PDA

View Full Version : self defense, feel powerful, protect my stuff... Loooosers

tlillard23
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
The CNN piece just posted...
What is the problem, why does everyone answer the question "why do ya'all have yer guns" with something that rhymes with "I AM/WANT TO BE A KILLER"

"she needs protection"
"protect my STUFF"
"defend myself"
"bad week at work, I like to shoot my stress away"**

and the one I HATE THE ****ING MOST
"I feel powerful with a gun"

WTF!
can't we own a gun to:
shoot competitively.
Focus on here and now, not worry about work/kids/bills (zen and shooting).
have a hobby that involves machinery from all countries/history.
(GF reminded me about the possibility of zombies...)

anything but "I really want to kill stuff, give me a reason"

**THey did happen to mention something about sissies in CA doing yoga. Precision shooting takes more focus, breath control, concentration and body control than yoga. Soooooo, that would mean shooting might actually be a stress reliever (only if you are trying to be precise/repeatable...)

audihenry
02-15-2009, 12:28 PM
What?

dondo
02-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Because:
1. I own guns to protect her, him, and my "stuff".
2. To protect myself
3. And occasionally I like to shoot as a hobby.

I don't shoot competitively. I don't need to tailor my desire to have a gun or guns to what is acceptable. Its my right.
On a side note....guns are a very small part of who I am. I don't wear tactical gear or put gun stickers on my car. I don't really talk guns to people unless I know them anyway.

gosparx
02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually... if I am holding my gun, I can touch my toes (with the gun)... so I guess it is like yoga!!!

But seriously, when I am shooting for precision, it's very relaxing because I do have to focus on breathing, and heart rate and a dozen other things. I know I'm in the groove not just because I'm hitting tight groups, but because I don't even notice the guy in the next booth over with the hand-cannon.

BUT... I am very VERY sad to say that shooting does not stretch me out or make me more limber... which is a must for me! Besides... how often do you see a range master that is as cute as a yoga instructor??? (It happens, just not very often) And I've NEVER seen (and wouldn't want to see) a range master in a skin tight leotard!!! (my apologies to the ladies here on the forum... but I am a guy. Just flip it around and compare a male yoga instructor to a male range master...)

Although when asked, self defense is one of the last things I mention. I say that I enjoy the need for precision (for myself and the firearm) and the history in the firearms and the 'mechanical ballet' that happens inside the gun every time I pull the trigger.

I don't actually shoot "for" self defense... but I shoot enough that if it came to defending myself (and I had a gun on or near me)... I wouldn't want to be the other guy(s).

Tarn_Helm
02-15-2009, 1:17 PM
What is the problem, why does everyone answer the question "why do ya'all have yer guns" with something that rhymes with "I AM/WANT TO BE A KILLER"

"she needs protection"
"protect my STUFF"
"defend myself"

WTF!
can't we own a gun to:
shoot competitively.

**THey did happen to mention something about sissies in CA doing yoga. Precision shooting takes more focus, breath control, concentration and body control than yoga. Soooooo, that would mean shooting might actually be a stress reliever (only if you are trying to be precise/repeatable...)

I would not be surprised if the politicos in power had orchestrated this as part of a larger, long range anti-gun propaganda campaign aimed at portraying exercise of the Second Amendment in a very bad light, with the ultimate in end in view of passing some kind of legislation designed to infringe our rights: ammo ban/tax, gun ban/tax, licensing scheme, ammo serialization, "smart gun" technology, whatever.

Be on the lookout for a burst of anti-gun "news stories" quickly followed by a hard push for anti-gun legislation of various possible sorts.

The Obama regime will no doubt be a long nightmare for us.

Prepare yourself for countering years of the lowest sort of political "dirty tricks."
:taz:
:beatdeadhorse5:
:rant:

GW
02-15-2009, 1:36 PM
Actually... if I am holding my gun, I can touch my toes (with the gun)... so I guess it is like yoga!!!

Me too if I use a rifle:p
re: OP
Its nice you have guns to shoot competitively but getting upset about liberal press manipulation of stories to make whatever point they feel like is a waste of energy.
You like to shoot competitively I like to plink
I like to hunt and I like the fact that I am able to defend me and mine.
I think however that both of us like to own guns, regardless of the reason.
The people that hate guns are usually the people who hate anyone who can take care of themselves as it points out their own inadequacy. Instead of improving themselves, they would rather drag us down to their level.

It isn't really about the guns. Its about little people with big fear.

JeffM
02-15-2009, 1:44 PM
Because:
1. I own guns to protect her, him, and my "stuff".
2. To protect myself
3. And occasionally I like to shoot as a hobby.

I don't shoot competitively. I don't need to tailor my desire to have a gun or guns to what is acceptable. Its my right.
On a side note....guns are a very small part of who I am. I don't wear tactical gear or put gun stickers on my car. I don't really talk guns to people unless I know them anyway.

+1

Race guns are for losers, unless of course the matches simulate reasons #1-2 that dondo posted above.

:hide::popcorn:

Jonathan Doe
02-15-2009, 1:54 PM
I have my guns because I like them. No different than collecting other stuff. Then I shoot in competitions. Precision shooting needs total concentration, and it is better than yoga.

rayra
02-15-2009, 3:50 PM

"she needs protection"
"protect my STUFF"
"defend myself"

WTF!
can't we own a gun to:
shoot competitively.

Perfect liberal positions. /spit.

And I note how you deliberately conflate all the actual real purposes of a firearm with 'I want to kill stuff'.

Frankly I consider your post that of an indoctrinated fool, one who quite liekly thinks the 2nd Amendment is for hunting and 'sporting purposes'.

Firearms ownership may be nothing but a HOBBY to you, kid, but I can assure you it is much more to a lot of people. Whom you apparently despise.

tlillard23
02-15-2009, 4:20 PM
Perfect liberal positions. /spit.

And I note how you deliberately conflate all the actual real purposes of a firearm with 'I want to kill stuff'.

Frankly I consider your post that of an indoctrinated fool, one who quite liekly thinks the 2nd Amendment is for hunting and 'sporting purposes'.

Firearms ownership may be nothing but a HOBBY to you, kid, but I can assure you it is much more to a lot of people. Whom you apparently despise.

Spitting, Big words AND now I am your kid. yeeehaaaw! What's with the accusations and personal attacks?

Ok, yes I see what some of you (haha Rayra) are saying. It would be nice to hear some other viewpoints (other than constantly talking about self defense) in the media. But I already know that's not going to happen.

**and it would be nice to hear "no reason at all, I just collect guns"

Thanks for the input

technique
02-15-2009, 4:26 PM
those answers were lame...but I shoot my stress away sometimes as well.
Those were just from the customers in the store...while at the range the guy mentioned the 2ndA.....plus they probly edited out anyone with an intelligent answer...hell that one guy admitted to voting for BHO in a gun store..if I owned that shop, I would have asked him to leave.

will227457
02-15-2009, 7:01 PM
+1

Race guns are for losers, unless of course the matches simulate reasons #1-2 that dondo posted above.

:hide::popcorn:

Really? competitive shooting is a SPORT......matchs are not firearms training......Jeez.....

get in a shoot out with a grand master and we will see who the loser is.....

Blue
02-15-2009, 7:03 PM
How about I have guns because I can?

dondo
02-15-2009, 7:27 PM

"she needs protection"
"protect my STUFF"
"defend myself"

WTF!
can't we own a gun to:
shoot competitively.

Also the problem is what responses CNN decides to post or show.

M. Sage
02-15-2009, 8:03 PM

"she needs protection"
"protect my STUFF"
"defend myself"

WTF!
can't we own a gun to:
shoot competitively.

The first three are completely legitimate reasons. Don't know why you hate them. The Founders believed in owning guns for those reasons. All three of them are legitimate use of force situations in Texas, too (yeah, I just had to slip that in there :thumbsup:). The fourth isn't a bad one, but that last one is stupid, I'll grant you that.

Shooting competitively is fun, but it's not the reason the 2A was written.

Really? competitive shooting is a SPORT......matchs are not firearms training......Jeez.....

get in a shoot out with a grand master and we will see who the loser is.....

Depends on the match.

Depends on the high master. In tactical style shooting, a lot of high power GMs would be way out of their element. I can shoot accurately (enough to hit COM at about 40 yards with a rifle) while moving in pretty much any direction. How many high power shooters, no matter how good, can do that?

Meanwhile, I can't hold the X at 200 yards offhand slow. HP is requires too much specialized gear for me to really be interested in... A somewhat serious rifle for it is only good for it thanks to the match trigger. You might be able to hunt with it, but there'll probably be something better. Meanwhile, I can shoot my AK for fun, hunt with it or use it to defend my home in the middle of the night. I like getting more than one use out of anything I own. But that's just me; always looking for more bang for my buck.

SimpleCountryActuary
02-15-2009, 8:14 PM

Well, after an early morning shoot at the range, I feel rosy all over. (And if my wife ever finds out about Rosy ... :11:

dieselpower
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Well, I'm of the group that believes firearm ownership is a Right for self defense. Everything else is a privilege granted by the government.

I must be proficient in my firearms training, which means I must practice, so the government must allow open access to ranges in order to fulfil their obligation of my rights. Its like saying, I have a right to free speech, but not allowing a forum or medium to speak.

I own firearms because they are weapons used to protect myself and others in times of need. Nothing more is required. I would hope the government, and others, allow me to use my weapons as tool in recreation and human needs (hunting for food).

tcrpe
02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, I'm of the group that believes firearm ownership is a Right for self defense . . .

. . against a tyrannical government.

Everything else is just fluff.

proudamerican831
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
deleted