tom, Dick, and Gray Wolf can swap out any of the parts, receivers, barrels etc. and trick it out any way he or she wants.

+1 ... I like the fact that you can configure your rifle/carbine as you see fit.

I also like the fact that the AR is compact, fairly light, and fairly flat. So I won't be bubba'ing mine out too much. Just a 6-position stock, an Aimpoint, BUIS and some kind of rail to mount a light. Oh, and a decent sling.

Mazilla
03-25-2009, 4:50 PM
Some folks prefer more than 10 rounds at a time.

So do I, when nobody is looking. :thumbsup:

maxicon
03-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Let me guess - you're young, and your eyesight hasn't gone to hell. That's not a hit, many people were young once.

Likewise, many of us used to shoot very well indeed with iron sights, and are now not so good at it. I'm a big fan of iron sights, and didn't have optics for my first 40 years of shooting, but now, I've got lots of them, and they make a real difference.

I can still shoot with iron sights, but I can shoot a whole lot better with optics, especially an Eotech or red dot. The extra weight is well worth it to me. YMMV, as always, but remember there are people with different needs than you.

Clodbuster
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Really? I imagine when you tell the hot chicks how much all that stuff cost, they would turn around and go with the guy who spent that money instead to trick out their Hondas with more Type R stickers.

Clod

Cause hot chicks dig it and can help you get laid. :thumbsup:

Clodbuster
03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
A lot of shooters use a sling correctly to improve their off hand shots. Esp. the Army marksmanship unit...

Clod

Have you ever used a forward vertical grip mounted where it is intended to be mounted? I was skeptical before I used one, and my offhand groups were improved a lot because the added control I had over my rifle kept my sight picture constant after recoil.
As far as red dots and Eotechs go, why not? Some of us have horrible eyes and they make things easier.

My ARs are set up with forward vertical grips, plastic handguards with a rail section on them, and with an electronic aiming device of some sort. I do not see this as overkill, but some do.
By the same logic, I do not see automatic weapons and suppressors as overkill, but some do. I do not see semi automatic weapons as overkill, but some do. I do not see bolt actions as overkill, but some do. See where I am going with this?

Timberwolf
03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Some of us believe that being prepared for the most extreme situations might just get you out alive. This "crap" actually gives you a tactical advantage "IN REAL LIFE" and that is indisputable.

Classic

I think most people tend to overaccessorize due to lack of experience of what is worth the extra money, weight, and complexity.

I think if most guys had to carry and maintain their AR "platforms" for a month in hunting or combat conditions, a lot of bells and whistles would come off.

Ding, Ding, Ding . . . we have a winner

Clodbuster
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
They also hump around with 60+ pounds of equipment and train doing this all day long. And also have a squad of similiarly equiped SOLDIERS backing them up. You have a squad and a Hummer with a belt fed machine gun to back you up when the "extreme" situation pops up in your neighborhood?

Clod

So I guess all the troops in Iraq are just going for the cool factor with there fancy EOTech, ACOG and Surefires. Ask them if it makes a difference. My guess is you haven't talked to anyone who has been in modern day combat. IR lasers, IR goggles & scopes, cutting edge optics and high power light weight flashlights are 100% needed to open cans of whoop @$$ at the level our military does.

Lancear15
03-26-2009, 1:11 PM
Classic

Ding, Ding, Ding . . . we have a winner

You always have the option to take off and put on whatever the hell you want, IF you already own it before SHTF. Have all you "iron sight A2 is all you need" believers actually ever shot a red dot sight? the target acquisition is easily four times faster from a barrel low, non-cheek weld position. For a left eye, right hand dominant shooter(or even right and right) in a tactical situation there is no doubt its the ONLY choice to make.

I have shot 500 yards, 10 slow shots in a row, in the ten circle of standard Marine Corps 500 yard target with A2 iron sights prone w/ a sling before. So ya iron sights are great. But they can't even come close to cutting edge optics. I guess you wouldn't want the extra 20#s of hard plate armor or even a spectra/cordura vest on either. Bubba-ed out vs guy with bare A2... Bubba whoops his *** every time.

mif_slim
03-26-2009, 1:16 PM
I think as long as you have less stuff than these guys, you are probably ok.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/ke6guj/1badar15ah6.jpg
.:D

What the hell is that?!?

ajaffe
03-26-2009, 2:13 PM
A lot of shooters use a sling correctly to improve their off hand shots. Esp. the Army marksmanship unit...

Clod

And a lot of them use Vertical foregrips. Your point?

Clodbuster
03-26-2009, 4:27 PM
The vertical foregrip is redundant if you 'need' some sort of support to improve your groupings since you have a sling on your rifle. If you don't have a sling on a rifle you intend to take out on the field, that's another issue all together.
The vertical foregrip was intended to aid in controlling muzzle rise on fully automatic weapons, not semi-autos. Putting one on is more for looks than functionality.

Clod

And a lot of them use Vertical foregrips. Your point?

socalT
03-26-2009, 4:37 PM
fishing,hunting,cars,wifes,rifles..........I can catch a saltwater bass with a cane pole, but what the hey. All this is personal taste, functionality/looks, we could point counter point all day. BTW I am a noob to the ar 15 platform, and was drawn to it just because I can dress it up and play pretty with it.

ajaffe
03-26-2009, 5:15 PM
The vertical foregrip is redundant if you 'need' some sort of support to improve your groupings since you have a sling on your rifle. If you don't have a sling on a rifle you intend to take out on the field, that's another issue all together.
The vertical foregrip was intended to aid in controlling muzzle rise on fully automatic weapons, not semi-autos. Putting one on is more for looks than functionality.

Clod

With the amount of single point slings in use these days, I could definitely see the increased usage in VFGs.
And again, I do not need it to shoot better groups, I just happen to shoot better groups while using it due to the increased leverage I have to pull the rifle into my shoulder as well as reducing the amount of perceived muzzle flip.

Tons of things on the face of this planet were invented or found to be used for one purpose, but are equally suitable or better in some instances used for other purposes. The key here is the fact that what may work for you will not always work for other people, but to lambast those others is ludicrous.

Clodbuster
03-26-2009, 9:43 PM
Most shooters these days don't even know a sling is more than just something used for carrying a rifle. So yeah, you use whatever makes you a better shooter. To me it's like having a BUIS for your BUIS.

What I find ludicrous are people who bring their optioned out "battle rifle" to some outdoor run and gun match, and end up having to hold the rifle by the handguard or VFG because of all the $$$$ they spent on VFGs, collapsible stocks, Aimpoints and anything else they saw on the cover of the latest gun magazine, they forgot to shell out 30 bucks on a good sling. So many of the pics I see on this website of people's so-called SHTF rifles don't have a sling. As if in a crisis situation, you won't need both hands to do something else other than holding onto your precious gun. Not that I'm a sling nut :p

Clod

With the amount of single point slings in use these days, I could definitely see the increased usage in VFGs.
And again, I do not need it to shoot better groups, I just happen to shoot better groups while using it due to the increased leverage I have to pull the rifle into my shoulder as well as reducing the amount of perceived muzzle flip.

Tons of things on the face of this planet were invented or found to be used for one purpose, but are equally suitable or better in some instances used for other purposes. The key here is the fact that what may work for you will not always work for other people, but to lambast those others is ludicrous.

grammaton76
04-02-2009, 3:59 PM
So ya iron sights are great. But they can't even come close to cutting edge optics. I guess you wouldn't want the extra 20#s of hard plate armor or even a spectra/cordura vest on either. Bubba-ed out vs guy with bare A2... Bubba whoops his *** every time.

It depends on whether Bubba is a skilled shooter or not, or just compensating for a lack of skill by using gear. I've seen idiots with EOtechs who can't hit the broad side of the barn, who should go back to irons and work on fundamentals for a bit. Once they've got the fundamentals solid, no reason they can't go back to the EOtech. As they presently stand, I would bet on me with irons over those guys with EOtechs, for instance.

I own an EOtech, Aimpoint, and several scopes, however I shoot with my irons more because for the most part, my base skill level isn't high enough for the fancy gear to make a real improvement to my fundamentals. I can, however, bolt on all that happy stuff to let me shoot a bit better than I really am.

I just find the iron sights to be more conducive to improving basic skill and technique.

ajaffe
04-02-2009, 5:41 PM
The funny thing is I shoot better with irons than my EOtech or Strikefire since I am too lazy to zero them.

Vtec44
04-02-2009, 6:09 PM
I like my AR simple and light, iron sights, carrying handle, plastic handguards. Maybe the accessories are useful to others, or maybe they look cool. But hey, I'm not going to spend my time judging others on what they do with their own toys, to each their own. I just want to have fun, share a few tips, and learn a few things from others. :D

JohnBrian
04-02-2009, 8:17 PM

Clod
Technically true re FA.

However, I have one on my AR because I have arthritis (or carpal tunnel, the Dr's never decided) in both my wrists. The stiffiness & pain make it difficult for me to turn my hand into the proper position to hold the handguard. The vertical foregrip makes things much easier & pleasant. Plus it gives me a place to carry a spare bolt assembly in case of part breakage on the one in the rifle.

The only other accessory I have on my AR (and eventually on my FAL) is a red dot. I love these things! Super fast target acquistion even though it is a cheapie with a 1" tube but it co-witnesses with my sights. I'd like to get a Trijicon Reflex eventually. I also have a red dot (an Aimpoint PDP3) on my "stainless" 10/22 International.

I had a red dot on my AR before red dots on AR's were cool! :cool2:

I've had mine since 1992 or 93. Bought it as a stripped lower (Pac West Arms) & it's had various uppers on it over the years. Duly registered as an "Assault Weapon" so I don't need a bullet button. Has all the evil features on it including a bayonet lug (because I CAN, I don't even have a bayonet that will fit).

Pic of my AR (need to repaint the camo).

http://home.rr.com/jbls/IMG_0215.JPG

workinwifdakids
04-02-2009, 9:43 PM
I told my friend I was thinking of putting a laser on my AR.

He got a far-away stare and finally said, "You know, I think the laser has its place. You never know when you're going to have to give away your position."

:rofl2:

PS: I'm still getting a laser.

stormy_clothing
04-03-2009, 5:11 PM
I have a t-pod which works well for controlling the rifle and gives me a bipod when needed.

I have a green laser for night time aiming and for short distance day time.

both work very well and improve my shooting not replace it.

Though I can understand why some people also use a light I would rather use a green laser

glock_this
04-03-2009, 5:27 PM
NOTHING, in my eyes, ever comes correct stock out of the box and as is. everything needs a bit of moding and personalizing.

TheBundo
04-03-2009, 10:47 PM
I only put stuff on my guns I'm gonna use. With the exception of a few minor things such as..KNS pins, Enhanced trigger guard, and thats pretty much it.

Me too. I'd rather have more guns or ammo with the money

Wayneard3413
04-04-2009, 7:38 AM
I have caught some flack over the stuff on my rifle... That said, everything does serve a purpose

The very first time I shot from awkward positions (supine prone, urban prone, etc) and in low light I realized the true advantage to a red dot sight.. That's not to mention that they are simply faster to get a sight picture with

I have one of the Surefire M910 VFG/lights... Originally I wasn't sold on VFG's until I learned how to actually use one... It is simply a reference point, allowing a consistent spot for your support hand and makes it easier to pull the rifle back into your shoulder

As for the light function, the AR is my go to HD gun and it spends alot of time in the trunk... As such I need the ability to identify a threat

I also run a Redi-Mag as well... Just as you wouldn't leave the house with only the mag in your gun, it simply makes since to have a spare on the gun... It also significantly speeds up your reload

Now in the end does someone NEED all this stuff? No. But considering the possible use for this rifle I want every advantage possible... It's like Clint Smith says "Always cheat, always win" :thumbsup:

175_MPH_SS
04-05-2009, 6:59 PM
Eotech and Surefire... done deal.

swerv512
04-06-2009, 9:31 AM
A2 platform, no rails= done deal...

Knight
04-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I made sure that my first AR build was bone-stock just so I could avoid getting into this debate.

Though I would argue that using the term "Bubba," as in to Bubba a rifle, is misused in this case. To Bubba generally means taking a gun of some collector or historical value, then modifying it with modern, non-original parts. For example, Chopping down a Mosin and putting on a synthetic stock, or adding a scope rail cover to an SKS and using a red dot sight. ARs are designed to be modular. Therefore, I believe the correct term in this case would be "tacti-cool," as in, "Wow, you really tacti-cooled that AR."

grammaton76
04-06-2009, 1:00 PM
I told my friend I was thinking of putting a laser on my AR.

He got a far-away stare and finally said, "You know, I think the laser has its place. You never know when you're going to have to give away your position."

Lasers absolutely have a place - however, that place doesn't involve them being used all the time.

For me, I like lasers for low light HD apps. I'm pretty sure that a laser will add a few extra percentage points away from the "fight" option in the "fight or flight" equation running through a perp's head when you have one painted on him.

I sure as heck wouldn't be using one in battle, other than CQB where your location is already well established.

chris
04-06-2009, 7:06 PM
Lasers absolutely have a place - however, that place doesn't involve them being used all the time.

For me, I like lasers for low light HD apps. I'm pretty sure that a laser will add a few extra percentage points away from the "fight" option in the "fight or flight" equation running through a perp's head when you have one painted on him.

I sure as heck wouldn't be using one in battle, other than CQB where your location is already well established.

actually lasers are ok to use with Night Vision if you happen to have lasers we use in the Army. works really good and cannot be seen unless you have night vision.

darksands
04-06-2009, 7:31 PM
http://www.peterstuff.net/images/AR15.jpg

I like mine the way it is. Would like a more comfy stock and grip...

ar15robert
04-06-2009, 9:02 PM
To each their own.

I prefer irons sights and simplicity.But can care less what others do.But some look mean and tacticool.

chris
04-06-2009, 9:08 PM
i like rails on mine for use of a forward grip. it works for me. it depends on what you do. if you clear houses a light is always a plus. but there are things that are a must and it's not "tacticool". it's more weight on your weapon than anything else.

longrangehunter
05-16-2010, 11:16 AM

If you go to any other forums try gunandgame.com and check out ar15's for hunting deer. there are guys on there not just with ar15 but want to soup them up to mil grade SPR MK 262, same that special forces are using in afghanistan.

Josh3239
05-16-2010, 12:22 PM
First post and it revives a thread that has been dead for over a year...

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 1:09 PM
Hurt reliability and accuracy...
Not in all cases.
Free float quad rail or tube > plastic handguards for reduced barrel harmonics.
Basic red dot > BUIS
With a 1/3 lower co-witness and there's no loss of reliability, if the red dot fails, switch to irons.
Also, a laser on a CQB carbine used for home/property defense is an accuracy aid.
Flashlight, similar
Snag factor and lack of concealability...
Concealability? It's a rifle... if concealability is a concern, you brought the wrong gun :D
Bulk and weight...
Wasted money...
I'll give you those on a lot of builds.
No use for a laser or flashlight on a long range rifle.
A flare launcher fits that 100%. If you're out hunting, a simple marine flare gun in your backpack is a better signaling device.

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 1:13 PM
First post and it revives a thread that has been dead for over a year...
Damn.... got me :o

CSACANNONEER
05-16-2010, 1:58 PM
Out of 6-7 ARs I only have two that are flat tops (#7 is a stripped flat top upper that I need to build up). One of those is my 50BMG with a 8-32 NXS. The other one just has a Houge freefloat tube and a cheap red dot on it. I don't have a single tacticool rail, forward PG, flash light, etc. The more crap on a gun, the more possibilities of something failing when you need it.

Cokebottle
05-16-2010, 2:02 PM
Then again, your idea of the perfect gun is a metal tube with 2 wheels and a trailer hitch :D

bruceflinch
05-16-2010, 2:11 PM
Everyone is unique. I like my guns to be unique to me.

This may have been a Necropost, But I didn't have an AR when this trhead started!

hawk84
05-16-2010, 2:27 PM
apparently Im not cool enough

bare bones disappator....its heavy enough with the heavy barrel.......why would I add too it.....

I do have the detachable carry handle on there now
a 4x scope that mounts to that- currently detached
a red dot site that was given to me that can be put in place of the carry handle
and a 3-9x scope that fits nicely on it.......no mag locks, pistol grips, folding stocks, lights/lasers, quadrails

it does have a AK-74 brake......and I did work the trigger.......

Rob454
05-16-2010, 2:27 PM
Cause it's Tacti-cool.

This^^. I dont think i have one gun that has a bubba factor. The only one that I bubba'd out was my SKS but even that didn't last too long. i went back to the factory look. I guess im not prepared for a room take down

Teletiger7
05-16-2010, 2:30 PM
Because you like to accesorize.

Toast
05-16-2010, 2:54 PM
Because AR's are Barbies for men. That said mine is old school, cause I like to be different.

CSACANNONEER
05-17-2010, 5:15 AM
Then again, your idea of the perfect gun is a metal tube with 2 wheels and a trailer hitch :D

Yea, it sucks when it's time to buy a new car and two of the main concerns is if it will tow a gun and/or if it's big enough to fit my little 50BMGs in it.

Coltlover
05-18-2010, 2:12 AM
Just built my first AR and now you got me thinking if I really need that acog...

patriot_man
05-18-2010, 7:00 AM
I don't understand people who pit all this money down to accesorize their rifle and keep it in the safe. Don't get me wrong but I think it's just absurd to keep all of it in a safe and rarely use it. I do have rifles that are seriously tricked out but I use them and don't care if there is a little scratch or blemish from use. It's a tool and I treat it like one.

mif_slim
05-18-2010, 8:17 AM
All my builds are plane jane. Not fancy stuff. I've had times where we walk up to our targets and guys with 30 lbs of unessasary things on their rifle looks at my 1" groups compared to their 12" groups and see that the bells and whissles wont shrink your groups.

KracknCorn
05-18-2010, 7:33 PM
It's their money, let them have fun with their guns. Sometimes u just need to get the tactical stuff out of your system.

dirtnap
05-18-2010, 7:36 PM
mine is in my avitar, short and sweet....not to mention light weight so I can actually hold it for hours on end.