PDA

View Full Version : Any FFLs in San Diego or L.A.?

skem2008
02-13-2009, 9:41 AM
My dad is purchasing a Cobray PM11 and would like to gift it to me.
I went to a few gun stores and they said this is not legal.
Any FFLs in the SoCal?

GenLee
02-13-2009, 9:55 AM
Gusslers@gmail.com , Don is in Santee ca. (San Diego) by appointment only!! E-Mail him he will take care of you. He know's the law and will do whats legal.

pneutin
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Are you 21 yet?

skem2008
02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks I actually live in Santee

Yes I am of age to own hand guns

skem2008
02-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Can I get more than one gun gifted from him?

eflatminor
02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure what a Cobray is, but if it's a handgun that is not on the approved list, the only way to get it gifted from your out-of-state father, is through an Interfamilial Transfer. It's a form from the DOJ website. You'll have to bring in the gun into the state physically or have your father bring it to you. The form is no big deal, I've done it with several handguns from my Ohio parents. There may be a limit on how many can be gifted. I've never done more than three in one year.

ChuckBooty
02-13-2009, 10:50 AM
+1

Easiest way to go is to have your father actually bring you the gun. You don't even have to use an FFL if this is the case:

Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?

Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12078(c))

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#20 ]

ke6guj
02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure what a Cobray is, but if it's a handgun that is not on the approved list, the only way to get it gifted from your out-of-state father, is through an Interfamilial Transfer. It's a form from the DOJ website. You'll have to bring in the gun into the state physically or have your father bring it to you.
it would need to be an intrafamily transfer facilitated through a CA FFL. There is no federal intrafamily exemption to transfering firearms between unlicensed individuals of different states.

The form is no big deal, I've done it with several handguns from my Ohio parents. There may be a limit on how many can be gifted. I've never done more than three in one year.The form does not make it legal to do an intrafamily transfer across state lines without an FFL involved. Not a good idea to admit to federal felonies like that if you didn't have them transfered through a dealer.

+1

Easiest way to go is to have your father actually bring you the gun. You don't even have to use an FFL if this is the case:

]If the father lives out of state, he can either ship to your local FFL or hand deliver it to the FFL. The FFL will then DROS it to you as an exempt transfer. The FFL is not limited to the $35 PPT fee, and can charge you whatever fee they want.

The CADOJ faq does not consider federal law in its answers.

jnojr
02-13-2009, 2:47 PM
My dad is purchasing a Cobray PM11 and would like to gift it to me.
I went to a few gun stores and they said this is not legal.
Any FFLs in the SoCal?

Royal Loan is very pro-2A, and will do probably any legal transfer.

Unique Pawn used to be excellent, but I got the impression they may have been worn down. I do remember the owner telling me, years ago, that he kept his FFL just to spite the liberals. But he also said that every year, the restrictions and requirements and the expense went up.

http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html lists every FFL in San Diego County that I'm aware of.

FlyingDesertEagle
02-13-2009, 6:15 PM
If your father comes out for a visit? What then? Is it illegal for him to bring the Cobra pistol with him?

ke6guj
02-13-2009, 6:41 PM
As long as the handgun is otherwise CA-legal, no pistol AW or hi-cap mags, your father could bring it with him as he travels. Also remembering to transport it in a legal method. When he goes back home, he'd take the handgun back home with him.

He can't just give it to you while he's visiting. That wouldbe a violation of federal law. He'd have to take it to your local FFL to have transfered to you.

motorhead
02-13-2009, 6:42 PM
cobray is a MAC 11. threaded muzzle is a problem.

ke6guj
02-13-2009, 6:44 PM
OP mentions a PM11, the post-ban, off-list version with an unthreaded barrel.

XDshooter
02-13-2009, 6:49 PM
Not that is matters to the OP, but you only have to be 18 to get a handgun via intra family transfer.

pTa
02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
thas good to know my PA gave us handguns in high school