PDA

View Full Version : CCW Reciprocity

danwesson
02-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Dear All,

I had a CCW class at the local sheriff's office the other day. During this class they stated that reciprocity of CCW permits was on dubious legal grounds, and that one should not use a California CCW permit, in Arizona (specifically mentioned this state as well as several others, the laws of which I'm not really familiar with). I meant to ask him to explain this further during the break, but I was distracted by the rest of the material, and forgot. Now, not that I really need to carry in Arizona, especially given their generous open carry laws(not to mention the fact that I'm not in the state that often), but I don't understand how it could be of dubious legality, when Arizonia law clearly states that anyone with a valid CCW issued by any other state may legally carry. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks!
DW

Doheny
02-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Lot of people talk out their butts when it comes to CCW law (even when the course is taken at the local sheriff office. Here's the info regarding AZ...doesn't read like it's on shaky ground.

http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/default.asp

Librarian
02-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Lot of people talk out their butts when it comes to CCW law (even when the course is taken at the local sheriff office. Here's the info regarding AZ...doesn't read like it's on shaky ground.

http://ccw.azdps.gov/reciprocity/default.asp

Well good for AZ! At least there are some reasonable people out there.

A number of states say "We'll honor YOURS if you honor OURS". California honors only California's, so those other states might not honor California's. You'll have to check with each state.

danwesson
02-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Seems pretty solid to me too, I was just wondering where the alternative view was came from, esp. since the instructor was a police officer.

sorensen440
02-14-2009, 11:07 PM
If there is an agreement its not shaky ground

Dr Rockso
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Seems pretty solid to me too, I was just wondering where the alternative view was came from, esp. since the instructor was a police officer.
People hear things and repeat them without checking to see if what they're repeating is true. Police officers aren't immune, not by a longshot (some of the worst misinformation I've heard has been from the mouths of LEOs). Fortunately with the 'net, the truth is at your fingertips.

kmca
02-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I guess we can all hope that H.R. 197 gets through committee and gets approved :)

CCWFacts
02-14-2009, 11:26 PM

Legally, AZ honoring CA's CCW is on solid ground. Practically, CA's CCWs are easy to forge and there is no reliable way to verify if a particular CCW is genuine or not. This is a shame, but I can imagine that a cop in some other state might look at a CA CCW (which maybe he has never seen before) and be skeptical about it, especially when there might be no way way for him to verify it. "You mean to tell me that this black-and-white printing on a piece of rice paper, with no serial number, and no number I can use to verify it, is a valid CCW?" Well, yes it may well be, but that might not be a fun issue to try to resolve in the middle of the night by the side of the road somewhere.

gunsmith
02-14-2009, 11:53 PM

a cop once told me that "if cops knew the law, they would be paid more and called lawyers, not cops"

You may however get a Utah or AZ or NV non resident CCW and be covered, it opens up a lot of the country for you to conceal in.
May I ask what county you took the CA CCW course in?

dustoff31
02-15-2009, 8:22 AM
There may be two issues here.

1. There is a difference between reciprocity and recognition. They are not interchangable. For example, AZ recognizes (honors) a CA CCW, even though CA does not recognize AZ permits.

Reciprocity is a formal agreement between two states to honor each others permits.

2. AZ does not honor an AZ resident carrying with another states non-resident permit. i.e., an AZ resident carrying with a UT non-resident permit.
In fact, UT issuing CCWs to AZ residents that did not qualify for a CCW in AZ is what led to the reciprocity agreement being cancelled, although each state still recognizes each others permits.

The story the OP heard is perhaps some variation on this.

danwesson
02-15-2009, 9:19 AM
a cop once told me that "if cops knew the law, they would be paid more and called lawyers, not cops"

You may however get a Utah or AZ or NV non resident CCW and be covered, it opens up a lot of the country for you to conceal in.
May I ask what county you took the CA CCW course in?

San Bernardino.

Sniper3142
02-15-2009, 11:48 AM

The Instructor / Officer was spreading FUD.

:(

Just because he/she was an instructor doesn't mean they know anything.