PDA

View Full Version : What happened to AK friendly?

Rukus
02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
So what happened to all the AK friendly ffl's in san diego? I went to Iron Sights yesterday to try and do a ppt on a lancaster 3060, we were told that it was an AW and there is NO WAY it could be transferred. This came from the manager on duty. The lancaster in question was purchased in CA @ ammobros and does not have a pistol grip installed...

We had a very helpful clerk (forgot her name) that gave us the name and numbers of 4 other ffl's to try locally. I ended up calling at least 8 dealers. All of them except one flat out told me they don't touch AK transfers. The one exception told me he would have to call DOJ to verify that it would be legal to do it based on the no pistol grip.

Needless to say I now have to wait til next saturday to head up to Bright Spot to start the transfer. I talked to Chris at BSP and he said it would be no problem....

So what happened to the AK friendly ffl's in the san diego area?

69Mach1
02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Iron Sights has never allowed transfers of OLL. We would have heard otherwise. Did you assume? After 3 years you would think many more dealers would get on board, but unfortunately we still only have a handfull per county.

Rukus
02-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I had called a few days before and asked about any restrictions and any other specifics (its my first ppt) and I wasn't told otherwise. I'm pretty sure I was told something like "if its CA legal we'll do it"....

ETA: I guess I should have been more specific when calling and asking about the transfer. I think what put me off more than the confusion about them doing the transfer was the attitude and FUD coming from the manager. All he kept saying was "that's an Ak47, its an AW and you can't have that here, you can't transfer it, it has to be registered". Even after we pointed out it was a semi auto w/ no pistol grip or any other evil features.

It would have been fine if they would have said "We don't do OLL transfers." But the response we got was more of: that's illegal, there's no way you could have bought it legally, get it out of here.

I just had to rant.

xxG3xx
02-15-2009, 1:40 PM
i know its a pretty good drive but BSP is the way to go. every gun transfer or ppt i have done has been with them and they are very friendly and knowledgeable

SJgunguy24
02-15-2009, 1:57 PM
I would ask the manager "where on this rifle does it say AK 47?" Show him the AW flowchart and ask if the store is in buisness to make money. Then walk out.

RedDawn
02-15-2009, 2:03 PM
+1 for BSP. Great guys there who know their stuff. They've also got a friendly and welcoming attitude. I'll have to make my way up there again soon to check out some of the Lugers they had on consignment.

usp45
02-15-2009, 2:12 PM
did you call national police supply?

PolishMike
02-15-2009, 2:23 PM
Go to Royal Loan and Pawn. They will do it.

motorhead
02-15-2009, 2:52 PM
weak the dark side is here.

Rukus
02-15-2009, 3:20 PM
Royal pawn said if it was not a saiga, they would not do it.

As for thr mgr. on duty @ iron sights, I said repeatedly that it does not say AK or AK47 anywhere on the rifle. The rifle's owner explained how it was purchased in december from AmmoBros in Cerritos, CA. And we both pointed out that although it did not have a maglock, it also DID NOT have a pistol grip or ANY other "evil feature" installed. He looked at it for about 10 seconds and then refused to do anything with it, except repeat the same FUD over and over.

Dark&Good
02-15-2009, 3:25 PM
Where is BSP?

69Mach1
02-15-2009, 3:33 PM
Where is BSP?

Riverside, IE.
A huge +1 for Bright Spot Pawns service and attitude.

Dark&Good
02-15-2009, 3:41 PM
Thanks

Do you guys know of an FFL around San Francisco who would do a transfer for a legal AK?

PolishMike
02-15-2009, 4:14 PM
Royal pawn said if it was not a saiga, they would not do it.

Who did you talk to? I've transferred several AK's there up to and including last month.

Rukus
02-15-2009, 4:54 PM
I'm not sure who I was talking to. I asked to speak to someone about doing a ppt and the woman who answered said they do them. I then inquired of they would transfer an off list AK. She was relaying the info and questions to someone else. She got back on the line and asked if it was a saiga. When I told her no, she relayed the info again and then stated "we used to do those, but now if its not a Saiga, we don't."

Frustrating to say the least.

herburt
02-15-2009, 5:02 PM
People make the mistake of saying it's an ak-47. It's not an ak-47, it is an AK type rifle.

ENTHUSIAST
02-15-2009, 5:26 PM
+1 for BSP in Riverside if you are from SD Chris is a breath of fresh air from all the FUD that gets spewed around here.

I know Gussler's has done them many times times before have you talked to him he was at the Del Mar show and I know those AKs from Cold War Shooters dont transfer themselves... ;)

Also what is the deal with Royal Loan will they or wont they?

Rukus
02-15-2009, 7:32 PM
+1 for BSP in Riverside if you are from SD Chris is a breath of fresh air from all the FUD that gets spewed around here.

His knowledge and demeanor over the phone was indeed a welcome change from everything I experienced that day. Im not even bothering with finding another FFL in San Diego in part because Chris at BSP seems so knowledgeable as is, and partly because the person I'm doing the ppt with is in Long Beach so we were looking for someplace partially between us both.

Okami
02-15-2009, 7:42 PM
+1:chris:

i know its a pretty good drive but BSP is the way to go. every gun transfer or ppt i have done has been with them and they are very friendly and knowledgeable

SanSacto
02-15-2009, 7:44 PM
did you call national police supply?

+1, NPS has transferred a Saiga and a AKM for me. http://www.nationalpolicesupply.com/about.php

OCArmory
02-15-2009, 9:37 PM
There is always O.C. Armory in South Orange County:thumbsup:

ENTHUSIAST
02-15-2009, 10:27 PM
There is always O.C. Armory in South Orange County:thumbsup:

Bless your 2nd Amendment loving hearts!

Seriously SD guys it is worth the trip I vouch for Mike and Patrick being the epitome of what gun stores in SD are truly lacking a commitment to providing the customer with ANYTHING that is LEGAL in a 100% FUD free enviroment.

Thanks Guys! :thumbsup:

P.S. The drive can be made in less than an hour from most areas of SD.

SDI
02-16-2009, 9:28 AM
I am not really on either side of your issue, but I was standing there at Iron Sights when you were attempting the transfer. When the manager took one look and said it was an AK-47 and illegal, you weren't exactly forthcoming in describing that is was not an AK. I know you shouldn't have to know all the details to defend your rifle, but it seems in California that you do. It is almost like you trying to sell a jury on the fact that your rifle is legal.

Either way they would still not have done the PPT, but at least the manager wouldn't look at you like you were a criminal.

I also highly reccomend O.C. Armory as someone who will take care of you.

Rukus
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Like I said, I did mention to him and the sales clerk that it DID NOT say AK or AK47 anywhere on the rifle. I even explained to our sales clerk that i did not have the pistol grip attached. She even agreed with us and mentioned it to the manager that it was in the legal configuration. She actually called the shop owner to ask if it was ok to do, but the manager got on the phone and again repeated that it was an AW and they shouldnt do it....

Fate
02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Sad that the CADOJ still has so many FFLs whipped.

elrcastor
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks

Do you guys know of an FFL around San Francisco who would do a transfer for a legal AK?

J&R Sports Supply in Livermore is OLL friendly, i got 2 AR lowers + parts there.

dwtt
02-16-2009, 4:06 PM
There's a list here of FFL's. Did the original poster try calling the dealers on the list near him?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63050

Rukus
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I called no less than 8 dealers in my area. But again, the person that is transferring the rifle is in the OC so we were looking for a dealer midway between us, not necessarily one that is close to me.

Jesse996r
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Call http://www.faitharmory.com/site/ in Murrieta... They are OLL friendly.