PDA

View Full Version : Ammo - Gone in Less Than 2 Hours

Phil3
02-14-2009, 4:47 PM
I went to the Vallejo, CA gun show this morning (which I think opened at 10), with the aim of getting some 9m 124 grain and 45 ACP 230 grain ammo. At 11:45 am, the sales person for the centrally located ammo vendor tells me they are all sold out, and not only for today, but their entire weekend stock is gone. :eek: Wow. Saw some neat stuff there, but a bridge toll and $10 to get in, to end up getting nothing at all. :mad:

jchen76@gmail.com
02-14-2009, 5:20 PM
All of it? Or just certain calibers?

kcs1211
02-14-2009, 5:24 PM
Can anyone else verify this so I don't waste my time tomorow?
I always thought they keep 1/2 for Sat and 1/2 for Sun.
Damn, that would suck.

Inkman
02-14-2009, 5:30 PM
Well you do have the Cow Palace show coming up in a few weeks. Get there early.

We were in line at opening by the NRA table. The rest of the line snaked around like i've never seen at a Vallejo show. I grabbed 2000 rds of .40 and .45 from Miwall and a few hundred SWC .45 from Load-X to see the difference in SWC compared to ball from Miwall in accuracy.

We got our ammo and then walked around for a couple hrs and when we left, the Miwall tables were still a madhouse. Were you looking for factory or reloads?

Al

Phil3
02-14-2009, 5:43 PM
Early in the morning, the ammo vendor area was very crowded. A bit later, it thinned out some, and at 11:45 I inquired about 9mm FMJ 124 grain white box Winchester and 45 ACP in the same, but 230 grain. The sales person said he was sold out. I asked if he would have any for tomorrow, and he said no. There was plenty of other ammo there in many other calibers, and also ammo in 9mm and 45 stuff, just not what I wanted. For instance, there was 45 ACP 185 grain FMJ Winchester white box, but not much. By the time I left (shortly after noon) the crowd around the table had thinned considerably. I waited a while to try and buy because the crowd was so heavy. Lesson learned. Get there early, wait in line, and buy immediately.

- Phil

bohoki
02-14-2009, 5:55 PM
All of it? Or just certain calibers?

they still had a couple boxes of 25 auto and 7mm mauser

jasilva
02-14-2009, 6:10 PM
Still had quite a bit of .40 S&W as of 1 pm when I left. Marin Firearms also had PMC .223 in 1k round cases and he said he had quite a bit of 9mm. But the place was jammed and stuff was selling quick. Also saw quite a few OLL for $250-$300:eek:

edward
02-14-2009, 8:25 PM
The guy at the Miwall table told me when I was there in the afternoon (around 2:00) that since they are located in Grass valley, their boss was weighing the decision to send the resupply truck out with more ammo. Weather around there was crappy, so it may or may not have happened.

If they did get a nother truck O' supplies, they'll have more goodies tomorrow. If they don't get more stuff, they'll be stuck with what I saw when I left at 3:00, which WAS NOT very much. The large bulk 200 round + containers of all the popular calibers were sold out. I don't see them lasting past 10 tomorrow morning on whatever they have left.

grammaton76
02-14-2009, 8:29 PM
1. Gun shows have been getting like this ever since the election - if you expect to be even slightly picky in your ammo, you have to be out there standing in line for at least an hour before the show opens.

2. Usually vendors don't resupply on Sundays, to any show. If they're close by they might, but most of the time they bring stuff in Friday night and that's their only supply run for the weekend.

battleship
02-14-2009, 8:34 PM
You dont get much for a $100 bucks. thats all i could afford to shell out on bullets - 2 bags of 44 mag - load X
2 boxes of cheap 9mm - Miwall
1box of 125 grain 357 mag - Miwall
8 boxes of .22lr - Miwall

$10 to get in
$5 to park
$4 for bridge toll
+ gas

capitol
02-14-2009, 8:41 PM
why buy ammo at a gun show? by the time you pay for gas, parking, fees to get in and sales tax not to mention your time I would think ordering from the internet is a much better choice. plus it's dropped right on your front door.

the best choice is to roll your own ...

Gofasterdammit
02-14-2009, 8:53 PM
Well you do have the Cow Palace show coming up in a few weeks. Get there early.

We were in line at opening by the NRA table. The rest of the line snaked around like i've never seen at a Vallejo show. I grabbed 2000 rds of .40 and .45 from Miwall and a few hundred SWC .45 from Load-X to see the difference in SWC compared to ball from Miwall in accuracy.

We got our ammo and then walked around for a couple hrs and when we left, the Miwall tables were still a madhouse. Were you looking for factory or reloads?

Al

I must have been standing right next to you then. I was standing directly in front of the NRA table 20 min before it opened. Getting ammo was nuts. I waited 25 minutes at Miwall until they came around to me.

Inkman
02-14-2009, 9:53 PM
I must have been standing right next to you then. I was standing directly in front of the NRA table 20 min before it opened. Getting ammo was nuts. I waited 25 minutes at Miwall until they came around to me.

I had on the grey Glock sweatshirt. My bud did p/u a shotgun mag, bullwhip and throwing knives LOL!! No jerkey for us though.

Al

MT1
02-14-2009, 10:02 PM
What were the prices for Miwall and Load-x? .40sw & .45acp specifically...

RogueSniper
02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
From what I remember at the Cow Palace show, Load-X doesn't discount their ammo at gunshows. It's the same price as their online prices.

http://www.loadxammo.com/retailcat.pdf

Did Miwall have any powder?

The only savings you're getting at the gunshow is shipping cost and haz mat fee (if applicable).

If you're driving 90min each way, paying toll, paying parking, and paying for gas. Savings = ZERO

Buy it online, start reloading, or buy it locally and support your local gun shop. I buy most of my ammo at Tabor's in Millbrae. I want to keep Frank in business.

M1A1TankerTom
02-15-2009, 9:04 AM
well I live about 5 minutes from the vallejo gun show so ammo is way cheaper for me to pick up there than to pay shipping.

The show opened at 9 am. I arrived at 9:30. Went straight to the ammo booth and picked up 3 500 round boxes of winchester white box .45 acp 230gr for 150 each box. Not bad at all if you ask me.

I was planning on picking up reloads only but by the time I fought my way up to the front of the booth all the .45 reloads were gone. Which sucked cuz the reloads were selling for 120 bucks per 500. The guy behind the counter told me that he had never seen it so crazy before, he also asked if North California was preparing for some secret war that he did not know about. On my way out of the show I walked back by (around 11:00am) and they were all out of .45 and 9mm for sure. I heard a guy complaining about how he stood in line for an hour and they had no ammo left for him.

oh ya, and if the guy that saw me in the parking lot struggling with my ammo and let me borrow his cart is a board member and reads this...THANKS. 1500 rounds of .45 is no joke to carry to the truck!

Phil3
02-15-2009, 2:09 PM
why buy ammo at a gun show? by the time you pay for gas, parking, fees to get in and sales tax not to mention your time I would think ordering from the internet is a much better choice. plus it's dropped right on your front door.

the best choice is to roll your own ...

Ordering on-line would be fine, but I understand someone has to sign for it upon delivery. With no one home, that is not going to work. I do plan to roll my own, but don't have everything set up yet. And besides, went to the show for other reasons as well.

- Phil

Phil3
02-15-2009, 2:31 PM
After calling everywhere, checking on-line, I finally found some Remington 45 ACP 230grain FMJ ammo at a Big Five sporting goods store. Two boxes of 50. Each box was $49.95! :eek: I asked him to double check, and the sales guy did confirm that was the cost.

- Phil

gdr_11
02-15-2009, 5:33 PM
I was in Vallejo Saturday morning to pick up my mail (used to live there) and mentioned to my wife that perhaps I should stop by the gun show to buy some ammo. I shrugged it off and decided not to go. I am not surprised at the experience everyone had; just try to find ammo on the shelves of Wal Mart where four months ago they were always loaded. I have not seen .45 ACP on a Wal Mart shelf since November.

Reminds me of last year when there was this rumor of a rice shortage and everyone was buying it by the sack full. I was in Costco behind a guy who had 6 sacks on this flat cart. The clerk told him that there was no shortage of rice anywhere, and yet the guy told him he was not taking any chances.

We are our own worst enemy.

Meanwhile, I just ordered 600 rounds of .45 ACP for less than $15 per box of 50. And, I have never had to sign for a UPS ammo shipment; they just leave it at my door.

Phil3
02-15-2009, 8:16 PM
Meanwhile, I just ordered 600 rounds of .45 ACP for less than $15 per box of 50.

Where did you get this price?

gdr_11
02-15-2009, 8:25 PM
Natchez Shooting Supply. MagTech ammo, but its on par with White Box IMHO

bohoki
02-15-2009, 8:28 PM
why buy ammo at a gun show?

if you are there anyway you might as well buy something as you look at all the goodies

Phil3
02-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Natchez Shooting Supply. MagTech ammo, but its on par with White Box IMHO

Magtech is all gone now. But, did order a bunch of stuff from Natchez in various brands to see what my new Dan Wesson Pointman 7 likes. With shipping, comfortably under $0.40 a shot. Got to buy some reloading equipment!

- Phil

gdr_11
02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Not surprised. I spent a couple of hours cruising Cabelas, Cheaper than Dirt, etc. for .45 ACP ammo and 75% of items were out of stock. I already had some good stock, but I am going to try to keep 1,000 rounds on hand all of the time. Its a pain to store, but I would rather buy ammo when I don't need it than be chasing all around and paying premium.

Ditto on the reloading!