PDA

View Full Version : Used (private party) firearm purchase Query

nuke_em
02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Im not familiar with the Kali laws so Id thought Id ask here.

I have an opportunity to purchase some rifles, shotguns, and pistols at somewhat reduced market prices. Makes and types are unknown until I inspect them. The current custodian of these weapons has no idea as to their origins or validity of any of them. These could be legally obtained or could be stolen he, nor I, do not know.

The PD or FFL does not make a habit of checking serial numbers for average Joes like me so if I purchase, I suppose Ill take my chances in selling any of them.

Now onto the question: do I have to transfer/register these weapons into my name before I can sell them? I only plan on FTFs as I do not want to ship. I do realize that in the process if they are determined stolen or used in a crime that they will be confiscated on-the-spot. Hopefully with no liability on my part!

CSACANNONEER
02-14-2009, 1:11 PM
If they are over 50 year old (non-AW but 50BMG would be OK!) long guns, you can FTF them. If they are less than 50 years old or handguns, ALL transaction MUST go through a FFL.

nuke_em
02-14-2009, 1:23 PM
ALL transaction MUST go through a FFL.

This is understood but, do I need to transfer/register them in my name first (before selling)?

Blue
02-14-2009, 1:25 PM
Your buddy knows where he got them from, and if he got them legally then he can legally transfer them to you at an FFL.

nuke_em
02-14-2009, 1:28 PM
Your buddy knows where he got them from, and if he got them legally then he can legally transfer them to you at an FFL.

My buddy acquired them without paperwork. No questions asked.

Blue
02-14-2009, 3:42 PM
My buddy acquired them without paperwork. No questions asked.

So he bought them illegally?

eta34
02-14-2009, 3:46 PM
This is understood but, do I need to transfer/register them in my name first (before selling)?

Again, you must make the transfer at an FFL unless they are C&R rifles. Pretty simple. There really is no "cash and carry."

nuke_em
02-14-2009, 4:51 PM
I cant understand why its so difficult to answer my question.

Do I have to register weapons in my name that are acquired from an unknown source BEFORE I re-sell them???

ke6guj
02-14-2009, 5:10 PM
I can’t understand why it’s so difficult to answer my question.

“Do I have to register weapons in my name that are acquired from an unknown source BEFORE I re-sell them???”
because, per your OP, you don't own them yet. You need to purchase them legally with a PPT transfer through a dealer (unless they are firearms that are exempt from the PPT requirement). At that point, any handguns would already be registered in your name. Long guns (except AWs and 50BMGs) are not registered in a person's name. When you do the PPT, any required registration would occur at that time.

So, then, when you sell them and have them PPT'ed at the dealer, any handguns would be registered in the new owner's name.

HowardW56
02-14-2009, 5:44 PM
Im not familiar with the Kali laws so Id thought Id ask here.

I have an opportunity to purchase some rifles, shotguns, and pistols at somewhat reduced market prices. Makes and types are unknown until I inspect them. The current custodian of these weapons has no idea as to their origins or validity of any of them. These could be legally obtained or could be stolen he, nor I, do not know.

The PD or FFL does not make a habit of checking serial numbers for average Joes like me so if I purchase, I suppose Ill take my chances in selling any of them.

Now onto the question: do I have to transfer/register these weapons into my name before I can sell them? I only plan on FTFs as I do not want to ship. I do realize that in the process if they are determined stolen or used in a crime that they will be confiscated on-the-spot. Hopefully with no liability on my part!

EITHER HAVE YOUR FRIEND TRANSFER THE GUNS TO YOU PROPERLY, OR WALK AWAY...

THE POTENTIAL PENALTY IS NOT WORTH A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS

CSACANNONEER
02-14-2009, 5:51 PM
OK, I'm going to assume that "your buddy" bought these guns legally in Ca before 1991 or, brought them here with him when he moved here before the "personal importer" form was required to be submitted. So, assuming the guns are legal, he can legally sell them. The simple fact you can not sell something which you do not own. If there is a reason that he can not sell them himself, I'd suggest that you, acting as your buddy's agent, contact your local FFL and see about putting them on consignment. The FFL could even go as far as going to the hospital and having your dieing buddy sign his own forms. Or, are you in a position to legally sell your buddy's property? If so, you shouldn't even have to ask these questions.

bplvr
02-14-2009, 7:11 PM
This almost sounds like a straw sale . You want to "aquire" guns and sell guns as a 'ghost party' or a gun broker. As your friend aquired them with 'no questions asked' this whole thing seems a little tainted. JMHO

nuke_em
02-15-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will make sure that all the transactions are legal-begal through my FFL :thumbsup: