PDA

View Full Version : FL to CA transfer from relative

Cowtown44
02-15-2009, 3:17 PM
Ok, my father in law has some guns (CA legal) he'd like to send my way for good. How do I accomplished transfer?

69Mach1
02-15-2009, 3:19 PM
Have him ship them to your FFL for transfer. Do you have more details on the guns?

Cowtown44
02-15-2009, 3:52 PM
69Mach1,

No details yet. What details are important other than them being CA legal?

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 3:55 PM
well, if they are handguns not on the Roster, you would not be able to receive them from your father-in-law. However, your wife would be able to receive them from her father through a CA FFL as an intra-family transfer.

Cowtown44
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?

Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category PDF logo [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction PDF logo [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12078(c))

Above from the AG's website. So it looks like my father in law can give any CA legal long gun to my wife without the intra family transfer???

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Actually any long guns your father in law would give to your wife would be an intrafamily transfer and not normally require any paperwork per CA law. However, since he lives in FL, federal law requires the transfer go through a dealer since he and your wife are not federally licensed as FFLs. The FAQ you posted only covers CA law, not federal law.

There is no federal intrafamily exemption to the requirement that unlicensed individuals of different states must use an FFL to facilitate the transfer.

Cowtown44
02-16-2009, 7:29 AM
Excellent point Jack. I've become so consumed with complying with CA law (thinking its always more restrictive than Fed) that I overlook this basic transfer fact.