PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever defended yourself/property/etc. with a firearm?

audihenry
02-15-2009, 1:51 PM
I know most of us like the idea of firearms as protection for ourselves, our families, our property, whatever, but how many of you have actually and successfully defended against any attempts to harm you or your family or steal your property?

Let's hear those stories: when, where, how, and the firearms used.

:cool2:

bohoki
02-15-2009, 1:59 PM
nope never had to use a fire extinguiser in anger either

tgriffin
02-15-2009, 2:04 PM
has it been 2 months already? :p. Yes I have and nearly got shot for it. Doesn't stop me from continuing.

JeffM
02-15-2009, 2:04 PM
I grew up on a ranch and have confronted poachers, mainly of the bass in our back ponds, while armed. Never had to shoot or even draw on one though.

Most of the time I was with my father, and he was the one doling out the ration of s*** to whoever it was on our property.

I usually stood back, off to the side, most of the time unnoticed until the "talk" was over.

Depending on the day I'd either have an SKS (Norinco para or a beat up original Russian), a Remington 870, or a Mini-14 slung, and either a Glock 23, Baretta 92 compact, or a S&W model 39 (I forget the dash, IIRC maybe -2).

My old man told me recently that CAMP or some other LE .org found some pot growing in a canyon between our property line and our neighbors. Could only be seen by the air, and it takes horses and lots of brush cutting to get down there unless you crawl through it. They were stealing water from our ponds for irrigation.

Makes me glad I was always carrying something while I was tromping around in my youth.

SJgunguy24
02-15-2009, 2:11 PM
Nope, but came REAL CLOSE. A neighbor(6'3" 240lbs) got upset at his Daughter 17(5'4" 100lbs) and slammed her head into the dash of his pick up truck. He was yelling at her so she ran over to my house. He followed her and was kicking the front door trying to get in. My stepfather was on the phone with the Police and I was between 4 people and the front door that he was kicking.

I had my G21 loaded with 230gr Hydra shoks. I thank god he didn't get in, i've known him for 18 years and consider him a friend. I don't know what got into him that night, but i'm glad his daughter got to my house before he really hurt her. I'm glad the Police showed up too. Still took over 5 mins but whose counting:thumbsup:

cudakidd
02-15-2009, 4:30 PM
Yes and no... multiple times...First time was when the neighbors daughters baby daddy showed up at 2 AM and blew out her car windows with a 12 gauge. When her brother ran outside the other guy had a bead on him while they held a rather heated conversation in Spanish. I had rolled out of bed at the first shot, had my girlfriend call 911 while I ran out with a .357 snubby. I realized that 1) I was 25 feet away in the middle of the night with a snubby 2) he had a 12 guage and I didn't! 3) I didn't speak Spanish so could not tell if he was going to shoot my neighbor or not. 4) See number 2 again!:whistling:

The guy ran off while I waited, Deputies showed up 10 minutes later...

My bedside gun is now a 12 Gauge and my wifes is a 20!

Second time, was with a large group of woman in a dog obedience training club camping up in the mountains. A felon and his girlfriend were camping nearby, he got drunk and tried to leave. And when she hid car keys from him he violently assaulted her in front of all of us. I was the only guy, and had that same .357 (thank God for Federal LEO status and Kern County CCW) I held him until Deputies arrived about 30 minutes later,

More stories like that too...

audihenry
02-15-2009, 5:01 PM
It seems like most of those involve other crazy people and their crap with you guys caught in the middle. What I had in mind was deliberate attempt to harm you or take your belongings and you standing up for it.

nick
02-15-2009, 5:21 PM
Did that in the military all the time :p

strega7
02-15-2009, 5:52 PM
When I was young (7ish) my mom picked up a 30-30 off of the jeep at my grandparents ranch when a guy started to climb over the gate. Now to put this into context, my father was on our side of the gate, my little sister standing next to him, and the guy was reaching behind his back as he set foot on the gate. He was coming to retrieve his dog that was resting in front of our barn. He had a whole pack of them that he was using to run deer on the neighbors property and this one got away and came to us. When he said, "I'm hear to get my dog", my dad said, "lets just talk about that". Dad wanted to voice his displeasure about the guys use/treatment of the dog before handing it over. This guy didn't seem to care and when he set foot on the gate to climb over, mom picked up the rifle and levered one into the chamber. She was about 30 feet back, but the sound was LOUD. He said, "Missy if you pick that thing up, you'd better know how to use it." She simply said, "Don't worry, I know how." Thats when dad said, "J___ C____ no ones going to get shot over a stupid dog!" The guy was reaching for a leash he had in his back pocket. They had more words, he got his dog, and the guy left. Never had anymore dogs come to visit.;)

The closest I've come, was to have my wife pull out my P94 and hold it on her leg while sitting in the car. We were returning from Sacramento, driving up the 101 one rainy night and she got a bloody nose (gets them after having a cold sometimes). I took the next off ramp in the middle of nowhere to stop and get something out of the trunk for her nose. No kidding, the middle of nowhere at 9pm, in the rain, at night and as I get out to go to the trunk, 3 adult males come up out of the bushes about 50 feet back! I quickly closed the trunk and as I sat down in the car and locked the doors, they simply walked by. I have no idea where they came from or where they were going. It was VERY comforting to see that 9mm on her leg.

I can not imagine not having my CCW. I hope the laws get reformed someday so everyone can actually enjoy the rights they already have.

ss385
02-15-2009, 6:09 PM
served in N ireland in the late 70s....worst thing you can ever see......bodies in bits...gunshot wounds.....its a last resort to shoot.....the older nam guys may say the same..itl make ya think!

w55
02-15-2009, 6:13 PM
Our ranch hand shot 3 dogs at 2am running the cattle and trespassing...we ended up in court for hiring a negligent person, nice huh? Actually went to trial, we won but spent alot of time and anguish...LE said next time throw the dogs in a ditch and forget to call us.

CaliGunOwner
02-15-2009, 6:23 PM
yes -- twice. shot once

gdr_11
02-15-2009, 6:42 PM
Many years ago I was alone in my apartment in Marysville in a neighborhood where there had been multiple break-ins with two separate incidents of residents being stabbed. I heard footsteps on my landing and sat in the dark in my recliner with my .357 cocked and pointed at the flimsy hollow core front door. I was almost in a daze watching the knob jiggle back and forth and then the door being pushed in slightly like they were trying to force something into the jamb.

I don't know what possessed me to keep quiet, but I just sat there with my Model 19 pointed at the door while the perp fiddled with it for 2-3 minutes. A car pulled in and the lights shining on the front made him leave in a hurry, otherwise I am sure no good would have come from the situation.

Now, older and wiser, I would yell out or otherwise make it clear that there was someone inside and that it was not in their best interest to continue.

Spiggy
02-15-2009, 7:26 PM
once, on some poor unsuspecting non-english speaking painters that were moving my furniture around

my aunt's fault for not communicating to me the fact that the house was gonna be repainted. Interesting story really, I bought the guys lunch afterwards because one of the guys broke down crying.

Not fun being at the wrong end of a shotgun

kingjoey
02-15-2009, 7:28 PM
I've had several situations here in Phoenix (this place is a haven for illegals, tweekers, and other criminals), but the worst one was when me and a friend were out shooting in the desert. Some drunk idiot about 400 yds back up the road started taking potshots at us with a M1 Garand. We had just stopped shooting, taken our muffs off, and were standing in front of the truck when a bullet hit the ground about 3 feet away from me and about the time I realized something happened, I heard the shot. We both dove behind the truck, him sitting on the ground behind the rear wheels, me behind the front wheels. The guy continue firing over our heads and him and his buddies stood there drinking their beer and laughing at us. The shooter had the RH door of their truck open (truck was pointing towards us) and was using it as a rest for the rifle when he was shooting. He fired a few rounds and paused, when he paused I rolled around the open door of our truck and grabbed the case that had my 6mm Rem721 and ammo off the passenger seat and dropped back behind the front wheel of the truck. I pulled the rifle out, dropped 4 rounds in the magazine, popped the bipod and scope caps and took a quick peek under the truck to try to guess the distance. I adjusted the scope for the distance, racked a round into the chamber and waited to see if he was going to keep firing. He fired a couple more shots and apparently the Garand needed reloading. I didn't know it was a Garand at that point, all I could tell is that the guy was standing behind the door of the truck with the gun pointed up and was doing something with the rifle. I turned around, pushed the muzzle upward over the side of the truck and dropped it onto its bipod on the hood. I looked thru the scope and saw the guy pointing the rifle downward from between the door and the A-pillar of the truck trying to cram an enbloc into the top of the Garand. His buddy was standing about 10 ft away from the car gesturing about how to load it (I'm guessing) and on the ground below the door I saw the shooter's beer can sitting there. So while they were standing there trying to reload the rifle I fired one round and hit the bottom off the beer can, it exploded making a white poof of beer and sending the can spinning about 10 feet up and back. When the can exploded the shooter dropped the Garand over the front of door and dove into the front seat of the truck. Around a second later his buddy heard the shot and ran helter-skelter for the back of the truck (they had one of those SnugTop/shorty camper shells on it). The other two guys were on the LH side of the truck and they went running for the back of the truck as well. The guy in the cab layed low and didn't pop up at all, the other three kept peeking around the sides and top of the camper. I put the remaining three rounds into the ground on either side of the truck very close to where the three guys in the back were standing. When I was reloading they peeked around, dogpiled into the truck and took off driving while keeping their heads out of sight, the poor truck must have ran over half a dozen manzanita bushes and other stuff while they were driving blind. I have never gone shooting out there since then. When we go shooting in the desert, I still bring that 6mm even if I don't plan on shooting it :(

copenhagen269
02-15-2009, 7:45 PM
That is a crazy story:surrender:

pullnshoot25
02-15-2009, 7:46 PM
I've had several situations here in Phoenix (this place is a haven for illegals, tweekers, and other criminals), but the worst one was when me and a friend were out shooting in the desert. Some drunk idiot about 400 yds back up the road started taking potshots at us with a M1 Garand. We had just stopped shooting, taken our muffs off, and were standing in front of the truck when a bullet hit the ground about 3 feet away from me and about the time I realized something happened, I heard the shot. We both dove behind the truck, him sitting on the ground behind the rear wheels, me behind the front wheels. The guy continue firing over our heads and him and his buddies stood there drinking their beer and laughing at us. The shooter had the RH door of their truck open (truck was pointing towards us) and was using it as a rest for the rifle when he was shooting. He fired a few rounds and paused, when he paused I rolled around the open door of our truck and grabbed the case that had my 6mm Rem721 and ammo off the passenger seat and dropped back behind the front wheel of the truck. I pulled the rifle out, dropped 4 rounds in the magazine, popped the bipod and scope caps and took a quick peek under the truck to try to guess the distance. I adjusted the scope for the distance, racked a round into the chamber and waited to see if he was going to keep firing. He fired a couple more shots and apparently the Garand needed reloading. I didn't know it was a Garand at that point, all I could tell is that the guy was standing behind the door of the truck with the gun pointed up and was doing something with the rifle. I turned around, pushed the muzzle upward over the side of the truck and dropped it onto its bipod on the hood. I looked thru the scope and saw the guy pointing the rifle downward from between the door and the A-pillar of the truck trying to cram an enbloc into the top of the Garand. His buddy was standing about 10 ft away from the car gesturing about how to load it (I'm guessing) and on the ground below the door I saw the shooter's beer can sitting there. So while they were standing there trying to reload the rifle I fired one round and hit the bottom off the beer can, it exploded making a white poof of beer and sending the can spinning about 10 feet up and back. When the can exploded the shooter dropped the Garand over the front of door and dove into the front seat of the truck. Around a second later his buddy heard the shot and ran helter-skelter for the back of the truck (they had one of those SnugTop/shorty camper shells on it). The other two guys were on the LH side of the truck and they went running for the back of the truck as well. The guy in the cab layed low and didn't pop up at all, the other three kept peeking around the sides and top of the camper. I put the remaining three rounds into the ground on either side of the truck very close to where the three guys in the back were standing. When I was reloading they peeked around, dogpiled into the truck and took off driving while keeping their heads out of sight, the poor truck must have ran over half a dozen manzanita bushes and other stuff while they were driving blind. I have never gone shooting out there since then. When we go shooting in the desert, I still bring that 6mm even if I don't plan on shooting it :(

HOLY CRAP! That is a great freaking story, seriously! Like, you couldn't pay people to make that stuff up!

Now I want a 6mm rifle...

JBBenson
02-15-2009, 8:00 PM
Hollywood, 1993, during the last major recession, the riots still an open wound, wildfires raging, the city was on edge.

About 2 A.M. was woken up by a police helicopter right over my house, whoop whoop whoop the Nightsun lighting up my entire house and yard, police megaphones exhorting the suspect to "give up now, you are surrounded!", he must have been right outside and panicked, desperate to escape. Was he armed? Would he come in?

Me inside with my S&W 9mm automatic, 16 rounds (!) of Black Talon +1 in the pipe, positioned low but with a view of the door, prepared, no, ready and willing to shoot the desperado the instant he came through my flimsy back door. Bring It On! (The crime problem then in L.A. was really bad, and the mood in the city was ugly. I had recently been robbed at gunpoint in Hollywood. Everybody was fed-up.)

5 minutes later it was over. I don't remember exactly how it ended, but I guess they got him because I didn't have to shoot anyone.

But I scared myself more than a little with my bloodlust. I soon moved out of the neighborhood. All the way to Germany.

SDgarrick
02-15-2009, 8:28 PM
Hmmm very smart use of that 6mm, no one got hurt and they left you alone. I myself might have been a bit more vindictive and would have just put holes in the truck till they got the hint.

Jonathan Doe
02-15-2009, 8:30 PM
Had enough bullets fly by me and took enough bad guys to jail. Never had to shoot anyone. They all dropped the guns when I told them to drop them.

pullnshoot25
02-15-2009, 8:30 PM
Hollywood, 1993, during the last major recession, the riots still an open wound, wildfires raging, the city was on edge.

About 2 A.M. was woken up by a police helicopter right over my house, whoop whoop whoop the Nightsun lighting up my entire house and yard, police megaphones exhorting the suspect to "give up now, you are surrounded!", he must have been right outside and panicked, desperate to escape. Was he armed? Would he come in?

Me inside with my S&W 9mm automatic, 16 rounds (!) of Black Talon +1 in the pipe, positioned low but with a view of the door, prepared, no, ready and willing to shoot the desperado the instant he came through my flimsy back door. Bring It On! (The crime problem then in L.A. was really bad, and the mood in the city was ugly. I had recently been robbed at gunpoint in Hollywood. Everybody was fed-up.)

5 minutes later it was over. I don't remember exactly how it ended, but I guess they got him because I didn't have to shoot anyone.

But I scared myself more than a little with my bloodlust. I soon moved out of the neighborhood. All the way to Germany.

Your narrative method is like playing Max Payne... but why Germany and were/are you allowed to have your guns there?

kingjoey
02-15-2009, 8:57 PM
Hmmm very smart use of that 6mm, no one got hurt and they left you alone. I myself might have been a bit more vindictive and would have just put holes in the truck till they got the hint.

If I would have had my 8mm Hakim with us that day I would have been tempted to turn his engine block into scrap iron, but then they would have been stuck between us and the exit to that valley. It all worked out in our favor fortunately, I didn't want to shoot anyone, but I also didn't want to get in a shootout with there being 4 of them and only 2 of us. We had the advantage with the precision rifle, so there wasn't going to be any way of them getting close to us, but 4 people focusing their fire on the truck we were hiding behind was going to result in injuries/fatalities pretty quickly and most definitely a DOA truck that wasn't going to be getting us to a hospital. It was very disturbing to have a guy's head in your crosshairs and know that if he shoots you're going to have to shoot him and your chance of missing is slim :( I was looking for an opportunity to defuse the situation without shooting anyone, only had about 5-6 seconds from the time I popped up on the hood of the truck till the time I fired, it was a lot of time as far as being able to take a shot, but it wasn't a lot of time to be searching for a "Plan B", I'm surprised I hit the beer, was thinking afterwards that shooting the open door would have probably been a better idea and an easier shot, but that's the sort of crap you think about afterwards when you're not under massive stress and have plenty of time to analyze stuff. At least everyone walked away from the situation and hopefully the drunk *****s will think about that day the next time they get to drinking and start thinking about taking potshots at people :no:

gdr_11
02-15-2009, 8:59 PM

Great story!

Reminds me of another time when a friend and I were camping near Paradise. We set up our tent alongside a cliff that rose up about 200 ft. Just before dark some guys drove in and set up camp about 400 yards away.

Around midnite, we were jarred awake by gunshots from the other camp. Some fool was shooting what sounded like a .38 in our direction and the bullets were going through the tree branches above us.

We both yelled at the top of our lungs for them to stop because we were in the line of fire. The response was laughter and more shooting.

At this point Steve and I unloaded our pistols in the air aiming about 50 yds over their heads. The combined roar of 12 .44 mag and .41 mag rounds echoing against the mountain was deafening.

We heard mad scrambling noises followed by doors slamming and them driving off.... all in about 3 minutes.

We were young, pissed, and in no mood to deal with drunken punks with a pea shooter. We laughed about it later, but it could have been much worse.

I had completely forgotten about the incident until I read the Arizona tale.

freakshow10mm
02-15-2009, 9:17 PM
Yes. I got shot at. I shot back. He didn't make it. I did. Scary stuff.

AndrewMendez
02-15-2009, 9:27 PM
Had a guy trying to get into my backyard only a couple days ago, but the ca-chunk of my Remington 870 seemed to scare him away! Thank God i didn't have to fire!

ProlificARProspect
02-15-2009, 9:35 PM
Now thats what I call....Short and Sweet:cool:....Glad you made it out Brother...
Yes. I got shot at. I shot back. He didn't make it. I did. Scary stuff.

freakshow10mm
02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Now thats what I call....Short and Sweet:cool:....Glad you made it out Brother...
Me too.

The thought ran through my mind "die on your feet, don't you dare live on your knees".

That's all I needed for motivation.

dfens
02-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Well my story goes like this I'm driving home on the freeway and this idiot merges into my lane without looking or signaling nearlly hitting me so I swerve out of the way and then honk at him. He then has the nerve to start slamming his brakes in front of me too egg me on. So I get into another lane to get away from him, so when I reach the exit for my house I see a car in my rear view coming up fast. Guess what same dam guy again he's following me turn for turn, we stop at a red light side by side he's screaming he's going to kill me etc. kick my *** so I run the red light and try to go down some side streets.

I lose him for a bit then he sees me busts a U turn and is at it again, I get to my block kill my lights and park my car on my driveway as quick as possible. Run in my place and get my Beretta 92FS and rack the sucker, all while my mom has the phone to call the police if he shows up. So after looking at the window and not seeing him I go outside to park my car on the street with gun in hand the SOB pulls up. He opens his door and is about to get out all why shouting how I'm going to get it. So I point my gun at him tell him I will shoot to defend myself if he trys to attack me. I gladly tell him get back in your car and drive away he almost pissed his pants. Luckly I got his License plate number so if he ever shows up again the cops know who to bust.

Their is a bunch of times my father had to pull a gun on some punks too many to list and I can't remember them all.

Hell even my mom had to herself. The two times I know about was once when I was a kid I fell off my bike just took the training wheels off so I still was learning. And when I fell with the bike I accidentally bumped into a girl I knew. She starts crying like a baby not even hurt and back than I was like 4 or 5 I knew her father was a psycho he starts chasing me down, I ran as fast I could to my apartment and tried to get my bike inside but couldn't in time so I left it on the door step locked the door and hid. Mom is all what's wrong and the sob bangs on the door tried to get in, says he's going to beat me to death and kill me. My mom is scared out of her wits and gets her 38 snub nose and is ready to plug him if gets in. She called the police which scared him off and he was latter arrested and released. He destroyed my bike and was evicted from the complex. Dad felt so bad that he bought me a new bike the next day. Lucky for him dad was at work or he be dead at the hands of a 1911.

The other a weirdo claiming to be from save the children knocks on her door asking for a donation. She says no go away not interested but he refuses to leave says let me in. Works the door nob and is trying to kick the door in. Mom grabs the Beretta 92FS I gave her and the phone she is about to call the police even tells him. He laughs and says go ahead. So after that points the gun out the window at him to make her point across the guy books like a Olympic runner. Cops arrive but he is long gone. Few weeks down the road they catch him he was a serial rapist. Oh and that charity doesn't go door to door I looked it up.

Echidin
02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
When I was about 10 years some friends and I used our old Daisy BB guns on a kid in the neighborhood that wouldn't leave my driveway. It was equivalent to the showdown at Tombstone, with a whole lot of the cursing and a lot less blood.

eijjie33
02-15-2009, 11:45 PM
yes, almost.when i was around 15yrs old someone tried to breakin into our house.my dad is away on that night because he has to follow up on his investigation to another province,thus leaving me and my two brothers all alone.we were used to it so it was no big deal.but i guess this night won't be the same as the other night,it happend in the wee hours in the morning someone is trying to breakin into our house.my dad is know in our neighborhood for his collection of guns so probably that was the motive of the would be robber.so i woke up my brothers told them to keep quiet and lay still while i go to my dad's room to get guns so we can arm ourselves but my dad lock his cabinet with all the high caliber guns so i took what i can grab,which are .22 pistol,.22 riffle and luckily he forgot to locked up a .32 pistol which he keeps under the bed.so me and my brothers took position aiming at certain areas where we think the thief might get in.i tell you that was the longest two hour in my life.we never fired a single shoot not even to scare him off cause my dad told us if some situation like that happen he said to make sure the tresspasser is inside the house before we shoot so that there won't be any problem explaining to the police that we have to protect ourselves.

SDgarrick
02-16-2009, 2:56 AM
If I would have had my 8mm Hakim with us that day I would have been tempted to turn his engine block into scrap iron, but then they would have been stuck between us and the exit to that valley. It all worked out in our favor fortunately, I didn't want to shoot anyone, but I also didn't want to get in a shootout with there being 4 of them and only 2 of us. We had the advantage with the precision rifle, so there wasn't going to be any way of them getting close to us, but 4 people focusing their fire on the truck we were hiding behind was going to result in injuries/fatalities pretty quickly and most definitely a DOA truck that wasn't going to be getting us to a hospital. It was very disturbing to have a guy's head in your crosshairs and know that if he shoots you're going to have to shoot him and your chance of missing is slim :( I was looking for an opportunity to defuse the situation without shooting anyone, only had about 5-6 seconds from the time I popped up on the hood of the truck till the time I fired, it was a lot of time as far as being able to take a shot, but it wasn't a lot of time to be searching for a "Plan B", I'm surprised I hit the beer, was thinking afterwards that shooting the open door would have probably been a better idea and an easier shot, but that's the sort of crap you think about afterwards when you're not under massive stress and have plenty of time to analyze stuff. At least everyone walked away from the situation and hopefully the drunk *****s will think about that day the next time they get to drinking and start thinking about taking potshots at people :no:

Don't get me wrong. You made the right choice and it worked out for you. I only meant that In all honesty, I likely would have lowered the trucks resale value. But then, I never had to look at a guy through a scope nor had to deal with the adrenaline of incoming rounds.

Stormfeather
02-16-2009, 5:48 AM
I know most of us like the idea of firearms as protection for ourselves, our families, our property, whatever, but how many of you have actually and successfully defended against any attempts to harm you or your family or steal your property?

Let's hear those stories: when, where, how, and the firearms used.

:cool2:

Yes, no need to rehash it ether. I told the story once on here because someone genuinely wanted to know. I figure once is enough. As Freakshow said, one of us made it, and the other didnt. Nuff said.

freakshow10mm
02-16-2009, 6:05 AM
In the end, that's all that really matters. People get hung up on gear, equipment, details, but it's just two guys trying to kill each other and one walks away.

vwynn
02-16-2009, 8:59 AM
Nope, but came REAL CLOSE. A neighbor(6'3" 240lbs) got upset at his Daughter 17(5'4" 100lbs) and slammed her head into the dash of his pick up truck. He was yelling at her so she ran over to my house. He followed her and was kicking the front door trying to get in. My stepfather was on the phone with the Police and I was between 4 people and the front door that he was kicking.

I had my G21 loaded with 230gr Hydra shoks. I thank god he didn't get in, i've known him for 18 years and consider him a friend. I don't know what got into him that night, but i'm glad his daughter got to my house before he really hurt her. I'm glad the Police showed up too. Still took over 5 mins but whose counting:thumbsup:

is his daughter a hotty? =D:D:thumbsup:

CSACANNONEER
02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I had some kids shooting a BBgun at me when I was about 13. I was standing with this kid I had just met and didn't think anything of it until they hit my bike! So, I handed the other kid a firecraker and told him to light it. When he did, I drew the Crossman CO2 revolver from my jacket and simulated recoil when the firecraker went off! Those kids took off running!

I've also used a firearm several times to prevent loss of property/animals lifes. I've only had to fire at other animals though.

The way the OP asked this question, every time I've used a depravation permit, it would qualify.

nick
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I had some kids shooting a BBgun at me when I was about 13. I was standing with this kid I had just met and didn't think anything of it until they hit my bike! So, I handed the other kid a firecraker and told him to light it. When he did, I drew the Crossman CO2 revolver from my jacket and simulated recoil when the firecraker went off! Those kids took off running!

That's quick thinking right there.

CSACANNONEER
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
That's quick thinking right there.

Yea. Of course, having the airgun in the sleeve of my jacket, probably wasn't the smartest way to carry it. Oh yea, KIDS, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

PIRATE14
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes...details are confidential...

PIRATE14
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
In the end, that's all that really matters. People get hung up on gear, equipment, details, but it's just two guys trying to kill each other and one walks away.

TRUE....

peteboozer
02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
one time me and my ex were watching her parents house while they were on vacation. like 9 in the morning she come wake me up, shove one of there dads guns in my hand and tells me theres someone in the backyard. i think it was a .380. anyway i take it and go through the house and look through the back yard windows, dont see anything. then i see him in the sideyard making his way to the front of the house. then we here a knock on the door. its the ****ing pool cleaner dude with a brown bag. i answer the door and keep the gun out of sight. he was there to see my ex's dad. turns out he dropped by to show him some .357's he had in the bag.

Capt. Speirs
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
About 25 years ago, I lived on the 2nd floor of an apartment building. It was around 11 pm Friday night, heard a woman screaming. Grabbed my Colt 70 Series Government Model, racked a round and flew down the stairs with the gun stuck in the back of pants. Couldn't see what was going on, the screaming that now stopped was on the other side of the wall where the parking lot is. I ran to the end of the wall and turned slowly to see what was going on and couldn't believe my eyes three black males in their 20's one holding her down the other dropping his pants the 3rd watching. I called out "HEY, LEAVE HER ALONE OR IíLL SHOOT!" All I saw then was three running as fast as they can down the alley. Went to check on the girl after clearing the area between the parked cars. When I got to her, she was beat up pretty bad, I could hear tires squealing down the street. Mean time cops showed up, someone else called 911, and I disappeared with my gun, only to return later without it to give a description. I am glad I didnít have to shoot, this was prior to any self-defense training, could have gone really bad.

Bruce3
02-16-2009, 1:01 PM
About 25 years ago, I lived on the 2nd floor of an apartment building. It was around 11 pm Friday night, heard a woman screaming. Grabbed my Colt 70 Series Government Model, racked a round and flew down the stairs with the gun stuck in the back of pants. Couldn't see what was going on, the screaming that now stopped was on the other side of the wall where the parking lot is. I ran to the end of the wall and turned slowly to see what was going on and couldn't believe my eyes three black males in their 20's one holding her down the other dropping his pants the 3rd watching. I called out "HEY, LEAVE HER ALONE OR IíLL SHOOT!" All I saw then was three running as fast as they can down the alley. Went to check on the girl after clearing the area between the parked cars. When I got to her, she was beat up pretty bad, I could hear tires squealing down the street. Mean time cops showed up, someone else called 911, and I disappeared with my gun, only to return later without it to give a description. I am glad I didnít have to shoot, this was prior to any self-defense training, could have gone really bad.

wow, good job man!

vwynn
02-16-2009, 1:34 PM

if you were to shoot trying to defend the lady.. would it be justified? especially seeing how she was beaten up?

nick
02-16-2009, 1:38 PM
if you were to shoot trying to defend the lady.. would it be justified? especially seeing how she was beaten up?

Most likely, but he'd likely spend quite a lot of money trying to prove it.

Blue
02-16-2009, 1:40 PM

+1 rape in CA is considered great bodily injury but proving their motive would be up to a good lawyer.

vwynn
02-16-2009, 1:41 PM

can he counter sue for the time+money wasted in court?

ugh i hate california -_- i mean politician in california..

7x57
02-16-2009, 1:46 PM
+1 rape in CA is considered great bodily injury but proving their motive would be up to a good lawyer.

Hmm. Rape isn't the only issue, as she was beaten up already. You can't argue about that, and he couldn't possibly know how bad or how much more she would be hurt. It seems to me that this would help a great deal vs. the same situation but with the victim unhurt.

But IANAL, and have some pretty inflamatory ideas about what ethically justifies the use of force.

7x57

nick
02-16-2009, 1:55 PM
can he counter sue for the time+money wasted in court?

ugh i hate california -_- i mean politician in california..

He can sue, but the victory is doubtful. Mind you, I'm not a lawyer, just a pissed Californian :)

Blue
02-16-2009, 1:57 PM
Hmm. Rape isn't the only issue, as she was beaten up already. You can't argue about that, and he couldn't possibly know how bad or how much more she would be hurt. It seems to me that this would help a great deal vs. the same situation but with the victim unhurt.

But IANAL, and have some pretty inflamatory ideas about what ethically justifies the use of force.

7x57

Yea but if she's just beat up, are you fearing for her life at that point? I think it all depends on the situation. If she had a black eye, and you dropped 3 guys for it, I'd imagine the outcome wouldn't be so good for you. It's all up to you if you're going to pull the trigger, and before you pull the trigger you better make sure you do everything ELSE that you can just to save yourself from the system.

nick
02-16-2009, 2:02 PM
Or you can try to change the screwed up system we have. I think, them having been shot at that moment would be of a great benefit to society.

7x57
02-16-2009, 2:09 PM
Or you an try to change the screwed up system we have. I think, them having been shot at that moment would be of a great benefit to society.

The sober truth is that there are people that simply need shooting. It's win-win--either they are no longer preying on innocent people, or they have some scars to remind them why they should not. I wouldn't accepting trying to kill in such a situation even if you could get away with it, because punishment is a function of the courts later. But if it *requires* a shot to stop someone then I'd say they needed shooting. Not as punishment, that should come later, but as the universe's penalty for being the kind of person who will not stop hurting another without being shot.

More important, though, is creating a society where the state is on the side of the citizens and not criminals. Britain is the horrifying example of how far it can go the other way.

But the courts don't think so, because that's *far* too much like being a public servant instead of being a public master.

7x57

vwynn
02-16-2009, 2:10 PM
Hmm. Rape isn't the only issue,

But IANAL, 7x57

U ANAL? hehe jk

what does that stand for btw?

i think if a case were to go down... SOMEONE.. most likely the defendant.. would... (just saying) might pull the race card.. seeing how a white man (assuming Capt. Spiers is white) failure drilled 3 blackafrican...
no racist remarks here.. just pointing out what ive absorbed from my 19 years of life so far.

7x57
02-16-2009, 2:12 PM
Yea but if she's just beat up, are you fearing for her life at that point? I think it all depends on the situation. If she had a black eye, and you dropped 3 guys for it, I'd imagine the outcome wouldn't be so good for you. It's all up to you if you're going to pull the trigger, and before you pull the trigger you better make sure you do everything ELSE that you can just to save yourself from the system.

I should probably not think any more about what is likely to *actually* happen, but consider that he saw one woman already under control of three men. How easily can he see that she "only has a black eye"? If, say, I saw a woman held by one man and being hit by another, I would conclude that she's likely in very grave danger. Is it certain? No, he might just be slapping her around, but I'd say it's the most reasonable belief.

I wish the law also said that someone slapping a woman around needs shooting, because as a matter of natural law they do, but I suppose it doesn't. Realistically, though, I'm not going to be able to tell anyway.

7x57

7x57
02-16-2009, 2:15 PM
U ANAL? hehe jk

what does that stand for btw?

IANAL == net.speak for I Am Not A Lawyer. Useful to avoid even the appearance of giving legal advice, given that lawyers get to decide whether you were impersonating a lawyer (nice racket, that).

As far as the race card, it could go the other way--the jury might believe that if they were young black men they surely must have been up to no good. Either conclusion is racist, but you don't know which kind of racists you're going to get.

7x57

rayra
02-16-2009, 2:27 PM

Doesn't matter if she was beaten up or not, by CA law you can use lethal force to stop / prevent what was happening to her. To stop a violent crime and.or rape being perpetrated on another.

-

My own was a teenager party out of control, a couple houses down the street. Turned into a huge street brawl with about 200 high schoolers swarming about. Mutliple fights at teh center of the mob, moving down the street. Our house at a T-insection, my other neighbors likewise responding to the ruckus, on their porches. Saw more teen boys running up the street to join in, carrying baseball bats. I'd been calling 911, also had a pistol in my hand. Saw the bats coming to join the party and stepped towards the mob bellowing loud enough to get their attention, putting my former-Marine leather-lungs to good use. Angry and profane enough to get their attention and get them to disperse. Adrenaline up and quite ready to shoot anyone that decided to come at me.
Neighbor on opposite corner was on his lawn with shotgun in hand. Other opposite corner neighbor was a huge / tall biker / former-Marine as well, he was stepping in as well. Both moved in when I started yelling. The three of us had'em surrounded. ;)

Wasn't the smartest thing I ever did, but it was effective. Fights stopped, kids ran for their cars and GTFO.
Only thing that happened afterwards was the neighbor boy whose party it was came by to apologize for the scene. And there was a distinct lack of teen slack hanging about the neighborhood for a few years.

7x57
02-16-2009, 2:34 PM
Doesn't matter if she was beaten up or not, by CA law you can use lethal force to stop / prevent what was happening to her. To stop a violent crime and.or rape being perpetrated on another.

I assumed the problem was simply his word against theirs as to what was happening. So far as I know if the police and/or DA believe a rape was in progress you'd be OK unless the DA decided that an armed citizen was a bigger problem than rape. But I don't know much.

Neighbor on opposite corner was on his lawn with shotgun in hand. Other opposite corner neighbor was a huge / tall biker / former-Marine as well, he was stepping in as well. Both moved in when I started yelling. The three of us had'em surrounded. ;)

Wasn't the smartest thing I ever did, but it was effective. Fights stopped, kids ran for their cars and GTFO.
Only thing that happened afterwards was the neighbor boy whose party it was came by to apologize for the scene. And there was a distinct lack of teen slack hanging about the neighborhood for a few years.

So far as I can tell, that was how law enforcement was originally supposed to work. And the salutary effect afterwards is why it is *better* for citizens to take responsibility. Those kids knew the police would be gone the next day, but the homeowners would still be there.

In fact, within limits it creates a more just society. But try to convince people of that.

7x57

vwynn
02-16-2009, 2:37 PM

-

My own was a teenager party out of control, a couple houses down the street. Turned into a huge street brawl with about 200 high schoolers swarming about. Mutliple fights at teh center of the mob, moving down the street. Our house at a T-insection, my other neighbors likewise responding to the ruckus, on their porches. Saw more teen boys running up the street to join in, carrying baseball bats. I'd been calling 911, also had a pistol in my hand. Saw the bats coming to join the party and stepped towards the mob bellowing loud enough to get their attention, putting my former-Marine leather-lungs to good use. Angry and profane enough to get their attention and get them to disperse. Adrenaline up and quite ready to shoot anyone that decided to come at me.

I understand as citizens we do NOT need to control nor help out if stuff like that goes down.. meaning we are not liable for just leaving the scene. or something like that. forgot what the clause was.. so if we were to see someone in need.. we can just walk away n mind our own bizz.. gotta love the law huh!

however now we know not to have a party near your place ;)
jk good to see people working together tho!!

GO TEAM WORK!

capo
02-16-2009, 2:40 PM
I discussed my stories once online and got in a ****load of trouble, so I shall remain silent.

AJAX22
02-16-2009, 2:49 PM
I understand as citizens we do NOT need to control nor help out if stuff like that goes down.. meaning we are not liable for just leaving the scene. or something like that. forgot what the clause was.. so if we were to see someone in need.. we can just walk away n mind our own bizz.. gotta love the law huh!

You still need to live with yourself knowing full well the consequences of your actions.

To answer the O.P. yes, I have used a firearm before.

nick
02-16-2009, 2:51 PM
I discussed my stories once online and got in a ****load of trouble, so I shall remain silent.

Well, that's because mall shootings are really frowned upon.

TheBundo
02-16-2009, 2:59 PM
A possible fly in the ointment of shooting the 3 guys going at the girl is that she may have some underworld relationship with them. They may have been sent by a drug dealer to collect/punish, or a prostitution relationship. She may have then testified against the person who thought he was saving her. I think the poster handled it right.

Noobert
02-16-2009, 3:05 PM
A possible fly in the ointment of shooting the 3 guys going at the girl is that she may have some underworld relationship with them. They may have been sent by a drug dealer to collect/punish, or a prostitution relationship. She may have then testified against the person who thought he was saving her. I think the poster handled it right.

good point. also, whats the deal about using handloads in defence? is it illegal?

nick
02-16-2009, 3:05 PM
Not saying he didn't handle it right. The point was merely that the loss of the three scumbags in question would be of great benefit tosociety.

sorensen440
02-16-2009, 3:18 PM
Absolutely

sorensen440
02-16-2009, 3:20 PM
good point. also, whats the deal about using handloads in defence? is it illegal?
Use the search on that one as it will totally ruin this thread if its debated here

SwissFluCase
02-16-2009, 3:23 PM

Agreed. The worst thing you can do sometimes is come to the aid of a battered woman. They have a *very* bad habit of turning against the good samaritan.

It is also for this reason that a less-lethal option is a good idea to have. I like the idea of carrying OC with a firearm. I am also interested in getting the adapter for an X26 taser that will attach it as a foregrip to your OLL. Something about all of your problems looking like nails when all you have is a hammer.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

SwissFluCase
02-16-2009, 3:33 PM

-

We must have been neighbors at some point... :chris:

We had a situation much like yours a few years ago. It as another crackhead teen party that got out of control. Pretty soon there were about 50 to 75 minor league gangbangers brawling in front of our house. Pretty soon, one of them pulls a gun. I tell my girlfriend who is calling 911 to mention that there are now guns in play. I get her off the phone and take up a defensive position inside the house with my .357. I doubt they are going to come in, but I am more worried about a subgroup taking up a position in my backyard and creating another hazard for us. I am also very worried about stray bullets. I had to physically restrain her from going out the front door to see what was going on. :banghead:

The mention of the guns gets the police here instantly, which is a miracle as the police in that town were extremely lazy. They search the neighborhood, and find kids hiding in the bushes for almost 30 minutes after they show up.

We decided not to buy that house, and moved to a much more exclusive neighborhood. I really value snobby uppercrust neighborhoods now.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

The SoCal Gunner
02-16-2009, 4:03 PM

I think few states have good Samaritan laws but I doubt it would require you to put yourself in harms way.

You're right that you can walk away and not be held liable. The only time you would be held liable is after you did something to assume responsibility for helping the victim. There are other instances but those don't fit this scenario.

haodoken
02-16-2009, 5:54 PM
Agreed. The worst thing you can do sometimes is come to the aid of a battered woman. They have a *very* bad habit of turning against the good samaritan.

It is also for this reason that a less-lethal option is a good idea to have. I like the idea of carrying OC with a firearm. I am also interested in getting the adapter for an X26 taser that will attach it as a foregrip to your OLL. Something about all of your problems looking like nails when all you have is a hammer.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Just make sure you train religiously on shooting both while they're attached together. Sometimes sympatheic trigger squeeze may happen (i.e. trying to fire taser while squeezing AR trigger instead during high stress). :eek:

12:13
02-16-2009, 6:39 PM
Have you ever defended yourself/property/etc. with a firearm?

Nope, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once:D

shoupdawg
02-16-2009, 7:52 PM
Nyet.

jafount
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
in 1990, I was 21 years old and freshly hired on local sheriff's department. It was a Friday night and I was out for a night on the town in the Sacramento area with a friend of mine and our two girlfriends in the back seat.

The girls started playing a stupid game where the object was to find a vehicle with a headlight out, tap the ceiling and yell some word. The person with the most finds gets...well...whatever they wanted from the losers. Needless to say I wasn't thinking with the head on my shoulders and winning this challenge became a priority.

So, I'm driving and end up in the right turn lane at a Major Citrus Heights intersection called Sunrise/Madison Ave. I noticed, as I approached the intersection, a complete POS in the S/B #3 lane. I slowly drive by this POS which was occupied by three Mexican males, and look at the headlights, hoping for an easy point, but both were operable. I pass by the car, disappointed and make my right turn after stopping. I remember glancing in the Mirror and taking notice of that same POS that had just come out of the #3 and into the right turn lane. I quickly pulled into a parking lot and told my buddy I thought a car was following us. As I drove into this lot, the POS pulled in as well. I got to the end of the drive lane, which was blocked off forcing me to make a quick u-turn.

As I closed the distance with the POS coming opposite me, it suddenly turned in front of my car forcing me to stop. I angled my nose to put the hood of my car between these douches and myself, quickly opened the door and stepped out. The Driver and front passenger jumped out of their car, with the driver carrying a bat. The third person, quietly stayed in the car taking in the scene.

The driver who was yelling a string of expletives, wanted to know why I was
"looking at them" as he advanced the rest of the way around his toward me, now holding the bat up above his shoulders, ready to take a swing. I yelled "What's the bat for?" as I reached under my jacket and began drawing my series 80 from the shoulder holster. This guy, obviously pissed yells "to crush your f**king head. In one quick, smooth motion the gun had broken free from the leather it was in and was in my hand on target. I told the guy, "not tonight" as took inventory of what was happening. At this point, he says to me, "f**k you, my homie in the car has a gun too, so I point the gun at the guy still in the car, still looking at the douchebag who had now stopped in his tracks and I say "then he's the first one to die." This was enough to get his buddy standing outside the car with him to convince him it was time to leave.

To this day, I have no idea how I managed to come up with that smooth line in the middle of such a stressful situation. Had I not had three other people there who corroborated this, I may not have even had an independent recollection. Oh, needless to say, the game was over and we went home.

This was my first self-defense-with-a-gun situation. two weeks later I had my first pistol pulled on me while I was in FTO. After that, it got really easy to pull my gun in self-defense.

pingpong
02-16-2009, 10:57 PM
in 1990, I was 21 years old and freshly hired on local sheriff's department. It was a Friday night and I was out for a night on the town in the Sacramento area with a friend of mine and our two girlfriends in the back seat.

The girls started playing a stupid game where the object was to find a vehicle with a headlight out, tap the ceiling and yell some word. The person with the most finds gets...well...whatever they wanted from the losers. Needless to say I wasn't thinking with the head on my shoulders and winning this challenge became a priority.

So, I'm driving and end up in the right turn lane at a Major Citrus Heights intersection called Sunrise/Madison Ave. I noticed, as I approached the intersection, a complete POS in the S/B #3 lane. I slowly drive by this POS which was occupied by three Mexican males, and look at the headlights, hoping for an easy point, but both were operable. I pass by the car, disappointed and make my right turn after stopping. I remember glancing in the Mirror and taking notice of that same POS that had just come out of the #3 and into the right turn lane. I quickly pulled into a parking lot and told my buddy I thought a car was following us. As I drove into this lot, the POS pulled in as well. I got to the end of the drive lane, which was blocked off forcing me to make a quick u-turn.

As I closed the distance with the POS coming opposite me, it suddenly turned in front of my car forcing me to stop. I angled my nose to put the hood of my car between these douches and myself, quickly opened the door and stepped out. The Driver and front passenger jumped out of their car, with the driver carrying a bat. The third person, quietly stayed in the car taking in the scene.

The driver who was yelling a string of expletives, wanted to know why I was
"looking at them" as he advanced the rest of the way around his toward me, now holding the bat up above his shoulders, ready to take a swing. I yelled "What's the bat for?" as I reached under my jacket and began drawing my series 80 from the shoulder holster. This guy, obviously pissed yells "to crush your f**king head. In one quick, smooth motion the gun had broken free from the leather it was in and was in my hand on target. I told the guy, "not tonight" as took inventory of what was happening. At this point, he says to me, "f**k you, my homie in the car has a gun too, so I point the gun at the guy still in the car, still looking at the douchebag who had now stopped in his tracks and I say "then he's the first one to die." This was enough to get his buddy standing outside the car with him to convince him it was time to leave.

To this day, I have no idea how I managed to come up with that smooth line in the middle of such a stressful situation. Had I not had three other people there who corroborated this, I may not have even had an independent recollection. Oh, needless to say, the game was over and we went home.

This was my first self-defense-with-a-gun situation. two weeks later I had my first pistol pulled on me while I was in FTO. After that, it got really easy to pull my gun in self-defense.

Dude WTF, that was you? I thought you were eyeballing my car to steal! ;)

spddrcr
02-17-2009, 1:46 AM
I have yet to shoot someone in self defense and hope it never come's to that point but i have drawn down on people several times in my own home and like to think i wouldnt hesitate to shoot if i had to.

the one time i really wish i had shot the intruder happened early last year. I was supposed to leave on a thursday night to go shoot an event for a magazine and i wasnt really feeling up to it. I had an epidural performed in my back a few days earlier and i really hadnt recovered as much as i had hoped i would so i missed the trip and stayed home with the wife and kids. so friday night rolls around and i had just finished building a big screen into my wall for my projector and went out front to have a smoke. it was about 2:45 in the morning and when i came in i forgot to lock the door. as i was about to drill into the wall to hang a speaker i hear the front door close, the funny thing was i didnt hear it open. I thought for a second and figured it was my wife locking the door but then relized she had went to bed about 11:00 so she could get up early to take my son to his scouting event. i put the speaker down and as im walking up into the kitchen from the room im in i see a guy poke his head around the doorway into the kitchen.

at this point i made the split second decision that instead of going for a gun which would have meant crossing the guys path and turning my back to him, that i would just play it cool and diffuse the situation and if that failed i would grab a kitchen knife off the shelf or go for my karambit in my rear pocket. well the guy was a little taller then me and dressed pretty nicely yet stunk of alchol and his eye's were sunken pretty far back into his head, pretty much looked like a poster child for tweakers everywhere. the next problem was that he spoke very little english and kept trying to convince me that he had just entered the wrong house.

I replied yep you sure did and proceeded to get a nice solid wrist lock and shoved/pulled his arm up his back above his head till i heard a nice cracking noise coming from his shoulder, he fell to the ground and then got up pretty quick. we were just about to the front door at this point when i see my wife and son come around the corner from the other side of the house. the guy at that point opened the door but then turned back around and started walking back towards me while reaching in his bag. I pretty much at that point yelled at my wife to get my bedside gun out of my lockbox and did a running tackle on the guy and we both went through the screen door and landed in the front yard. my wife at the time didnt know how to shoot and i dont believe she had ever held a gun till that night, but i was on the ground not really able to move very much due to the procedure i had earlier in the week and she stood there with my gun and called the police. the guy had run away at that point but when i got up and got the gun from my wife i went outside and witnessed the guy trying to get into my friends house 2 houses down.

I told the guy to get on the ground or i would kill him and he did get on the ground and suddenly started speaking english pretty well. the police arrived very quickly as my wife had told them that she had a gun and the first thing they did was ask me to throw down my weapon:confused: I asked if it was ok if i placed it gently as i didnt want to scratch my HK which kinda took a little pressure off the situation and provided a chuckle for one of the officers.

well to end the night after they arrested the guy and took my report they informed me that the guy was 23, a local gang member with two outstanding warrents and was considered a sexual predator. in his bag he was wearing they found quite a bit of meth, a bunch of watches and jewelry and a large survival type knife, the kind with the compass on the end and a hollow handle. The guy ended up going to the hospital in an ambulance due to me breaking his wrist, his elbow and hurting his shoulder. he is currently sitting in prison yet his parents have threatened to sue me for hurting their son. his story was that he was drunk and wandered into the wrong house where i flipped out and started beating him and then chased him down the street with a gun. he was trying to get into my friends house cause he was scared for his life:eek:

after this happened i became more active with the local police and neighborhood watch and one of the officers from that night that took my report has been very good about keeping me updated with info about the thug that got into my house. he said not to worry about the family suing me and that the judge would laugh it out of court. the best part? his family lives about 2 blocks down from me and i see his younger brother walk by my house almost on a daily bassis.

there has been a couple of other times when ive had to pull out my shotgun but usually when some one see's and hears you press the magic button on the benelli m1 tactical and hears the shell enter the chamber they usually run away.

M1A Rifleman
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Does a BB gun as 13-year old count? If so, yes. Answered the door with it locked and loaded.

snypr
02-17-2009, 4:00 PM
My girlfriend and I were are my parents cabin in Shingletown (close to foot of Mt Lassen). It was just her and I for a weekend trip, at approx 23:30 at night, when I hear someone/thing jiggling the back door knob to try and come inside. I moved to the farthest room away from the door, still maintaining straight line of site onthe door. My dad keeps an old Ruger blackhawk in .357mag under the mattress, which I grabbed right away. I made my GF get and stay behind me. I announced loudly that I have a pistol and would kill anyone who has any bad intentions. Since I was very close to the front door of the cabin, I wanted to provide some proof of my claim. I fired 1 round into the ground approx 15 yards away......the blast coming from that gun in the late of night roared! Needless to say, what or whomever was jiggling the door knob, stopped. To this day, I do not know who or what it was as their cabin is surrounded by thousands of acres of mountains and trails. Since this happened, I have never had an issue since. I was about 19 years old at the time.

Noobert
02-17-2009, 4:08 PM
what if that was only wind?

Blue
02-17-2009, 4:12 PM
My girlfriend and I were are my parents cabin in Shingletown (close to foot of Mt Lassen). It was just her and I for a weekend trip, at approx 23:30 at night, when I hear someone/thing jiggling the back door knob to try and come inside. I moved to the farthest room away from the door, still maintaining straight line of site onthe door. My dad keeps an old Ruger blackhawk in .357mag under the mattress, which I grabbed right away. I made my GF get and stay behind me. I announced loudly that I have a pistol and would kill anyone who has any bad intentions. Since I was very close to the front door of the cabin, I wanted to provide some proof of my claim. I fired 1 round into the ground approx 15 yards away......the blast coming from that gun in the late of night roared! Needless to say, what or whomever was jiggling the door knob, stopped. To this day, I do not know who or what it was as their cabin is surrounded by thousands of acres of mountains and trails. Since this happened, I have never had an issue since. I was about 19 years old at the time.

You really need a flashlight.

snypr
02-17-2009, 4:32 PM
It wasnt the wind, as it was still. It could have been an animal, im still not sure. It ended up best case scenerio, we were ok and I didnt have to shoot/kill anyone.

You really need a flashlight.
yes, you are right. We infrequently used the cabin, as this was about 20 years ago, the rechargeable technology then sucked. If we tried to use a regular light, the batteries were usually dead. Now, they have much better hardware (of which I keep a few tac lights on hand :))

Turbinator
02-17-2009, 7:47 PM
yes, you are right. We infrequently used the cabin, as this was about 20 years ago, the rechargeable technology then sucked. If we tried to use a regular light, the batteries were usually dead. Now, they have much better hardware (of which I keep a few tac lights on hand :))

Just curious, how did you shoot into the ground if you were inside the cabin?

Turby

nick
02-17-2009, 8:35 PM

Then the wind left in a hurry.

gunsmithcats
02-17-2009, 9:59 PM
This one time in Fallujah and this other time in Rutbah

berto
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
One morning, hours before I wanted to get up, there was a bird pecking a hole in the side of my house. I banged on the wall and it flew away only to return and resume pecking. I threw a stick at it and it flew away only to return and resume pecking. I took aim with the cheap Big 5 Daisy pistol. The bird dropped like a rock. I went back to sleep.

I hope that's as exciting as it ever gets.

devildog999
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Good example of why you should not shoot at people that also have guns and are not likely drunk.

ShooterMcGavin
02-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Some ***-munch decided it would be a good idea to reach to open my passenger door to my truck, muttering something about getting a ride, while I was getting something out of the bed. He didn't know about my 5 month old kid in the backseat, but he did know about the .45 pointed at his chest. He opted to run wherever he was going.

Gotta love open carry in Arizona.

pullnshoot25
02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
One morning, hours before I wanted to get up, there was a bird pecking a hole in the side of my house. I banged on the wall and it flew away only to return and resume pecking. I threw a stick at it and it flew away only to return and resume pecking. I took aim with the cheap Big 5 Daisy pistol. The bird dropped like a rock. I went back to sleep.

I hope that's as exciting as it ever gets.

Sounds about right. My favorite is waking up in the morning to find the rabbits out, looking like they juuust might want some of my garden or lawn. Usually a 14.3gr .20cal pellet or a 100gr bludgeon or G5 Gamehead on a 26.5" arrow from my bow solves the problem...

oldschool88
02-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Never had to use a gun, had to use a knife once though. This was before i owned any firearms.

gqnamja1
02-20-2009, 1:35 AM
Few years ago I was dating a chick who lived with her sister in some S-hole apartment complex a few minutes away from me. I'm chillin at my house watching t.v. when i get a frantic call from her saying that a weird dude came and knocked on her door pretending to be some salesman. Being the naive idiot that she was....she opened the door :stupid: and when he see's a girl inside (apparantely alone), he starts trying to convince her to let him inside. She refused because she felt a bit uneasy about the guy. Common sense would be to close the door and lock it...but for some reason she sits there and listens to the guy while he makes up a bunch of SH** while slowly pushing his leg in through the door. Then before she knows it he pushes/forces his way inside and starts approaching her. She screams and her younger sister comes running out of her room to see what's going on. The guy didn't realize there was someone else in the house and when they threaten to call the cops, he quickly left. You would think that is the end of that....but my ex is terrified that he'll come back and is quite shaken up, so I head on over to spend the night and bring along my 2nd girlfriend a Beretta M9. At around 2am my ex is sleeping so im chillin with her sister playing computer games. Suddenly in my peripheral vision, i think i see a person walk into my ex's room. :confused: I think about it for a couple minutes debating whether or not i'm imagining things cause i've been up late and sleepy. But for some unexplainable reason my lazy azz felt the urge to walk on over to check it out. As i look into her room from the hallway I'm shocked to see this MF'er with a hooded sweater INSIDE HER ROOM DIGGING THROUGH HER DRAWERS?!?! I was so shocked the only thing i could say was WTF!!?!?! :eek: The guy hears me and for a split second we stare at each other.....simultaneously he's running to get the hell out of there and i'm running to grab my 9. By the time i grab my gun and run back out to the living room all i see is his back as he runs out the sliding door into the night. I had so much rage and adrenaline pumping through me that I ran after him barefoot, wearing nothing but boxers, gun in hand. I chased him for a good 5 mins before I ran out of breath (im so out of shape i get winded walking up 10 steps to get to the 2nd floor of my house lol). I was so pissed off/frustrated at this point that I aim my gun at him and consider wasting this low-life, dirtbag, piece of SH** MF'er, that doesn't deserve to live. :25: I'm confident with my headshot abilities from pretty long distance at the indoor range near me...but its a whole different story when 1) its dark 2) i was breathing so hard i could barely raise my arm let alone hold it still 3) this lil BI**CH could run...and put some distance between us. At that point I was so out of shape i puked :puke: (sigh)....then walked back to the apartment and called the cops. Later, as i described the guy to the police...my ex and her sister said the creepy "salesman" that scared them earlier that day was a black dude that fit the same description. Apparantly he got in threw the sliding door which i left cracked open because it was a super hot socal summer. The police told us they had several complaints filed that week from other neighbors about an aggressive black salesman who tried to force his way into their homes. One 15 yr old girl (living 7 complexes down from my ex) was home alone after walking home from school and got raped by this piece of SH*T. Needless to say, my ex immediately moved out that same week (she broke her lease but the apartment owner didn't charge her for fear of more "bad publicity"). Looking back on the whole incident now I could only imagine what he would've done to my ex had I not been there. I have a zero tolerance policy for S-bags that commit crimes against women and children...and if i knew what he had done without hesitation i DEFINITELY would have unloaded a full clip into his worthless body :36: (then eat a hamburger, go to bed, and sleep like a baby knowing there's 1 less child raping piece of SH*T out on the streets). In lite of this incident i bought my mom a gun, take her shooting, and always have a loaded piece under every mattress in my home. Neways...sorry a simple response turned into a god daym book. Word to the wise....don't ever open the door for a stranger period. If its something important they'll leave a note. (To prove my point, another one of my ex's dads got shot several times and robbed in mid-afternoon by gangbangers who knocked on his door...then pulled guns and burst in when he opened it...luckily he survived)

BigBamBoo
02-20-2009, 3:11 PM

andrewj
02-22-2009, 1:04 AM
My dad has quite a few stories involing home defense/neighbor's home defense.

One story that stands out from the rest go as follows. It was very late; 2-3am. My dad was sick as a DOG and was throwing up just about every hour. On one of his trips to the bathroom that night, he notices out his bathroom window that a van pulled into our couldesac. The driver got out of the van and went to the side sliding door and opened it. My dad could swear he heard muffled voices and saw restrained legs kicking. He said it was hard to be certian though, especially in his condition. In situations like this, he would normally grab a flashlight, and his Walther PP or Beretta 92 (not sure which he used for home defense). But this night, he was in no condition to investigate the matter. He wasnt even certain if he was truly seeing or experiencing those things anyway. He went back to bed. The next day he read in the paper about an armed robbery/kidnapping. The paper described the vehicle used as a van with a large sliding door. The paper went on to say that they robbers were each carrying a MAC 10. Had my dad went out that night, he probably wouldnt be alive today.