PDA

View Full Version : Everything's bigger in Texas...

audihenry
02-13-2009, 3:40 PM
http://www.policemag.com/News/2008/03/06/S-C-Sheriffs-Department-Armored-Vehicle-with-Belt-Fed-Machine-Gun.aspx

"...The Richland County Sheriff's Department has acquired an armored personnel carrier complete with a turret-mounted .50-caliber belt-fed machine gun for its Special Response Team."

:eek:

B.D.Dubloon
02-13-2009, 3:42 PM
Lucky sumbiches.

Nodda Duma
02-13-2009, 3:44 PM
What the heck do they need a .50 cal for? Going back to Waco?

-Jason

heycorey
02-13-2009, 3:47 PM
Yep, everything is bigger in Texas. In South Carolina, however, they're belt-fed.

Chris M
02-13-2009, 3:49 PM

-Jason

If they got the money, why not? People questioning the usefulness of certain aspects of firearms is one of the reasons for many of the firearms restrictions we have today.

"Why do civilians need military-style rifles?"
"Who in their right mind would need more than 10 round magazines"

DisgruntledReaper
02-13-2009, 3:51 PM
Well I guess we all found a need for those .50 cal or .510 TC rifles now didnt we....when SHTF and they come to arrest and confiscate the firearms and owners......

OC sherrif down here has like 2-3 APC's set up like N.Ireland and have the mounts but no MG's last I saw them....YEA RIGHT, WHO are they kidding???

Santa Ana SWAT had one that used to say 'police search and rescue" Yea the guy was not too happy when I started quizzing him on it....AND get this...any EBR's that have been stolen...if they 'cant find the owner' turn around and get to be kept and used by the various PD's.....

GEE I guess i know where my stolen Colt AR15 SP1 may have ended up......

audihenry
02-13-2009, 6:05 PM
Yep, everything is bigger in Texas. In South Carolina, however, they're belt-fed.

Man, I'm falling asleep here. Good eye. :)

strangerdude
02-13-2009, 6:06 PM
what a waste of money, they don't need a belt fed.

Crusader
02-13-2009, 6:45 PM

-Jason

That's what I'd expect a leftist to say.

But thanks for the info. *Note to self: In case of Zombies, go to Texas. Also, get milk, we're running low.*

Nodda Duma
02-13-2009, 7:29 PM

But thanks for the info. *Note to self: In case of Zombies, go to Texas. Also, get milk, we're running low.*

Don't be silly. A leftist would say "alright! The cops have an APC so they don't have to tire themselves marching down the street as they protect me! I can hug myself now!"

What I'm wondering is why the sheriff's department gets an APC and a belt-fed .50 when we don't. I see this as just another small step towards a police state. Are YOU comfortable with that thought? Do YOU remember the scenes from Waco?

-Jason

SwissFluCase
02-13-2009, 7:40 PM
If they got the money, why not? People questioning the usefulness of certain aspects of firearms is one of the reasons for many of the firearms restrictions we have today.

There is a world of difference between the citizens owning guns, and the police owning guns. The citizens of this country are supposed to be militarized. That is not the case with the police; they are not supposed to be militarized.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

RedDawn
02-13-2009, 8:18 PM
Top speed of only 30 mph eh...

dwtt
02-13-2009, 8:26 PM
There's no picture of the APC, but it is possibly a transfer from DOD of one of their outdated vehicles. There is a program where old DoD equipment like helicopters and trucks can be transferred to a civilian agency.

Kruzr
02-13-2009, 8:32 PM
This is the same S.C. sheriff who wants to prosecute Michael Phelps for smoking the bong (which, in the picture had no smoke in it.) He can use this thing to raid fraternity houses and save the world from all the pot smokers there.

Vectrexer
02-13-2009, 8:45 PM
what a waste of money, they don't need a belt fed.

everyone needs a belt fed 50! A frozen tree might be in the way.

nick
02-13-2009, 8:49 PM
Heh, if that was in CA, would he have to get an AW letter? Yes, yes, I know, he's the Sheriff, he can write the letter himself :)

nick
02-13-2009, 8:50 PM
There's no picture of the APC, but it is possibly a transfer from DOD of one of their outdated vehicles. There is a program where old DoD equipment like helicopters and trucks can be transferred to a civilian agency.

So if I start my own civilian agency, I can get an old Abrams? Tempting, very tempting :)

ohsmily
02-13-2009, 9:03 PM

You both don't get it. This is essentially the militarization of law enforcement. Why should the police be armed with something that the average citizen may not lawfully be armed with? Unless the average citizen can easily obtain these weapons, the police should not have access to them.

nick
02-13-2009, 9:05 PM
You both don't get it. This is essentially the militarization of law enforcement. Why should the police be armed with something that the average citizen may not lawfully be armed with? Unless the average citizen can easily obtain these weapons, the police should not have access to them.

Much as I hate to admit it, but he gets it. :thumbsup:

timdps
02-13-2009, 9:12 PM
Its NFA, not aa (California definition) assault weapon.

Heh, if that was in CA, would he have to get an AW letter? Yes, yes, I know, he's the Sheriff, he can write the letter himself :)

BroncoBob
02-13-2009, 9:23 PM
Why does that sheriff's name sound familar? Oh yeah he wants to arrest Michael Phelps the all time Olympic champion.

Sheriff arrests eight people in connection with Phelps bong photo
Add a Comment February 10, 5:30 PM
by Roman Mica, Denver Endurance Sports Examiner
PreviousNext
Photo courtesy of the APThe fallout from the Michael Phelps bong photo seen around the world continues.

According to recent news reports eight people have been arrested in connection to the party where Phelps was photographed smoking marijuana from a bong.

According to Fox News:

"Officers from the Richland County Sheriff's Department nabbed seven of the suspects for possession of marijuana and the eighth for dealing, according to a local television station.

One arrest included the suspected owner of the bong — who wasn't even at the party, but was allegedly trying to sell the pipe on eBay for $100,000, WIS reported."

So far Phelps gas not been charged in the case but he has lost the endorsement of Kellogg's.

Michael Phelps has been in the middle of a swirling debate since the infamous photo of the bong hit seen around the world was published last week in a British tabloid newspaper.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott has been on the blunt end of criticism by those who believe he should focus on more serious crimes.

Eric_Oh
02-14-2009, 1:39 PM
what no photo of the vehicle???