PDA

View Full Version : Private Party Transfer Newb

djslik
02-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I am looking to purchase a lower receiver from a private party for the first time and had a couple of questions.
1. Is it the same wait time as a regular purchase 10 days?
2. Does the buyer pay upfront to the seller?
3. Is there anything that could make the deal fall through and leave the buyer out the money other than not passing background check?

I'm worried if I hand the money over to the seller at the FFL and he leaves and for some reason the receiver was not his but stolen I could be out some money and I would never see the guy again.

jrsportssupply
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
1) There is the same 10 day wait as for any gun purchase in CA
2) Usually the buyer pays the seller upfront, plus the buyer pays the DROS and PPT fees
3) The buyer does assume minimal risk that the gun is not stolen. If the gun is stolen, the seller has left a LOT of information behind to give the police a trail.

eijjie33
02-14-2009, 10:20 PM
:D10 days waiting period same.
paying up front depends on you and the seller on what you have agreed upon.
you have to know first hand if you the buyer had any priors that might prevent you in owning a firearm.in regards about the seller leaving with your money i guess just use your best judgement of character.
just my .2cents.

djslik
02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Okay well I guess I'll have to use some good judgement then.

GXXRDRVR
02-18-2009, 2:53 PM
Hi folks,
Regarding the 10day wait, doesnt the seller have to leave the gun in the possession of the FFL dealer?
Thanks for the info,

Andy

djleisure
02-18-2009, 3:01 PM
Yes, the gun (or lower) stays with the FFL dealer during the 10 day waiting period. It is officially the buyers property while at the FFL. In fact, some places that have ranges will let you shoot your newly purchased gun while you are on their premises, but you gotta leave it with them until the 10 days are up.

GXXRDRVR
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, the gun (or lower) stays with the FFL dealer during the 10 day waiting period. It is officially the buyers property while at the FFL. In fact, some places that have ranges will let you shoot your newly purchased gun while you are on their premises, but you gotta leave it with them until the 10 days are up.

Thank you for the information. I am going to hopefully get my transfer done this weekend.
Thanks,
Andy