PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need to PPT a long gun?

bubbapug1
02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I bought a Yugo SKS a few weeks back. Both the seller and I arrived at Turners in West Covina to do the PPT. Of course they were backed up as it was Saturday.

The gun manager asked us what we were doing there and we said we would like to PPT the SKS. He commented that a PPTwas not an issue, but since there was no registry for long guns in California a PPT was NOT MANDATORY as the state did not keep records on transfers of long guns, and he added if both buyer and seller were comfortable with the knowledge the gun was in legal posession of the seller, and the buyer was legally able to purchase a gun, that a cash deal with no PPT was legal in California.:confused::confused:

I was kind of surprised to hear him say this, and we did the PPT anyway, but does anyone know the answers to these few questions?

1. Is it true the state does not keep records of who owns what long gun?

2. Was the clerk right in stating there is only a registry database for pistols and not for rifles?

3. Is it acceptable to not do a PPT when transferring a long gun between two individuals who are legally able to own a long gun?

4. If the gun serial numbers are not in a database how would the state ever know a PPT was not done??

Anyone have any knowledge in this area?

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 12:31 PM
1. Is it true the state does not keep records of who owns what long gun? true

2. Was the clerk right in stating there is only a registry database for pistols and not for rifles? true, only for handguns and rifles that are AWs or 50BMGs.

3. Is it acceptable to not do a PPT when transferring a long gun between two individuals who are legally able to own a long gun?no, it would be a violation of state law to transfer a long gun that is less than 50 years old without a PPT, except for certain situations like a intrafamily transfer.

4. If the gun serial numbers are not in a database how would the state ever know a PPT was not done??
If they wanted to, they may be able to check the 4473's and find out that way.

hawk1
02-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh man. Thats totally wrong on all levels. Even the feds would not be happy with that guy spewing such nonsense.

Not sure if you're sks was curio or not, but either way, the dude was totally wrong.

Saigon1965
02-15-2009, 12:37 PM
He was very wrong as Yugo SKS are not C&R qualified -

bwiese
02-15-2009, 12:47 PM
The gun manager asked us what we were doing there and we said we would like to PPT the SKS. He commented that a PPTwas not an issue, but since there was no registry for long guns in California a PPT was NOT MANDATORY as the state did not keep records on transfers of long guns, and he added if both buyer and seller were comfortable with the knowledge the gun was in legal posession of the seller, and the buyer was legally able to purchase a gun, that a cash deal with no PPT was legal in California

That Turner's employee is advoicating criminal activity if that SKS is not a C&R (which it apparently isn't).

Just because something isn't fully tracked doesn't mean there's not a requirement for an FFL to intermediate between the private parties.

True. It's indirectly available investigation should warrant it.

2. Was the clerk right in stating there is only a registry database for pistols and not for rifles?

True, but irrelevant to his recommendation of committing a crime.

3. Is it acceptable to not do a PPT when transferring a long
gun between two individuals who are legally able to own a long gun?

No. Ordinary (non-antique) long guns must be transferred thru an FFL in CA.

Only real exceptions are inheritance/bequests, or lineal intrafamily transfers.

You're equating reduced proof of a crime with lack of a crime.

If something happens to that gun (lost/stolen, etc.) and traces are run, it'll somehow come back to the relevant parties misbehavior.

FortCourageArmory
02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
What everyone else has already said.... While there is no true "registration" of long guns in CA, state law requires all long guns less than 50 years old and not a C&R to be transfered via PPT (unless it's an intrafamilial transfer, of course). The PPT is a check on the eligibility of the purchaser to own firearms even though there is no way for CA to know what is being transfered. The guy giving out this info is massively uninformed. I would aviod that particular store in the future.

bubbapug1
02-15-2009, 1:29 PM
Hey, you guys are really a wealth of information. Thanks. I am glad we did the PPT, but others standing around for one may have chosen differently.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-15-2009, 1:48 PM
He was very wrong as Yugo SKS are not C&R qualified -

Just to be clear, Yugo SKS's are C&R qualified. They are listed by name on BATFE's C&R list. California law uses the same definition for C&R as the Feds do. But Yugo SKS's are still required to be transfered through a Dealer in California because they are not yet 50 years old.

pTa
02-15-2009, 2:29 PM
You did the right thing
I bet that store manager condones speeding and doing hard drugs

bubbapug1
02-15-2009, 5:19 PM
I don't know about speeding but

bubbapug1
02-15-2009, 5:20 PM
you do know i was kidding, we didn't buy anything from him at all

DDT
02-15-2009, 5:52 PM
Even the feds would not be happy with that guy spewing such nonsense.

Why? Is there a Federal law requiring long arms to be transferred via a licensed dealer that I am unaware of?

vrand
02-15-2009, 5:58 PM
Why? Is there a Federal law requiring long arms to be transferred via a licensed dealer that I am unaware of?

I haven't heard of one :confused:

5150Marcelo
02-15-2009, 6:03 PM

true

FALSE!!!!!!!

Ive had San Bernardino Sheriff check my rifles once while out on a trip shooting and they ran the numbers off my rifle, and came back with my name and address.

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 6:07 PM
FALSE!!!!!!!

Ive had San Bernardino Sheriff check my rifles once while out on a trip shooting and they ran the numbers off my rifle, and came back with my name and address.

Well, the DROS that gets sent to CADOJ does not have any rifle-specific info, so I'd guess that maybe you had some registered AWs or had done a volreg on them. Otherwise, the only way that I know of that they'd have that info would be to start recording 4473s and putting them in a database. Haven't heard anything about CA doing that on a widescale process.

motorhead
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
it would be interesting to catch them at that since it's forbidden by gca68 unless the firearms in question were used in a crime. wouldn't that make a lovely case?

bwiese
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Well, the DROS that gets sent to CADOJ does not have any rifle-specific info, so I'd guess that maybe you had some registered AWs or had done a volreg on them. Otherwise, the only way that I know of that they'd have that info would be to start recording 4473s and putting them in a database. Haven't heard anything about CA doing that on a widescale process.

The rifles may have also gone thru a LEGR process which may gather that info.

ke6guj
02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
The rifles may have also gone thru a LEGR process which may gather that info.

ok, that too. So there are limited situations in which CADOJ may have records of your specific long gun, but in general, there is no registration scheme for regular long guns.