PDA

View Full Version : The Saga of the M16

Tony Sopranno
02-13-2009, 9:39 AM
The Saga of the M16 in Vietnam:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-10425.html

I thought this was an interesting read, about the design, history, and practical problems pertaining to the M-16, as a combat weapon in the days of the Vietnam War.

I was issued one in the USAF and often had to sleep with it while on security post. But I had no idea its history and development was so sorted. :eek:

djleisure
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Whoa - that's a looong read. Bookmarked for a rainy day! (like, tomorrow)

Thanks for the link!

SwissFluCase
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Good read. I will never give up my M1A. The M14 was easily the best rifle ever fielded by the US.

The little AR is a good defensive arm though, but there is no place in this world for a monster AR that weighs several pounds more than an M14. What's the point?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Tony Sopranno
02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, it's long but I read it last night and this morning... in two sittings.

Here's a U-tube video of just what the writer was describing about the floor plate popping out and all the rounds go flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI&feature=related

I guess the moral here is to keep your weapon clean. It scared the bejeeeeeezzzuz out of this guy. Hope it's not a re-post.

uxo2
02-13-2009, 12:12 PM
almost as bad as the Infantry Fighting Vehicle..

aka ""Bradley"

Blue
02-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, it's long but I read it last night and this morning... in two sittings.

Here's a U-tube video of just what the writer was describing about the floor plate popping out and all the rounds go flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI&feature=related

I guess the moral here is to keep your weapon clean. It scared the bejeeeeeezzzuz out of this guy. Hope it's not a re-post.

I don't see an M16 in that vid :p

Crusader
02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
For the love of God, I haven't seen so many words since I read my entire collection of Encyclopedias.

uzigalil
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
If you want a good read get last months and this months issue of small arms review interview with reed knight.

Tony Sopranno
02-13-2009, 1:26 PM
I don't see an M16 in that vid :p
Well, the floor plate blew out and the rounds went flying as described in the text on the M16 in Vietnam..... was all I said. :D

Blue
02-13-2009, 1:30 PM
Well, the floor plate blew out and the rounds went flying as described in the text on the M16 in Vietnam..... was all I said. :D

Yea, it just irked me that the OP of the vid on youtube called it an M16.

smle-man
02-13-2009, 3:43 PM
The Saga of the M16 in Vietnam:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-10425.html

I thought this was an interesting read, about the design, history, and practical problems pertaining to the M-16, as a combat weapon in the days of the Vietnam War.

I was issued one in the USAF and often had to sleep with it while on security post. But I had no idea its history and development was so sorted. :eek:

Sleeping on guard duty? Time for an Article 15!

Kid Stanislaus
02-13-2009, 3:54 PM
[B]I was issued one in the USAF and often had to sleep with it while on security post.

WHAT?!!!

Kid Stanislaus
02-13-2009, 3:57 PM
Alexander Rose covers the whole story of the M16 in his outstanding book, "American Rifle: A Biography".

Tony Sopranno
02-13-2009, 7:08 PM
Sleeping on guard duty? Time for an Article 15!I was "volunteered" to do it, as the senior-most junior NCO in my regular duty section. I got "augmented" into the security side of base ops. Not my idea, but you learn fast from the regular AP's -- always in pairs, one sleeps the other watches and listens. When the food (field rations) truck rolls up, they always give you a minute to collect yourself and wake up before engaging on any level. It was something that everyone on the job knew about, but no one talked about it. It was done out in the field, way out in the boonies, too. :)

Thankfully it was only for a month. Before long I was back at my regular duty station where I was sorely missed for our regular card games, and "appropriating" base supplies for our collective recreational purposes.. This was all during a long dry spell, coincidental with one of many halts in bombing over the North -- "peace feelers" they called them!!!

There were other times I worked 12, 18, and 20+ hours straight with no rest, so tired I couldn't remember my own name. It's like that, a few hours of insane excitement, surrounded by weeks and months of total boredom. Anyone says otherwise... they're lying!

FTR: There was also the time I was asked to "volunteer" for a spook op, out of country, under "Project 404." The CIA's Air America contingent at our base covertly recruited USAF military people, to work as "civilian" technicians in a neighboring country -- Laos. And that.... was all too real, too.

Kid Stanislaus
02-14-2009, 7:55 AM
The story of the M-16 is also well covered in Alexander Rose's "American Rifle, A Biography". $30 @ B&N