PDA

View Full Version : Friend of mine needs some help....

ZRX61
02-13-2009, 12:04 PM
This is his post on another forum:
Ok I had a "nervous breakdown" or whatever you want to call it. Was committed for almost a month. When I came home to my surprise the cops had come and taken all my guns (2 handguns/2 rifles) and put them on a "5-year-hold." Now what do I phkin do?!???

I want my firearms back. One of which is a airloom from my Grandfather & WWI (1903 Springfield.) I apparently can't get them for 5 years. WTF ????

Any advice? I'm going to direct him over here..

Saigon1965
02-13-2009, 12:06 PM
PM Hoffmang and Bwiese for help -

savs2k
02-13-2009, 2:21 PM
agreed

HK fan
02-13-2009, 2:31 PM
he can have an attorney petition the court to challenge the 5150

Meplat
02-13-2009, 2:45 PM
I doubt they can make it stick unless he was “adjudicated” to be a danger to himself or others. But the cost in treasure and irritation may be more than can be born. Probably more practical to get another rifle and pistol to fill in and just wait them out on the family heirlooms.:43:

This is his post on another forum:

Any advice? I'm going to direct him over here..

vrand
02-13-2009, 2:53 PM
I doubt they can make it stick unless he was “adjudicated” to be a danger to himself or others. But the cost in treasure and irritation may be more than can be born. Probably more practical to get another rifle and pistol to fill in and just wait them out on the family heirlooms.:43:

yep

BONECUTTER
02-13-2009, 2:58 PM
Probably more practical to get another rifle and pistol to fill in and just wait them out on the family heirlooms.:43:

This might make that a bit hard.....

4473 :f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes having been adjudicated incompetent to manage your own
affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

=Denied

Tell you buddy to contact a lawyer or wait.

ZRX61
02-13-2009, 10:39 PM
But the cost in treasure and irritation may be more than can be born.

I think part of the reason he lost the plot was because ill health caused unemployment & therefore financial probs. He basically hasn't got a pot to piss in right now.

TheBundo
02-14-2009, 2:56 AM
He can probably get them turned over to a relative somehow, especially the family heirlooms. They can take them away even if the person was seemingly suicidal by means of alcohol and pills, and not guns. Yet for some reason, they aren't banned from getting more alcohol and pills. I knew a lady at work that had that happen. Women rarely shoot themselves, but still she said she had to wait the rest of the 5 years of go to court with a petition. I'm not sure what she did, as she got the lay-off notice a few months ago.

dark45
02-14-2009, 4:31 AM
i would say fight it with all he has got espetialy with a sentimental value like that. i mean who knows how well they will take care of them on top of it all.

Kid Stanislaus
02-14-2009, 7:13 AM
Note to self: never seek help if depressed.

CSACANNONEER
02-14-2009, 7:15 AM
Note to self: never seek help if depressed.

Note to self: Never get THAT depressed!

7x57
02-14-2009, 7:18 AM
Note to self: if driven to jump off a high building, try to hit a lawmaker. :rolleyes:

7x57

Blue
02-14-2009, 7:43 AM
Depending on the dept a family member may be able to pick them up. A buddy of mine spent a week in the funny farm, and his father was allowed to take possession of his guns. I don't know if they said he can't own firearms or whatever, but I do know that the local PD called his dad and they handled it that way.

MP301
02-14-2009, 5:36 PM
Depending on the dept a family member may be able to pick them up. A buddy of mine spent a week in the funny farm, and his father was allowed to take possession of his guns. I don't know if they said he can't own firearms or whatever, but I do know that the local PD called his dad and they handled it that way.

Very cool of the local PD to do it that way....