PDA

View Full Version : Transport guns in SUV, no locking trunk

Rivers
02-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I know about transporting handguns in a locked container, etc. I know that the locked trunk of your car is considered a locked container. But what if you have a small SUV (specifically a Honda Element) that does not have a dedicated locking trunk but where the storage area is not accessible unless the vehicle is stopped? Then access is available by exiting the vehicle, walking back to the rear hatch and unlocking / opening the hatch. (There are two front seat occupants who are unable to physically climb over the seats, etc. to even reach the storage area.) Does this satisfy the legal requirements?

domokun
02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
No. Please see the definition of a locked container in California penal code excerpt below:

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

Does your storage area in your SUV meet the criteria set above?

Casual Observer
02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I know about transporting handguns in a locked container, etc. I know that the locked trunk of your car is considered a locked container. But what if you have a small SUV (specifically a Honda Element) that does not have a dedicated locking trunk but where the storage area is not accessible unless the vehicle is stopped? Then access is available by exiting the vehicle, walking back to the rear hatch and unlocking / opening the hatch. (There are two front seat occupants who are unable to physically climb over the seats, etc. to even reach the storage area.) Does this satisfy the legal requirements?

In short- no. There needs to be some sort of lock on the container.

You can buy an el cheapo case and a $4 lock at home depot and you're covered.

Rivers
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Does your storage area in your SUV meet the criteria set above?

I'd say that it's an arguable point that it does satisfy that legal requirement, as much as one could still access the contents of a car's trunk through the back seat. But "arguable" is equal to "let's see how much money I can spend on an attorney." So the short answer is to just put a small padlock on the zipper handles of the nylon handgun bags.

rbgaynor
02-13-2009, 10:51 AM
I'd say that it's an arguable point that it does satisfy that legal requirement, as much as one could still access the contents of a car's trunk through the back seat. But "arguable" is equal to "let's see how much money I can spend on an attorney." So the short answer is to just put a small padlock on the zipper handles of the nylon handgun bags.

That's what I do. Master lock makes small retractable cable locks that work well on bags where you don't have two zipper pulls you can easily lock together, like Midway's big black range bag.

wildog8812
02-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I asked a police officer if this satisfies the requirement, because I have a Ford Explorer that has no trunk. He said he doesn't know anyone that would throw a fit over it, but there is always that chance. Just be safe and get a cheap lock box at a local gun shop.

tombinghamthegreat
02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I asked a police officer if this satisfies the requirement, because I have a Ford Explorer that has no trunk. He said he doesn't know anyone that would throw a fit over it, but there is always that chance. Just be safe and get a cheap lock box at a local gun shop.

The police are not a relyable source of legal info. For the handguns/ammo/mags just get a backpack with a cheap lock, briefcase and put it all in there. Then just put it under the seat or where ever,just avoid a glove box. Or there is putting the firearm in plain sight....just letting you know the opitions.

Why is there so much locked container threads lately? More importantly why is there so much FUD being posted on them?

uzigalil
02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Another thing to think of, I always transport any weapon to the range in locked pelican cases, because I saw a TA once where the car rolled and its guns in soft cases went everywhere and where badly damaged. Safe and legal

I know of another case where the driver had his guns in pelican case that exited his vehicle in a accident on the 101, a car hit the case on the freeway and cracked the case, the gunswere fine and pelican replaced the case for free.

DDT
02-13-2009, 2:25 PM
The police are not a relyable source of legal info. For the handguns/ammo/mags just get a backpack with a cheap lock, briefcase and put it all in there. Then just put it under the seat or where ever,just avoid a glove box. Or there is putting the firearm in plain sight....just letting you know the opitions.

Why is there so much locked container threads lately? More importantly why is there so much FUD being posted on them?

No reason to avoid the glove box or utility box as long you don't rely on them as your lock. Plain sight is certainly an option but will cause for a much longer traffic stop if you do get pulled over for anything.