PDA

View Full Version : A Saturday evening range event in San Jose?

Asphodel
02-15-2009, 4:56 PM
Hello, Calguns people,

Would anyone be interested in attending an indoor range training/practice event at the old San Jose 10th St. indoor range, on the second Saturday of each month, from 5-ish PM til 8-ish/9-ish or so?

The situation is this. I'm on the board of the Santa Clara Valley Rifle Club, which manages the City-owned facility. Since a couple of former shooting activities closed down, we have the range available on a couple of Saturday evenings each month.

I'd like to use the open range time for some 'public outreach'.....if nothing else, to get any local resident who chooses to have or carry a gun to have a chance for some basic training and practice, in a friendly and welcoming ambiance.

Would anyone care to organise a womens' group, for a Saturday evening?

I'll provide use of the range, for free, for the first two months, and, if enough people are interested to form some sort of loose-knit group, we'd ask a range rent of $25 for the evening, for the entire group. (basically, a few $ to help with the power/phone bills and other range maintenence expenses, cost of targets, etc.....we're non-profit)

The historic old San Jose range is rather 'stark', to be sure, compared to Reed's or Target Masters. We don't rent guns or sell ammunition. (there's never been a suicide or accidental gunshot wound in the last half-century at 10th St, and I intend to 'maintain the tradition' so to speak)

22 rifles are welcome (and some centre-fire rifles/carbines with low-power 'gallery loads'), and any handgun, except that heavy magnums must use medium power target loads (38 Spl in 357, 44 Spl in 44 mag, etc., and 45ACP may use any bullet type other than military hard ball.)

The 'up side'?......low cost, as compared to the local commercial ranges, and, simply, I'd like to help provide a friendly, welcoming, enjoyable shooting event for nice people.

When I say 'womens' event', I don't have a problem, myself, with husbands, boy-friends, sons, etc., by invitation.....but I'd like to leave that choice to anyone who would care to become an event organiser. Equally, I'd have no problem with a 'women only' event, if that would be preferred.

Interested?

Give me an e-mail carla@tactical-link.com

cheers

Carla

LG1980
02-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I just posted something to the same effect. Santa Clara in general is a bit far for me, but I'm willing to go once a month if there are others interested! Carla, feel free to PM me and it would be great to meet you or with a group.

howard81
02-20-2009, 7:59 PM
Hi Carla,

I'm local to the San Jose area. My girlfriend and I would be interested in attending this kind of event. If it became a regular event she would be willing to lend time to help organize it.

Asphodel
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
hello, LG, and Howard,

The old San Jose range is easy to find. The address is 1580 South Tenth St., in San Jose, between Alma Ave., and the County fairgrounds. Take the 10th St. South exit from the 280 freeway. The range is on the left if you are southbound on 10th St., just past the fancy new city ice skating arena.

I'll be minding the range for the 'public hours' on the second Saturday (the 14th) of the coming month.

The 'public hours' time ends at 5PM, and I'll be keeping the range open until 8 or 9PM for anyone who would like to visit and discuss this proposed 'Saturday evening event'. (and to do some shooting, if you'd like, since you'd be at the range anyway)

Obviously, I have to maintain necessary, common-sense range safety standards and procedures, but, past that, how could/should an evening at the indoor range be set up to provide a comfortable and enjoyable experience, in your opinion?

For example, I've no problem with firing shotguns, with birdshot or buck, at the indoor range, and its possible to make a 'running target' setup.

Reactive targets, such as silhouettes or swinging plates, could be brought in, altho they should be limited to fairly low-powered lead-bullet rounds, to prevent any possibility of bullet 'bounce-back'.

Alternatively, I'd have no problem with limiting fire to standard paper targets, if thats what the range users or an event organiser would prefer.

(I do have one minor bit of 'agenda', personally, in that I'd like to see 'first time or 'newbie' shooters' be encouraged to learn about firearms safety and basic proficiency skills in a friendly, welcoming ambiance......particularly women who might feel 'insecure' or 'intimidated' about going to some of the commercial ranges)

cheers

Carla

howard81
02-21-2009, 9:00 PM
Hello all,
Sounds good. My girlfriend and I will visit and join the discussion - and perhaps some shooting. =) Thank you for puttling this event together

Dr. Peter Venkman
02-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Definitely interested and I will see if I can bring my GF. Is the test run next month?

Asphodel
03-07-2009, 3:30 AM
Hello, Dr. Venkman,

Yes, the 'Second Saturday range evening' event will be held at the 10th St. range, beginning at 5PM on the 14th, one week from today.

Now, when I say 'event', I'm hoping to provide the venue for an on-going social event of some sort, to attract some number of nice, friendly folks who have an interest in shooting, and would enjoy an evening of plinking at the range.

As I've said, my own preference would be for an emphasis on attracting new shooters, particularly women and young people, by structuring a comfortable and pleasant ambiance in which to learn firearms safety and basic proficiency.

The 'Second Saturday' event could evolve, as the days grow longer, and the weather becomes nicer, into a social event with a barbecue set up on a picnic table outside the range, a nice way for people of the 2nd Amendment demographic to meet for coffee/munchies and conversation, as well as a bit of plinking......or serious target practice, as may be preferred.

Basically, the 'event' could be, within the obvious limits of standard range safety procedures, pretty much anything the attendees, as a group, might like it to be.

(It would be nice, from my point of view, if someone would care to become an 'event organiser', and let me concentrate on instructing newbies in the necessary range safety issues.)

As an example, I personally think it might be nice to try to re-create a little bit of an old style 'shooting gallery' ambiance, with reactive targets for the 22's, for those who are too young to have ever seen a traditional 'shooting gallery'.

cheers

Carla

frigginchi
03-08-2009, 7:41 AM
Hey pretty neat :)

E4one8
03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi

I was just wondering what the name of the range is? This sounds very interesting and I would like to see how it goes on the first day.

thank you

Asphodel
03-09-2009, 2:09 AM
The facility is generally just called the '10th Street Range' or 'the old San Jose City range'. The official name is the "San Jose Municipal Firing Range", which is posted on a wooden sign board in front of the building. The address and directions are in a posting above.

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
03-13-2009, 4:17 PM
Hello, all.

Just a reminder, the first 'second Saturday San Jose range evening' will be happening tomorrow, beginning at 5PM......the directions, etc., are above.

If anyone would be willing to bring up a brick or two of 22, I'd appreciate.....if you can see your way clearly to donate some 22 rounds for the young people, that would be nice, but If $ are short, and you'd prefer to be paid back for the cost of the rounds, no problem, I'll take care of that.

If you have any reactive targets you could bring, which would be safe for 22's on a 50 foot indoor range, please, please, bring them......I'm working on arranging the loan of a battery-powered shooting-gallery moving target system....little ducks, etc., on a conveyor arrangement......but we won't be able to have this unit available by tomorrow evening.

Do you have cartooning skills? If so, make up some cute cartoon animal targets, just for amusement.

If you could bring a little camp stove, coffee-pot, coffee, styrofoam cups, and maybe some sort of soft drinks/snack munchies, we'd be grateful.

Most importantly, bring any young friends or friends who are 'newbies' to shooting. The 'outreach' is primarily for those people. We want them to learn firearms safety, of course, but also to have an enjoyable range experience.

I'll be bringing a few of my old Winchester 22 rifles, for the 'shooting gallery' tradition, and a couple of target grade 22 rifles, for anyone who would like to try some serious target practice. I'll bring my old Smith K22, and my old Smith 38 speckle, with some small amount of wad-cutter target rounds.

We'll have to improvise some sort of 'time-sharing' on the line between young folks with 22's and those who wish to fire centre-fire handguns, so that everyone has a chance to get in some of the type of shooting they prefer.

I've arranged for a couple of Rifle Club people to help, so a couple of experienced people will be available on the line for instruction/coaching for 'newbies'.

Added on edit......I'm going to have someone posted near the range door to inspect firearms as they are brought to the range, but only to make certain that they are unloaded, and in a 'show safe' configuration, i. e. actions open, detachable magazines out, etc.

For those who are safe, experienced shooters, this might seem a little 'demeaning'......understand, I don't mean to suggest anything negative about you.......but we could have some totally inexperienced people showing up with their weapons, and we need to be very careful about reassuring everyone regarding any possible range safety issues. Please be nice about this, and please remind any young or newbie friends that its very important that they never accidentally allow a muzzle to point at or near a human being.

cheers

Carla

frigginchi
03-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Can't make this one, I'll try next time if there is one. I'll have several guns that people can try out :)

Gio
03-14-2009, 3:27 PM
I posted on the other forum section you posted. I am available today, and will be bringing my Walther P22-CA Target and AR with a .22 upper along with ammo. I do not mind lending them out or even showing people how to opertae them. I was able to do the same thing last Saturday with a newcomer tat was 14yo or so, and seeing the smile on his face made it all that much better. I will also be bringing my .45 Kimber if I can get a few shots in with that I will be really happy.

Hope to see some newcomers out tonight, and also meet some new people as well. I have more then enough .22 for today, and will even be more then happy to spread the wealth if needed. I kinda bought the last 5 boxes of Remington 525 boxes from my local Big 5 yesterday :D

-Gio

howard81
03-16-2009, 8:58 PM
This event was great! Thank you for putting it together Carla.

Gio
03-16-2009, 9:09 PM
This event was great! Thank you for putting it together Carla.

Oops, I forgot to post up here. Went home had dinner and passed out :D Thanks again Carla for throwing this event, hope to make it out to future Special Events with you guys again.

Howard that Glock 19 of yours is uber sweet :thumbsup: Thanks for giving me a go at it :D Now I have Glock Fever ;)

-Gio

howard81
03-17-2009, 5:06 PM
Ha not a problem buddy see you next event

RogueSniper
04-12-2009, 1:01 AM
That was fun tonight, though I didn't shoot much - mostly reloading the mags. But my sister had fun! We'll see you folks at the next event if we can make it. I'll bring my 10/22, again, but in a different configuration. That match barrel was a bit too heavy.

Thanks, Asphodel!

-RogueSniper & The Evil One (my Sis)http://www.punisherspb.com/images/categories/evil-paintball-marker-gun-logo.jpg

dachan
04-12-2009, 8:20 PM
Hi Carla,
Can you define "gallery loads"? I've never been allowed to shoot a centerfire firearm with a barrel greater than 10" at the 10th St range. It would be great if that were possible if I were to load up some "gallery loads".

RogueSniper
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Carla,

Are we still on for May 9th?

Asphodel
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Hello, Rogue and dachan,

Yes, we're 'on' for 9 May, hope to see you there.....I've been promised some 'reaction' type 'fun targets' for the 22's.....hope that really happens.

dachan, a 'gallery load' is a lead bullet round loaded down to the actual muzzle energy of a handgun.

This is a safety issue.

The old range has an early style of steel backstop, which was the standard or usual range setup "back in the day" when most range use was either 22's or handguns with lead 'wad-cutter' type target rounds.

We won't allow 45ACP mil-spec hardball rounds, as they will sometimes 'bounce-back'.....this is rare, but it has happened. No one has been injured yet, and we need to keep it that way.

There is a confusing designation for some 45 and 9MM bullets. 'FMJ' or 'full metal jacket' means mil-spec hardball, which isn't acceptable, but 'TMJ' or 'total metal jacket', means a bullet with fairly thick copper plating, which doesn't create a hazard, so it is acceptable. Some 45 and 9MM bullets are difficult to distinguish visually, so a simple test is to scratch the bullet with a knife blade, or touch it with a file.

If the bullet is TMJ, the copper plating is easily scratched through, to the lead underneath. A FMJ mil-spec hardball requires several strokes of a sharp file to cut through the jacket.

A rifle bullet in the, say, 7.62x39 class will damage the steel backstop, and the danger of injury from a ricochet or bounce-back is a serious consideration with a jacketed bullet, particularly a mil-spec ball type, at rifle velocities.

Some of the high-velocity jacketed 17's will ricochet unpredictably when striking the old steel backstop, so we just don't dare take any chances with those, either.

Pure or hardened lead, plated lead, or any jacketed bullet with exposed lead nose, are safely trapped, and don't cause any risk of hazard to range users.

My primary concern is one of safety to the range users, obviously, but we also need to be certain that any rounds fired there are no stronger in terms of actual impact than are the 44spl or 45 long Colt class of rounds, so that we don't damage the steel plates.

What caliber of rifle, and what loading, have you in mind?

cheers

Carla

cousinkix1953
04-24-2009, 1:00 AM
The markings on military surplus 9mm Luger and .45 ACP are quite different from commercial FMJ too. People might be wise to bring their ammo in the factory boxes which are marked with info about those loads too...

RogueSniper
05-04-2009, 8:05 PM
I'm bringing three new shooters, plus me.

Last time I brought a brick of .22, I'll bring food this time - it's cheaper than ammo! :p

Can I shoot a:
(1) 45 Long Colt, 250gr Lead Round Nose Flat Point, shooting out of a SA Derringer, 2 1/2 barrel
(2) 32 H&R Magnum, 100gr Lead Semi Wad Cutter, shooting out of a SA Ruger, 4" barrel
I'm almost certain the velocity isn't going be high enough to cause any backstop damage. It's your call, Carla - it's your range.

Otherwise, I'm still bringing:
Ruger 10/22, semi auto (.22)
Marlin 39A, lever action (.22)
plus .40, 9mm, and .380.

Asphodel
05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi, Rogue,

The 22 ammo donation is greatly appreciated......as you've seen, the 'newbies' burn a lot of 22......and this is one of the main parts of this project, giving new shooters a chance to get some training/experience, in a friendly, welcoming range ambience.......as well as having a nice social event for 2A folks generally.

The 45 and the 32 mag will be just fine.

Have you an old Colt single action in 45 long Colt?......if not, e-mail to remind me, and I'll bring mine......everyone should have a chance for some 'familiarisation fire' with an real Colt single action, sometime or another..... : )

(I'd really prefer that the newbies do 22 mostly, but a 'fun shoot' wouldn't be as much fun without some of the more interesting stuff, right?)

The important thing is that we don't use any load/bullet combination which could create any hazard of ricochet or 'bounce-back'. Lead and lead-tipped bullets deform or break up harmlessly and slide down into the sand-pit.

Bringing some food would be appreciated, what sort of 'munchies' might you have in mind?

We're planning to bring the little barbecue again, and bring hot dogs/Polish sausage as we did last month. Unfortunately, our friend who did the barbecuing won't be able to attend this month.....family event commitment.....so if you and/or your friends could help a bit with the barbecuing, I'd appreciate........ : )

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
05-05-2009, 2:09 AM
The 45 and the 32 mag will be just fine.

Have you an old Colt single action in 45 long Colt?......if not, e-mail to remind me, and I'll bring mine......everyone should have a chance for some 'familiarisation fire' with an real Colt single action, sometime or another..... : )

(I'd really prefer that the newbies do 22 mostly, but a 'fun shoot' wouldn't be as much fun without some of the more interesting stuff, right?)

I'll bring a box of 45 Long Colt. Bring your Colt! I'll email you a reminder.

I'll bring my Vaquerito in 32 H&R Magnum! It's a little pipsqueek when shooting 32 S&W Long, maybe a little more of boom in Magnum? :43:

Bringing some food would be appreciated, what sort of 'munchies' might you have in mind?

We're planning to bring the little barbecue again, and bring hot dogs/Polish sausage as we did last month. Unfortunately, our friend who did the barbecuing won't be able to attend this month.....family event commitment.....so if you and/or your friends could help a bit with the barbecuing, I'd appreciate........ : )

I'll bring one of my little Smokey Joes for the BBQ. I'll have dig around for some charcoal. I know I have some in the shed. If I bring the little bbq, can I leave it at the Range as a donation? I haven't had much use of one for years since getting the gas grill.

As for some good grinds, I'll have to think about that one. Something messy always comes to mind ... :thumbsup:

We can play some BlackJack or Poker on the Range. Winning hand gets a prize! Usually I play Tic-Tac-Toe with called shots. Who's bringing a pie this time?

Asphodel
05-05-2009, 4:30 PM
Hi, Rogue, Howard, Gio, and whomever else might be interested in making a nice event of this coming Sat. evening,

As you've seen, we're having to 'play it by ear' so to speak, to get the event organised, so I thought I'd throw out an idea for discussion.

I just talked with another experienced shooter, who will be bringing some newbies, so we may have some number of newbies to work with.

How about......could we plan on the first two hours (or some amount of time) at the beginning of the event being 'newbies time', in which we stay with 22's ,to keep the noise level down, and have one experienced shooter coaching each newbie? Its a bit more difficult to explain basic shooting to a newbie with 45's being fired just a few feet away (or even 9's doing rapid-fire, for that matter)

My 'neck is in the noose' with the Rifle Club, if any newbie does something which might be a safety issue, and/or makes someone unhappy/insecure/frightened......so it would make me feel more comfortable to know that every newbie was getting personal instruction/supervision from an experienced shooter....I'd really prefer that any newbie show some reasonable understanding of range safety issues and show some reasonable proficiency with a 22 before firing anything heavier.

Then, later in the evening, could be 'big kids time', in which we bring up the 9's, 40's, 45's, shotguns, etc., to the line, and 'do some shooting'......including, of course, familiarisation fire, under supervision, with heaver weapons by such newbies as may be interested.

Could we make this work smoothly and easily without seeming 'regimented'......some reasonable balance between basic training for the 'newbies' and a 'fun event' for everyone?

Or.......well, what do you think? I'm open to any good ideas, just don't want the event to seem 'chaotic'.....

cheers

Carla

howard81
05-05-2009, 8:46 PM
Hi everyone I can't wait this sat. shooting event. How do you guys feel some oysters for the bbq? If enought people can handle it I will bring a bag ( 50-60 ). Alice just pick up a mossberg 500 that thing is almost as tall as she is it will be intresting to see her shoot.

Howard

Asphodel
05-06-2009, 2:00 AM
Hi, Howard,

I don't think oysters would be a good idea for the event. They are a delicacy which many would appreciate, but there are too many people who could have shellfish allergies and not know it.

If we just had one person have a bad reaction, that could be a real problem for the event. I checked with my partner, who is a retired City management person, and she said that oysters or clams would not be allowed at any City event for that reason.

Would chicken parts, such as thighs, be an acceptable barbecue item for you? Chicken thighs are a convenient 'munchie' size, and good with a nice spicy barbecue sauce. Spicy chicken wings might be a nice 'munchie' as well.

We will have to remind everyone that after eatiing anything, particularly anything with the least bit of salt, to wash their hands well to remove any trace of salt before handling any guns, so we won't risk salt rust spots.

Do you have a neighbourhood bakery which makes really high quality pies, and, if so, could you get a really nice pie, such as, say, a banana cream or.....well....whatever their best pie might be....for the winner of the pie shoot event? (we'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie)

added on edit......The Mossberg 500 should be fun.......I'll bring a couple of shotguns as well, the M97 we had there last month, and an Ithica 20" riot. I can cut up some large cardboard boxes, to be the targets which will be 'shredded'......could someone bring felt pens and do some cartoon characters.....zombies, aliens, or whatever.....on them?

cheers

Carla

howard81
05-06-2009, 4:08 AM
Hi carla,

Sounds good will bring some other bbq items.

Howard

RogueSniper
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm good for teaching newbies. Are we teaching them with .22 rifles AND pistols or rifles only?

Carla - Do you have list of guidelines that you want us to follow when instructing? Safety, of course. What other bits?

And, I'm bringing chicken wings and my Smokey Joe.

Asphodel
05-06-2009, 1:12 PM
Hi, Rogue, and everyone.....

I really appreciate your willingness to help with newbies......when or whether any particular newbie should be considered ready to progress from 22 rifle, to 22 handgun, and/or to the 9MM/38spl/45 handgun level will be your decision to make, according to your reasonable opinion when instructing/supervising the newbie. Don't ever let anyone fire any weapon if your opinion is that they aren't ready/able to handle it safely.

If you feel insecure, for any good reason, about any particular newbie, remember that you are empowered to disarm the newbie, and even take the newbie off the line if you feel that particular newbie may be a safety hazard......If you do run across a dangerously unsafe newbie, and make that decision, I'll stand behind you.

I have the impression that you have a good basic understanding of common-sense range safety issues.....if you feel that one or another specific range procedure should be used in this event, here and now is the time to discuss it........we have to make the newbies feel safe and secure, and also to ensure that you, and other experienced shooters, are feeling equally safe and secure.

An event like this one will depend, for its success, on people like you who are interested in having the event work well for everyone.......we have to improvise the balance between providing instruction for the newbies, practicing instructor/coaching/supervisory abilities for the experienced shooters who are willing to help, and just generally having an enjoyable experience at the range.

Its not worth doing if it isn't an enjoyable event for everyone, but, as you know, any live-fire event has to be run ever so carefully......so we improvise the balance in which we can have the most enjoyment without taking any risks with safety issues.

cheers

Carla

mrboma
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Carla,
I was watching your thread in the wrong forum. Really glad to see your still having the event. I plan to be there this Saturday with a buddy and his son. My wife is out of town (and bummed). My targets will not be done by Saturday night :( . The machinist I am working with got really busy and my project got shelved. I will do my best to bring what I have to shoot and shoot at. Anything else you need?
Regards,
Mike

Maybe I missed it, but is FMJ 9mm ok to bring and shoot after the .22 shooting is finished?

Asphodel
05-07-2009, 1:35 PM
Hi, Mike,

Would you be willing to take charge of finding a really high quality pie, from a good bakery, for the 'pie shoot' prize?

(the prize is 'on us', so we'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie, we just want to get a really best quality one from a good bakery.....probably a banana cream pie, but not necessarily.....if you know of a bakery which does another 'premium grade' sort of pie, that would be wonderful......theory is, the winner can choose between taking the pie home for their family, or cutting it and sharing it out with the other event participants.....or cutting little slices for the participants and taking half of it home, whatever)

We did the first iteration of the pie shoot last month, in which the participants fired on a standard ten-bull smallbore target at 50' range, ten shots, best five counted for score. In the first iteration, I had every shooter use the same 22 rifle, and rounds from the same brick, so the only variable was the shooter him/herself.

This time, I'm thinking that it might be better to allow use of any iron-sight 22 rifle. (or handgun, for the really really good shots for whom such a 'handicap' would be the challenge level needed to make it 'fair') I'll provide the use of my old match 22 to anyone who hasn't a 22 of their own, or they could choose to use one of the others which would be available.

Past that, if you'd care to provide some 22 rounds for the newbies, make up some 'cartoon zombie' targets on cardboard pieces we'll bring, help with the barbecue, or whatever else will make the event enjoyable for everyone, we'd appreciate.

As I'd said earlier, we'll provide the range and the barbecue (apparently, someone else will be bringing a second small barbecue also)......and I'll have to supervise the line when under live fire.......so, basically, the event will be whatever the participants care to make of it......ane we'll keep it going until everyone has had a chance to get in some of the type of shooting they'd prefer.

Now, about the 9MM hardball.......the only bounce-backs I personally know of have been with 45ACP hardball, and 45 hardball is 'verboten' for that reason.......I don't know for any certainty whether 9MM hardball would be likely to have the same potential, but, if we were to have a bounce-back, and it struck a young person, that could be the sort of incident which could have us shut down.

My impression is that the risk of a bounce-back with 9MM is pretty low, but some other Rifle Club members have said that they've seen it happen.

Given all that, I'd say that we really shouldn't take any chances, particularly during an event in which there are likely to be a lot of people at or behind the line.

Would you be able to get some TMJ, JHP, or semi-wad-cutter 9MM rounds?

If not, I'd think it probable that someone else will be bringing some suitable 9MM rounds you could use.

cheers

Carla

mrboma
05-07-2009, 1:47 PM
Carla,
The pie is no problem at all. Gayle's Bakery is just down the way and they make the best pie's I have ever had. I will pick one up on Friday evening. I have a ton of .22 rounds to bring, most of which I choose not too fire through my plinkers, that can be used for the event. I also have some cardboard saved up from my flat screen TV box (huge) for targets if needed, just let me know.

If I can find some lead rounds in the ammo bunker I will bring them for the 9mm and leave all the FMJ at home. If not, .22's are fine with me. We will be bringing 3 .22 rifles and 1 .22 pistol.

No worries on the range duties either, I would have no problem assisting you.
Looking forward to it.
Regards,
Mike

leggsman
05-07-2009, 5:46 PM
Carla
I missed the last month shoots like to come to this Sat.I don t have a newbie to bring but i can bring a couple of .22 riffles and pistol and a .22lr reactive target .I can also donate a box of .22lr ammo.I have to work till 4:30 will be going there after work
Tom

Asphodel
05-07-2009, 6:05 PM
Mike,

Thank you for taking care of getting the pie......... : )

Bringing some large pieces of cardboard for shotgun targets would be nice......if we can find someone to cartoon them a bit, that would be a cute touch.....only catch is that we mustn't do human figures....its a 'political correctness' issue with the City.

Tom,

If you haven't a newbie to bring, you're no less welcome.......the 2A peoples' range social event is for everyone......if you are up for bringing a potluck dish or helping with barbecue stuff, I'd appreciate.......as I'd said earlier, we can provide the range use, and the barbecue......but the event will be whatever the people who attend will be interested in making of it. I'd like to see it become an on-going local event, both for the newbies, and as an enjoyable social event for 2A people generally.

cheers

Carla

Gio
05-07-2009, 6:47 PM
Hmm, I am still not totally sure about this Saturday. I will bring a bullet I got for my 9mm reloads so you can see if it works or not. I use FMJ's but they are lead covered with copper, and I am not certain if they are hardball or not.

I sold my P22 pistol :( and picked up a Glock 17 instead. I still have my dedicated .22LR AR and I would not mind helping out with the newbs ;) Just have to make sure I can make it out this saturday :)

-Gio

Asphodel
05-07-2009, 7:07 PM
Gio......hope you can make it......I was impressed with your AR22...... : )

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
05-08-2009, 2:36 PM
We're also arranging a bit of ham radio and local emergency preparedness commo 'show-and-tell' for the Saturday event.

My partner Elaine WA6UBE and our friend Chuck N6VFH will have some 2mtr. and HF commo gear set up and running. If you're a ham, or have a friend who is a ham, or connected with PAARA, SCCARA, RACES, MARS, or similar commo organisations, you're especially invited to participate.

cheers

Carla

sirgiles
05-08-2009, 10:27 PM
can the backstop of the range handle slugs? 000 buck? what do you recommend using?

Gio
05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
can the backstop of the range handle slugs? 000 buck? what do you recommend using?

Nope, get some bird shot d00d :thumbsup:

-Gio

RogueSniper
05-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Carla,

Remember to bring your Colt SAA. I'll bring a box of 45LC and my 45LC derringer. Better wear a glove!

Asphodel
05-09-2009, 2:25 AM
sirgiles,

Re shot sizes for shotgun shooting at the 10th St. range.

Shotgun slugs strike with a lot more energy at close range than do pistol bullets, so there's a fair chance that they might somewhat deform the wear plates on the backstop......for this reason, the 'standing orders' for range use there forbid shotgun slugs.

Birdshot and buckshot have historically been acceptable, but I'd be a bit wary of 000 buck.

Would you be willing to use birdshot mostly, and, if you wish to fire a few familiarisation rounds with the 000, wait until just before we close down for the night, when there will be fewer attendees there?

(if you wish to do some familiarisation fire with your shotgun, and have no birdshot, we can supply some, assuming 12 ga.)

cheers

Carla

Gio
05-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Great outting tonight, good to see so many new faces out there tonight! It was a balst literally :D Thanks again for having us over tonight and giving us a good place to practice and show our love for the sport of target shooting. I feel robbed of my 1st place trophy, shame on the judges for doing the point count wrong! Okay just kidding it was still a great night, see you all again soon ;)

-Gio

howard81
05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh yea another fun night thanks for let us use tha range. Gio thanks let Alice and I use your weapens. I think i left my forks and my cooking wear there? Oh yea Who burn the burger? haha jk

RogueSniper
05-10-2009, 4:53 PM
So much fun! My friends had a lot of fun. The shotguns sort of rattle them. Too much boom! :eek: Thanks to Everyone for making it a great evening!

In everyone's haste to clean up the range and go home, someone tossed into my range bag:

two (2) ten round Butler Creek magazines

Whoever is missing their mags, I have them. If you need them right away, PM me.

Also, someone accidentally packed up my egg crate foam that goes into my pistol cases (now everything is rattling in it).

This is like a typical party/BBQ/gathering - someone is always leaving something behind! :) If you have someone else's stuff, bring them to the next shoot.

leggsman
05-10-2009, 9:43 PM
I m missing the 2 butler creek mags been looking for it all night couldn t find it.figure it mixed up in somebody bag .i ll pick it u at the next shoot

Asphodel
05-11-2009, 2:40 PM
Hello, everyone,

I'd like to extend a big 'THANK YOU' to all of you who made the Second Saturday event so nicely successful........ : )

Particular thanks to Mike, who provided the pie for the 'pie shoot', and a lot of 22 rounds for the newbies, and to Alice, who did those excellently cartooned targets.

Alice, would you be willing to make up some more of those target characters for the next event? (we'd re-emburse you for the cost of a set of felt markers in colours)

Howard, your utensils were left at the range, I have them here. Pls e-mail to remind me, and I'll bring them to the next event.

Rogue, if you mean two pieces apx 6"x8" or so of black egg-crate packing material, they turned up on a table at the range, and were left there......I thought they might have been left by some other range user or group. I'll try to get down to the range, and put them aside for you, but some other Club member may think they are 'trash' from unpacking some item, and toss them out before I can get back there.

My little folding multi-screw driver tool is missing......could you look in your range bags for it? Its a little chrome or nickel-plated rectangular housing with several fold-out screw driver tips, including the torx for Leupold scope mounts.

Now, everyone, is there any aspect of the event we should have done differently, and/or what can we do to make the event better?

cheers

Carla

mrboma
05-11-2009, 3:10 PM
Carla,
It was my pleasure to help out. Looking forward to the next shoot. I know the tool your speaking of (I used it to get the holosight dialed) and I checked my bag, nope. And btw, my buddy and his son had an incredible time and will be joining me and the wife next time.

As for how to better the event, I am working on that. The re-active targets "should" be done by next shoot. It will be a 5 plate "ping & swing" target stand. Maybe some timed events on how long it takes to ring all 5? Different ranges, rifles vs. pistols, etc. I do not have one of those IPSC timers, but if someone does - maybe we could try to add another very friendly "competition" to the event.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Mike

j1133s
05-11-2009, 5:09 PM
Now, everyone, is there any aspect of the event we should have done differently, and/or what can we do to make the event better?

May I suggest a weekday night event? I'd like to meet some 2A people but since my wife doesn't like to shoot, I can't come to your Saturday events.

Mike, I have a shot timer that you're welcome to borrow. Pickup/Dropoff in north San Jose or Stanford U areas.

RogueSniper
05-11-2009, 7:20 PM
I checked my bags, no multi-tool. Sorry. :( I'll ask my group if they saw it.

Can we hold off the shotgunning until later later in the evening? The shotgun is fun, but for the newbies, it can be nerve racking. I'm used to the noise and the shockwave, but my newbie shooters couldn't handle much more. They were wearing plugs and muffs, and they were still jumping from the soundwave.

I can't wait for the reactive targets, those will be fun!

Asphodel
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Hello again, Rogue,

Thanks for looking for my little screw driver widget.....doubtless it will turn up in someone's range bag eventually....

Do you think that the shotguns might be a bit 'over-kill' for the indoor range?

After all, the event is primarily for the newbies, an introduction to shooting, and its not nice to traumatise them with too much 'boom'......so, either we don't do shotguns, or, maybe, when the barbecued munchies are ready, have the newbies outside for 'first chow call', and allow fifteen or twenty minutes for shotgun fire then?

I'm open to whatever ideas will make the event better, so let me know what you think......should we try the next event without any shotgun fire?

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Do you think that the shotguns might be a bit 'over-kill' for the indoor range?

After all, the event is primarily for the newbies, an introduction to shooting, and its not nice to traumatise them with too much 'boom'......so, either we don't do shotguns, or, maybe, when the barbecued munchies are ready, have the newbies outside for 'first chow call', and allow fifteen or twenty minutes for shotgun fire then?

Actually, that sounds much more ideal for the newbies. While the newbies are outside munching away and chatting with other experienced shooters, some of the other shooters (and newbies) can do some shotgunning. Later in the evening, we can return to shotguns after doing some pistol/rimfire rifle practice.

Thanks, Carla.

Asphodel
05-19-2009, 12:51 PM
HI, Rogue,

Your two pieces of egg-crate foam from your pistol case had been carefully put aside on a shelf at the range. I brought them home, and have them on my desk now.

Please e-mail to remind me, and I'll bring them to the next second Saturday event.

By the way.......Elaine and I will be opening the 200 yard side at Metcalf, this coming Sunday, for the usual fourth Sunday public access day.......you're invited, as our guest....meaning no range fee, but you get to help with target handling, etc.....let me know......

cheers

Carla

howard81
06-01-2009, 8:20 PM
Hi all Alice will love to draw more pictures on the cardbord at the next event! She had lots of fun doing that. Unfortunately we would't be able to make :25: to the 6/13 event. we are going camping hope this will not happen to us :7:

Asphodel
06-04-2009, 6:08 PM
Hi, Howard and Alice,

Enjoy your camping....... : )

Hopefully, we'll see you for the July second Saturday event.

Alice, if you are able to find large cardboard boxes to cut up, or other large pieces of cardboard, and can cartoon up some really ugly monsters for us, I'd be grateful.......I was just so very impressed with the quality of your cartoon work......it almost seemed a shame to use it for targets. Could we negotiate having you do some nicely cartooned range safety posters, when convenient?

For info, the August second Saturday event will be an all-day open house/barbecue/potluck event, from early afternoon, til however late we feel like keeping going.

The Rifle Club juniors programme will be doing a barbecue/potluck/rewards/medals/recognition event for their people in the morning, until about 2-ish PM, then we're doing the 'open house/etc. event from then on.

cheers

Carla

Arteel
06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Hmm..I think my GF would love to shoot with other females. I'll see if we can make it to the next event.

RogueSniper
06-09-2009, 8:41 PM
Saturday is coming up really soon! I'm trying to get my female cousins to come out and shoot. My sister can't make it this time, so, there will be a new Queen (or King) of Pies on this outing!

:thumbsup:

Edit:
No one can make it. I'll try some of my other shooters.

RogueSniper
06-11-2009, 9:56 PM
I'll bring some extra cardboard for our targets. The shotties pretty much blew away everything we had last time.

I'll bring a bag of charcoal, lighter fluid and I'll try to find my BBQ tools. Howard left his there last time.

Gio
06-12-2009, 3:10 PM
Man it's almost time again to get together with friendly people and have a good time ;) Too bad I have not been able to find more CCI Blazer for my .22LR AR but I still a little left. Hope to see some new faces out tomorrow nite :)

-Gio

Asphodel
06-12-2009, 6:36 PM
Hi, Rogue, Gio, and everyone,

We have Howard's barbecue tools here.......but I've mis-placed them in the clutter in my kitchen.......I'll bring some barbie tools, whether Howard's or ours.

Should I bring both barbies, the heavy one of ours, and the smaller round 'Smokey Joe', or just one, and, if so, which one? We've half a sack of charcoal, so bringing some charcoal would be nice.

We've frozen hamburger patties, which I'll take out to thaw tonight, and hot dogs......would anyone care to provide buns, or should we? We have ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.

Who wants to pick up a nice high quality pie from a good bakery? (we'll pay back what it costs)

I'll bring some 22's, and we've the remains of a couple bricks of donated 22 rounds, probably the equivalent of a full brick or close to it.

I'll bring the riot Ithica, and some 12ga rounds, if its decided that we'd like to do some shotgun fire......good experience for newbies, I think, but there's no question but that a shotgun is rather loud in the indoor range.

Who will bring some other 'potluck munchies', and what would you like to bring?

I'm thinking that the 'pie shoot' was a bit confusing for some, as we did it before, so I'm thinking now that we simply use a single bull standard target, same ten shots, best five shots counted for score, and shooters to use their choice of any iron sight 22 available there (with the owner's permission, of course)

How does that sound to you?

We have one of those folding shade canopies, which is.....I think....about six or eight foot square when opened......should we bring it, to go over the picnic table, or as a shade area, if someone would care to bring folding chairs?

Remember.......this event is 'outreach' for 'newbies', not just free range time and munchies for gun freaks.....so bring some 'newbies, particularly women who would like the opportunity to feel 'safe and comfortable' at a range......

I got the Rifle Club Board 'sold' on the idea of providing free use of the range for this event on grounds that it is 'outreach' for new shooters, so we have to 'play fair' with that purpose, and all do our bit to provide good basic safety/proficiency training for the new shooters, as well as just having a good time doing some plinking.

What else can you think of, to make the event more enjoyable for all?

cheers

Carla

domokun
06-14-2009, 12:51 AM
It was good meeting everyone there tonight. I had a blast and I hope some of the new shooters that came tonight had a blast as well.

oaklander
06-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I had fun too! I was the guy shooting the (legal) Cobray evil pistol. I'll try and bring some newbies next time!

:)

Gio
06-14-2009, 1:25 AM
It was good meeting everyone there tonight. I had a blast and I hope some of the new shooters that came tonight had a blast as well.

I had fun too! I was the guy shooting the (legal) Cobray evil pistol. I'll try and bring some newbies next time!

Thanks for coming out guys and letting us use your pistols ;) Nice seeing you guys again, hope your Pho was good Kevin ;)

-Gio

emilio
06-20-2009, 2:32 PM
howdy!

i finally decided to join Calguns, so here i am, first post and stuff. my name is Emilio, and i'm an RSO and impromptu instructor for the 2nd Saturday outreach and 4th Sunday 200yd shoots. i'm pretty internet anti-social - few forums, no MySpace/Facebook - but this is an important community for California and our local events.

so, thank you all for coming out to the outreach event/newbshoot! it's a big help to have more food/guns/ammo/expertise for new folks and youngsters to enjoy, and the range cleanup assistance is also invaluable after a long day.

this is a small but important event at this time and place for our second amendment rights: we cannot hope to turn California around in one swift event from a wunderkind politician or wild voter swing. however, large and diverse urban areas like the Bay, Sacramento, and the Los Angeles metro can foster shooting sports and second amendment awareness for new communities and generations. we can "win" by returning America to a place where gun ownership is a normal part of life and responsibility, not limited by politics or cultural divides. (i say "win" because it's weird to think of "us" vs. "them", when it's really "everyone's rights" vs. "bad solutions to violent crime".)

ah, but enough of that. see you on the line!
- emilio

RogueSniper
06-20-2009, 7:06 PM
Yeah, Emilio! He is one cool dude! :thumbsup:

Asphodel
07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Hello, everyone,

The 'Second Saturday' range event for July will be happening tomorrow, beginning around 4:30 (1630)-ish at the old 10th St. range

Barbecue, potluck, plinking. and, hopefully, plenty of 'newbies'......

Alice, would you be able to make up a few more of your excellently cartooned targets?

cheers

Carla

mrboma
07-11-2009, 2:30 PM
Carla,
I am sorry but I will not be able to make this Saturday. My targets did finally arrive this afternoon. They will deffinately be making the dirve up with me for the next Saturday event. Here is a picture of one of the sets I now have.

http://santacruzsolutions.com/fish/targets.jpg

I can't wait to see how they ping and swing...
Regards,
Mike

Gio
07-11-2009, 4:11 PM
Heading out the door in 10 minutes should be another great day at the 10th Street Range, hope to see some more new faces :D

-Gio

Gio
08-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi, Howard and Alice,

Enjoy your camping....... : )

Hopefully, we'll see you for the July second Saturday event.

Alice, if you are able to find large cardboard boxes to cut up, or other large pieces of cardboard, and can cartoon up some really ugly monsters for us, I'd be grateful.......I was just so very impressed with the quality of your cartoon work......it almost seemed a shame to use it for targets. Could we negotiate having you do some nicely cartooned range safety posters, when convenient?

For info, the August second Saturday event will be an all-day open house/barbecue/potluck event, from early afternoon, til however late we feel like keeping going.

The Rifle Club juniors programme will be doing a barbecue/potluck/rewards/medals/recognition event for their people in the morning, until about 2-ish PM, then we're doing the 'open house/etc. event from then on.

cheers

Carla

So this Saturday we going to be doing this at 2 PM or so? I can't wait for it to be Saturday already ;)

I also still have those bullets I was talking to you aboutso shoot me a PM if you are still interested in them. I need the space in my room that they are taking up :)

-Gio

Asphodel
08-07-2009, 8:11 PM
HI, Gio,

I won't promise that we'll actually be there by 2PM.......it may be more like 3-ish, as we plan to be stopping at the store for burgers, buns, soft drinks, ice, etc, at a local store which will be on our way......so we can avoid having another 'adventure' like the 'Sino-American Fire Drill' of the previous event.....and we may get going a bit later than planned.....but we'll be there.

Please do bring the bullet collection.........I'll have to do some thinking about what we really need, but I shall ask some friends, as well, so, presumably, we'll find good homes for your projectiles.

cheers

Carla

Gio
08-08-2009, 1:18 PM
Anyone else coming out to this? Hope to see some more new faces :D

-Gio

domokun
08-08-2009, 5:27 PM
Sorry, I can't make it this time. I'll be up at Stormfeather's house for his welcome home bash.

RogueSniper
08-10-2009, 6:56 PM
Good shoot this last time ... because I won the pie/cake shoot! :thumbsup: Actually I was placed second but Leggsman couldn't stay.

At the end of the evening Leggsman scored the Highest points, with a 38. With this honor comes the responsibility to assume the duties of Pie/Cake Shoot Winner of August 2009, if the titleholder for some reason cannot fulfill his/her duties, the responsibilities falls on the First Runner Up. Gee, just like Miss Universe! hahaha! :D
http://www.fsguns.com/images/A22LR333HP.GIF
I left half a box of bulk Winchester 333 .22LR. Whoever picked it up, bring it to our next event and add it to our shooting event ammo cache.

Thanks, Carla for another great event. You ROCK!

I really liked the Twinkie shoot. That was funny and tasty at the same time.
http://jeffsucksatlife.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/twinkiethekid1.jpg

Asphodel
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi, Rogue,

The half-boxful of Winchester 22 rounds you mention is here.......it got loaded out with the other 22.

I'll either mark 'Rogue' on it and keep it aside for you til next event, or you can tell me its donated for the young people, in which case it would go into the ammo can of misc 22 rounds we've been serving out to the newbies.......your choice, let me know.

(dunno whether you've noticed, but the newbies, generally, fire well over 1000 rounds of 22 at each of the 2nd Saturday events, as 'familiarisation fire'........which translates to not especially noticing that they are developing basic rifle skills when they are just 'having a good time' plinking the tennis balls and similar 'targets'......and, of course, how many of the experienced shooters can 'resist the temptation' to burn a few 22 rounds at the plinking targets?.....anyway, these events use a lot of 22 rounds)

This is a very different sort of 'introduction to rifle shooting' than is done by the Rifle Club's formal juniors programme, in which each young person is issued a small amount of match grade 22, and taught precision match target shooting, using a Club-owned (and amazingly expensive) precision match grade rifle.

(not that I'm suggesting that either is 'better' or 'worse' or more or less 'desirable'.......formal rifle training and a 'fun shoot' are just 'different', thats all.........hopefully, some number of the 'newbie' shooters will go on into serious target shooting, after enjoying some 'fun plinking'......but, thats up to them........even more 'hopefully', a few might become motivated to become 2A activists, and, possibly, join the Rifle Club, to help us keep the old range open and running)

Thank you....... a big 'thank you' for yourself and all the others who have participated in these events........and, especially, have done the surprisingly large amount of 'clean up' work at the close of the event.

When we started these events, we had no idea as to whether enough people would be interested, to justify doing them.......now that you've been to a few, what do you think......are these events sufficiently enjoyable that we should plan to keep them going 'from now on'?

(understand, winter will be coming, when it won't be practical to barbecue, so we'll have to improvise with pizza or something instead.....will everyone be ok with that, do you think?)

And......again.....the important question......what can we do to make the event nicer or 'more fun' for the participants?

(regular 'Twinkie shoot'?......no problem......but would people become bored with Twinkies?......what else might people like?)

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
08-12-2009, 5:16 PM
Definitely add the leftover .22 to our Newbie ammo cache. They need it if your calculation is correct about them burning through so much ammo.

We need more reactive targets. Paper just doesn't make that PING! noise or bounce around like the T-balls. We'll have to come up with something that isn't messy.

Our intro is much more fun and informal. Really, how much experience can you get from just shooting a handful of .22s? Maybe 50 rounds would do it.

I'm headed up to the Big Reno Show this weekend. Maybe I'll find something interesting for our group. Too bad we can't shoot those explosive targets. I remember a long time ago, the Range in Sacramento used to sell them. Small box - about the size of a pack of cigarettes - with a red bullseye. A proper shot would detonate it with a satisfying boom, flash, and confetti. It was a mess but lots of fun. Hmm, maybe a balloon filled with confetti? Paper is paper, right? I'll have to try this out next time. Inflate some small water balloons filled with confetti or baby powder? Maybe that will work?
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/2001189/i/Ex_targets_ezr.jpghttp://www.tannerite.com/blowup_small.jpg

howard81
08-13-2009, 10:25 PM
HI all sorry had to leave early did not clean up last event. It was fun fun! How about small ballowns? fill with water?nitro gas? O2?

leggsman
08-14-2009, 1:16 PM
Sorry i had to leave early .Girlfriend got to be at work at 11.It was fun congrat to Rogue for winning the pie shoot.See you all at the next event.Again thanks Carla

leggsman
08-14-2009, 1:37 PM
Hey Rogue i m going to be in Reno on sunday for the gun show also.May be i see you there

RogueSniper
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd like to confirm my reservations for three shooter this Saturday: two ladies, one gentleman, and lots of guns and ammo! :)

Same time as usual?

Asphodel
09-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi, Rogue,

The 'second Saturday event' technically doesn't begin until 5PM (1700), but we'll actually be starting about 1600-ish, as there are usually few 'public hours' range users on Saturdays.

I'll be at the range just before 1400, as I'll be running the public hours, 1400 to 1700.

We'll be looking forward to seeing you and friends at the event...... : )

If you might have anything, such as small silhouettes, which would be good 22 'amusement' targets, please bring them.

cheers

Carla

wikidklown
09-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi Carla,

I would like to try this Sat event possibly with my wife and 2 children(well, 11 and 14).
Is this pistol/handgun only or can we bring .22 rifles as well? How about a pistol caliber rifle?

TIA

Asphodel
09-11-2009, 3:21 AM
Hi, Wiki,

Handguns from 22 to 45 are alright, with non-magnum loads (38spl in a 357 or 44spl in a 44mag, for example), and lead, plated lead, or JHP/JSP bullets.

Military hardball bullets must not be fired at the old range, as they will sometimes, very rarely, cause 'bounce-backs'. (this is quite rare, but it can happen, and we can't take any chances with range safety)

22 rimfire rifles are alright, but I'll have to say 'no' to rifles in handgun calibers, as the increased velocity from the longer barrel lengths could, possibly, lead to a bounce-back situation. Again, this is extremely unlikely, but, again, we can't take any chances with possible safety issues, especially when there will be a lot of newbies and young people present.

Its a bit of a nuisance that having the old style back-stop at the old range means having to set limits on bullet types and velocities. If we are able to get the funding, we will have the old backstop replaced with a modern type which won't require those limitations.

(in all fairness, back when that range was built, no one ever thought that anyone would want to fire rounds other than 22, or 'wad-cutter' lead target bullets with handguns, at the range)

So....you and your family are quite welcome, just bring 22 rifles and handguns with lead or exposed-lead-tip types of bullets. If you'd care to bring some additional 22 rounds to donate for the newbies use, I'd really appreciate that.

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
09-13-2009, 4:21 PM
Last night was PACKED!!! Lots of new shooters from the local Juniors. Plus, we had some late night comers. Good to see new people. The Juniors won all THREE pies in the pie shoot. Damn, didn't even get a bite (apple, lemon meringue, ...)http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/wd2/recipes/lemon-meringue-pie4/187175-1-eng-US/Lemon-Meringue-Pie_slideshow_image.jpg

I think our 22 Ammo Cache is extremely LOW. Where can we find some more 22s? Does the Range qualify for CMP purchases?

Even us regulars were running low on our own 22s
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3355/3591157224_2e6439a90a.jpg
<cough> Terrorist <cough> Scrounge <cough>! :D

Leggsman, thanks for bringing the reactive target. That was a fun! :thumbsup:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31V9APR8F8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Asphodel
09-16-2009, 2:34 PM
Hi, Rogue,

Well, I'm sorry you missed out on the pie.......it had started to become 'tradition' that the pie winner would cut the pie and share it out with the other people at the event......but the Juniors had to leave early. (I'd have liked a slice of pie myself, for that matter....oh, well, there's always another time)

Getting enough 22 rounds to run this event has me worried, particularly with this new law which appears to be intended to make it impossible, as a practical matter, to run events like this.

It would appear that all we can do is to do our best to amass some great stock-piles of 22 before this law goes into effect.

The Rifle Club can purchase 22 rounds from CMP, and I'll look into that. I have this creepy suspicion that there will be groups all over California flooding the CMP with orders for ammunition, hoping for a shipping date before the law goes into effect.

If I understand correctly, any rounds purchased by the Rifle Club from CMP may be used only in Club-related activities. The second Saturday event has, so far, been an informal event, in that, per the Rifle Club bye-laws, any Club member may invite any number of 'guests' to use the range, at his/her discretion.

If I can get a vote of the Club membership to make the second Saturday event an 'official Club event', sponsored by the Rifle Club, then it should be 'legitimate' to use CMP-purchase 22 rounds at the event. They cannot be 'sold' to anyone, tho, just 'provided for use' by attendees. Its an important distinction, from a legal point of view, that, as a non-profit entity, we can accept donations, but can't be appearing to 'sell' anything.

cheers

Carla

sigguy552
09-20-2009, 9:27 PM
Carla, can you point me to the new law you are referring to? Thx

Asphodel
09-22-2009, 3:02 PM
sigguy,

Please look in the 2A area here, for the new legislation, which we've been petitioning the 'Governator' to veto.

Consider what effect any ammunition restrictions will have on this event.

I can keep the event itself running, but everyone will need to bring their own rounds, should that new law go into effect.

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
10-06-2009, 4:08 PM
Hello, all,

Just a reminder, the upcoming 10th St. second Saturday event will be on this coming Saturday, 10 Oct., beginning at 1600. (public hours technically run until 1700, so some public hours users may be present until then)

Bring a newbie, bring food, and bring 22 rounds.

I'd really like to reserve the first two, possibly three, hours of the event for newbies and 22's, to keep the noise level down to a point more comfortable for the newbies. Later, there will be plenty of time for heavier handguns, and shotguns.....maybe we could call 1900 as the start time for 'larger than 22' shooting.....what do you think?

I still have enough, or probably enough, donated 22 rounds for the newbies, for this coming event. If the ammunition sales restriction bill isn't vetoed, tho, I may have to start requiring people to bring enough 22 rounds for themselves and the newbies they bring.

Last second Saturday, the Junior ROTC provided the food, and did the cooking.....it wouldn't be nice to ask them to do this again, so will some of the folks who are planning to attend the event be willing to bring some hamburgers/hot dogs/buns for the barbecue? Likewise, is anyone willing to bring a nice pie for the 'pie shoot' tradition, and/or some soft drinks? Please let me know, so we can plan the event.

If the event gets really busy, as it has in times past, I really shouldn't be away from the line very much, so I need to be able to depend on a small group of volunteers who will help the event run well.

For info, I plan to submit a motion at the next Rifle Club meeting, to allow suspension of the regular Saturday public hours fees, for the second Saturdays, and thereby have the second Saturday Outreach event begin at 1400, continuing as late as desired by the attendees. I'm reasonably confident that the Rifle Club membership will vote for that.

As the days grow shorter/colder, we need to decide whether to continue barbecuing, or just bring pizza, or some other munchies people will like. Being able to start at 1400, right at the end of the Juniors Programme time, will make the event a little nicer, I think.

cheers

Carla

howard81
10-10-2009, 2:41 PM
Carla,

I will be there with some 22lrs! see you all there!.

Howard

RogueSniper
10-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I missed out on Saturday. :( I was busy storm prepping (patching a previously leaky roof, putting away tools, tarping everything!).

What did I miss? How many New Shooters showed up? Who won the pie shoot?

Asphodel
10-21-2009, 2:15 AM
Hi, Rogue,

Sorry about not checking this 'thread' and seeing your message until now.....

This last 2nd Saturday event was a 'washout'.....only nine or ten people attended.....Howard brought some 22 for us, but we didn't have very many newbies, so its saved for next time.

Dean brought his cute old 410, and we had a good time plinking with it. A good bit of 9MM and 45 went down-range, as well.

Dean and Sue brought some tri-tip roast as a nice treat.....a nice addition to the usual hamburgers..... : )

We didn't even do the pie shoot.....Elaine had gotten a pumpkin pie, which didn't attract most of the folks, so we just split up the pie with the only people there who did like pumpkin......next time we'll get a more popular variety of pie.

We will keep the event running, even if it slows to a small 'fun shoot' for a few people during the winter months......barbecuing may not be too practical when its dark and cold outside, so maybe someone will bring pizza or potluck dishes.

We really should make up some sort of advertising flyer, which we could ask people who have stores which attract a NRA demographic to display near the cash register. This might attract more newbies, and we really need to get the newbies to keep the Rifle Club membership happy with the 'newbie shoot' concept.

I do hope you can make it to the next 2nd Saturday....lets keep it going..... : )

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
11-01-2009, 9:23 PM
Carla,

It looks like the weather has been holding up for awhile. Hopefully, in two weeks, it'll be the same.

I got some .22s to donate to the Event for our newbies. I know you said we were running low, dangerously low!

I think I got the projector working right this time, too. Does anyone have access to butcher paper (free, preferably) so I can project some targets on it for our next shoot? I usually go to Costco for cardboard scraps and some of it is white and perfect for image projection. I've got Zombies, Stormtroopers (Star Wars variety), Aliens, etc. I'm going to try to get my hands on that Caddyshack Gopher as a target, too.

mcubed4130
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
wow... this has been going on since Feb in my own backyard and didn't notice. I'll see if I can grab the wife and attend.

-M3

RogueSniper
11-03-2009, 4:12 PM
wow... this has been going on since Feb in my own backyard and didn't notice. I'll see if I can grab the wife and attend.

-M3

Cool! Bring your wife; she'll have fun. Lots of guns and rifles. We're all happy to share. I brought my Mom and my sister to this event, they love it! Ladies need to be involved in 2A and shooting. They can really surprise you with what they can do.

Asphodel
11-03-2009, 6:30 PM
Hello, Rogue, and mcubed,

We'll be continuing the second Saturday event as long as people continue to like the idea of the event.....it may become a much smaller event during the winter months, but thats alright.....if it becomes a 'fun shoot' for a relatively smaller number of people, thats alright.......but we really do need to bring in some 'newbies', to 'keep good faith' with the agreement I made with the membership of the Rifle Club, for the free use of the range facility.

Probably, Mike Clough will attend with some number of his 'JROTC' young people, at this upcoming event. They may.....and thats *may*.... offer to do up some food for the attendees. I'm not about to *request* that of them again, after they did such a nice job of 'field-expedient mess service' for all of us, a couple of events ago.

Since we're at the time of year when darkness falls around 1730-ish, and it may be uncomfortably cold outside, it may not be practical to run the barbecue......that said, we have a standing offer of the use of Dean Peterson's propane-fired barbecue, which is kept at the range, and I can bring a tank of propane. If someone wishes to take charge of doing up some barbecue for the event, just let me know by Friday evening.

For the winter months, tho, its probably more practical for people to bring 'potluck' munchies, and for someone to be willing to bring pizza for all.

(as I've said earlier, the event will be whatever the attendees care to make of it.......we're providing the range use, some 22 rifles, and some 22 rounds.....past that, its up to those who are interested in the event to make it more enjoyable in any way they think best, with the only caveat being common-sense range safety)

Mike and Howard both provided some 22 rounds, which will be on hand and available......primarily for the JROTC young people and the newbies, of course, but for everyone else as well...... : )

We'll have to do some serious thinking about investing in, and stock-piling, enough 22 to run the event without having to ration people down to some small number of rounds......after all, its meant to be a 'fun shoot', and that means burning a lot of 22 at the reactive targets, right?

All we can do, I suppose, is to try to find an 'angel' who likes the idea of the event, and is in a position to donate for a supply of 22......and, of course, we'll have no choice but to 'hustle' the attendees generally, to bring whatever amount of 22 rounds they may be willing to bring.

Rogue, would you be willing to provide a high-quality pie for the event? I'd re-emburse you for the cost of the pie, but I'd like us to have a really nice one, worth some effort to win.

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
11-03-2009, 7:04 PM
I'll bring a Boston Cream Pie to the next event, my contribution. Yum!!! :drool5:
For that incentive, I think everyone is going to be trying to win it!

I'm always up to bringing a pizza. I'm too busy to cook up a potluck ... okay, I'm LAZY! :D

sigguy552
11-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a bunch of 22ammo laying around I can donate. Is this for kids? Sorry I didn't want to read through 10 pages.....

RogueSniper
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
It's for the Jr ROTC and newbie shooters (ladies, gents, and teens). It's a lot to read. Is it really 10pages???

sigguy552
11-03-2009, 10:51 PM
yeah....I'm just not down to donate to a bunch of freeloaders looking to shoot up other people's ammo. They have Big 5 for that. I'm ok with donating if it's a bunch of kids or first time shooters. If someone shows up with a volquartsen modded 10/22...they can kiss my ***! =)

Asphodel
11-04-2009, 1:22 AM
Sigguy,

I'd have to go back through the sign-in sheets to get more than a roughly approximate number of the first-time shooters, young people, and Junior ROTC people who have participated in the second Saturday events, but it is a surprisingly large number.

If you'd care to donate some 22 rounds, I'd be grateful, and would have no problem with marking or tagging the boxes to positively ensure that only 'newbies' were issued those rounds.

Actually, we've had a number of experienced shooters attend these events, and, once they've demonstrated a reasonable competence/experience level, I've been quite appreciative of them 'pairing up' with newbies, to provide 'one on one' coaching, which I can't do whilst having to watch the entire line.

These shooters do bring quite a variety of rifles and handguns, and bring their own ammunition, quite a bit of which they've shared with the newbies, when providing the use of 9MM and 45 handguns for 'familiarisation fire' after the newbies have gone through basic safety/proficiency orientation with the 22's.

In short, any amount of 22 you'd care to donate would be reserved for the trainees, and not just burned for amusement by the experienced shooters.

How about attending the next second Saturday event, to see the event for yourself?

Its certainly true enough that, later in the evening, the experienced shooters get to do a good bit of plinking themselves, often trying one another's weapons and sharing their own......after all, the events are intended to provide an enjoyable range experience for every participant, not only training for the newbies.

cheers

Carla

Hartz21
11-07-2009, 6:49 PM
I'd love to come but am out of town for the next two second Saturdays. Hopefully I'll be able to make the one after that. Sounds like a fun event.

Asphodel
11-11-2009, 7:20 PM
Hello, everyone,

Just a reminder, the next event will be this coming Saturday, beginning around 1600-ish. (the official 'public hours' at the range will run to 1700, but there are unlikely to be any public hours range users there after 1600-ish)

I'm not planning on doing barbecue for this event, given that its dark/cold outside by 1730......would some nice people bring some soft drinks, potluck munchies, and pizza for all?

Please, please, do bring some newbies.....I suspect that this coming Saturday will be a sparsely attended event, so there will be plenty of time for the newbies to have a good time plinking at the reactive targets.

If anyone could spare a bit of time to cartoon some ugly monsters for shotgun targets, I'd appreciate...... : )

cheers

Carla

Blossy
11-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Carla, I'll see you Saturday! I'm a newbie and I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing another female newbie with me. Looking forward to it.

mala in se
11-12-2009, 5:08 PM
hmm... i might be able to make it. my son has been bugging me to take him to the range.

i've visited the 10th street range a few years ago, and i don't remember it being able to fit more than a hand full of people. has it changed since then?

Asphodel
11-12-2009, 7:41 PM
mala,

The old 10th St. range is a small facility, to be sure, and of an 'obsolete' design, compared to more sophisticated modern ranges.

That said, its 'what we've got', so we have to 'get by' as best we can. We have made some improvements, over the years.

The one thing I will say for the old range is that there had never been a suicide or injury accident there. I intend to maintain that record.

The directions to the location are easy.

Take the 280 to the 10th St. off-ramp, run south on 10th St., cross Alma Ave., look on the left, just past the fancy new City ice skating rink, for the sign 'San Jose Municipal Firing Range'. The range phone number is 408 275 1738.

cheers

Carla

diginit
11-13-2009, 9:05 PM
Hi Carla! Looks like you have really made some progress since our last conversation a few months ago. Congradulations!! I just might show up with a 1911 and a 22 revolver. If the ladies don't mind, that is... Sounds like fun. J.

RogueSniper
11-15-2009, 1:16 PM
Last night was great! At least six new shooters came out and had an awesome time. The Jr ROTC group couldn't make it out to this month's outing. Plus, it was too cold to BBQ.

One of the shooter impressed the heck out of me with her markswomanship. Absolutely fantastic shooting with that rifle. What is the make and model of that .22 Trainer rifle? I have get myself one of those! It's an amazing rifle and ultra-accurate!

I think a lot of people had fun with the S&W M29-1 w/ Carla's special loads. A couple of the newbies went through all ten of my Sig mags. I'll need to reload some more 9mm. :)

Thanks again to Carla and Emilio for a fun and safe evening.

And to David, congrats on the pie shoot. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:, we all enjoyed that Boston Cream Pie.

Asphodel
11-15-2009, 5:22 PM
Hi, Rogue,

I sent a PM with the info on the little Winchester bolt rifle.....

Again, a well-deserved 'THANK YOU' for your good work in helping with the new shooters, and especially for providing the use of your truly excellently set-up M29.

The 'special' rounds are my 'ultra-light' range load for the 44mag, a 240gr lead SWC with 6.5gr. of Unique. This is one which was given in one of the load-books as a 'minimum' load. As you can see, its accurate at the 50ft. indoor range, and the noise/recoil is no more than that of a 38spl.

Personally, I think it a very good load for practice, in that it does the least 'wear and tear' to both the revolver and the user.

I'd like to especially thank Than Hendricks, the President of the SCVRC, our local Rifle Club, and Eddie Jaworski, a Club member with good 'instructor' experience, for help with the new shooters.

Last night's event, tho we didn't have as many attendees as some previous events, went exceptionally well, in that, with Than, Eddie, Emilio, Rogue, Gio, and Giles present as instructor personnel, we were able to give each of the newbies really good personalised instruction with a wide variety of weapons, and enough time for good basic familiarisation fire with them.

This level of high quality instruction and familiarisation fire for new trainees is exactly what I'd been hoping for when we started holding these events......I am very pleased with the way this last event ran, and hope we can continue like this.

(all we need is more 'newbies'......would anyone care to make up some sort of advertising 'flier' which could be put up on bulletin boards or posted in places where a '2nd Amendment demographic' of people might see them, and bring us more 'newbies'?)

I'd also like to say 'THANK YOU' to those who brought pizza and pastries, and those who donated some more 22 rounds. Hopefully, we can continue with pizza, pastries, and whatever people might like to bring as 'pot-luck' munchies, through the winter months, until the weather turns nice, next spring, when we can again do BBQ outside.

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
11-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Hello, everyone,

We'll have a change in the outreach event hours, beginning next month, the 12 December event.

For many years, the practice of the Rifle Club was to open the range for 'public access hours', with a $5/hr range use fee, from 1400 (2PM) to 1700 (5PM) on every Saturday, some holidays excepted.

At the regular general business meeting tonight (16 Nov), the Rifle Club voted to allow the outreach programme to use the 'public hours' time, 1400 to 1700, in addition to the evening after 1700.

This means that the second Saturday outreach events will begin at 1400 (2PM) on every second Saturday. This authorisation is on an 'experimental' basis, until June of 2010, and will be renewed if interest and attendance is sufficient to warrant continuance. (this means that if you like the event, and would like it to continue, bring more newbies, or help advertise the event to attract more newbies, whatever.)

Beginning the event at 1400 should make it more convenient, particularly during the winter months. This will allow more range time for the 'newbies', and a nicer time-frame for the outdoor BBQ aspect of the event when the weather permits, this coming spring.

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
12-08-2009, 8:11 PM
Hello, everyone,

Just a reminder, the second Saturday 'newbies' event will be held at the 10th St. range this coming Saturday, 12 Dec., beginning at 1400 (2PM), maybe a little earlier.

Again, as I've been saying........bring some newbies.... : )

Also, will someone be willing to bring soft drinks, pizza or potluck items , and would someone get a high quality pie for the 'pie shoot'? (I'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie., but lets get a really nice one)

And......as always......any donations of 22 rounds for the newbies would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers

Carla

diginit
12-09-2009, 8:35 PM
Hello Carla and friends,
You folks are going to shoot up a perfectly good pie? I'm crying inside...:D
I'm going to try to make this one. If it is not raining too hard. I have a new shotgun I want to try out. Is 12 Ga. OO buckshot allowed? I have some 7.5 field loads otherwise. I can load some light ones for the 1911 and bring the 22mag. Other shooters are welcome to try a few rounds, Of course.

Gio
12-09-2009, 8:39 PM
I think they shoot bird shot mainly in there, the steel plate may cause the 00 buck to bounce back. Hope to see you out this Saturday James,

-Gio

RogueSniper
12-09-2009, 8:50 PM
Sadly, I've got stuff going on all weekend and can't make it out. Enjoy the shoot without me.

diginit
12-09-2009, 9:19 PM
I think they shoot bird shot mainly in there, the steel plate may cause the 00 buck to bounce back. Hope to see you out this Saturday James,

-Gio

Maybe I shouldn't bring the 22 mag? 2100 FPS is more likely to rebound than OO buckshot. I have a few WRF's that run about 1800.

Asphodel
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
James,

We've tried 00 buck, and 22mag, and those were safely trapped by the backstop, without bounce-backs, so they're alright.

As far as we can tell, the energy in a shotgun slug when it 'splats' on the plates of the backstop is just enough.....just barely....to put a slight dent in the plate. That seems to vary with different makes of slug rounds. They aren't a safety hazard to range users, tho. The prohibition of slug rounds is just cos some varieties will leave little dents in the plates.

We can provide 12ga birdshot, if you'd like.

I've never seen any bounce-backs with 22 mag, and the energy level is low enough that it can't possibly damage the steel. (compare the impact energy at 50 feet range of a 22 mag to that of a 45 long Colt.....the 45LC rounds won't damage the steel. For that matter, 45ACP hardball won't damage the steel, but the projectile retains its mass and approximate shape after impact, so it can do bounce-backs, which is why we forbid its use.)

Rogue,

We'll miss you and your sister..........hopefully, we'll see you for the January event....... : )

cheers

Carla

Blossy
12-10-2009, 2:32 PM
Carla, I'll see you Saturday afternoon! I look forward to a 2nd go at the range, plus I have some more questions and know that you and the club are very helpful.

howard81
12-12-2009, 12:49 PM
HI all,
I am not going to make it this time! Parents need to be taken to the airport. Will see you guys next time! If there is going ot BBQ I will bring more steaks.

Howard

sirgiles
12-12-2009, 7:28 PM
Hello Carla and friends,
You folks are going to shoot up a perfectly good pie? I'm crying inside...:D
I'm going to try to make this one. If it is not raining too hard. I have a new shotgun I want to try out. Is 12 Ga. OO buckshot allowed? I have some 7.5 field loads otherwise. I can load some light ones for the 1911 and bring the 22mag. Other shooters are welcome to try a few rounds, Of course.

i was looking forward to this but did'nt see it. unfortunately, it was raining too much for some:(

RogueSniper
12-12-2009, 8:16 PM
sirgiles - next time, I'll bring my 22WMR Thompson Contender. The 22Mag is a lot of fun. It's amazing how much recoil it can generate from such a tiny cartridge.

I wish I could have come by, but I'm still studying (taking a break to let the brain relax). I would have brought my 629 again. I loaded some mild 44 rounds to match 44Spl.

What kind of pie did I miss out on???? :(

Next month, I'll be there!

diginit
12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
We didn't get to do the pie thing. But I hate to waste good food anyways. Especially pie. Can we just shoot leftovers? :D There were only 3 shooters there. Personally, I had a great time. Meeting the people and checking out the old 22's and shotguns they had there. I wish they were in my collection. The buckshot and 3", #4 Magnum loads tons were of fun, Blossie took out the center of the target with every shot from my 12 Ga. and was a great shot with the 22 mag and the 1911. A 1st timer too! Byron was a good shot too. I think he enjoyed it. These 2 newbies were impressive. Both showed proper etiquette and Hit the black.
I'm wondering if it would be as much fun with more people or not. Guess I'll find out next time.

sirgiles
12-12-2009, 10:47 PM
We didn't get to do the pie thing. But I hate to waste good food anyways. Especially pie. Can we just shoot leftovers? :D There were only 3 shooters there. Personally, I had a great time. Meeting the people and checking out the old 22's and shotguns they had there. I wish they were in my collection. The buckshot and 3", #4 Magnum loads tons were of fun, Blossie took out the center of the target with every shot from my 12 Ga. and was a great shot with the 22 mag and the 1911. A 1st timer too! Byron was a good shot too. I think he enjoyed it. These 2 newbies were impressive. Both showed proper etiquette and Hit the black.
I'm wondering if it would be as much fun with more people or not. Guess I'll find out next time.

oh well, i missed it. i guess i left too early.

RogueSniper
12-12-2009, 11:37 PM
We didn't get to do the pie thing. But I hate to waste good food anyways. Especially pie. Can we just shoot leftovers? :D There were only 3 shooters there. Personally, I had a great time. Meeting the people and checking out the old 22's and shotguns they had there. I wish they were in my collection.

I know. I'm looking around for an old Winchester Target 69A. Man, I want one!

The buckshot and 3", #4 Magnum loads tons were of fun, Blossy took out the center of the target with every shot from my 12 Ga. and was a great shot with the 22 mag and the 1911. A 1st timer too! Byron was a good shot too. I think he enjoyed it. These 2 newbies were impressive. Both showed proper etiquette and Hit the black.

If Blossy is who I think she is, she is a VERY IMPRESSIVE shot. The last time, she blew me away with her shooting prowess with the .22 rifle. We had a good array of folks last time, and it's a lot of fun teaching new shooters. New shooters become seasoned shooter very quickly. I think it's great when they start eye-ballin' your hardware and start asking "Where can I get one of those?" :thumbsup:

Asphodel
12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi, Rogue, and everyone,

We had a bit slower event than usual last Saturday, to be sure.

Several of the regular participants couldn't make it for various reasons (not feeling well, having to work or do family-related things, problems with their transportation, etc.......that, and it was a cold, rainy, 'icky' sort of day aqui in the barrio de Sanjo....'good day to just stay home' sort of day)

There were 15 participants, all told, tho, and quite a bit of shooting going on in the early afternoon. The people seemed happy with the earlier starting time now (1400). Giles did quite well instructing/coaching some newbies, a couple of whom had never done any shooting before.

A number of the participants just did a bit of plinking, had some pizza, and left early.

Blossy did quite well with the old target 22, and had a good time with the shotguns. I burned a bit of 22 plinking at the tennis balls myself, and......well, I think I need a seeing-eye dog or something. The tennis balls all died, it just took a few more rounds than should have been, thats all....... : )

Two of the new participants donated some 22, so we've enough to keep going for another month or two...... : )

We didn't do a pie shoot this time, as no one brought a pie....... : (

One of the participants brought pizza, tho, and we had coffee/pastries for all.

Elaine had our Israeli military field radio set up, with an improvised long-wire antenna, and was doing a bit of 'field expedient commo' show-and-tell.

I expect the next few months will be relatively 'low-key', now that we're in the cold rainy season......but we'll keep going..... : )

cheers

Carla

MarioS
12-15-2009, 8:35 PM
This sounds like a great event, thanks for putting it on.

I may come out next time to finally get out and meet some more local Calgunners, and I may bring the lady with me if she can make it. I've taken her shooting a couple times and she seems to like it. I'm a lucky man. :)

diginit
12-24-2009, 7:00 PM
You're right, You are a lucky man.
It was nice to finally meet you, Carla. I loved the police 12 Ga. you let me shoot. I'm really glad I went, dispite the pouring rain. The lack of a nightime crowd put a much more personal touch to the shoot. :D Glad this is working out for you and your sister.
I just got a couple of 22 cal. pistols I may bring next time. But if someone brings a pie, I think I will eat it before it gets shot up....At least part of it, When no one's looking. :43: So they had better either hide it or bring 2. ;)

Gio
12-26-2009, 2:23 PM
This sounds like a great event, thanks for putting it on.

I may come out next time to finally get out and meet some more local Calgunners, and I may bring the lady with me if she can make it. I've taken her shooting a couple times and she seems to like it. I'm a lucky man. :)You should come out even if your gf decides to stay home.

You're right, You are a lucky man.
It was nice to finally meet you, Carla. I loved the police 12 Ga. you let me shoot. I'm really glad I went, dispite the pouring rain. The lack of a nightime crowd put a much more personal touch to the shoot. :D Glad this is working out for you and your sister.
I just got a couple of 22 cal. pistols I may bring next time. But if someone brings a pie, I think I will eat it before it gets shot up....At least part of it, When no one's looking. :43: So they had better either hide it or bring 2. ;)Hey James, sorry I was not able to make it out last time. I will try to make it out to January's meet there. See you around,

-Gio

MarioS
12-26-2009, 5:00 PM
Let me know if there's anything I can bring that would help. I heard talk of pies...?

You should come out even if your gf decides to stay home.
-Gio

Yeah, I'm going to try to make it to the next one.

Asphodel
12-27-2009, 8:51 AM
Hi, Mario,

The most important single item is to 'bring newbies'.

Its all well and good that the event is an enjoyable social meeting, conversation, and plinking event for gun-freaks, but the underlying idea is to 'reach out' to the newbies.......to provide basic safety/proficiency instruction and familiarisation to those who are new to firearms and shooting, particularly, but not exclusively, young people, and women who are considering owning a weapon for self-defence.

So.....if you'd like to help make the project work, please bring some more 'newbies' if at all possible.

If you'd care to bring a really nice pie, for the 'pie shoot', I'd be gratefully appreciative.....(we have a local bakery here where they make excellent bread, but their pies are only so-so......I don't know where to get a really good pie, actually)....and I'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie.

(for the 'pie shoot', everyone gets to use the same light target 22, rounds from the same brick, and the same style of target, so the challenge is the same for everyone.....best score wins the pie, and the winner has the choice of taking the pie home, or cutting it and sharing it out with the other participants)

You could also bring a box of Twinkies.......a couple of times, I've done a 'Dan White memorial Twinkie shoot', in which the participant cartoons a smile face on a very small post-it note pad, runs it 50' down-range, and, if he/she hits it, wins a Twinkie (if you're thinking ?????, do a 'google' search on Dan White and Harvey Milk.....its a bit of local history)

If you can afford to donate some 22 rounds for newbies use, that would really help.

cheers

Carla

MarioS
12-27-2009, 9:50 PM
Hi, Mario,

The most important single item is to 'bring newbies'.

Its all well and good that the event is an enjoyable social meeting, conversation, and plinking event for gun-freaks, but the underlying idea is to 'reach out' to the newbies.......to provide basic safety/proficiency instruction and familiarisation to those who are new to firearms and shooting, particularly, but not exclusively, young people, and women who are considering owning a weapon for self-defence.

So.....if you'd like to help make the project work, please bring some more 'newbies' if at all possible.

If you'd care to bring a really nice pie, for the 'pie shoot', I'd be gratefully appreciative.....(we have a local bakery here where they make excellent bread, but their pies are only so-so......I don't know where to get a really good pie, actually)....and I'll re-emburse you for the cost of the pie.

(for the 'pie shoot', everyone gets to use the same light target 22, rounds from the same brick, and the same style of target, so the challenge is the same for everyone.....best score wins the pie, and the winner has the choice of taking the pie home, or cutting it and sharing it out with the other participants)

You could also bring a box of Twinkies.......a couple of times, I've done a 'Dan White memorial Twinkie shoot', in which the participant cartoons a smile face on a very small post-it note pad, runs it 50' down-range, and, if he/she hits it, wins a Twinkie (if you're thinking ?????, do a 'google' search on Dan White and Harvey Milk.....its a bit of local history)

If you can afford to donate some 22 rounds for newbies use, that would really help.

cheers

Carla

Sounds good, Carla. Thanks.

P345Dude
12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Carla,

What is the minimum age? My ten year old son "whom is a lic hunter" was showing some interest in this. Is this too young for this group or is that about the age you are looking for?

Asphodel
12-28-2009, 1:48 PM
Hi, P345,

Your ten-year-old is welcome, if you tell me that he will be well-behaved, polite, and responsible. (ten years age is generally considered a 'minimum'.....I'd waive that for a really exceptional 8 or 9 year old young person, but 10 is a Club policy item for the juniors programme.)

As a legal technicality which I really must follow, I dare not allow him to fire any handguns at the range (yes, I know, laws like that are 'bravo-sierra', but such is the harsh reality of living in a police-state), and he may fire a rifle only under your direct supervision.

That said, we'll have some 'shooting gallery' type targets so he can have a good time doing some 'amusement plinking' with an old Winchester pump 22, or try some serious target practice with a light target grade 22, as he might prefer.

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
01-07-2010, 8:52 PM
Just a reminder, everyone.......the next event will be on this coming Saturday, the 9th.

Bring newbies !!

See you there..........beginning at 1400 (2PM).......... : )

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
01-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Huh? It's the Second Saturday already? ;)

I better go round up my Newbies (and some ammo!).:D

howard81
01-08-2010, 7:40 PM
Will be there. Should we bring BBQ stuff?

Asphodel
01-08-2010, 9:13 PM
Hi, Howard,

Its too cold outside, and gets dark too early, for bbq to be practical this month, and probably for the next couple of months as well. As soon as the weather gets nice, tho, we'll definitely be back to doing bbq.

Could you bring pizza for everyone? I'm sure others will chip in to help with the cost.

cheers

Carla

MarioS
01-08-2010, 9:40 PM
Shoot, I just saw this thread updated and have to back out at the last minute. Wish I remembered earlier so I could post sooner. One of my best buddies is celebrating their birthday tomorrow. I'll bring some .22LR rounds next time to make up for it.

howard81
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
everyone gets pizza

diginit
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I think I'll go, I'm hoping a newbie will meet me there. :D But I have a couple of 22's I'd like to take out of moth balls anyways.

RogueSniper
01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I'll be there with my usual new-ish shooters, aka Mom and Big Sistah. :) I was hoping to bring another newbie but she had a schedule change. I might be able to bring a replacement Newbie.

I'll have my .44Mag with some light loads. Carla, I know some of the shooters liked that one because of the custom trigger job. I've only made up 25 rounds of the gallery loads. I'll have to scrounge up some more brass.

Do we need a pie?

Mmmm, pie shoot! :drool5: I've yet to place 1st! :mad:

P345Dude
01-09-2010, 6:36 PM
Sorry we are going to miss this as baseball tryout ran longer then expected.

I hope to make it next time...

diginit
01-11-2010, 9:56 PM
That was fun, I was suprised that the young shooters seemed to like the 1911 and the shotgun over the 22mag. or rimfire. Looking forward to warmer weather when we can BBQ. I'll try to come up with some reactive targets. Ya need more Tballs and spinners. And a can of yellow paint for touch ups.

MRpink
01-16-2010, 1:19 PM
This sounds like a good event to introduce my girlfriend to firearms, I'll have to keep my eyes out for the next event. Been trying to look for events like these to help her get more into it, thank you!

diginit
01-20-2010, 10:10 PM
You're right, It is. She can try a few different guns and get a feel for what she would like to own. You are both welcome to try my 22 mags or 1911. If I can make it. The range has some target 22 rifles and a nice 12 ga for new shooters to enjoy. The range officers are really nice. You will both have a good time and your girl will learn alot. You might even win a pie.
Give it a shot....

RogueSniper
02-10-2010, 1:33 AM
Four days and counting down ... :)
Hopefully I can make it this time.

RogueSniper
02-11-2010, 5:25 PM
Currently reloading a bunch of .45 in anticipation of Saturday. How's the weather look? BBQ or Pizza?

Asphodel
02-12-2010, 1:33 AM
Hi, Rogue, Diginit, and everyone,

Its looking as tho we won't be getting any rain, but the weather will be cloudy, and not very warm, particularly in the evening, so I think we'd probably best just stay with pizza/potluck again this month. I'll be bringing the coffee maker, of course, and some pastries.

Next month, if the weather turns nice, we can go back to doing barbecue.....it seems to me that the event is in a 'holding pattern' until the weather becomes nice enough that barbecue and conversation outside will be enjoyable......until then, we just keep the event going, on whatever small scale seems to work out, give the newbies some good basic training, and have a good time doing some plinking.

I've been very grateful for the work that you and the other experienced shooters have done in providing basic instruction for the newbies. (and as I've said any number of times, the event is really about the newbies, so we need to find ways to bring them in)

I did get a bit more 22 donated, so we'll have plenty for now, and I've got some large bits of cardboard box material for cartoon zombie targets. If anyone has some spinner or other 'reactive' targets suitable for 22 which they could bring, I'd appreciate.

Actually, anything 'cute and bouncy' which could be hung up as a reactive 22 target.....but wouldn't leave a mess.....would be appreciated.......cat toy mice?.....little stuffed animal characters from China?

The only real limitation we have, other than bounce-back hazard or messy cleanup issues, would be that, for 'political correctness' reasons, we mayn't have human photos or 'humanoid' targets........I'd be willing to make an exception for cartoon caricatures of Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolini, just as a bit of 'tradition' or some such thing.

Remember, I got the Rifle Club membership to vote to allow the second Saturday event to take over the Saturday 'public hours' time, so we'll be beginning at 1400 (2PM) and running until everyone has done all the shooting they are in a mood to do......or have run out of rounds, whichever......just so long as we can reserve enough energy to clean up the range really nicely at the end of the evening.

Hopefully, we could keep the ambient noise level down a bit, by staying with 22's for the newbies during the earlier part of the day, then later run 'big kids time' with the more 'acoustically noticeable' weapons. (I asked Dean and Sue to please bring their cute old 410......if anyone has a few stray 410 rounds, dig them out and bring them, alright?) We'll have plenty of 12ga. rounds.

Who can bring a nice pie? (I will re-emburse the cost of the pie) Would anyone care to bring some Twinkies?

Is there anything else anyone can think of, for a nice 'fun shoot' event this Saturday?

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
02-13-2010, 1:04 PM
Previous dinner plans that I had forgotten - now I can't make it. I'll try to sneak out after dinner to join later.

diginit
03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Th next one is when? The 13th right? I have a newbie neighbor that may attend with her daughter. but I may be at a desert shoot.

Asphodel
03-11-2010, 3:33 AM
Hello, all

We may or may not be doing the Second Saturday event this month.

Bad news........I'll start a new 'thread'

C

diginit
03-15-2010, 7:58 PM
Hello, all

We may or may not be doing the Second Saturday event this month.

Bad news........I'll start a new 'thread'

C

:( :mad: :confused: