PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

rolly
02-13-2009, 1:24 PM
A friend of mine has a rifle: winchester 22LR model 64A

Would you know the value ? (it is in perfect shape)
She got it from her father YEARSSSSSSSSS ago and does not have any papers concerning the registration or ownership.

Should she register the rifle?
Is it legal for her to have this rifle at home without documentation?
How to register it?

Thanks

Blue
02-13-2009, 1:25 PM
There is no registration on rifles, and if she got it from her father I believe the transfer was legal.

B.D.Dubloon
02-13-2009, 1:28 PM
If the father ever registered it, it should be in his name and he could transfer it. If he's dead, than she could probably get some forms from the doj and fill them out and provide a death cert to get it switched over. Either way I wouldn't even do that. It is going to be a big hassle that will cost more than it should. She should just go out and enjoy shooting the gun.

I may be completely wrong but I don't think it is illegal for her to be in possession of it unless it has been reported stolen.

Call the DOJ from a payphone and ask them :)

BDD

Blue
02-13-2009, 1:30 PM
If the father ever registered it, it should be in his name and he could transfer it. If he's dead, than she could probably get some forms from the doj and fill them out and provide a death cert to get it switched over. Either way I wouldn't even do that. It is going to be a big hassle that will cost more than it should. She should just go out and enjoy shooting the gun.

I may be completely wrong but I don't think it is illegal for her to be in possession of it unless it has been reported stolen.

Call the DOJ from a payphone and ask them :)

BDD

Rifles aren't registered unless they're something "special" like an AW.

rolly
02-13-2009, 1:45 PM
There is no registration on rifles, and if she got it from her father I believe the transfer was legal.

There was no transfer: her father is dead and she found the rifle in the house.

Blue
02-13-2009, 1:48 PM
There was no transfer: her father is dead and she found the rifle in the house.

I'd venture to guess it's an inheritance item then, me personally I wouldn't worry about it too much.

rolly
02-13-2009, 1:57 PM
I'd venture to guess it's an inheritance item then, me personally I wouldn't worry about it too much.

How could she prove it?

Also what if she wants to put it for sale? Does she need a proof of ownership ?