PDA

View Full Version : moving to CA

ss385
02-14-2009, 6:22 PM
new to calguns...Im moving to so cal and need the info on what to do to bring
my guns. have ak 47,ar 15, cetme,hk g3,and also need info on home builds.
Im in florida at this time but moving soon.
thanks....ss385.

EBR Works
02-14-2009, 6:28 PM
Welcome to CalGuns. Have a look at this first:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Spyder
02-14-2009, 6:30 PM
Ya, we'd have to know the make and model of them to know if they're listed or not.

Welcome to the board though, it is a HUGE resource and will help you in every way! What part of Southern California? Why ya moving?

jeffyboy
02-14-2009, 6:53 PM
Welcome! Read the flowchart and if you have any questions just post them. We're here to help.

ss385
02-14-2009, 7:00 PM
looked at the flow chart...seems eveything i have is illegal in ca.
Whats going on there?.....what do i do now.?

ke6guj
02-14-2009, 7:29 PM
Are they illegal by name? or by features? If by exact name, nothing you can do. If by features, there are options to californicate the rifles and make them legal.

Dr Rockso
02-14-2009, 7:43 PM
thanks....ss385.
The flowchart does touch on this a bit, but essentially there are two ways for rifles to be banned in this state. "Listed" rifles cannot be imported, period, no matter what you do to them. Page 2 of the flowchart shows those rifles. Mere possession of a receiver of one of those rifles is enough to get you in hot water.

Now, on to "off-list" rifles. If the firearm is not listed specifically, but is very similar to a listed rifle (say an un-listed Stag-15 vs. a listed Colt AR-15) you may possess it in California provided it conforms to the "features" ban, which states that semi-automatic centerfire rifles with detachable magazines cannot have any "evil features" such as a pistol grip or flash hider. The most common method to get around the features ban is to install a magazine lock, a device that makes your detachable-magazine rifle a fixed-magazine rifle as far as the law goes. Instead of removing the magazine by depressing the release with your finger, you can only depress the release of a magazine locking device with a tool such as a bullet tip.

We realize this is incredibly confusing, and intentionally so (thanks Sacramento). Unfortunately because of the way the ban is structured, simply saying you have an AR-15 (for example) doesn't really allow us to give you much advise, seeing as it could be either legal or illegal in several different ways, even if functionally identical to a legal rifle. If you post both the make and model of the firearms you wish to bring to the state, we can give you more useful advice.

Dr Rockso
02-14-2009, 7:51 PM
By the way, you can NOT legally import any magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds. Either sell them, keep them out of state, or disassemble them before moving to California (no constructive possession under CA law). Magazines may be reassembled here provided they are permanently modified to accept no more than 10 rounds.

dieselpower
02-14-2009, 8:19 PM
I hope you are on military orders, and maybe your command will allow you to register them. If you are just moving here for a job I think you need to disassemble any AWs (by name) and box them up. I think you can keep them, just not assemble them into a firearm. Replace the lowers and then comply with the law on features.

This is only my 2 cents and I am not a firearms lawyer.

Anyone want to confirm that a stripped Colt Sporter lower can be brought into the state and never be assembled?....:confused:

Dr Rockso
02-14-2009, 8:28 PM
Anyone want to confirm that a stripped Colt Sporter lower can be brought into the state and never be assembled?....:confused:
That has been speculated, but is not generally recommended. The gist of the argument is the law bans listed firearms, and a stripped lower does not meet the definition of a firearm under that statute. Would you really want to pay $$$ to an attorney to make that argument?

Tarn_Helm
02-14-2009, 8:51 PM

Don't give up your freedom if you don't have to!

This is a "may issue" state, so unless you have connections you will not get a CCW.

Stay out of here if you don't have to come here.

The gun laws here are bad and getting worse: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4380

:rant:
:taz:
:beatdeadhorse5:

ZRX61
02-14-2009, 9:10 PM
Bring ammo.. ;)

dieselpower
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I say please for the love of God...come here and bring as many voters as you can.

Store the illegal lowers, buy some stag lowers and the legal AKs and come on in.

PorkLover
02-15-2009, 10:30 AM

welcome to the world of neutered weapons.........

Benz
02-15-2009, 10:46 AM
you pay 10% state income tax plus 8.25% sales tax. All of which goes to walfare. and if someone breaks into your home and you shoot them and they DONT die. You go to jail. If someone is stealing your car you have to let them or go to jail. Just dont come to this ****ty state. i hate this place.

andrewj
02-15-2009, 11:01 AM
you pay 10% state income tax plus 8.25% sales tax. All of which goes to walfare. and if someone breaks into your home and you shoot them and they DONT die. You go to jail. If someone is stealing your car you have to let them or go to jail. Just dont come to this ****ty state. i hate this place.

Thats depressing :(

Spyder
02-15-2009, 11:02 AM
California sucks, blah blah blah. It's got its nicer points. It's got plenty of crappy points as well. I just signed on for twenty plus years here and still think about that a lot but if it was as bad as everyone says, I would have left...

Make good and sure you follow the laws and build your rifles right and you'll be fine.

ss385
02-15-2009, 3:23 PM
so what you guys are sayin is...i cant LEAGALY bring my guns to Ca
This makes no sence to me...purchased legal here in florida....Here an ak47 is a huntin rifle with 5 rnd clips.
My wife is from ca and wants to go back cause the food is better,and its warmer in the winter and cooler in sommertime.
Why do you have these strange things there.!

andrewj
02-15-2009, 3:26 PM
This makes no sence to me...purchased legal here in florida....Here an ak47 is a huntin rifle with 5 rnd clips.
My wife is from ca and wants to go back cause the food is better,and its warmer in the winter and cooler in sommertime.

It depends... when you looked at the flowchart, were your rifles listed in one of the appendixes of illegal makes/models?

USN CHIEF
02-15-2009, 3:28 PM

Hey buddy, I am a FL resident, you want to sell your evil guns to me before you leave FL?

ss385
02-15-2009, 3:36 PM
hmn....My ar15 was leagaly registered in cali before the SHTF.....to the guy i got it from.!....so its still ok.Thats what your flow chart says.

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 3:36 PM

For what specific reason are your guns not legal? By exact brand/model listing? Or by features that your guns have? If your guns are not listed by exact brand/model, they can be configured to be CA-legal.

And if you think they are listed by brand/model, please let us know exactly what it says on the firearms, so that we can confirm it for you.

You may be able to bring them in legally.

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 3:37 PM
hmn....My ar15 was leagaly registered in cali before the SHTF.....to the guy i got it from.!....so its still ok.Thats what your flow chart says.

No, the previous owners registration does not help you. perhaps the flowchart may need to be updated to clarify that.

Please answer the questions posed to you so that we can help you.

Tarn_Helm
02-15-2009, 3:45 PM

Get used to it if you plan to move here and to give up your right to keep and bear arms.

Gun law is different in every single state of the union.

There is some overlap.

But the law tends to be more different than similar when it comes to the important details.

"Assault Weapons" are illegal here.

The food is NOT better.

The weather is not that much different--certainly not worth sacrificing your freedom.

Do you have a Florida CCW?

You won't have one here.

CA does not have reciprocity with any other state--a Florida CCW is no good here.

And it is only a matter of a very short period of time before the law is changed here to make first time violation of unlawful CCW a felony--all the major law enforcers support that change.

Because the leftwing Democrats have a monopoly on political power in this state.

You will regret it if you move here.

You cannot even talk about guns in public in most places around where I live--everyone will look at you like you are some kind of monster.

The Hollywood propaganda machine is very powerful, and it makes sure that most of the people elected here are anti-gun.

And if someone calls the cops on you and reports that you have tons of guns, they will come and take them all--then you will get the eternal run around and never get them back: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=100386

:(

jaymz
02-15-2009, 3:58 PM
Get used to it if you plan to move here and to give up your right to keep and bear arms.

Gun law is different in every single state of the union.

There is some overlap.

But the law tends to be more different than similar when it comes to the important details.

"Assault Weapons" are illegal here.

The food is NOT better.

The weather is not that much different--certainly not worth sacrificing your freedom.

Do you have a Florida CCW?

You won't have one here.

CA does not have reciprocity with any other state--a Florida CCW is no good here.

And it is only a matter of a very short period of time before the law is changed here to make first time violation of unlawful CCW a felony--all the major law enforcers support that change.

Because the leftwing Democrats have a monopoly on political power in this state.

You will regret it if you move here.

You cannot even talk about guns in public in most places around where I live--everyone will look at you like you are some kind of monster.

The Hollywood propaganda machine is very powerful, and it makes sure that most of the people elected here are anti-gun.

And if someone calls the cops on you and reports that you have tons of guns, they will come and take them all--then you will get the eternal run around and never get them back: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=100386

:(

Are you serious? I think you have your magic hat on a little too tight. Your responses have little to do with what the OP is asking. If you can't contribute, keep your lame rants to yourself. Better yet, if you are so miserable here, pack your bags and go.

ss385
02-15-2009, 4:08 PM
I have a colt ar pre ban that was registered in ca that i got from the ca guy that registerd it.....also a century arms 308 sporter. my ak is ok because the wife has it registered....just found out . others are build at home guns with no serial numbers.!.....made from reciver flats and part kits.

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 4:14 PM
OK, the colt's most likely a no-go. However, double check the exact info on the side ofthe receiver. There is at least one Colt model that is not listed and is legal in CA. If not, just swap out the receiver to an non-listed one.

I do not see any Century Arms rifles listed, so that should be ok if not listed and in a CA-configuration. So, fix the mag and only use 10-round (or less) mags, or remove any evil features.

If your wife has AW registration papers on the AK then that is good. Be aware that you can't take it to the range without her. She can't lend it to you to go without her.

The homebuilts should be fine as long as you set them up in CA-legal configuration. So, fix the mag and only use 10-round (or less) mags, or remove any evil features.

ss385
02-15-2009, 4:16 PM
Are you serious? I think you have your magic hat on a little too tight. Your responses have little to do with what the OP is asking. If you can't contribute, keep your lame rants to yourself. Better yet, if you are so miserable here, pack your bags and go.

Why did i deserve that kinda talk.!????

ss385
02-15-2009, 4:23 PM
Thanks ke6....i apreciate the information.!
Dont know if you watch golf...but im from the same town as bubba watson and boo weakly.....just the way it is around here.

andrewj
02-15-2009, 4:37 PM
Thanks ke6....i apreciate the information.!
Dont know if you watch golf...but im from the same town as bubba watson and boo weakly.....just the way it is around here.

Are you familiar with how to make you rifle CA compliant? Mag locks, Monster man grips, 10 round mags, things of that nature?

ke6guj
02-15-2009, 4:37 PM
On the colt, like I said its most likely listed. But if it isn't, you could set it up in a CA-legal configuration. However, if you get luck and it isn't listed, I'd make sure that the guy who you bought it from properly cancelled the AW registration when it was sold to you. Otherwise, there may be an issue in which you are in possession of a registered AW that is registered to someone else. Even though it may not be in a AW-configuration.

So, we can take each firearm one by one, and figure out if it is legal, or can be made legal to bring into CA.

Ironchef
02-15-2009, 4:49 PM
thanks....ss385.

I'm moving to Montana in 3 weeks..I'll give you my CA friendly guns in exchange for your free-state guns and call it a day! :)

Just kidding, you wouldn't want my lame guns. But welcome to CG. You lucked out by finding this place as there is no other resource nearly as accurate and informing as this site regarding being a lawful gun owner in CA! Take some time and learn all the potential configurations you can do, and maybe throw some of your stuff for sale before coming..or store it broken down as others have said. Ask lots of questions here and you'll get the best answers possible.

Good luck!

ss385
02-15-2009, 5:49 PM
thanks all for being nice.....You guys would love florida.....buying from the guy across the street....private bill of sale..its yours...1 day wait on rifles....3 days on hand guns at a store ..also guns for sale in(i think you call it the penny saver in ca)...no ffl involved.....just like buying a used car.!
Anyone want a sterling full auto....just kiding.....my next door guy has one for sale. parts kit no numbers.....incredible
BMG is belt fed here.!.....never giving up my florida ID

bobfried
02-15-2009, 7:04 PM
thanks all for being nice.....You guys would love florida.....buying from the guy across the street....private bill of sale..its yours...1 day wait on rifles....3 days on hand guns at a store ..also guns for sale in(i think you call it the penny saver in ca)...no ffl involved.....just like buying a used car.!
Anyone want a sterling full auto....just kiding.....my next door guy has one for sale. parts kit no numbers.....incredible
BMG is belt fed here.!.....never giving up my florida ID

Damn that's pretty restrictive.

I though FL was as free as states like AZ, TX, OR when it comes to firearms. If there is such a wait than it's not that much better than CA when it comes to waiting period.

Blue
02-15-2009, 7:05 PM

I though FL was as free as states like AZ, TX, OR when it comes to firearms. If there is such a wait than it's not that much better than CA when it comes to waiting period.

No kidding. And BMG beltfeds are legal here :p

Tarn_Helm
02-15-2009, 8:10 PM

It is well to keep in mind that despite minute differences, Florida law is infinitely less inclined to infringe full and free exercise of the Second Amendment than California law. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Florida)

Florida has the following gun laws: "shall issue" since 1987 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Florida), "stand your ground" since 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine#Stand-your-ground), and "take your gun to work" since 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Florida).

The big picture clarifies things wonderfully.
:thumbsup: