PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle this?

Blue
02-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Friday, the family and I stopped off at the local Liberty Safe dealer. I've been mulling it over for a long time because I need a bigger safe, but space is a HUGE issue in my house. We checked out some safes, I took some measurements, and left with some brochures and price sheets. I realized that the safe that I wanted wouldn't fit, so I called in yesterday and got a price on a CN30. Supposedly they're having a sale this weekend, so he gave me the sale price. Quoted me $899 for the CN30 with combo lock, and $999 for the CN30 with the electric lock. I also got a price on the CN20 which was $749 with the combo lock. I have it all written down on my price sheet. I go into the dealer earlier today, and the salesman told me that the price for the CN30 was now $1099. I picked up a safe from him a year or so ago for my uncle, and I've dealt with the guy before and he's always seemed like a straight shooter to me and I honestly don't think he's trying to screw me. But what are the chances that he quoted me the wrong price 3 times? I didn't call him on the price difference because I didn't have my sheet with me so I just said I'd have to think about it alittle bit more and I left.

.22guy
02-15-2009, 11:27 AM
If he is going to jerk you around, shop somewhere else.

5150Marcelo
02-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Friday, the family and I stopped off at the local Liberty Safe dealer. I've been mulling it over for a long time because I need a bigger safe, but space is a HUGE issue in my house. We checked out some safes, I took some measurements, and left with some brochures and price sheets. I realized that the safe that I wanted wouldn't fit, so I called in yesterday and got a price on a CN30. Supposedly they're having a sale this weekend, so he gave me the sale price. Quoted me $899 for the CN30 with combo lock, and $999 for the CN30 with the electric lock. I also got a price on the CN20 which was $749 with the combo lock. I have it all written down on my price sheet. I go into the dealer earlier today, and the salesman told me that the price for the CN30 was now $1099. I picked up a safe from him a year or so ago for my uncle, and I've dealt with the guy before and he's always seemed like a straight shooter to me and I honestly don't think he's trying to screw me. But what are the chances that he quoted me the wrong price 3 times? I didn't call him on the price difference because I didn't have my sheet with me so I just said I'd have to think about it alittle bit more and I left.

Do what you gotta do bro. Id haggle him down. There are ALOT of safe companies out there now and times are tuff. Make them deal with you. You WANT the safe, but they NEED your money.

Blue
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Do what you gotta do bro. Id haggle him down. There are ALOT of safe companies out there now and times are tuff. Make them deal with you. You WANT the safe, but they NEED your money.

I planned on tryin to work a deal with him, I have the cash in my pocket. I just didn't expect the price to be higher than what he quoted me on the phone. Should I bring my sheet in there and ask him which safe costs the price that he quoted me? I don't want to turn it into a pissing match.

Pthfndr
02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
If they gave you a written quote on Friday take it back in and ask if he'd honor that quote. If he says no can do, ask why he didn't tell you it was a one day only offer. Then ask to speak to the manager/owner, let him know you're bought from them before, and ask them to honor the price quote.

If they still say no, take your business elsewhere and let them know it.

Flintlock Tom
I would recommend that you go back with your paperwork. Show him the price you were quoted, tell him you'll take it today for that price. Yes or No?
If he says "yes", complete the deal. If he says "no", walk.

Just my .02.

Blue
If they gave you a written quote on Friday take it back in and ask if he'd honor that quote. If he says no can do, ask why he didn't tell you it was a one day only offer. Then ask to speak to the manager/owner, let him know you're bought from them before, and ask them to honor the price quote.

It wasn't a written quote from him, I called him up and I wrote the prices down as I was speaking with him.

Blue
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Alright so I called him up, and he remembered our phone conversation, apparently he quoted me the wrong prices.

Sig226
02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, I would call him back one more time and explain that you really liked his product but found a competing model near your quoted price. I then would ask what type of accessories this "second" quote comes with that might force me to buy from him... :D

Free golden rod, a pistol rack, I donno... Talk to me. ;)

As was pointed out, there are other safe companies... They might be more hungry than this guy.

ETA: There is no "Obama effect" on the safe industry.... :-p

Blue
02-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, I would call him back one more time and explain that you really liked his product but found a competing model near your quoted price. I then would ask what type of accessories this "second" quote comes with that might force me to buy from him... :D

Free golden rod, a pistol rack, I donno... Talk to me. ;)

As was pointed out, there are other safe companies... They might be more hungry than this guy.

Thinking about it, at this point the wife is telling me to get the "FATBOY" since at this point its the same price and alot bigger. Do they play "lets make a deal" at places like this?

Norcalkid
02-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I would have just said this is what I was quoted and this is what I’m willing to pay. I will buy it right now. Of course I will be expecting free delivery. Go back and tell them what you are willing to pay. If you get it great if not look else ware.

SJgunguy24
02-15-2009, 1:21 PM
Whip out the cash and tell him this is what i've got and I was quoted this much($$$) for this safe (point to the safe) Cash in hand can be very persuasive. There is like 10 safe places in the San Jose area. If he wants the money he'll make the deal.

Blue
02-15-2009, 1:28 PM
I ended up just buying the Fatboy, it's a freakin huge safe for the same money. The best part is that the wife pressured me into getting the bigger safe :D

mur
02-15-2009, 1:34 PM
I ended up just buying the Fatboy, it's a freakin huge safe for the same money. The best part is that the wife pressured me into getting the bigger safe :D

Would you mind bringing your wife over and have a talkin to mine:D

G17GUY
02-15-2009, 1:37 PM

nice, you will enjoy it.

motorhead
02-15-2009, 1:48 PM
liberty makes a great safe. i don't know which mine is, my brother was the orig. buyer. it's like refrigerator size.

tlillard23
02-15-2009, 2:13 PM
I have noticed the local shop does the switcharoo price thing fairly often. And they are always having a "demo sale", or some other scam. you have to be happy with what you bought for the money. Having the wife push you might help things too.

Happy? Ok, buy more guns.... :thumbsup:

hawk1
02-15-2009, 2:27 PM

It's a trap! She has plans for you and it's gonna be like this...

http://catmas.com/images/2007/07/its-a-trap.jpg

Blue
02-15-2009, 2:29 PM
It's a trap! She has plans for you and it's gonna be like this...

http://catmas.com/images/2007/07/its-a-trap.jpg

:rofl2: I was thinking it would be a great babysitter if I ever needed to go anywhere, the whole family could fit in it :rofl2:

andrewj
02-15-2009, 2:52 PM
HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE! In this economy, its hard to turn down an decent offer.

B.D.Dubloon
02-15-2009, 2:55 PM
Watchoo dooin wit de ole safe?

BDD

Blue
02-15-2009, 2:58 PM
Watchoo dooin wit de ole safe?

BDD

Gonna sell it. Tweek338 has first dibs on it, still haven't decided if I'm gonna sell my little Gunvault yet.

thedrickel
02-15-2009, 3:01 PM
Gonna sell it. Tweek338 has first dibs on it, still haven't decided if I'm gonna sell my little Gunvault yet.

2nd's!

Tarn_Helm
02-15-2009, 3:02 PM

DTB!

(Dump that businessman!)

You've gone this long without the safe you want.

Go a little longer.

I would haggle hard if I were you.

Hell, I haggled down a pair of shoes two weeks ago.

They were already on sale.

I haggled an additional 10% off the sale price by just talking about how expensive everything was, how frugal I am, how bad the economy was, and so on and so on and so on.

It cost me an extra 30 minutes, but I saved $15.00.

Haggle hard!

It is a buyer's market right now!

(Except maybe in the realm of gun buying!)
:D:thumbsup: